Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Funny_Farmer

Suggestion: Shooting down planes also deals HP damage to the carrier

20 comments in this topic

Players
119 posts
2,529 battles

Hi all, I was recently asked to participate in an ingame survey about ship/carrier interaction. So I gave it some thinking and came up with a few ideas, one of which I'd like to ask your opinion about:

• When you shoot down airplanes, it also hits the carrier for HP.  The damage dealt adds to your normal damage counter.

My reasoning is that one frustration aspect of receiving air strikes is the feeling of being helpless. The carrier is sitting at the rear of the map and you have no ability to hit back. This mechanic would give you some satisfaction for actually hurting the enemy. It would also add additional strategic reasoning to carrier gameplay, as well as some emotional depth ; )

The exact amount of damage would need some tinkering od course. It might also be disputable whether carriers should be able to be sunk alone by shooting down their airplanes.

Anyway, what do you think? 

• Funny 4
  • Boring 1
  • Bad 9

[GRK3N]
[GRK3N]
Players
1,174 posts
6,418 battles

That would be really dumb. I think a very simple fix to CVs is to increase the rocketplanes dispersion circle and then make CV spotting only show for others on the minimap, nothing else is necessary in my eyes.

• Cool 4

[JRM]
Players
7,045 posts
21 minutes ago, Funny_Farmer said:

I dont play much CV but still - NO!

[SM0KE]
Players
6,177 posts
14,670 battles
23 minutes ago, Funny_Farmer said:

Nah - for a start, it would be horribly counter-intuitive.

I think it's probably not needed either; there are better things to mess with.

• Cool 1

[LAFIE]
Beta Tester
5,114 posts
5,500 battles

Frankly I think this is the worst CV related idea to date, and that is saying something.

• Cool 3
  • Funny 3

Players
10 posts
248 battles
33 minutes ago, Funny_Farmer said:

Hi all, I was recently asked to participate in an ingame survey about ship/carrier interaction. So I gave it some thinking and came up with a few ideas, one of which I'd like to ask your opinion about:

• When you shoot down airplanes, it also hits the carrier for HP.  The damage dealt adds to your normal damage counter.

My reasoning is that one frustration aspect of receiving air strikes is the feeling of being helpless. The carrier is sitting at the rear of the map and you have no ability to hit back. This mechanic would give you some satisfaction for actually hurting the enemy. It would also add additional strategic reasoning to carrier gameplay, as well as some emotional depth ; )

The exact amount of damage would need some tinkering od course. It might also be disputable whether carriers should be able to be sunk alone by shooting down their airplanes.

I like the idea of teleporting damage to somewhere else.

What about this idea ?

Shells that are shooting into a smoke cloud, make the whole smoke cloud light up and deal 1% damage to anything which is inside the smoke cloud.

This would help new players to the game, dealing at least some damage.

Also, an amazing graphical effect could be added to shooting into a smoke cloud.

The smoke cloud could flash up like thunder and lightning and ships could have blitzy flashes and glows as the cloud is shot at.

• Bad 1

Players
1,872 posts
3,545 battles
11 minuti fa, lafeel ha scritto:

Frankly I think this is the worst CV related idea to date, and that is saying something.

Agreed. Same thought. The interaction is between the ships and the aircrafts; the CV doesn't do anything to any ship by herself (unless it's a Secondary build GZ :Smile_trollface:)

[BIF]
Players
379 posts
5,256 battles
36 minutes ago, Floofz said:

That would be really dumb. I think a very simple fix to CVs is to increase the rocketplanes dispersion circle and then make CV spotting only show for others on the minimap, nothing else is necessary in my eyes.

Devs tried the minimap idea, but according to them, " worked poorly ", so they abandoned it.

Sub O's reasons are in the spoiler.

Spoiler

Sub_Octavian: Hey guys! As there are quite a lot of repeated questions, we will be either skipping some of them, or bringing them together in one reply (as I did above) or addressing them in parts. Anyways, let's start!

Of course there is a reason. While we all hoped that the idea with minimap spotting only would work, it turned out to be a mess. Sure, for a very advanced player having a big exception in how spotting works may be fine, but generally speaking, the change introduced a lot of this type of “minimap only” detection to the game – and it felt very weird and counter intuitive for the major part of battle participants. Not for the CV or for its target, but for everyone else. A lot of minimap icons you can hardly act on, strange views of a CV attacking “the water”, and many other side effects were too bad to give this idea a further go. As for the radar-like mechanics, while researching it, we realized that this is a pretty big complication with a very negligible effect, so it was canceled as well.

[-HUN-]
[-HUN-]
Players
1,419 posts
10,977 battles
1 hour ago, Smeggo said:

Sure, when firing AA reduces your HP too. :Smile_trollface:

Ok. I am playing Nikolai :D

• Funny 2

Modder
4,875 posts
22,494 battles
52 minutes ago, K82J said:

Devs tried the minimap idea, but according to them, " worked poorly ", so they abandoned it.

Hide contents

Sub_Octavian: Hey guys! As there are quite a lot of repeated questions, we will be either skipping some of them, or bringing them together in one reply (as I did above) or addressing them in parts. Anyways, let's start!

Of course there is a reason. While we all hoped that the idea with minimap spotting only would work, it turned out to be a mess. Sure, for a very advanced player having a big exception in how spotting works may be fine, but generally speaking, the change introduced a lot of this type of “minimap only” detection to the game – and it felt very weird and counter intuitive for the major part of battle participants. Not for the CV or for its target, but for everyone else. A lot of minimap icons you can hardly act on, strange views of a CV attacking “the water”, and many other side effects were too bad to give this idea a further go. As for the radar-like mechanics, while researching it, we realized that this is a pretty big complication with a very negligible effect, so it was canceled as well.

I think Sub_O  could be right about those strange effects. To prevent this, they should try version even without marks on minimap.

Or the alternate version with ex. much worse dispertion on plane spotted targets. But i think, only the first one will make CV more ballanced.

• Cool 2

[GRK3N]
[GRK3N]
Players
1,174 posts
6,418 battles
52 minutes ago, K82J said:

Hide contents

Gonna call BS on that one tbh. You dont need to activly fire on targets when you see them on the minimap. The spotting doesnt need to be used for damage it could be used only to see positioning. Either way theres no way it would get worse than it is now.

• Cool 5

[SICK]
Weekend Tester
5,132 posts
11,146 battles
1 hour ago, Smeggo said:

Sure, when firing AA reduces your HP too. :Smile_trollface:

RIP Texas

Fly one squadron in close range aura, watch the Texas lose all its HP with a celebratory (and harmless) fireworks display.

1 hour ago, UboatAirSupremacy said:

What about this idea ?

Shells that are shooting into a smoke cloud, make the whole smoke cloud light up and deal 1% damage to anything which is inside the smoke cloud. 

Smolensk spews 16 shells in a smoke cloud, everyone in it loses 16% HP
5 seconds later, that's 32%

10 seconds later, 48%

Etc...

Do you see the issue?

[BIF]
Players
379 posts
5,256 battles
1 hour ago, Exocet6951 said:

RIP Texas

Fly one squadron in close range aura, watch the Texas lose all its HP with a celebratory (and harmless) fireworks display.

Smolensk spews 16 shells in a smoke cloud, everyone in it loses 16% HP
5 seconds later, that's 32%

10 seconds later, 48%

Etc...

Do you see the issue?

So when the Jean Bart fires with reload booster in smoke........

tenor.gif.baaac3f704df3318a491441f8a267ab9.gif

:Smile_trollface:

• Funny 1

[CAIN]
Players
4,678 posts
19,811 battles
3 hours ago, K82J said:

Hide contents

Translation: 

Most of our testers - and by extension our players - have the IQ of a pot plant and the attention span of a gold fish. 

They fail to grasp the most basic game mechanics, and you want us to add one that requires the ability to think and breathe and the same time?

And we can‘t be arsed to implement something that could actually work, because there’s no profit for us. 

So, bugger that. 

• Cool 6