Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
wilkatis_LV

What's up with delayed ship spotting?

16 comments in this topic

Players
5,061 posts
8,562 battles

Lately (well, last 2...3 months at least) I've noticed a rather annoying tendency of ships to blink in-and-out of being spotted, and what seemed to me like slight delay in them actually getting spotted. After looking into it...

In-match example:

Ei30Rnk.gif

Ignore the aiming point / where shells are dropping. I took manual control over the camera in replay so you don't have the constant zooming in-out I tend to do.

Derpitz is spotted, fires his guns, goes dark, gets spotted again. This shouldn't be a thing, should it?

AFjf6Ck.gif

Nothing between me and him on the map either, nothing for him to "hide" behind for those couple seconds. He disappears on the map aswell.

And this is jut one more obvious example of it. The ship doesn't even need to be spotted, after they fire they don't appear instantly:

2ejfEeW.gif

Not only this is 100% reproducible in Training Room, it's consistent on its own aswell. Fire, get spotted 2s later, disappear 19s after that. Total time from firing to stealthing up is 21s (hello 20s, where did you go?)

5J4oVHv.gif

So yeah, the hell is up with spotting? Nothing here works as it should.

But you know what this does look like? Who here remembers the old days when we had immediate ship spotting on the map, then delayed spotting of the ship itself? When WG decided to get rid of it (approx. patch 0.7.4) their INITIAL solution was to introduce a delay on the minimap, creating exactly this kind of a result. Of course, they said it's exactly what they're not doing, and after I pointed it out + Flamu built some outrage about it they stepped back and removed the delays and introduced actual instant spotting. So when exactly has WG sneaked behind everyones back and re-introduced the delay that absolutely noone wanted?

/tagging WG staff to maybe get an actual answer/ @MrConway @Crysantos @Sehales @Sub_Octavian

• Cool 17

[BODEM]
Players
801 posts
7,026 battles

Got this many times too, ships flickering in and out of view just like in your post. Also that delay between the enemy ship firing and being seen. Very annoying.

• Cool 3

[MUMMY]
Beta Tester
350 posts
5,122 battles

Same applies for plane spotting btw.

Very annoying when you try to engage a spotted target behind an island with attack planes or torpedo bombers, and right when you fly over the island the target gets unspotted again, yet your planes still need a small delay to re-spot it when they climbed over the island. This leads to either dropping too early and inaccurate or in most cases, overshooting the target because of spotting delay you missed those few seconds of target window. Rocket strike misses, torps dont arm and you are just sitting there getting counterplayed by fully functional game mechanics.

• Cool 1

Players
5,061 posts
8,562 battles
1 hour ago, Nov_A said:

Same applies for plane spotting btw.

Very annoying when you try to engage a spotted target behind an island with attack planes or torpedo bombers, and right when you fly over the island the target gets unspotted again, yet your planes still need a small delay to re-spot it when they climbed over the island. This leads to either dropping too early and inaccurate or in most cases, overshooting the target because of spotting delay you missed those few seconds of target window. Rocket strike misses, torps dont arm and you are just sitting there getting counterplayed by fully functional game mechanics.

So you're telling me there are positives to this aswell? :Smile_trollface:

• Funny 1

Players
3,282 posts
19,938 battles

Yup have noticed the same stuff for quite some time now. Ships firing, and a weird delay in them being detected or those ships falling off detection right after firing their gun and reappearing again like in the example.

Players
7,232 posts
245 battles

Ye, i've noticed these delays even when the ship isn't on the edge of spotting range and even after firing its main battery half the time.

[-HUN-]
[-HUN-]
Players
1,408 posts
10,977 battles
56 minutes ago, Europizza said:

Yup have noticed the same stuff for quite some time now. Ships firing, and a weird delay in them being detected or those ships falling off detection right after firing their gun and reappearing again like in the example.

My favourite is that they go blank 1 millisec before I shoot and ofc my shells fall totally away from them because those 1,5 sec plus lock ons after ships disappearing seems to not work anymore. Or not everytime. Something is terribly wrong with the whole game and this absolute no commination from WG is giving me a bad sign that they know.

• Cool 2

Players
5,061 posts
8,562 battles
5 minutes ago, Humorpalanta said:

those 1,5 sec plus lock ons after ships disappearing seems to not work anymore.

If I remember correctly WG intentionally removed that some time before [edited] rework. Probably some 2 years ago by now. "Too small % of players using it", "unfair advantage" and all that. I do miss it, the "last chance for a shot" accuracy was a great ting to have

[SHAFT]
Players
11,059 posts
9,475 battles
6 minutes ago, wilkatis_LV said:

If I remember correctly WG intentionally removed that some time before [edited] rework. Probably some 2 years ago by now. "Too small % of players using it", "unfair advantage" and all that. I do miss it, the "last chance for a shot" accuracy was a great ting to have

I shoot into islands permanently, because the lockon seems to be gone even before the ship fades from my screen :cap_wander:

• Cool 5

[OZYR]
[OZYR]
Players
719 posts
14,546 battles
16 minutes ago, DFens_666 said:

I shoot into islands permanently, because the lockon seems to be gone even before the ship fades from my screen :cap_wander:

Exactly!! What is this crap, why shells don't go for "last known position"  where you were actually firing?? It should be at least 2 secs before the "lock" to be lost!!

• Cool 2

[ADRIA]
Players
275 posts
9,999 battles

Yup, the ships blinking in and out is very annoying.

In addition, since a few months ago, if I fire right when a ship gets unspotted, all my shells always go way too high because the crosshair suddenly jumps up when lock-on is lost (very obvious on the minimap).

These 2 bugs combined piss me off more than desync. Or even spotter zoom-in jump to the horizon...

WG Staff
3,413 posts
14,780 battles

@wilkatis_LV can you please remove all of your mods and doublecheck if this problem still persists? If it does, please contact me via PM with the same info and a WGCheck, please.

Greetings, Crysantos

[SHAFT]
Players
11,059 posts
9,475 battles

Ill put that in here, but it could also fit in this one.

https://forum.worldofwarships.eu/topic/135606-is-there-something-glitchy-going-on-with-aiming/

But there might be a connection to both.

So, yesterday in CBs, i had something weird happen to me. I got shot at by 2 Salems, but my PT only said 1. Funny thing is, it said 2 for some time, but between shots, it dropped to 1 even tho they kept shooting me. And i concluded, maybe i popped in and out of vision for them between shots, triggering some kinda bug? Afteralll, my reload is roughly those 20 seconds, same as being spotted between shots.

1. Pic both shoot me, and PT says 2 ships

2. Pic both shoot me, but i just shot, after that, my PT drops to 1, see Pic 3

3. Pic left Salem shot me while PT shows 1

4. Pic Left Salem shot me again (small shells in the background), right Salem also shot in between.

5. Pic Right Salem shooting me, see small shells in the back, PT showing 1

6. Pic Left Salem shooting me, PT showing 1

11.thumb.jpg.7b10ebecb1a0ab7e25a4d3407756c906.jpg12.thumb.jpg.071e8e467aef46740f70bf5d0b9eb526.jpg13.thumb.jpg.0978726f2d0efe9272235c9cad50ec26.jpg14.thumb.jpg.c9cafeb3e20c3e38432f9f9ba43e4a2e.jpg15.thumb.jpg.ec8859f25c3009c7665888a0c468bee8.jpg16.thumb.jpg.39847906111be8df76009b19139e853e.jpg

• Cool 1

[_OC_]
Players
91 posts
1,301 battles

I've noticed situations where a ship will appear on the mini map, I swing the camera round, see the shells flying through the air and there's nothing there. I look at the mini map again, there is a ship icon and my camera line of sight is looking right at it. My team mate is spotting it and I'm within range and have an unbroken LOS but I can't see it. Suddenly, a Mainz materialises in front of me, firing another salvo.

I'm sure this delay wasn't there previously, I only seem to notice it in the latest patch. It seems like there is a more significant  delay in between the spotting of a ship and the rendering of a ship than there was previously. I wonder if it is related to the de-sync issues somehow.

[ADRIA]
Players
275 posts
9,999 battles

Any updates on this? I've played only a few battles after the patch but it seems the "ships blinking in and out of spotting when they shouldn't" bug is still there?

• Cool 1

Sign in to follow this