Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
D_struction

What's the point of the blank map?

26 comments in this topic

Beta Tester
3 posts
611 battles

The open water map is purely retarded. Unless you're in a battleship, GG, you will spend the next 6 minutes looking at targets you cannot reach (unless you rush in and die, then, of course, you can start shooting earlier - briefly). When you do reach your firing range, it's just so epicly boring - ships sailing in circles and shooting non-stop. I can't even think of a more dull activity than battling on that map.

• Cool 1

[MASK]
Beta Tester
35 posts
4,094 battles

I might be wrong, but I believe some of the naval conflicts in history actually happened in the open seas.

As for this map, I find it authentic, challenging and the lighting is awesome. I've had my best battles here.

• Cool 5

[EIRE]
[EIRE]
Beta Tester
326 posts
19,211 battles

I guess that is what all new players think.

It is a good map, learn your ships capabilities, ranges etc. Try to think in terms of a team, stick close by others. It is actually a good map and what naval combat actually was.

This isn't world of tanks (who actually also mainly fought on open plain ground too).

[_GG_]
Weekend Tester
261 posts
2,309 battles

Yeah, there was a lot of flak for not having an open sea map, so they figured they'd test it out. This is still CBT so there will probably be a lot of stuff that they test out and if they remain in the game through release is up to the feedback we give the devs.

Beta Tester
1,989 posts
4,399 battles

Lemming map. Learn it, love it

To me it seems there is actually less lemmingtraining to just one direction than on certain other maps, where all go to one side and leave the other completely open. On the open ocean map there is always a few that go to each direction.

Beta Tester
1,929 posts
7,756 battles

One question: Have you any prior knowledge or experience with real life naval warfare or ditto simulators like the Silent Hunter series?

Hate to break it to you but naval warfare usually takes place in open sea and is slow and takes ages of times because of the great distances and difficulties and challenges in actually sinking ships with guns and torpedoes - the 'World of islands' we have here is WG's invention in trying to speed up the gameplay.

Yes WG have tried to make an 'arcade' ship shooter but still insists on using game mechanics that would be more appropriate in simulator style games which of course makes this game 'epicly boring' as you put it.

My suggestion to you is to either accept the slow and boring gameplay or read a book while the rest of the team plays the 'Ocean' map without you,

Beta Tester
3 posts
611 battles

One question: Have you any prior knowledge or experience with real life naval warfare or ditto simulators like the Silent Hunter series?

Hate to break it to you but naval warfare usually takes place in open sea and is slow and takes ages of times because of the great distances and difficulties and challenges in actually sinking ships with guns and torpedoes - the 'World of islands' we have here is WG's invention in trying to speed up the gameplay.

Yes WG have tried to make an 'arcade' ship shooter but still insists on using game mechanics that would be more appropriate in simulator style games which of course makes this game 'epicly boring' as you put it.

My suggestion to you is to either accept the slow and boring gameplay or read a book while the rest of the team plays the 'Ocean' map without you,

One thing is is real world warfare, a completely different thing is a game, which you know, has to have interesting gameplay. And there is basically no gameplay on the blank map. Just stick to your team and fire at the lowest HP target - much tactic, very fun, wow.

And if you are trying to compare the "World of ..." series to any simulator, well then... there's no hope for you, I'm afraid.

Edited by D_struction

Beta Tester
3 posts
611 battles
[edited]
Edited by BigBadVuk
This post has been edited by a member of the Moderation Team, due to inappropriate content.
  • Cool 1

[HAERT]
Beta Tester
672 posts
4,821 battles

The open water map is purely retarded. Unless you're in a battleship, GG, you will spend the next 6 minutes looking at targets you cannot reach (unless you rush in and die, then, of course, you can start shooting earlier - briefly). When you do reach your firing range, it's just so epicly boring - ships sailing in circles and shooting non-stop. I can't even think of a more dull activity than battling on that map.

I'm assuming that you've never been to sea or watched anything remotely salt-water orintated. There aren't a lot of Maccy D's and Starbucks on every junction, if I remember correctly, most of what you can see when you're on the sea is in fact...... SEA.

Lots and lots of sea.

The WoWS community asked for it (well, all except you of course :unsure: ) and WG obliged :honoring:. It is just 1 map out of the (albeit limited) selection so far, I admit it would be tedious if there were many 'open sea' maps as obviously a blank map in the North Atlantic would look similar to a blank map in the South Pacific, but come on fellah, its just one map and it involves a different mode of engagement to all the others which if you think about are all pretty much peek-boom; some would consider those boring.

Just enjoy the variety and the fact that you are actually in CBT, there are many out there that would love to be playing that open map along with all the others, yet might have to wait many months to do so.

:B

• Cool 2

Beta Tester
241 posts
1,258 battles

There are enough battles in the pacific theater that took place around islands.

The battle for leyte gulf as example

Weekend Tester
1,668 posts
32 battles

Well, on Ocean the teams(BBs) usually do an anti-clockwise rotation. Which puts the cruisers into an odd situation when our BBs are on the other side of the map and we are being capped by two-third of the enemy team

I think the map would be a whole lot better if instead of normal game mode, It would be an encounter

Edited by Bl4ckh0g
  • Cool 2

Beta Tester
71 posts
90 battles

There are enough battles in the pacific theater that took place around islands.

The battle for leyte gulf as example

you do realize that those battles took place miles offshore and not actually up against islands right?

i'd actually like to see an open sea map with bad weather, rollers, etc.. on it.

and it sure beats that stupid iceberg map.

• Cool 1

[UNICS]
Beta Tester
4,481 posts
7,985 battles

I usually have a great time in my DDs on that map, but in anything else it's pretty boring play.

Beta Tester
80 posts
2,161 battles

Well, people played almost exculsivly the open sea map in Navyfield.

Open sea is where the real fun is at.

[GN0ME]
Beta Tester
5,339 posts
1,891 battles

it probably is ahrder for CA players there because DDs counter eachother but CAs counter other CAs and DDs but what you can do is stay close to BBs and protect them against DDs

CA play doesnt offer you a really aggressive play BB and DD does but CA doesnt maybe you are jsut playing the wrong class buddy

[INTER]
Alpha Tester
168 posts
1,913 battles

Given the sea is flat, there is not the same scope for map variation as in WOT. Any different map is frankly a blessing.

Beta Tester
2,119 posts
4,874 battles

Given the sea is flat, there is not the same scope for map variation as in WOT. Any different map is frankly a blessing.

Night battles, storm, heavy weather, port attacks and convoy missions were suggested very often, but the game isn't ready for such gimmicks.

Beta Tester
30 posts

Life would be boring if everything was always the same. I really enjoy the variety of the open sea map, it forces different play.

I'd like to see more interesting variations than just the sprinking of islands in the middle type. Like a map that is completely crowded with islands, or an asymmetrical map where one side starts in cover and the other in open sea.

Beta Tester
297 posts
598 battles

Not having an open sea map in a naval game would be...weird.

And I agree with what the other posters said. I had some of my best (read: most fun) games on that map. As cruiser (Aoba)

Calapine

Sign in to follow this