Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Humorpalanta

WG "adjusting" ships

11 comments in this topic

[-HUN-]
[-HUN-]
Players
1,433 posts
10,977 battles

Okay so I have seen the newest info about "balancing" ships and I just couldn't make it without opening up this thread.

So Udaloi is getting a rethink. It is not a strictly said "nerf" or "buff" but a rethink.

Spoiler

IX UDALOI

• Stock torpedo module "53-49" was changed to module "53-49М". Torpedo parameters were changed the following way:
    • Torpedo range increased from 6 to 8 km;
    • Torpedo speed reduced from 69 to 66 knots;
  • Researchable torpedo module "53-49M" was changed to module "53-49 mod.4". Torpedo parameters were changed the following way:
    • Torpedo range increased from 8 to 10 km;
    • Torpedo speed reduced from 66 to 60 knots;
    • Maximum torpedo damage increased from 14 600 to 15 100;
    • Torpedo tubes reload time increased from 129 to 134 s;
  • "Defensive AA Fire" consumable moved to 5th slot;
  • Number of "Engine Boost" and "Smoke Generator" consumables reduced from 3 to 2. 

Because so far you could have used it as a nice open water pew pew boat with some torps at hand for adding some damage. But with this change there is a change in the basic play mode of this ship. You are losing a smoke and an engine boost. With this setup this is more of a torp and run while you make some pew pew damage kind of playstyle. You cannot play as agressive as before because you lose chance to smoke up or speed out of there.

And this annoys me. NOT the fact that Udaloi needs a nerf but the fact that they are changing the basics of a ship while calling it "adjusting" or "balancing". No bro, this is a whole different ship. If you gave it a bit worse reload or bit less damage on torps that is a nerf and doesn't change the playstyle. But these kind of changes completely change the playstyle of a ship and this is damn annoying. You need to rethink the whole ship, your playstyle, the modules you use or the captain build you have.

WG has been doing this ever since I joined and it is very annoying. How many good ships have been ruined by this so far?

Can you help me collect those ships which have been touched so many times that the playstyle changed over and over? I have some beloved ones and yes some were lost due to "reconstruction" of trees. I am looking at you Fubuki, Cleveland. RIP.

The ones I loved:

Fubuki

Cleveland

Blyska

Atalanta

Mutsuki

Shiratsuyu

• Cool 2

[-TPF-]
Players
4,268 posts
17,845 battles
6 minutes ago, Humorpalanta said:

Because so far you could have used it as a nice open water pew pew boat with some torps at hand for adding some damage. But with this change there is a change in the basic play mode of this ship. You are losing a smoke and an engine boost. With this setup this is more of a torp and run while you make some pew pew damage kind of playstyle. You cannot play as agressive as before because you lose chance to smoke up or speed out of there.

You still can. They've buffed the ship's torpedoes substantially (any loss of speed is fixable with modules and skills) and reverted the number of charges of Smoke and EB to the number it had with basic consumables, two weeks ago. You can always get those back by speccing into SI captain skills... maybe they're trying to make captain skills more relevant? 

• Bad 1

Beta Tester
1,036 posts
11,179 battles

Its the nature of the beast. Constant change of ships, of the meta. They do this so that you spend money on the game. Its easier than having real creative talent to make new and interesting maps, game play modes, etc. I thought you knew that when you entered the milking shed? No mirrors in there, so you don't know how you are, but they see you as milk cow.
It all started with the huge nerf hammer to Yubari and Sims after CBT ended. That should have been warning enough.

• Cool 1

[NWP]
Players
2,992 posts
17,341 battles

This change brings it more in line with Grozovoi. So it is a logical step.

• Cool 3

Players
6,864 posts
11,298 battles
27 minutes ago, 159Hunter said:

This change brings it more in line with Grozovoi. So it is a logical step.

More in line with Ognevoi and Grozovoi. I never understood why you lose 2 km torp range coming from Ognevoi. and lets face it: 8 km on T9 is really bad. I like the change.

• Cool 1

[SM0KE]
Players
6,220 posts
14,732 battles
4 minutes ago, ForlornSailor said:

I like the change.

At first look, I tend to agree - I've always thought that, in its existing form, Udaloi ought to be in the 'dakka' line (or be a premium)...

The OP is right though, this does change the ship fundamentally; I just happen to prefer the look of the new version, so I'm not upset.

[-HUN-]
[-HUN-]
Players
1,433 posts
10,977 battles
37 minutes ago, invicta2012 said:

You still can. They've buffed the ship's torpedoes substantially (any loss of speed is fixable with modules and skills) and reverted the number of charges of Smoke and EB to the number it had with basic consumables, two weeks ago. You can always get those back by speccing into SI captain skills... maybe they're trying to make captain skills more relevant? 

I am not saying you can't but you are not suggested as the optimal build for the ship changes by this. You see you have to GIVE UP other skills in order to get back those +1s. And that is exactly what I am saying. That WG is annoyingly tinkering ships here and there so the optimal build changes and you are basically pushed by MM to change the shipbuilds and use resources therefore pay. Instead they could have just "nerfed" the ship itself so it would have been almost the same just losing some. Some dakka or some HP or some torps. But this is a complete overthinking of the ship's role on the battlefield.

[I-J-N]
Players
5,511 posts
15 minutes ago, Humorpalanta said:

I am not saying you can't but you are not suggested as the optimal build for the ship changes by this. You see you have to GIVE UP other skills in order to get back those +1s. And that is exactly what I am saying. That WG is annoyingly tinkering ships here and there so the optimal build changes and you are basically pushed by MM to change the shipbuilds and use resources therefore pay. Instead they could have just "nerfed" the ship itself so it would have been almost the same just losing some. Some dakka or some HP or some torps. But this is a complete overthinking of the ship's role on the battlefield.

Not sure if nerfing it rather than adjusting it would have brought better results. There are some lines where you suddenly get a worse ship when you go one tier higher. At least the stock version of the Östergötland feels very inferior to the tier 8 Öland. Will have to see what I will think when I manage to upgrade it a bit. So far, not very promising....

Players
8,456 posts
9,251 battles
2 hours ago, invicta2012 said:

You can always get those back by speccing into SI captain skills...

People aren't running SI already on a DD that gets repair party, smoke and engine boost? What?

Overall, I don't care about the torps. The consumable change is crap because WG is pretending getting defAA is worth a smoke. It's not. And that is different from torp change, as the Ognevoi changes show. Ognevoi only gets the consumable rebalance. If this was pre-rework with defAA being worth a damn, I'd call this ok, now it's just crap.

In general I'm not averse though to ships getting their concepts altered, as for one "Balance changes" is the blanket term they use for any change in the performance parameters, and also, Udaloi getting a different role from Tashkent is kinda sensible. Having two gunboats at T9, but one with smoke was a bit weird.

[-TPF-]
Players
4,268 posts
17,845 battles
12 minutes ago, Bunny_Lover_Kallen said:

Overall, I don't care about the torps. The consumable change is crap because WG is pretending getting defAA is worth a smoke. It's not

Aren't they moving it so that you can have DFAA or Smoke, as opposed to DFAA or EB as it is now? 

Players
8,456 posts
9,251 battles
14 minutes ago, invicta2012 said:

Aren't they moving it so that you can have DFAA or Smoke, as opposed to DFAA or EB as it is now? 

No, defAA is now in 5th slot, so, a seperate slot next to Damage Control, Repair Party, Smoke and Engine Boost. 

Sign in to follow this