Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Lord_Solidus

Thunderer or Georgia for coal

8 comments in this topic

Players
10,192 posts
11,985 battles

Which ship would be more fun to play is question only you can answer. Go watch/read all the reviews, youtube clips and carry on with your own judgment.

• Cool 1

[THESO]
Players
1,267 posts
16,397 battles
3 hours ago, Lord_Solidus said:

Hello

Which of this ship is more "fun" to play? 

I don't have the Georgia. I have the Thunderer. I am not sure, which ship is more fun. Both ships are very different. So you need to define for yourself, what brings you joy.

Georgia has a lot of potential for initiative. It can reposition quickly. It has very precise main guns and the secondaries to dominate its mid range environment.

Thunderer is rather a ship for the back line. It can tank a bit, if the late game calls for a push. The main guns are about as accurate as the ones on the Georgia. So the Thunderer rather snipes at longer range.

I hope you get the picture. Thunderer can be a beast, has really hard hitting AP-salvos, awesome HE-shells for anything angled and the range to get them across the map. That said, as any long range ship, Thunderer is a bit more squishy than most BBs. That limits her impact on the battle mostly to doing massive damage.

The Georgia likely is a flanker. She has extreme speed. She is designed to be where the action is or flank that position to surprise and overwhelm. She can do, what the Thunderer can't, go in fast and hard and bully certain ships.

I would say Thunderer is a ship where even mediocre players can do quite well, since you even get decent damage numbers, when you stick mostly to HE. It however lacks the ability to react to what is happening on the map, the ability to shape the battle.

That is what Georgia does. A Georgia player can look on the map, find the spot where he can dislodge the enemy team and apply pressure immediately. Georgia is not for players who can't read the map. A good player however imo can have a tremendous impact on the outcome of a battle.

• Cool 1

[KOKOS]
Players
160 posts
10,724 battles

Thank you for your input.

Ships I enjoy/like to play (BB's)

I enjoy to play Tirpitz (enjoy the playstyle, ships with good handeling i enjoy, I can be agressiv if i want to, Love when ppl go apes-hit when i suprize them)

I like playing Missouri (But MAN the AA-def have been really neft after the cv change) Exellent guns on the ship and fast

I also like to play République  (fast reload exellent AA and sec-guns) fast ship, I can relocate fast (or run away) if needed

Ships that are neuteural

• Montana
  • Yamato
  • Friedrich der Große
  • Schanrhorst

Ships I dislike to play

• Bismarck (I like to play Tirpitz but never like Bismarck)
  • Großer Kurfürst ( I just hate it, gotten good matches in it but just NO)
  • Jean Bart (Just not my playstyle, goodship but NO to the playstyle)

I like to play Conqueror, but I have heard from other player (ingame) that Thunderer and Conqueror  are 2 completly diffrents "ship" (gamestyle), several ppl told me that the just loved Conqueror  but hated playing Thunderer.

• I have been told that Georgia is fast, have goodguns adn is very mobil
  • Thunderer is a upgrade Conqueror with better AP (with par on Yamato AP) but fewer shells 8 shells vs 12 on Conqueror

I just want to hear what other ppl input on the ships, rigth now it is 50/50 on them (I am waiting for another cupong 25% before I buy a ship)

Edited by Lord_Solidus
spelling

Players
50 posts
5,219 battles

Georgia is definitely fun to play. I tried thunderer for 2 to 3 battles. It was good and pretty much awesome to play. I don't have conqueror, so I don't know how different both of them are.

The best and worst thing about Georgia is its speed. While it helps in turning, getting somewhere fast,  or chasing down any other ship it is very easy to over extend. Your health pool is barely 75000, and tier X battleship can easily take off large chunks of it even from the front. Especially Japan and British BB's.  The guns are fun too, you will get regular damage of 5k for pens and 12 to 15 for citadel. I have citadeled angled cruisers at 6 km range. Over pen is a problem, shattering not so much. I have built the full secondary build, but until you get close enough, I guess 5 to 6 km's it wont hit much. Less than 4 km's i have seen a full health Benson loose almost all his health before he was able to kill me, and that was when my main guns were not even targeting him.

Accuracy is great. Using spotter plane you can expect at least 2 pens at range of 22 km's. The alpha strike is low with 6 gun, but itcan still delete a full health broadside cruiser at close range.

In the end, I would suggest Georgia if you want it for fun purpose.

[THESO]
Players
1,267 posts
16,397 battles
3 hours ago, Lord_Solidus said:

I like to play Conqueror, but I have heard from other player (ingame) that Thunderer and Conqueror  are 2 completly diffrents "ship" (gamestyle), several ppl told me that the just loved Conqueror  but hated playing Thunderer.

• I have been told that Georgia is fast, have goodguns adn is very mobil
  • Thunderer is a upgrade Conqueror with better AP (with par on Yamato AP) but fewer shells 8 shells vs 12 on Conqueror

I just want to hear what other ppl input on the ships, rigth now it is 50/50 on them (I am waiting for another cupong 25% before I buy a ship)

I also don't have Conqueror, but I think Thunderer and Conqueror are similar. Conqueror gets the good heal, so it can tank better, but still you wouldn't push in a Conqueror. You want to heal HE-spam, not citadel hits and Thunderer has very vulnerable cheeks. The difference is that Conqueror sticks to HE, while Thunderer uses AP as much as any BB. The 8 shells vs 12 shells is irrelevant, since the guns are accurate and hit. The 8 guns on Thunderer are bigger caliber, do comparable dpm and have similar fire chance per salvo.

I am slightly sceptical, when you say you don't like Jean Bart, cause the playstyle of Georgia is similar, using speed to surprise the enemy. The difference is ofc the 457mm guns, which love to crack cruisers, while Jean Bart with its 380mm guns can be pretty frustrating since the IFHE-rework.

Thunderer and Conqueror have the same caliber. It's important to correct your impression that 457mm is on par with Yamato 460mm. Yamato can pernetrate 32mm of armor, while 457mm is just slightly below the threshold and cannot pen 32mm. When it comes to the regular overmatch mechanic, both calibers are comparable.

My impression is: Thunderer is a ship for lazy moments, where you want to spam at long range without spending too much thought on what's happening on the map. I don't move to the front line, unless my team messed up and I am now the tankiest ship on my flank. If I hit the right ships, I may win. But my team is missing my presence in the front line. Thunderer cannot tank, so cruisers might get focussed. Thunderer cannot afford to be focussed. Good players understand the downside here. if you want to win, you must protect weaker ships by attracting attention and tanking damage. We could see that in the last Ranked season, where many "keep my star"-low-skill-players played Thunderer from A-/J-line. A Thunderer so far back is no threat to the enemy team, preventing them from bullying your DDs out of the cap area and claim 2/3 of the map.

The Georgia takes more attention. It's an interesting mix, cause Georgia has the accuracy to hit at long range early-game, but can move closer in mid-game. It's similar to Jean Bart in that it has lots of tools to get the job done. It has an answer to every situation. If things get hot, it hits speed boost and retreats. If a DD harrasses it, it can even use speed boost to charge a smoke or trap a DD in the border. I mean 38kts speed catches many ships off guard and helps avoid torpedos. Georgia is never out of the battle. It has the secondaries to prevent torp rushes. It's not super tanky, but it claims a part of the map. A DD must stay away or risk getting plane-spotted/radared/detected and get spammed by secondaries It's definitely not a boring ship. It's just not a ship for my last battle before going to sleep.

1 hour ago, Silently_Hunting said:

I have built the full secondary build, but until you get close enough, I guess 5 to 6 km's it wont hit much. Less than 4 km's i have seen a full health Benson loose almost all his health before he was able to kill me, and that was when my main guns were not even targeting him.

That is a subjective impression. The Georgia - to my knowledge - has the same secondaries as the Massachussetts and the Ohio, making them the most accurate of the game, even useful at mid range. In fact Little White Mouse in her review on Massa stated, that manual secondaries are even too accurate, making them shatter on the center belt. Also IFHE is not worth it anymore. So I would only invest slightly into secondaries.

Players
8,456 posts
9,251 battles
2 hours ago, HMS_Kilinowski said:

Thunderer and Conqueror have the same caliber. It's important to correct your impression that 457mm is on par with Yamato 460mm. Yamato can pernetrate 32mm of armor, while 457mm is just slightly below the threshold and cannot pen 32mm. When it comes to the regular overmatch mechanic, both calibers are comparable.

Except one overmatches 30 mm, the common T10 cruiser plating amidships, the other does not, meaning one can watch AP bounce or hope they can HE down a cruiser while the other loads AP and gets big damage from hitting anywhere that is not the main belt.

2 hours ago, HMS_Kilinowski said:

My impression is: Thunderer is a ship for lazy moments, where you want to spam at long range without spending too much thought on what's happening on the map. I don't move to the front line, unless my team messed up and I am now the tankiest ship on my flank. If I hit the right ships, I may win. But my team is missing my presence in the front line. Thunderer cannot tank, so cruisers might get focussed. Thunderer cannot afford to be focussed. Good players understand the downside here. if you want to win, you must protect weaker ships by attracting attention and tanking damage. We could see that in the last Ranked season, where many "keep my star"-low-skill-players played Thunderer from A-/J-line. A Thunderer so far back is no threat to the enemy team, preventing them from bullying your DDs out of the cap area and claim 2/3 of the map.

Except that this is how most morons play the ship, causing it to get a mediocre reputation, while people with a brain can easily win their games, because the Thunderer is among the most powerful BBs at T10, starting to compete with post-nerf Kremlin. Saying Thunderer cannot tank is like thinking that the armour scheme of the Henri is crap, until you notice that you need to hit the Henri in an effective manner to damage it. The Thunderer cannot sit there and take a few minutes of pummeling till it runs out of damecon like Kremlin can, but it certainly can take some heat off, due to the quick rudder, allowing it to bait and bounce/dodge shots at medium to long range, where it plays best and it excels at controlled engagements, using the terrain and concealment to make sure it only needs to tank part of the team at once, a part that it then proceeds to murder, because cruisers you slap with 457 mm super accurate overmatch AP, BBs that angle you citpen for the second highest shell alpha in the game (third if we count Shikishima) and if any BB decides to angle or some Russian cruiser with 50 mm lolplating shows up, load HE and casually show them how much you care about their attempts to angle. Most will continue to shoot AP at you that bounces off, while a few switch to HE, which is a fight your ship wins most of the time.

You then systematically kill off the enemy ships that try to go to the cap and win the game by just being an absolute pain to deal with, as your "oh-so-squishy" ship still has good enough tankiness to do the job and zones out ships by merely existing. Also, at mid-range you can snipe DD. Thunderer is like the next most terrible thing to hit you in a DD at T10 after the Venezia. Because even if you don't just outright die, 457 mm RN BB HE with its stupid high alpha and blast radius basically makes sure you are going to lose basically every module your ship has, some permanently.

Thunderer being balanced because it cannot tank is kind of the nonsense you get in the Slava concept. It doesn't matter if you aren't the #1 in tanking damage. You just need to be tanky enough and the best defense is to kill enemy ships faster than they kill you. There's a reason GK is so looked down upon, despite being the most hard to kill BB in the game, all things considered (including the citadel protection and topkek hydro to dodge torps). GK is one of the least threatening T10s beyond the range of its secondaries. Even if it can tank a lot, if it just burns down before it can kill things, what's the point?

[KOKOS]
Players
160 posts
10,724 battles

""I am slightly sceptical, when you say you don't like Jean Bart, cause the playstyle of Georgia is similar, using speed to surprise the enemy. The difference is ofc the 457mm guns, which love to crack cruisers, while Jean Bart with its 380mm guns can be pretty frustrating since the IFHE-rework.""

What I dislike with JB is it's guns location, all of her guns are in the front, I never got that to work.

Sign in to follow this