You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Admiral_Oily_Discharge

Should I really get a premium for upcoming ranks ?

17 comments in this topic

Players
350 posts
5,465 battles

Greetings ,

So I have been thinking about it lately overwhelmed  with this dilemma  as everybody on forums is pretty much looking at a premiums for upcoming ranks .  So I was wondering since I play bbs and that spending money on a  premium t7 is really  worth it for upcoming ranks ? To better put it I am attaching performance snapshots  of my non premium t7 battleships , Maybe I dont need a premium I will do just fine with any of these bbs (attachment) or is it that I still get a premium that could put me in superior position than most non premiums could evar do ? And if indeed premium is the only way to go then plz help me decide what  should I get .

colorado.PNG

gneis.PNG

lyon1.PNG

nagato.PNG

sinop.PNG

Many thanks <3

[MIAU]
[MIAU]
Players
4,046 posts

I wouldn't bother with a premium.

Nagato and Sinop are solid ships to play for ranked. Or Gneisenau for extra torp punch. Your performance seems to be fine in all of your listed BBs.

• Cool 2

Players
528 posts

For performance reasons alone, no. For convenience reasons, maybe.

In a normal ranked season, ship winrates usually hover between 47 and 54%; player winrates easily between 30 and 80+%. Player skill is magnitudes more important than ship choice.

This season will be somewhat different as Belfast might be the most broken ship this side of Enterprise, but it's not a BB and marginally more important, it's not available.

Colorado's ultralow mobility might be an issue in some ranked battles, but all other tech tree BBs are perfectly viable. Sinop and the freemium Nelson should be best in class.

What premium ships do offer, is the ability to accomodate any captain without retraining cost. If you have the free XP, I'd at least consider getting Nelson.

edit: You don't seem to have the British silver BB listed. If you have no decent British captain, obviously disregard the Nelson recommendation.

Players
350 posts
5,465 battles
42 minutes ago, Egoleter said:

Nagato and Sinop are solis ships to play for ranked.

I was thinking just about that . thanks

22 minutes ago, thisismalacoda said:

Colorado's ultralow mobility might be an issue in some ranked battles, but all other tech tree BBs are perfectly viable. Sinop and the freemium Nelson should be best in class.

Colorados good ship but I guess mobility and low hp could ruin whol game in last minutes  . So I gonna avoid her

[JRM]
Players
7,008 posts
1 hour ago, Admiral_Oily_Discharge said:

Many thanks <3

Nelson?

• Cool 1

Players
350 posts
5,465 battles
38 minutes ago, thisismalacoda said:

edit: You don't seem to have the British silver BB listed. If you have no decent British captain, obviously disregard the Nelson recommendation.

I played king george v sold her  didnt like that ship . Nelson still an option as I got cunninghum btw xd

[JRM]
Players
7,008 posts
Just now, Admiral_Oily_Discharge said:

I hav king george V . But I didnt like that ship . Nelson still an option as I got cunninghum btw xd

Let it put it mildly - Ranked in its current form has very little to do with ranking YOUR performance, its always degenerates into a grindy sh**show in which your final placing is mostly decided by how much BS you can endure before going ape...

Thats why you take a premium, so you can farm as much money/freexp from it, you can even grind/regrind some ships in it at higher tiers (at T7 you will have grinded through it long before the end of season) but premiums with some flags are best choice for farming

• Cool 5

[INTRO]
[INTRO]
Players
1,438 posts
18,115 battles

It's better to play a ship that you know and are familiar with rather than trying to learn a new one.

• Cool 5

[ADRIA]
Players
273 posts
9,969 battles
2 hours ago, Admiral_Oily_Discharge said:

So I was wondering since I play bbs and that spending money on a  premium t7 is really  worth it for upcoming ranks ? 

If you plan on playing BBs, Sinop is your best choice by far.

• Cool 2

Players
8,456 posts
9,251 battles
5 hours ago, Admiral_Oily_Discharge said:

I was thinking just about that . thanks

Colorados good ship but I guess mobility and low hp could ruin whol game in last minutes  . So I gonna avoid her

Colorado has improved heal, making it deceptively tanky (given fires are based on percentage of max hp for damage, you are blessed having more hp in the repair and not in the pool). It really is mostly the lack of speed and the all-or-nothing scheme that makes it less useful than Sinop.

Overall, tech tree ships cover already the best options you can get, imo.

[SHAD]
Players
2,916 posts
12,610 battles
19 minutes ago, Bunny_Lover_Kallen said:

Colorado has improved heal, making it deceptively tanky (given fires are based on percentage of max hp for damage, you are blessed having more hp in the repair and not in the pool). It really is mostly the lack of speed and the all-or-nothing scheme that makes it less useful than Sinop.

Overall, tech tree ships cover already the best options you can get, imo.

I actually prefer the tech tree heal to the Ohio heal. I fear no fires with this repair!

As said before, there are plenty of very good ships in the tech tree.

Fiji is probably the best cap contesting cruiser.  Yorck will also be strong IMO.

Sinop is very effective and stronger than any premium tier 7.

You mention Nelson. It’s a very good ship and it’s HE  would be great at dealing with all the Sinops we are likely to see. 
However, the sinop has very good guns that can overmatch you everywhere. 

Players
2,300 posts
31,429 battles
7 hours ago, Admiral_Oily_Discharge said:

since I play bbs 

Cheers, imo you have got the best BB option for t7 ranked, Sinop. It is not worth buying a premium just for the ranked anyways. :cap_like:

• Cool 1

[I-J-N]
Players
5,456 posts

As the others have pointed out, with those ships there is no need to get a premium because of ranked battles, especially as I think tier 7 ranked is kind of rare occurrence and you got very good selection of tech tree ships already for it. Unless I'm mistaken, Tier 7 has also lost those interesting Operations we used to have, so that is another factor against buying tier 7 premiums (unless you want some for captain training, but then I'd probably rather pick tier 5 for DD's/cruisers and tier 6 possibly for BB's).

I'd probably go for the Nagato (unsurprisingly) but I seriously recommend having a captain with Fire Prevention on board.

As a general warning for everyone, right now I'd consider very carefully buying any premium ships for any purpose because the game mechanics are a complete shambles not least because of Desync and other aiming issues. Also, we don't have a clear idea where the game is headed with the subs...

[JRM]
Players
7,008 posts

Well I was rather undecided overall BUT I think I will start with Nelson (humongous guns and superheal) and Surrey (decent guns and only T7 heavy cruiser with the heal) and have my trusty Sharnhorst as a backup as well as Sinop in case I get "Sinoped" 2 much...

Also I might use the opportunity to regrind through the Gadjah but that depends on how it will look and where I am ATM

In case it devolves into the DD (torpspam) fiesta Belfast, Atlanta and Haida will be dusted off

[SM0KE]
Players
6,125 posts
14,608 battles
10 hours ago, Admiral_Oily_Discharge said:

if indeed premium is the only way to go then plz help me decide what  should I get .

My feeling is that it depends quite a bit on your preferred class, what your aims are, and what the meta ends up being like.

If you're a BB main, the argument in favour of buying a T7 premium is perhaps the weakest for the relevant classes; whilst there are some decent T7 BBs available, their performance (even against same-tier opponents) is generally not sufficient to give a significant advantage over anything silver, especially if you're trying to 'learn' the ship whilst playing Ranked.

Based on your screen-shot, you already have perhaps the most effective T7 BB (as others have highlighted) i.e. Sinop.

Personal aims whilst playing Ranked may have an impact: are you aiming to get to R1 as a primary goal, or will you call it a day at R10 (when you get the flag)? Are you using the thing as an exercise in earning xp for your relevant line's T8, or grinding something else (free/captain xp/silver)? If you're going for the highest Rank possible, you simply choose your best performing ship (which may change as you go up the ranks, depending on any meta shifts); some of the other aims may argue in favour of a premium, especially if you need silver.

What the meta ends up looking like may well have an impact too: if we're wall-to-wall BBs, say, the optimal pick may well be different to that facing only one or two per side, and so on. Also, the meta tends to shift with higher ranks, so your pick may be different at the end compared to the start.

For my own case (DD main), I will be taking largely premiums: Haida and Z-39. My personal aim is only to get to R10, so I don't need 'best' (although you can make a case for those two according to that metric too); I also aim to earn as much silver/captain xp/free xp as possible, which means ships that I can put 19 point captains in, get reasonable xp rewards with, and plenty of silver (so, premiums again). If my primary aim was R1, Jervis would be a very viable option, and maybe Skane (AA wasted, but you get a heal)....

The other aspect to consider is fun: Ranked is usually an exercise in aneurysm-inducing frustration, especially once you're into the higher region without irreversible ranks; you're going to be playing a lot if you want to get to R1 (and even R10), so it'll be a marginally less hideous experience in a ship you actively enjoy...

I suppose I could have just answered 'it depends', but I thought something more extended might be vaguely useful to someone...!

• Cool 1

Players
3,016 posts

You'll be fine. Gneiss and Sinop are all you need in bbs

Sharn is a good prem but it is Gneiss basically.

I would pay if i wasn't poor af for a higher tier CV like Enterprise or Kaga. But this is completely subjective ofc :)

Beta Tester
939 posts
10,196 battles

If you only want to play BBs in the ranked, just play the Sinop. It can do anything the other BBs can do, but better.

• Cool 1