Jadefalken

Mogami Tier 8 IJN Cruiser Guns Question

17 comments in this topic

[SAD-]
Beta Tester, Players
751 posts
8,201 battles

Hello all,

I have a question which I am puzzled about.

The two gun choice you have are the stock 155mm guns with a range of 13.4KM and the 203mm guns which in the stats also have a 13.4km range.

I have asked which gun type to use with the Mogami in the in-game chat and people have said the 203MM have better range. Is it a typo with the Statics page or is there really a difference?

Hope you can help me, I enjoy the 155mm but the range is rather low so if there is a boost I would definitely choose the 203's 

• Cool 3

Supertester
3,124 posts
1,275 battles

Hello all,

I have a question which I am puzzled about.

The two gun choice you have are the stock 155mm guns with a range of 13.4KM and the 203mm guns which in the stats also have a 13.4km range.

I have asked which gun type to use with the Mogami in the in-game chat and people have said the 203MM have better range. Is it a typo with the Statics page or is there really a difference?

Hope you can help me, I enjoy the 155mm but the range is rather low so if there is a boost I would definitely choose the 203's 

The range is set by the FCS, the guns don't influence it. Between the two guns i haven't played with Mogami lately so i can't say which one is better between the two.
  • Cool 1

Alpha Tester
521 posts
1,343 battles

There is no boost to range. I prefer the 155 because of high ROF, but it's matter of playstyle.

• Cool 1

[SAD-]
Beta Tester, Players
751 posts
8,201 battles

View PostDeamon93, on 17 May 2015 - 09:39 AM, said:

The range is set by the FCS, the guns don't influence it. Between the two guns i haven't played with Mogami lately so i can't say which one is better between the two.

Hey, thanks for your answer.

I have just research the second hull so was wondering between the 2 :)

View PostWoland_, on 17 May 2015 - 10:14 AM, said:

There is no boost to range. I prefer the 155 because of high ROF, but it's matter of playstyle.

That is wonderful news, I too enjoy the 155mm so if I am not losing range I will stick with 155mm as well, as you said I like the ROF  and the extra shells in the air so I will stick with what I have.

• Cool 4

[OILUP]
Beta Tester
1,427 posts
9,603 battles

That is wonderful news, I too enjoy the 155mm so if I am not losing range I will stick with 155mm as well, as you said I like the ROF  and the extra shells in the air so I will stick with what I have.

Currently, the 155mm is useless as the guns cannot turn fast enough when you are evading, forcing you to go in a straight line if you want to fire.
  • Cool 1

Supertester
1,047 posts
2,276 battles

Currently, the 155mm is useless as the guns cannot turn fast enough when you are evading, forcing you to go in a straight line if you want to fire.

However, with the captain skill Aiming Expertise the 155's will turn slightly faster than the 203's with 7 degrees per second compared to 6,7.
  • Cool 1

[OILUP]
Beta Tester
1,427 posts
9,603 battles

However, with the captain skill Aiming Expertise the 155's will turn slightly faster than the 203's with 7 degrees per second compared to 6,7.

Hmm, will check it.
  • Cool 1

[SAD-]
Beta Tester, Players
751 posts
8,201 battles

View PostWhiskeyWolf, on 17 May 2015 - 11:17 AM, said:

That was something I did not consider. Thanks for the heads up!

View PostDevantejah, on 17 May 2015 - 11:42 AM, said:

Ah... any news if it will be better then over all with 155mm?

View PostWhiskeyWolf, on 17 May 2015 - 11:52 AM, said:

Hmm, will check it.

Thanks, please let us know when you have the information and thanks for your time to investigate

• Cool 4

Supertester
1,047 posts
2,276 battles

Ah... any news if it will be better then over all with 155mm?

Personally I use the 203mm as I prefer the punch they can deliver, but seeing as you can spam so much HE with the 155mm at battleships they should not be disregarded.

Against other cruisers the 155mm can also be to your advantage since they put out a lot more lead than the 203's do.

It's more or less down to your playstyle what you use, both have their pros and cons so try them both out. :)

• Cool 1

[SAD-]
Beta Tester, Players
751 posts
8,201 battles

Personally I use the 203mm as I prefer the punch they can deliver, but seeing as you can spam so much HE with the 155mm at battleships they should not be disregarded.

Against other cruisers the 155mm can also be to your advantage since they put out a lot more lead than the 203's do.

It's more or less down to your playstyle what you use, both have their pros and cons so try them both out. :)

Thanks for the reply, I will try the 203s out later. I am more of an ambushing Cruiser captain spamming HE to surprise my victims :trollface:using torps and high RoF.  I will stick with 155mm until the last item to research is the 203's :) 

Thanks for all your responses I thought I was going crazy with what people told me in chat about better range etc. Now I have my answer :great: :honoring:

• Cool 3

[OILUP]
Beta Tester
1,427 posts
9,603 battles

The Mogami Experiment.

The items:

- 1x Mogami T8, Hull 1944

- 1x set of 155mm guns

- 1x set of 203mm guns

- 1x Aiming Expertise skill

The Test #1 with 155mm:

a) 1/2 turn ('Q' or 'E') - guns were able to keep up with the turn of the ship and stay on target

b) full turn ('QQ' or 'EE') - just barely but were not able to to keen up with the turn of the ship and stay on target

The Test #2 with 203mm:

a) 1/2 turn ('Q' or 'E') - guns were able to keep up with the turn of the ship and stay on target

b) full turn ('QQ' or 'EE') - just barely but were able to to keen up with the turn of the ship and stay on target

Conclusion:

Even with the skill the 203mm are still able to turn faster then the 155mm. Be advised that that may not mean much when in the Post-0.3.1.0 times spamming HE shells is more important then anything else. In the end it's a matter of preference because the difference is really small and in practice 155mm come out ahead with the fast firing rate.

Edited by WhiskeyWolf
  • Cool 1

[SAD-]
Beta Tester, Players
751 posts
8,201 battles

The Mogami Experiment.

The items:

- 1x Mogami T8, Hull 1944

- 1x set of 155mm guns

- 1x set of 203mm guns

- 1x Aiming Expertise skill

The Test #1 with 155mm:

b) full turn ('QQ' or 'EE') - just barely but were not able to to keen up with the turn of the ship and stay on target

The Test #2 with 203mm:

b) full turn ('QQ' or 'EE') - just barely but were able to to keen up with the turn of the ship and stay on target

Conclusion:

Even with the skill the 203mm are still able to turn faster then the 155mm. Be advised that that may not mean much when in the Post-0.3.1.0 times spamming HE shells is more important then anything else. In the end it's a matter of preference because the difference is really small and in practice 155mm come out ahead with the fast firing rate.

Great research and I thank you for conducting it for me and others.

With the second Gun fire control system I am able to get the range of 14.7km it feels much better with this compared to 13.4km.

I will stick with the 155mm as the rof is fantastic and unless they Nerf it.. HE is brilliant for bringing ships down with Crits and fire.

• Cool 3

Supertester
1,047 posts
2,276 battles

The Mogami Experiment.

Did you get any timers on it, perhaps? Curious to see.

[BIA]
Alpha Tester
1,605 posts
5,756 battles

problem is, that devs didn't' get 205 mm guns better max range with could be the good reason to change to bigger calibre.

[OILUP]
Beta Tester
1,427 posts
9,603 battles

Did you get any timers on it, perhaps? Curious to see.

No, I throw the math throught the window on this one. I just got into the Mogami and put her into the max turn then left the guns on a single point and observed if they could stay/train on target.

Supertester
1,047 posts
2,276 battles

No, I throw the math throught the window on this one. I just got into the Mogami and put her into the max turn then left the guns on a single point and observed if they could stay/train on target.

Ah well, in any case 0.3 degrees per second is negligible. :)

[OILUP]
Beta Tester
1,427 posts
9,603 battles

Ah well, in any case 0.3 degrees per second is negligible. :)

Pretty much, unless you get yourself stuck in a quite specific situation.