You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
ThePurpleSmurf

Modified game mode idea to make DD lifes a bit easier

13 comments in this topic

Players
1,673 posts
11,709 battles

DDs have without a doubt the most dangerous life in Wows and more and more burden is loaded on their shoulders. Soon™ there will be Subs and stealth radar (re-introduced) which will make especially capping much harder. That's why i thought about an idea to change Domination Mode a little bit, to give the DDs a little break. Right now DDs, and sometimes other ships, have to sit in a cap for a full minute to flip a cap. This is extremely dangerous because the DD is usually stationary during that time thanks to tiny cap zone on many maps. The long capping time makes it also very easy to reset a cap over and over (sorry, had to brag) that can often lose a game.

My idea:

reduce the time from 60 to 15 seconds to flip a cap zone, but the cap remains incative for another 45 seconds. More ships in the cap will not reduce the capping or activation time. This way nothing would change with the current point system. What it does however is, that DDs can leave the cap sooner and stay alive longer, spot for their team or do other tasks. If an enemy ship enters a cap during the activation time (the 45s), the cap flips again after 15 seconds. The whole capping process would become much more dynamic. It would make it also easier for big ships to flip a cap and force the enemy to become active and DDs would not be so afraid to go for a cap, knowing they don't have to sit there for 60 seconds and just wait to get torped or radared or hydroed or rocket planed.

• Cool 6

[0KILL]
Beta Tester
40 posts
3,214 battles

There is some Merit to this, however make it a DD only thing. 

• Cool 1

Players
6,856 posts
11,272 battles
8 minutes ago, ThePurpleSmurf said:

reduce the time from 60 to 15 seconds to flip a cap zone

The time is ofc subject of discussion but the idea sounds good - in adition with this:

3 minutes ago, Adamcriz said:

make it a DD only thing.  

It would also suit the faster pace, the game had become over the years - fast reloading cruisers didnt really exist in the early days of wows, neither did the reload boost consumable and the super fast CV planes.

• Cool 1

[ENUF]
[ENUF]
Players
2,185 posts
22,634 battles

There is nothing wrong with DDs or game mechanics (mostly), it's ignorant and careless DD players. DDs are high risk / high reward ships, they need strong counters which are naturally most effective against less skilled players.

Subs in their current form are an entirely different subject, IMO they could replace DDs as a class. Why would you want to play those when you could play something that is stealthier and can go undetected and unhittable whenever it wants instead? Tinkering with cap zone mechanics wouldn't do much as you would never want to go near one.

I know what I wrote is speculative and I would be happy to be proven wrong when subs will be added to randoms. However, it's not easy to be optimistic with the last addition of an all-new ship class in mind.

• Cool 3
  • Boring 1
  • Bad 1

[CAIN]
Players
4,683 posts
19,819 battles

It sounds good at first. 

Then you realize, that DDs tend to die first. If one side loses most/ all DDs, it’s pretty much game over. 

It‘s a point based rofl-stomp waiting to happen. 

Maybe the suggestion could be altered in a way that takes this into account. 

[CROTZ]
Beta Tester
1,196 posts
8,659 battles
21 minutes ago, Ze_Reckless said:

There is nothing wrong with DDs or game mechanics (mostly), it's ignorant and careless DD players. DDs are high risk / high reward ships, they need strong counters which are naturally most effective against less skilled players.

Subs in their current form are an entirely different subject, IMO they could replace DDs as a class. Why would you want to play those when you could play something that is stealthier and can go undetected and unhittable whenever it wants instead? Tinkering with cap zone mechanics wouldn't do much as you would never want to go near one.

I know what I wrote is speculative and I would be happy to be proven wrong when subs will be added to randoms. However, it's not easy to be optimistic with the last addition of an all-new ship class in mind.

Got the Perth for waterbomb fun :)

Benham for president !

image.png.396c4086313812193063b763902d8ee3.png

[WGP2W]
Beta Tester
1,430 posts
7,051 battles
5 hours ago, Ze_Reckless said:

I think the speed advantage destroyers have will still play a major role, at least in Random Battles (where 1 ship can scare away 3+ ships)... Also with the current version of carriers battles seem to be mostly played at range. At least at the higher tiers.

Subs are like carriers just another nuisance for the regular ships. I love it so much. I always close my eyes and imagine I am fighting a decent opponent when I receive the free damage.

• Cool 1

[OHFK]
Players
404 posts
9,301 battles

To implement this change only for destroyers feels very strange, it is better to have the same cap rate for all ships. 

The problem ain't the time I side the cap, the problem is destroyers suiciding to get the caps and fail hard. Some of the best battles I have had have been without anyone taking a cap for the first 10-12 minutes.

The obsession of getting the caps no matter what and then die and blame the team for "no support" is the problem, not the cap mechanics. 

The best thing that can happen is if subs get the cap contest duty and destroyers can hang back like cruisers do and good destroyers will be able to counter the submarines. But I am afraid that the future will involve even more suicidal destroyers who doesn't adapt to the evolution of the game, just like many destroyers today still play "no CV"-gameplay even if the battles has a CV in it. 

[BODEM]
Players
802 posts
7,026 battles
8 hours ago, Ze_Reckless said:

I must say I don't agree. I do agree with that, as both teams are equal in what they have to do, technically there is nothing wrong per se, but imo while the game (pace) has changed significantly, some element are still stuck in the old ways and with mosf thing, if you equip an old machine with new replacement, the new parts tend to not fit perfectly with the old parts that have been worn out in a specific way. 

I feel the same way about the domination mode. The time it takes to take over a cap is set to a speed so that in the old, slow ways the other team has ample time to respond to a dd taking over a cap. Nowadays the game is way more fluid and between fast cruisers, laser accurate guns in all classes, dozens of floating mini guns, 9 out often cruisers having radar, 9 out of ten games having CVs and the upcominv subs, there is no issue in speed to respond to a cap being taken over. 

In fact, I feel it is the other way around: there is so much ways to (almost) instantly respond to a cap being taken over, it makes taking over a cap way too riskg of a thing. You can say you like it if caps are super hard to take and it is an achievement to take a cap and there will be enough people that will say "git gut", "l2p dd", etc, but that is beside the point. Imo DDs have a lot on their plate, are stretched thin by everything that is expected of them and are easily wiped out. 

Reducing capping time not only takes a bit off of the load DD caotains carry, it makes the game more fluid and makes it more doable for DDs to perform one of their originsl tasks. As an added bonus, it ups the skillfloor of radar users as you can't have a full minute after you notice a cap is being contested to get in position. Same for CV players, they have way less of an information timeframe of the exact whereabouts of a DD. Plus there will be way less frustration in the community of people not playing the objective, not going for caps, playing the sniping/camping game, etc. There is way more incentive to take a cap if you don't have to stay in one place for 60 minute while you get swamped by rockets, chainradared and focused down by the rest of the enemy team.

The more I think about it, the more I want to try out to see how this change would play like. Very good idea, OP! I love it!

Edit: not saying the current game isn't doable, both versions are a matter of choice, but games nowadays are very static and defensively played. Nowadays everyone is just playing the waiting game and every offensuve move is being punished harshly. If playing more offensively had a better chance of success, people would probably easier try for it. Counterplay would be done more easily too, making the need to defend a cap  a bigger issue too. Inactivity would sooner lead to caps being taken over and points being lost way faster. Making a change to incentivize playing the objectives feels for me as a step in the right direction. 

• Cool 1

[DAVY]
Players
525 posts
8,871 battles

Good in theory impractical in practise.

1. Player education.

2. Not all dds are made equal yet the match maker treats them as such. Udaloi Vs Jutland and all the other examples. This would make contesting even more imbalanced.

3. Ties dds to caps, no easier way to pin down a dd than knowing where he is the whole time. Having to be around the cap more but in the cap less is probably going to work out as more dangerous. 

[ENUF]
[ENUF]
Players
2,185 posts
22,634 battles
2 hours ago, FukushuNL said:

In fact, I feel it is the other way around: there is so much ways to (almost) instantly respond to a cap being taken over, it makes taking over a cap way too riskg of a thing. You can say you like it if caps are super hard to take and it is an achievement to take a cap and there will be enough people that will say "git gut", "l2p dd", etc, but that is beside the point. Imo DDs have a lot on their plate, are stretched thin by everything that is expected of them and are easily wiped out.

Caps aren't a solo thing, DDs always need team support to contest a cap: ideally a radar cruiser in a good position, a Zao/Venezia 4 km/7 km behind you or a BB close to the cap so no enemy cruiser dares to get into radar range. It is sensible to dislodge the enemy DD's support before you go in and you have time for that, caps don't win the game instantly. If you don't get support you need to communicate with your team, usually they understand and they want to help you.

Caps aren't the only way to gain points. You can work on getting kills with your spotting and torpedoes to buy time, the thinner the enemy lines become the easier it is to cap.

The most dangerous time is the first 20 - 30 seconds when you touch a cap, I don't see how a faster cap time would help with that. I don't know if short cap times would work with the slow dynamic of this game. A stable cap gives a DD more freedom once he has secured it, with volatile caps he would need to stay close to them for contesting and recapping. This idea might have many more effects than what is desired and my crystal ball is blurry on that, i.e. it would need to be tested.

Players
6,856 posts
11,272 battles
1 hour ago, Ze_Reckless said:

it would need to be tested.

Thats without a question. At the same time, we all know, this is never going to happen, right? I wish, the trainingroom would allow for advanced setting, as if tinker with each and every possible setting, f.e. via a local settings file. This way, the community could easily test such ideas and present the results in the forum or directly to WG. Quite a few other games have such possibilities...

• Cool 1