Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
ItsJustAFleshWound

How to dodge rocket planes?

79 comments in this topic

Players
108 posts
1,045 battles

How do I doge these?

I've tried turning in to them so by the time the rockets are able to be fired I've left the attack reticle, I've tried stopping immediately and turning hard left/right.

Most of the times these tactics don't seem to work and I always end up getting a few modules broken (torpedo tubes and stuff like that, mostly).

What are your ways of dodging rockets and is it effective?

• Cool 1

[TORAZ]
Beta Tester
14,464 posts
20,571 battles
15 minutes ago, ItsJustAFleshWound said:

How do I doge these?

Pray that the enemy CV is incompetent.

• Cool 14
  • Funny 1

[PANEU]
Players
1,021 posts
3,052 battles
Vor 19 Minuten, ItsJustAFleshWound sagte:

How do I doge these?

I've tried turning in to them so by the time the rockets are able to be fired I've left the attack reticle, I've tried stopping immediately and turning hard left/right.

Most of the times these tactics don't seem to work and I always end up getting a few modules broken (torpedo tubes and stuff like that, mostly).

You are doing it right but against a competent player it won't help you.... 

• Cool 3

Players
108 posts
1,045 battles
1 minute ago, Aixin said:

You are doing it right but against a competent player it won't help you.... 

So are you saying that even the most incompetent of CV players will still get strikes on people?

• Cool 6

Beta Tester
939 posts
10,301 battles

Yea, avoiding CV rocket planes is as easy as dodging the Death Star in Star Wars.

• Cool 2
  • Funny 8

[PANEU]
Players
1,021 posts
3,052 battles
Gerade eben, ItsJustAFleshWound sagte:

So are you saying that even the most incompetent of CV players will still get strikes on people?

Well yes and no depending on the situation. If this guy yolos into halland aa for example he won't get strikes(most likely) but that's quite an exception as the first strike gets through in 95%of the cases.The incompetent cv player gets strikes on you yes but those are dogeable. (just do what you discribed earlier and you should be fine) A good player if he wants you dead you will die. You can just make his life harder by trying to dodge. You can at least reduce the damage he is doing to you and make him waste time that your team can use to win. 

• Cool 3
  • Funny 1

[NOCAP]
Players
5,746 posts
12,996 battles
5 minutes ago, ItsJustAFleshWound said:

Yes. Things you can do: 

- turn off you AA with P, only activate it when the planes are spotting you and deactivate once they are out of reach so you block the CVs vision on you

- smoke up in advance when you see he is coming for you (when he spotted you once for example and brings in another strike)

- don't stray away too far from you cruisers early game so you got some sort of support

when he spotted you and turns around vor a strike try to turn into the planes so you throw off his aim

Problem : All those things, aside from smoking to some extent wont work against a decent CV or better. The Interaction between DDs and CVs, expecially torp boats is really bad atm and if you are unlucky enough to be the only DD there is a high chance he will zone out or focus / kill you, rendering your battle performance to abysmal levels. And yes even Unicum DD Players face that issue on a daily basis.

• Cool 9

Players
108 posts
1,045 battles
3 minutes ago, Aixin said:

Well yes and no depending on the situation. If this guy yolos into halland aa for example he won't get strikes(most likely) but that's quite an exception as the first strike gets through in 95%of the cases.The incompetent cv player gets strikes on you yes but those are dogeable. (just do what you discribed earlier and you should be fine) A good player if he wants you dead you will die. You can just make his life harder by trying to dodge. You can at least reduce the damage he is doing to you and make him waste time that your team can use to win

Dammit, I like to focus on getting caps (apparently capping gets good exp) but now I have to bait the fun police so we can win..

• Funny 1

Players
108 posts
1,045 battles
Just now, mcboernester said:

Yes. Things you can do: 

- turn off you AA with P, only activate it when the planes are spotting you and deactivate once they are out of reach so you block the CVs vision on you

- smoke up in advance when you see he is coming for you (when he spotted you once for example and brings in another strike)

- don't stray away too far from you cruisers early game so you got some sort of support

when he spotted you and turns around vor a strike try to turn into the planes so you throw off his aim

Problem : All those things, aside from smoking to some extent wont work against a decent CV or better. The Interaction between DDs and CVs, expecially torp boats is really bad atm and if you are unlucky enough to be the only DD there is a high chance he will zone out or focus / kill you, rendering your battle performance to abysmal levels. And yes even Unicum DD Players face that issue on a daily basis.

Yeah, I turn my AA off but right now the only DD I have is the Jervis and the AA range is lower than that of the air detection.

The smoke thing I do only when I'm on low hp but other than that I just attempt to dodge.

Staying near cruisers I should do more but as I said in my other comment I tend to focus on capping so I don't really expect cruisers to follow me there.

expecially torp boats

yep. I can't imagine playing IJN DDs right now because as soon as they get spotted by planes it basically shouts "torps on the way" to nearby enemy ships.

• Cool 1

[WGP2W]
Beta Tester
1,424 posts
7,051 battles
51 minutes ago, ItsJustAFleshWound said:

Yeah, I turn my AA off but right now the only DD I have is the Jervis and the AA range is lower than that of the air detection.

The smoke thing I do only when I'm on low hp but other than that I just attempt to dodge.

Staying near cruisers I should do more but as I said in my other comment I tend to focus on capping so I don't really expect cruisers to follow me there.

yep. I can't imagine playing IJN DDs right now because as soon as they get spotted by planes it basically shouts "torps on the way" to nearby enemy ships.

The Jervis gets a ton of smokes. Once your smoke screen ends the next one is ready in like 30 seconds. ;)

• Cool 2

[PN4VY]
Players
358 posts
7,014 battles

-Turn off AA and open it the moment he spots you along with sector rector reinforcement.ALWAYS!
-Go bow in towards the rockets in high speed. IF the cv has PERFECT reflexes he can still strike you but that is extremely rare.
-Put an island between you and the direction the rockets are coming. Once he passes over you open AA for a few sec and close it again. By the time he circles around to come to you, either go bow in towards him in full speed or use the corner of the island to block his strike again.
-Grab a t4 cv, go to training room and fill it with dds. set them to moving and not armed and try to strike them.
-Personally, there are some weird angles when the dds are kiting away that make it hard for me to strike but this could be just my low experience in cvs (~1month + 120 matches in them).
-Learn which ships on your team have good AA and go close to them when you are expecting a strike.
-Pop a smoke before you get spotted or use some one elses smoke
-DO NOT rush the caps in the beginning.Go in 1/2 speed angled towards the cap till you see where the enemy cv will send his planes. 
    -If he comes at your cap with rockets, turn around and go to your closest cruiser.
    -If he goes with bombs or torpedo bombers to another cap it is likely that he will come to your cap with rockets on the next round, so reverse into the cap 100m and the moment he comes pop smoke and move forwards at 1/4th.
    -If he spots at an adjacent cap to yours, it is likely that he ll come to your cap for a spot as well. Stay close to your cruiser.
-If the cv decides that you are his main target, always play close to your team and go close to them when he comes for you. Make him loose a lot of planes if he wants to strike you.

Jervis should be fine against cvs since he has lots of smoke with very fast reload time. Dont be afraid to use them in the right time!

• Cool 6

[CATS]
Players
28,207 posts
14,924 battles
1 hour ago, ItsJustAFleshWound said:

No.

I have seen players miss strikes on DD.

• Funny 1

Players
3,019 posts

it depends on the dd.

then the captain.

I really dont want to say this, but if you are quick and stealthy use it. Use terrain. Planes hate islands.

Careful wit terrain, planes circle back very fast.

Never use AA unless you are in some specific dds. My advice is to never use it. If yes despite that, do the reinforcement trick mentioned above. 

Play with his nerves. Don't use AA, go towards his planes full speed, hard break pop AA, watch his planes flew by, if he turns then smoke. if not Switch off AA. Move away towards nearest island. When he comes again, pop it, then smoke. 

If he's good he'll hit you once or call for fire support. If he's too good. You 'll die.

Don't toy the CV. Some CVs might throw a game just to sink you. (that is pretty good)

Others won't even bother.

I don't hunt dds specifically but I'm not that good.

I believe they are the easiest ship to kill and the most annoying.

Less than 1% of CV players are that good. Most of these are pretty famous.

If he's average or not good. He'll lose time wit you, hopefully your team gains from that.

It is best to avoid planes in general. I tend to remember where the dd was, even if I pretend to go another place, I might make a pass to see if he will make mistake. I count his smokes. They are two-three kinds of dd players roughly. The mediocre, bad. The task oriented (Cap, scout, teamplay) and the gurus. These kinda multitask, often come in divisions. They utilize their teamate for AA, share smoke etc. They are not that common. 

Not all dd players are easy prey, some dds especially are nightmarish to deal wit especially if your cruisers are blind or farming too much.

• Funny 1

Players
1,884 posts
19,418 battles
1 hour ago, ItsJustAFleshWound said:

Basically yes, even the most incompetent CVs will sometimes hit you, but if they are really incompetent they will miss enough of the time as long as you dodge like a mad man that they can waste a lot of time trying to kill you or give up as it's too much like hard work. 

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1

[-TPF-]
Players
4,251 posts
17,764 battles

Brake, Turn, Smoke, or hit the speed boost. Work with your cruisers and BBs -  a CV who is focusing you is not focusing on other ships' flak circles and they can lose squads quickly. Don't go alone into the caps early doors - wait for the CV to show their hand, pull them back onto the AA of your team mates. Make it difficult for them and they will go away.

• Cool 2
  • Funny 1

Players
116 posts
5,043 battles

just say ten Hail Mary's and five Our Fathers before battle and make sure you have your rosary beads round your neck and a bottle of Holy Water at your disposal.   If that doesnt help then remember WG says you had fun.

• Cool 2
  • Funny 1

Players
2,382 posts
5 hours ago, Sturmtiger_304 said:

Yea, avoiding CV rocket planes is as easy as dodging the Death Star in Star Wars.

I am afraid to inform that there is a way to dodge the rockets... but whilst @El2aZeR prowls I am not giving away what i have learned. But, trust me, if you figure out the attack pattern of the aircraft (Watch the planes and you'll see it) you can beat the rockets....

As a DD main I have been sunk twice in .. in... well let's say a long time... by rockets.

Watch the planes, see how they fly to attack..... watch the planes and you'll figure it out.

I'll give you a free one... AA off unless you have AA consorts close and in smoke ALWAYS off....

• Cool 2
  • Funny 1

Players
1,263 posts
19,738 battles

As others have pointed out, once spotted it's a really hard feat to go unscathed, so preventing the detection is the very first thing you have to aim for. In my case that means AA off if it reaches beyond air detection, sailing at 3/4 speed at most until you have confirmed where the planes are, doing detours if needed and, in the early stages, approaching the caps from unusual bearings or not approaching them at all but going around them to a flanking position where you can scout (bear in mind that I'm mostly playing Shimakaze and Somers, so this last option may not be possible with DDs that have short torpedo range for their tier).

When spotted it all comes down to the specific situation, but the manoeuvres you're pulling are basically the correct ones, it just depends on timing and how good the CV player is that you can mitigate more or less damage. Against a relatively bad one you can avoid hits from the very first attack run by slowing down hard if the planes are to your stern or by going bow-in to them and using engine boost, but once he knows your current heading you can neither outrun nor outturn him, so the next run will come from an angle where he will nail you to some degree. From there on it usually becomes a race of minimising hits, hence making him waste as much time as possible by his own greediness: I had a recent battle with Shimakaze where I and the friendly CV (since I was in his squadrons' way to the enemy he dropped fighters nearby at every chance) kept the red Lexington busy for nearly 8 minutes in a bullfighter's manner, only to be stopped by a detonation due to a CA salvo. It wasn't a funny endeavour (well, let's be honest, it became funnier the longer it lasted), but it wasn't meaningless either.

Salute.

• Cool 1

[_OC_]
Players
91 posts
1,301 battles

It would be good if AA really functioned. At times it feels like you're just watching an orange bar chipping down but with little to no effect on the attacking squadron.

I've seen "strong AA" ships get harrassed and worn down by carrier strikes in a way that the "strong AA" description would suggest should be impossible. Something like a Halland should be a floating AA bunker which vaporises planes who fly through it's range. Except it doesn't because AA is completely farcical and almost certainly not functioning as it should.

I think what annoys most players, in much the same way as SPGs are generally disliked in WOT, is that the CV player can damage other players without taking any risk and as the "just dodge" meme proves, there is little the targeted player can do. This is contrary to the general gameplay experience, which rewards you when you outplay another player with the opportunity to land some significant damage on them. Even spamming HE sometimes forces you into a position where you could take damage. 

Surely it should be the case that if a player manages his AA properly and uses his priority sector at the right time, the CV player shouldn't just get to take their shot seemingly without penalty. When a squad can fly through overlapping fields of AA fire and still drop all of their torps on target, something ain't right.

Imagine if WG actually fixed this and anti-air ships actually became a useful role. People might enjoy it, they may even find it fun and engaging. However, this may negatively affect the "balans", and so couldn't even be considered by Wargaming. Sometimes when you make a mistake in life you have to admit it and put it right. Unless you're WG, in which case you just plough on and refuse to accept your inadequacies and failings.

[SM0KE]
Players
6,186 posts
14,684 battles
6 hours ago, ItsJustAFleshWound said:

Basically, what others have said; generally it works (to a greater or lesser extent - sometimes RNG just breaks wind in your general direction) on the majority of CVs you'll meet.

The only additional thing I might add is to keep an eye on your AA status (if you're playing a DD which has better than laughable AA): relatively few hits from HE, especially, can seriously whittle down your AA capability - when you're at 100% 'fight' might be a semi-viable option; when you've had a bunch shot off, 'flight' becomes your only option (meaning towards friendly AA cover).

• Cool 1

[PISH]
Players
371 posts
3,322 battles

Apart from what has already been mentioned. Do not allow the CV to line up his approach in a straight line relative to your possible bearing during the attack run. His reticle will be smaller and more rockets will hit you even bow on if he is allowed to line it up.

• Cool 1

[JRM]
Players
7,053 posts
9 hours ago, ItsJustAFleshWound said:

How do I doge these?

Dive

• Cool 1
  • Funny 2

Players
3,290 posts
19,976 battles

You dont dodge rockets, in WOWS rockets dodge you.

On a more serious note, hit speedboost, turn in as much as you can, change direction 1 sec before the carrier will release its noob weapon and you will find out if the carrier is competent or not.

• Cool 2

Players
102 posts
8,877 battles

The game is not designed for you to dodge rockets, there is no out play. You have to just hope the enemy CV f$$ks up. It's a really advanced and technical game mechanic.

• Cool 1
  • Funny 2
  • Boring 2

Sign in to follow this