PT 0.9.5 - Dockyard

77 comments in this topic

[WG]
WG Staff
4,646 posts
4,418 battles

WG_SPB_WoWs_screenshots_Spee_parad_1920x1080.jpg

Captains!

The main feature of Update 0.9.5 is the Dockyard, where players will be able to construct two German ships at once: flag_Germany_18970d883c7758b53538983bd09premium_1114542bcd311c388080eea3a4d54a7eVI Admiral Graf Spee and flag_Germany_18970d883c7758b53538983bd09premium_1d0cabf1997104fd727039ab9c098192VIII Odin. The Dockyard rules have been simplified in comparison to the previous iteration.

List of changes

• Ship construction at the Dockyard consists of 20 shipbuilding phases, which you can advance through by completing Directives or spending doubloons.
  • The reward is flag_Germany_18970d883c7758b53538983bd09premium_1114542bcd311c388080eea3a4d54a7eVI Admiral Graf Spee in a "War Paint" camouflage. The ship becomes available upon completing shipbuilding phase 10.
  • You can reach shipbuilding phase 18 out of 20 by completing Directives.
  • Phases 19 and 20 can be completed only by spending doubloons.
  • The cost of completing one shipbuilding phase will be 1,750 doubloons.

The process of obtaining flag_Germany_18970d883c7758b53538983bd09premium_1d0cabf1997104fd727039ab9c098192VIII Odin is quite similar to the flag_United_Kingdom_c1f75d7cca85dc4b4820premium_9ffc494df739f989c98f2dd3a4e40887VIII Cossack Marathon. By completing the Directives, you'll get flag_Germany_18970d883c7758b53538983bd09premium_1114542bcd311c388080eea3a4d54a7eVI Admiral Graf Spee and various other rewards from the Dockyard, as well as a massive discount on Odin.

WG_SPB_WoWs_screenshots_odin_parad_1920x1080.jpg

Please note: the Directives will be available for 2 full updates of 0.9.5–0.9.6

For testing purposes, the completion conditions for Directives and rewards on the Public Test server may differ from those on the Live Server.

[THESO]
Players
1,267 posts
16,478 battles

Unfortunately the article does not explain how the Odin is supposed to ever be more than an utter disappointment, having 16500 HP less than a Tirpitz. Even a Bismarck with stock-hull has 11700 HP more.

Show of hands: Who thought A-hull Bismarck was fun to play?

Well, imagine how much fun it's gonna be sitting in this "cruiser", taking up a BB spot, bouncing off AP on cruiser belts.

At least this ship was discussed before Wargamings gag order on CCs, so now we're all aware of what a bad ship the Odin is going to be in it's current iteration.

She is not just bad, she seems to be designed bad on purpose. No ship-designer can honestly think a ship with a health pool closest to T6-Bayern will compete in T8. This thing will be kekt on by CVs even if top tier and be an utter punishment if bottom tier.

Should we really commit to a reasonable but lengthy grind and pay doubloons worth 12€ for a ship that frustrates us and ruins our stats?

Please explain, el presidente.

• Cool 3
  • Boring 1

[OZYR]
[OZYR]
Players
719 posts
14,578 battles

I don't know why I have the impression that the intro animation is MUCH poorer than in the PR "event". Just my two cents

• Cool 1

Players
1,673 posts
11,704 battles

So after watching Flamu's PTS video. Do you now sell steel for money or is this only on PTS? In the video is clearly to see, if you whale the ship and research it for doubloon you can afterwards complete the directives for 250 steel each, which is a total of what, 5000 steel? Was just a matter of time to make this step i suppose.

[SHAD]
Players
154 posts
5 hours ago, HrMsVanSpeijk said:

Completed all 20 building phases. No ODIN????

On PTS you get 100k Coal instead as Odin is still WiP

13 minutes ago, ThePurpleSmurf said:

So after watching Flamu's PTS video. Do you now sell steel for money or is this only on PTS? In the video is clearly to see, if you whale the ship and research it for doubloon you can afterwards complete the directives for 250 steel each, which is a total of what, 5000 steel? Was just a matter of time to make this step i suppose.

Its not that you get 250 Steel for completing all 20 stages, its say you buy 10 stages for Dubs then complete the other 10 stages through Directives you get the ship then happen to complete the remaining 10 stages from Directives as you already have the ship instead of them left over stages being completed and doing nothing they are compensated for with 250 Steel.

Players
1,673 posts
11,704 battles
5 minutes ago, StBg17 said:

On PTS you get 100k Coal instead as Odin is still WiP

Its not that you get 250 Steel for completing all 20 stages, its say you buy 10 stages for Dubs then complete the other 10 stages through Directives you get the ship then happen to complete the remaining 10 stages from Directives as you already have the ship instead of them left over stages being completed and doing nothing they are compensated for with 250 Steel.

Exactly, so if you buy the ship at day one you can grind all stages and get 250 steel each. That's the point - you whale the ship so you have the ship and then you get on top of that 250 steel for each stage that you grind after you built the ship. And this is only possible after investing the cash to buy the ship for doubloons through the dockyard.

[SHAD]
Players
154 posts
3 minutes ago, ThePurpleSmurf said:

Exactly, so if you buy the ship at day one you can grind all stages and get 250 steel each. That's the point - you whale the ship so you have the ship and then you get on top of that 250 steel for each stage that you grind after you built the ship. And this is only possible after investing the cash to buy the ship for doubloons through the dockyard.

If somebody really wants to spend 35,000 Doubloons on the Odin almost 3x the cost of the Tirpitz for a ship that is mediocre at best for the sake of 5,000 Steel thats their prerogative I won't be doing that I'll Grind her for the 18 and buy the last 2 stages, I won't stop others from spending loads of money on a ship not worth 35k its their money.   

Players
1,673 posts
11,704 battles
5 minutes ago, StBg17 said:

If somebody really wants to spend 35,000 Doubloons on the Odin almost 3x the cost of the Tirpitz for a ship that is mediocre at best for the sake of 5,000 Steel thats their prerogative I won't be doing that I'll Grind her for the 18 and buy the last 2 stages, I won't stop others from spending loads of money on a ship not worth 35k its their money.   

That's how WG thinks as well. The point is that steel was supposed to be somewhat exclusive, a currency for competetive players, which is only a very small amount of the playerbase. They already flattened the value of steel by making steel ships available for coal and handing out steel like candy for many things. So the final step is that people, no matter if they play competetive or co-op only, have access to this 'exclusive' currency if their wallet is big enough. This removes one of the last motivations to play competetive. The motivation to own one of those rare ships like Stalingrad or Bourgogne. Something competetive players have a long term goal by earning these status symbols. But the course WG takes means, that everyone can own these prestigious symbols if they just spend enough money. That's a slap in the face of competetive players to say the least.

Weekend Tester
1,329 posts
34,605 battles

So I always liked how such events worked in World of Tanks. There is a prize, and 10 stages during the marathon. Each stage gives you a 10% discount on the prize, so if you do them all, voilà, free vehicle. If you don't (want to) go all the way (the difficulty is increasing), you are still left with something and can get the tank cheaper.

This dockyard is pretty much a mix. The price is 35.000 doubloons, you can grind a 90% discount (18 out of 20 steps), then you have to pay 10% (3500) for the final 10%. Honestly, I would have liked a way to get it for free completely, even if it means a PR-like hardcore grind for the final 10%. I know this is not popular, and WG probably wants to eliminate any chance for yet another s-storm. Although I think that with the right communication, it would be possible without another hell breaking loose.

[OZYR]
[OZYR]
Players
719 posts
14,578 battles

Actually I have to amend my earlier comment, it isn't about the level of detail  (which is amazing!! btw ) but...somehow resolution related....

[LUSOS]
Players
341 posts
20,123 battles

As always, game isnt wotking as suppoused to.

this is my dockyard, so the usual bug continues unaddressed...

image.thumb.png.50748f0f4ef4f75e9fc518c9cba25abe.png

Edit: if u cant see the printscreen, thats another recurrent bug...

[OZYR]
[OZYR]
Players
719 posts
14,578 battles

There is a bug. It  flickers between my  current state ( Phase 14) and the starting of the shipbuilding process.It goes like  Phase 14> Phase 0 > Phase 14. 

And it is constant (* i.e it happens EVERY TIME) . Also I think that this is what the upper comment actually meant

On 5/22/2020 at 6:14 PM, powerverde said:

As always, game isnt wotking as suppoused to.

this is my dockyard, so the usual bug continues unaddressed...

image.thumb.png.50748f0f4ef4f75e9fc518c9cba25abe.png

Edit: if u cant see the printscreen, thats another recurrent bug...

Players
841 posts
12,099 battles

By completing PTS directives 1 through 4, i can only reach shipyard stage 10 out of 20. Yet there's a live server reward (1 WG container) for completing the build on both PTS phase 1 and 2 each

image.png.ecb8508c7a78217c55dc6a9d20f5f9ed.png

, which brings up two questions:

1) Are we supposed to complete construction on the PTS with doubloons, starting on stage 10 instead of 18 on the live server?

2) Will the progress be reset for phase 2 so that we can get a second container by completing the construction for a second time?

[OZYR]
[OZYR]
Players
719 posts
14,578 battles
5 minutes ago, Belustigungspanda said:

By completing PTS directives 1 through 4, i can only reach shipyard stage 10 out of 20. Yet there's a live server reward (1 WG container) for completing the build on both PTS phase 1 and 2 each

image.png.ecb8508c7a78217c55dc6a9d20f5f9ed.png

, which brings up two questions:

1) Are we supposed to complete construction on the PTS with doubloons, starting on stage 10 instead of 18 on the live server?

2) Will the progress be reset for phase 2 so that we can get a second container by completing the construction for a second time?

1) either way.

2) You can go through only once the phases

Players
841 posts
12,099 battles
Just now, Andrewbassg said:

1) either way.

2) You can go through only once the phases

1) What do you mean? After stage 10, there isn't any progress any more without doubloons. There just is no second way.

2) Then why are there two check marks in the news article? They usually indicate that you will be able to complete the mission in both phase 1 and phase 2 and that you will also get the full reward each time.

[OZYR]
[OZYR]
Players
719 posts
14,578 battles
9 hours ago, Belustigungspanda said:

1) What do you mean? After stage 10, there isn't any progress any more without doubloons. There just is no second way.

2) Then why are there two check marks in the news article? They usually indicate that you will be able to complete the mission in both phase 1 and phase 2 and that you will also get the full reward each time.

1) Yes. With dubloons

2) I VERY much doubt that. But I don;t know for sure

[M-E-7]
Players
2 posts

Got a problem.

Ive got to stage 16 in the dockyard but no Graf Spey

I cant access the Armoury 

Any thoughts, clues or answers would be appreciated

[PUPSI]
Privateer
11,660 posts
20 minutes ago, Pampysi said:

because the two ship rewards are replaced with coal on the PTS

[1701]
Players
129 posts
13,650 battles

I have no UI in Dockyard so no way to finish the construction

EDET: also, resolution drops drastically

when entering Dockyard

• Cool 1

[OZYR]
[OZYR]
Players
719 posts
14,578 battles
3 hours ago, Pampysi said:

Got a problem.

I cant access the Armoury 

Any thoughts, clues or answers would be appreciated

3 hours ago, Klopirat said:

because the two ship rewards are replaced with coal on the PTS

WUT?!? I  actually got the Graf!!

• Cool 1

Players
1,872 posts
3,545 battles

@Crysantos @MrConway Wg, can you please give Odin her hold HP back?. I've been seeing it in the last couple of days being played by Flamu and the constant issue is that the HP is too low for the tier. 

I mean, it's supposed to be a brawler, okay, fair enough, but you don't have the HP to brawl; even if someone plays it perfectly he's just going to get melted because it doesn't have the HP to sustain dmg. I mean, why would anyone play this over the Tirpitz. I think you can understand that it faces ships with around 10k more HP than it already at Tier 8, not to think about when it faces Tier 9 and 10 ships (as it can happen), against ships that have from 20k to 50k more HP. 

• Cool 1

Players
1,872 posts
3,545 battles

@Crysantos @MrConway Follow-up to my previous post.

Even if Odin's HP nerf was somewhat justified (which is not, also considering that it goes against the ship's concept of being a brawler), the problem is that it has nothing to compensate for the lower HP. I mean, i've never heard anyone complain abotu Jean Bart and Bourgogne's HP, for the following reasons, first of which being that we know that they are Tier 8 and 9 ships, purposely uptiered, and so we know that the HP is at Tier 8 and 9 "levels" (Jean Bart  actually has a bit more, with 69.000 HP, while Richelieu has 63.700, but still not at +70k levels of Tier 9; while Bourgogne has the same HP of Alsace), yes, Jean Bart is the real ship, but game wise, Jean Bart is an uptiered Richelieu and Bourgogne is an uptiered Alsace.

The main reason however, i think, is that (other than having better sigma than their "tech tree counterparts") they have something unique, a gimmick that compensates for the lower HP, it might not be intended as such, but imo, it's the purpose it serves, in their case being Main Battery Reload Booster. You have less HP, but you have more firepower, not to mention the fact that on Jean Bart you can mount Main Armament mod. 3, which you can't on Richelieu.

Talking about Odin now; what does it have of "unique" to compensate for the low HP?

-The guns? Hmm... well, they reload in 20 seconds and they have 2.0 sigma, but... Scharnhorst has the same charachetristic, if i can call it that way, it too has 20s reload and 2.0 sigma, but she has 56.300 HP, which is just 2k short of Gneisenau that has 58.200, which makes sense, as it is within the "HP range" of Tier 7, which is 50k and above (lowest being Lyon and 53k btw).

It was said in fact, back when Odin's HP nerf was announced, that with that HP, it was more suited as a Tier 7 rather than a Tier 8.

- Torpedoes? Tirpitz has them and she has 69.300 HP, 100 more than Bismarck actually.

- Hydro? same story, Bismarck has it.

- Armour? Hmm... armour doesn't really compensates for anything when HE-spam exists

the other consumables are standard, so they don't really compensate for anything.

Now, yes, Odin has both hydro and toprs, however, hydro is good for pushing, especially DDs, and the torps are only 6km range; both of these things emphasizethe fact that Odin is a brawler, just like Bismarck that has Hydro and Tirpitz that has torps (also Gneisenau and Scharnhorst); so, to get close, you need to travel a certain distance, i'm not saying you must get within 6km to use your torps, but still, if you are a brawler, you must close the distances. 

What's most likley going to happen to you while you close the distances? People are going to shoot you, as they do with every other ship; and what helps you sustain dmg while pushing in is, other than your angling (to counter which, however, people can just shoot HE or shoot your superstructure), your HP. 

Now, Flamu "proposed" on stream two days ago iirc, that maybe giving Odin a better heal, might at least alleviate the low HP. If i remember, Massa (as well as Georgia and Ohio) got a "improved" heal (better cooldown) as it's supposed to be a brawler too, but it doesn't have the armour to sustain damage as well as the German BBs. Odin on the other hand, does have the armour, but it doesn't have the HP, so maybe giving it the "Massa Heal" might compensate for it.

Again, Odin is supposed to be a brawler, but you don't want to brawl anyone because even the ships of your own Tier, which are the ones you're most likely to fight, already have 10 more HP than you. Even Bismarck, which you're very likely to face at Tier 8 has 16.400 HP more than Odin; that's more than an entier citadel hit!!!!