Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Fragfapic

How do you play cruisers on unfavourable maps?

3 comments in this topic

[SIXT]
Players
2 posts
1,138 battles

I've recently returned to playing WoWs from a pretty long hiatus, did the last bit of farming and finally got the beautiful beast that is the Des Moines.
On most or at least half of the maps I do just fine, finding some type of island coverage either to shield me from the brunt of the BB's or to hide behind and slow/stop the enemy push. I am by no means an excellent player but I don't think I'm particularly bad either. But I can't for the life of me figure out how to play on maps with very little or extremely centered islands. While the Des Moines is fairly tanky there are so many BB's that overmatch you now, feels like more are getting added every week, so angling in open water seems extremely questionable at best, feels like I have a greater chance of surviving by going flat broadside and making them over/undershoot. Since you don't exactly have the greatest rudder shift neither of these feels very sustainable, kiting forces me to maintain high speeds so I'll just get a few volleys of until I'm out of range.

So how am I supposed to play in those situations? Because I'm ALMOST tempted to ditch concealment for rudder shift at this point. If I spawn on a side with few islands am I supposed to just miss 5 minutes and go to the other side? With the shell speed being quite low it's not that appealing sniping at 18km range either. Overmatch overall feels like it forces me to hide behind islands slinging HE making everyone including myself sad.

Beta Tester
1,020 posts
16,365 battles
1 hour ago, Fragfapic said:

hide behind islands slinging HE making everyone including myself sad.

Thats the state of the game right now, deal with it. 

And pretty much what you will hear on this forum is adopt and L2P.

..But pretty much if your BB dont move from spawn (which they usually do) just do the same and pray with them, that the game will win itself while as DD rush to caps and die one by one..

Players
6,864 posts
11,298 battles
2 hours ago, Fragfapic said:

While the Des Moines is fairly tanky there are so many BB's that overmatch you now, feels like more are getting added every week, so angling in open water seems extremely questionable at best, feels like I have a greater chance of surviving by going flat broadside and making them over/undershoot. Since you don't exactly have the greatest rudder shift neither of these feels very sustainable, kiting forces me to maintain high speeds so I'll just get a few volleys of until I'm out of range. 

So how am I supposed to play in those situations? Because I'm ALMOST tempted to ditch concealment for rudder shift at this point. If I spawn on a side with few islands am I supposed to just miss 5 minutes and go to the other side? With the shell speed being quite low it's not that appealing sniping at 18km range either. Overmatch overall feels like it forces me to hide behind islands slinging HE making everyone including myself sad. 

Switching the side right from the spawn is always a bad choice imo. I cant think of one situation where I would do that. Open water DM is possible but I would advice against it - especially not in the early stage of the game. It might just be an option to lay low and wait for an oppotunity. I do this sometimes and DM is especially good at this. The effective dpm a DM in a nice position throws out can be absolutly disgusting. Thats why waiting a minute or even two and use that time to get in a good position - or even let the enemys go into a trap, when they dont expect you to be there - is the better choice then kiting with a DM, slinging HE at someone bow tanking you at long range.

Sign in to follow this