Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Krakenheim

What I am doing wrong ?

24 comments in this topic

Players
18 posts
1,715 battles

I bought the Yahagi light cruiser and I am trying to use it for its 12km torpedo and 10km detection range to stealth launch torpedos.

Problem is twice now some blind buckarro in my team manages to get them and of course I am to blame.

When I launch the torpedos there is no friendly ship in my arc or even near it but they are 60kts torpedos and so take some time to run their course... and then enters the blind guys (on managed to get hit by 2 torpedos of a dispersed salvo at near maximum range).

The only thing the ship has are its torpedos, the guns are bad.

What am I doing wrong ?

• Boring 1
  • Bad 2

[XTREM]
Players
4,148 posts
11,514 battles

You need more awareness of your teammates around you and where they might be going next. 

You are responsible for your torps not them not seeing them. So make sure even the most special teammate is safe when you launch them. Also be more patient when launching them. 

• Cool 3

[SHAD]
Players
2,909 posts
12,598 battles

The policy is always: your torpedoes, your responsibility.

long range torps are tricky to use

• Cool 1

[CATS]
Players
28,051 posts
14,852 battles
10 minutes ago, Krakenheim said:

I bought the Yahagi light cruiser and I am trying to use it for its 12km torpedo and 10km detection range to stealth launch torpedos.

Problem is twice now some blind buckarro in my team manages to get them and of course I am to blame.

When I launch the torpedos there is no friendly ship in my arc or even near it but they are 60kts torpedos and so take some time to run their course... and then enters the blind guys (on managed to get hit by 2 torpedos of a dispersed salvo at near maximum range).

The only thing the ship has are its torpedos, the guns are bad.

What am I doing wrong ?

The torps are faster than ANY ship in the game. That means no ship can overtake them. When you hit a friendly he was in front of you when you launched them!

Be more careful...

[NWP]
Players
2,991 posts
17,341 battles

I'm guessing you are not ship closest to the enemy.  So you are torping from the seond line.

Something that is never adivsed as ppl in front of you are turning and alterning speed to dodge what happens in front of them.

Not based on what happens behind them. So most of the times your torps will catch ppl off guard.

Players
18 posts
1,715 battles

No not torping from second line torping into gaps, and at the time no one is near them.

Friendly torpedos are not invisible, and I honestly dont recall ever been hit by one of my sides torpedos.

Once shooted a friendly destroyer in a smoke confusion, that I admit was my falt.

But this should be handled diffrently.

Anyway the game is designed for boarding actions, so I am been "unsporting" when I use my head intead of my raming bow.

• Bad 3

[CATS]
Players
28,051 posts
14,852 battles
1 hour ago, Krakenheim said:

No not torping from second line torping into gaps, and at the time no one is near them.

Friendly torpedos are not invisible, and I honestly dont recall ever been hit by one of my sides torpedos.

Once shooted a friendly destroyer in a smoke confusion, that I admit was my falt.

Anyway the game is designed for boarding actions, so I am been "unsporting" when I use my head intead of my raming bow.

As I explained, there is no other way of hitting your friendly except torping from second line!

While the torps are not invisible, most players do not expect attacks from friendlies.

Many players are already overtaxed with evading enemy fire and you throw in more stuff :Smile_facepalm:

More importantly, evading such torps often opens you up to enemy attacks. I was citadelled and hit by enemy torps, because I tried to evade friendly ones.

I do not think it is right that players get punished for avoiding carelessly launched friendly torps.

Therefore it is now my policy (and many players do the same) not to evade friendly torps, unless it is save to do so.

Be more careful!

Or just accept the consequences!

• Cool 3
  • Boring 1

Players
3,014 posts

Listen, they are right. Assume no one has awareness. More over, people can't find stuff in front of them, not look at their back. You have to take into account all the ships when firing torps. Give yr friendlies room to maneuver, they may turn left or right to avoid a salvo. You have to be more careful to torp from afar. I advice to ambush more. I don't know the ship, but you can outsmart slow enemies. If its stealthy you can venture out of the pack, if no CV is present, to kill a dd or do a torp run. Always give yr teamates the space to dodge. 

Last but not least. If your torps can win the game or kill a dangerous enemy, do not hesitate. Friendly fire is there for a reason. Ah, and always write in chat and warn nearby ships that you launched fish. Take your time and pick your spots :)

[THESO]
[THESO]
Players
2,722 posts
24,947 battles
24 minutes ago, Krakenheim said:

[...]

sry, but that's exactly whats happening there... u do torp from 2nd line! that line is kinda dynamic u know ;)...

thumbrule: don't 2nd line torp!

and if u do be sure/expect it to fail...

[CRU_]
Players
361 posts
9,700 battles

You are not getting the point, which has been made clear to you. Your torps your responsibility. There are no ifs or buts about it. You asked what you were doing wrong you have been told what you are doing wrong. Sometimes crap happens, but it's always your fault.

[ONE2]
Players
3,111 posts
22,954 battles

Yeah, Yahagi is a difficult ship to play. Not impossible, just difficult and using long range torps in any ship requires careful planning before you launch or you will end up team killing someone. Try to go to a flank, where there is no friendly DD in front so you would face only BB and other Cruisers, which will allow you to use your concealment and torps to the maximum effect. Guns are actually OK, but need IFHE to do some damage. You can take down enemy DD, if you get the chance. Speed is also an advantage, when shifting positions. Success in this ship is very situational. It is possible to have very good games occasionally, but you have to learn to play extremely carefully at all times, since you have a giant citadel and no armor to speak of (DOH!). All that said, I have mostly enjoyed the challenge but I'd put Yahagi firmly into the hardship-category of ships gameplaywise. Use island cover as much as possible, when shooting so you will not get immediately citadelled and try to start some fires. Torp any smokes, where enemy is hiding, but get to close range before you do it to reduce the chance of hitting own ships (keep in mind, that enemies hiding in smoke cannot see out of it, but need others to spot for them, this may provide you opportunities). Avoid shooting torps from maximum range, unless there are absolutely NO own ships anywhere nearby, who might turn into them. :cap_old:

• Cool 2

[LUZ1]
Players
864 posts
12,728 battles

Ships that are in front of you, are closer to the enemy. That requires constant attention to what is in front of them. Usually trying not to get spotted or rapidly trying to get out of a dangerous situation such as avoiding enemy torps. This is hard enough without you shooting them in the back.

If you shoot from the second line it's your torps = your responsibility. No exceptions. Take your responsibility.:Smile_izmena:

• Cool 1

[CRU_]
Players
361 posts
9,700 battles

I've noticed an increase in idiots dropping torps from the second line, but since half the player base spends 90% of the game in scope view it's just normal. It's something they should have picked up before leaving tier 5. Every time you tell the idiot not to do it, he tells YOU to pay more attention. Most of them can't grasp how [edited]bad it is.

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1

[-AS-]
Players
731 posts

I suspect that tunnel-visioning is going on here.

You are not zooming out, looking around, and checking your mini-map enough before launching torpedoes.

Do you have your mini map as big as it will go without getting in the way of you aiming your guns?

Sometimes the team kill risk is worth it, to change the battle from a likely loss to a possible win. Most of the time it isn't. If in doubt, leave it out.

Players
6,815 posts
11,183 battles
30 minutes ago, zengaze said:

Every time you tell the idiot not to do it, he tells YOU to pay more attention.

This. I remember setting up a rush around an island with my Isokaze not so long ago, because there was a BB right around it. A french DD with full speedboast is following me (ofc catching up since he is way faster). Im already smelling it and telling my divi "watch this n*** he will torp me for sure"

Once we come around the corner, he seems to be paniking because of the red BB (yea situational awareness and minimap are hard to gasp), he first rams into me, then turns out, then launched all his torps (which would be almost all missing, since the BB is showing perfect stern towards our position) and ofc all the torps go straight into me. What followed was a minute long rage & insulting tirade, how blind I am, how I suck, what he does (and did) to my mother and yea overall how I have no idea how to play this game. I passed 100k damage and had 4 kills at that point. In the T4 Isokaze.

• Funny 1

Players
10,191 posts
11,985 battles
3 hours ago, ColonelPete said:

The torps are faster than ANY ship in the game. That means no ship can overtake them. When you hit a friendly he was in front of you when you launched them!

Be more careful...

*cough* French destroyers *cough* sea mines on Black and *cough* Sims:Smile_hiding:

• Cool 1
  • Funny 2
  • Bad 1

[CATS]
Players
28,051 posts
14,852 battles
1 minute ago, Panocek said:

*cough* French destroyers *cough* sea mines on Black and *cough* Sims:Smile_hiding:

I was talking about the 60 kt torps of Yahagi...

Players
2,780 posts
17,292 battles

Don't play during the weekend, team mates would find a way to run into your yolo 1.2km torpedoes saving the enemy your torping.

• Funny 1

Players
3,014 posts

I remember when in a dd half the times I died to friendly fire/torps, or by simply getting shoved out my smoke just cuz in the old days. It was almost as dangerous as enemy fire or radar. Now in a CV I always half expect the red dds teamates to fluff him up one way or another so I can kill him. I haven't played dd in a while in random since I'm not that bloody masochist and If I was to do it again, I probably have my hands full. Probably need back parking cameras as well. Eyes on the back of the head are just not enough.

[SM0KE]
Players
6,105 posts
14,546 battles
3 hours ago, Krakenheim said:

of course I am to blame.

You are (as others have said). Your torps, your responsibility - always.

3 hours ago, Krakenheim said:

What am I doing wrong ?

Whilst it's not really possible to tell definitively, there are some common areas to look at:

• Situational awareness is the biggest overarching thing: keep an eye on where everyone is on your team, and what they're doing. If it's physically possible for someone to get in the way of your torps - generally - you shouldn't fire. Most stuff falls within this broad category, and it only comes with practice/experience.
  • Watch your mini-map like a hawk (you should be doing this anyway); you want to be paying attention to your torp range circle, and where all other ships are in relation to it (both allies and targets).
  • Don't get tunnel-vision; it's very easy to focus too hard on your target, whilst neglecting other things that are going on; if you're using something that has a slow reload (like torps), use the time whilst your weapons are recharging to be looking around and making note of what everyone is up to. In a torp boat, you can make use of the torp indicator to get a sense of how fast a target is moving, whilst the mini-map gives you a vector (for everyone). If you have an ongoing sense of how everyone is behaving, it makes it easier to launch more judicious torp strikes.

Besides the whole turning pink (and getting - justifiably - abused if you don't say sorry) thing, it's worth taking quite a lot of trouble to avoid hitting your allies: torps generally take ages to reload, so if a bunch of them hit your allies, as well as your team losing - at least - a lot of hp, you essentially have to wait an extra reload cycle before you can try and strike the enemy again.

If you want to take the risk of hitting an ally, the least you should do is try and warn them before launch if possible ("ship x - I'm firing torps to your right"), or *immediately* after, if not. Know that - even then - if you hit a warned ally, it's still your fault though.

Beta Tester
5,202 posts
21,354 battles
9 hours ago, Krakenheim said:

What am I doing wrong ?

Looks to me like your launching torps when you shouldn't..

Easy, right?

That makes € 10.- consultation fee..

• Boring 1

[-TPF-]
Players
4,212 posts
17,539 battles

Don't fire torpedoes from the second line, like they said. But. But but but. I have a Yahagi and, like, Yudachi, she suffers from torpedoes which are too big for the maps she plays on. If your captain doesn't have the Torpedo Acceleration skill, make sure you add it, as that will reduce your torp range to a much more sensible 9.6 km. 

Also - get to know that ship's guns, they're good!

[UA-NF]
Players
422 posts
7,343 battles
Vor 10 Stunden, Krakenheim sagte:

everyone is blind to torpedoes coming from blind spot, from behind... and even if you see them, any torpedoes limit your movement options

[ORM]
Players
139 posts
3,812 battles

they belong to you so you're responsible for them 

as jingles is fond of saying " just as there's no such thing as a friendly hand grenade once it's thrown, so there's no such thing as a friendly torpedo once it's launched"

they're like a badly trained dog, you can't control them once you let them loose so make sure it's safe to do so,  

everyone's done it on occasion but if you're repeatedly hitting friendly ships with your torps, you really need to re think when you launch them.

just because you have torps that can be stealth fired doesn't mean you have to launch them,

Sign in to follow this