Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
FukushuNL

Am I overreacting?

30 comments in this topic

[BODEM]
Players
801 posts
7,026 battles

There are many things in this game that can be considered a negative, irritating or even ragequitable element in this game. Radar, CVs, firestarters, Russian fantasy lines, etc. The upcoming Subs could join that list. Each one of those has the ability to want me to scratch the living skin of my body out of irritation, but then I start another game and forget about the prior irritation. I am generally ok with any of these game elements as they are not continuously on my mind in a game, so if you ask me what I think about them, I'd say I am neutral. 

But there is one thing that makes me riled up and make me fear every new game I start: Smolensk. Every single T10 involved game I nowadays check the team list, not because I am interrested in what kind of ships everyone is sailing, but out of fear of people playing Smolensk. And the amount of negativity I feel when there is a Smolensk in the game, either friend or foe, equals the relief I feel when I'm joining a Smolensk free game. 

I have never had this with any other ship in the game. Not with Kutu, not with Black, not with Belfast, not with Kremlin, not with Henry, not with Venezia, not with any DD, with no other ship than the Smolensk. I have a fierce hate against that ship and its the single thing that poisons my fun I have playing this game. 

I would've stopped playing top tier if most things do not require top tier ships.

My question is, am I overreacting? Am I the only one in this situation? I tried to relativate this hate for that ship, like I do with radar and stuff, but in this instance I can't get it done. Even seeing one blow up wants me to be irrationally hurtful to the person sailing it, but I hate being a bully in chat more. 

• Cool 11

[XTREM]
Players
4,150 posts
11,514 battles

You are overreacting. 

And if it really bothers you so much and there are other things that bother you on top of it then you might as well take a bit of a break. 

These things however very likely won't disappear. They removed smolensk from sale for now. 

Just take it as another ship to play around. It's part of the game. 

• Cool 4
  • Bad 3

[CATS]
Players
28,086 posts
14,885 battles

I am only anxious when I have her on my team. Her players tend to mess up too easily.

• Cool 3

Players
168 posts
23,429 battles

Fear and hate are not words you associate with a game. Can I suggest you stop playing as the game offers you, I or the players no control on what ships we want to play with. Start playing again when you can accept it is a game and should not effect you negatively. 

[THESO]
Moderator, Players
1,287 posts
8,944 battles

Hello,

I'm with @ColonelPete here to be honest regarding Smolensk. Smolensk on paper is actually a pretty mediocre ship, the only thing strong about her really is the fire DPM which is strongly enforced by her fire chance, reload time, incredible range with the appropriate build and of course smoke. I actually don't think Smolensk is OP in the majority of player's hands, however she has enormous potential with experienced players who know what they are doing. I would think if you compared her with other cruisers by the stats of mediocre, good, excellent and strong players. I would think Smolensk statistics would increase by larger factors than most ships. She does not need her smoke or her range to work really well, one or the other would be fine. But the combination of both can make her quite ridiculous in most situations. To me she is the mistake Kutuzov was and it's a mistake WG made again in my opinion.

Now to get back on topic. Are you overreacting? I would say regarding Smolensk, a bit. If recent updates and meta changes don't suite you and you don't like them. You can always take a break, there are some other good games out there for you to kill time with. I took a break as well after New Years for a couple months as I was getting burnt out, if you get that feeling then take a step back from the fire. Don't burn yourself.

Kind regards,

Minia

• Cool 5

[PISH]
Players
371 posts
3,321 battles

Overreacting? Maybe, but hey each to his own. Others have given prudent advise that break is good in this situation. Smolensk is removed and those that do have it will grow bored from it so numbers will decrease.

As for the Smolensk itself. When I got my first T10 BB, as you can imagine the GK, I regarded the Smolensk as the unholy spawn of Satan with thirst for my blood in particular. Quite the number of games later and several other BBs I'd say its annoying but not that much of a threat. Plus by reputation it gets focused harder then destroyers and if it weren't for the paper armor and smoke it would get blown out of the water immediately.

But yes take a break and relax or drop some tiers and play something you enjoy. The Sharnhorst twins are my stress relief for example.

[JRM]
Players
6,996 posts
1 hour ago, FukushuNL said:

There are many things in this game that can be considered a negative, irritating or even ragequitable element in this game. Radar, CVs, firestarters, Russian fantasy lines, etc. The upcoming Subs could join that list. Each one of those has the ability to want me to scratch the living skin of my body out of irritation, but then I start another game and forget about the prior irritation. I am generally ok with any of these game elements as they are not continuously on my mind in a game, so if you ask me what I think about them, I'd say I am neutral. 

But there is one thing that makes me riled up and make me fear every new game I start: Smolensk. Every single T10 involved game I nowadays check the team list, not because I am interrested in what kind of ships everyone is sailing, but out of fear of people playing Smolensk. And the amount of negativity I feel when there is a Smolensk in the game, either friend or foe, equals the relief I feel when I'm joining a Smolensk free game. 

I have never had this with any other ship in the game. Not with Kutu, not with Black, not with Belfast, not with Kremlin, not with Henry, not with Venezia, not with any DD, with no other ship than the Smolensk. I have a fierce hate against that ship and its the single thing that poisons my fun I have playing this game. 

I would've stopped playing top tier if most things do not require top tier ships.

My question is, am I overreacting? Am I the only one in this situation? I tried to relativate this hate for that ship, like I do with radar and stuff, but in this instance I can't get it done. Even seeing one blow up wants me to be irrationally hurtful to the person sailing it, but I hate being a bully in chat more. 

Well if you hate Smolensk THAT much just play T7 that wont see her like ever

• Cool 2

[NWP]
Beta Tester
1,827 posts
17,679 battles

I do not fear the Smolensk, however I have noted that if more then one (and even if it is only one) Smolensk per team the gameplay often becomes very static. If the Smolensk player and the ships that do the spotting only have half a brain they usually manage to lock down one flank almost on their own. Given no major misplays it can be very hard to dislodge a Smolensk before it had the opportunity to dish out some serious damage. So Smolensk games tend to degenerate into campfests rather easily.

• Cool 4

Players
1,664 posts

What bothers me way more are all too often my teammates. I really simply want to leave the battle right at the start when i load into a tier 10 game and the first 1 or 2 or 3 things i see are DDs or Cruiser without camo and flags, BBs with SE skilled, ships that turn around the second the game starts and sail across the map to the opposite cap and abandon the flank they spawned on just to avoid enemy contact for as long as possible.

• Cool 5

[HANDS]
Players
268 posts
22,750 battles

From all my tier X cruisers, i have in Smolensk the lowest win rate..is not much the ship..is the player...a good player will make your life miserable with a Smolensk, but probable will do it with any other ship.

• Cool 2

[SWAMP]
Players
564 posts
3,382 battles

Smolensk is overrated.
Recently I've even been opening up on Smolensks with AP in my Daring if they ever show broadside and I can get the jump on them.
Usually ends in a massive citadel fiesta for the Smolensk.
Hilarious stuff.

• Cool 1

Beta Tester
1,965 posts
11,980 battles
2 hours ago, FukushuNL said:

Your overreaacting. Unlike CVs that has zero counters in this game and break all the rules all other classes need to follow, Smolensk actually has quite a few counters. Just switching to HE instead of AP in most BBs can devestate a Smolensk, but all BB players just keep on trying to shoot AP for some reason. Thunderer and Conqueror HE can Blapp a Smolensk in one salvo, or atleast take most of his health and break a couple of guns.

All Swedish DDs can devestate a Smolensk sitting in smoke with hydro with their 90 knots torps when aimed right. Klebers and Mogadors can nuke it with MBRB AP to broadside. French cruisers can easily deal with Smolensk and not even talking about Italian SAP. Most CVs can nuka a smol as well, happened to me many times.

All this and the fact that about 60-70% of the Smol players are clueless to how to play her and usually dies in first 5 min. 

• Cool 1

[DAVY]
Players
2,995 posts
14,554 battles

get angered by them, nope, as a few have said they tend to make mistakes quite often, when it's a good player ok it can be a real pain to deal with, but that can be said about most ships, i love blapping smolly's with thunderer H

Players
3,962 posts
5,268 battles
4 hours ago, FukushuNL said:

with no other ship than the Smolensk. I have a fierce hate against that ship and its the single thing that poisons my fun I have playing this game. 

As a BB player, I perfectly understand how you feel.

Players
1,872 posts
19,334 battles

In the hands of a good player they are damned annoying thankfully very few people who play the Smolensk are any good in her.

Two things about the Smolensk I never understood though is why do so many CV players believe it has God level AA? the number of CVs who complain when they see 2 or 3 of them on the enemy team is confusing. The second is why on Earth WG thought introducing a HE cruiser with smoke would be well received, especially after they removed the Kutozov and Belfast from sale?

Personally I don't find Smolensk to be that big of an issue it's something to watch out for but there are other things I reserve my hate for in this game. 

Players
774 posts
10,974 battles

I really dislike Smolensk and what it brings to the game, but there are other ships/classes which are just as bad or worse - CVs I'm looking at you. (I'm also eyeying that bunch of shiny new submarines suspiciously.)

[IBAN]
Players
141 posts
4,086 battles

My sole object when I see a Smolensk is to ram it before I burn down .. I've never achieved that.

Players
8,456 posts
9,251 battles

I don't really see much of an issue. Smolensk to me mostly farms ships that cannot just go behind some cover or go dark. Which essentially boils down to people who don't seem to have a care in the world for positioning.

That is if the Smolensk itself knows how to position and doesn't just die.

[AMOK]
Players
1,965 posts
8,654 battles

I only get nervous if the Smol is on my team. As others stated Smol players are mostly bad which is the reason why on WGs spreadsheet everything is ok with this ship.

But what really makes me angry is that i generally get shitty rng while shooting a Smol. Everyone and their mother knows and says its squishy as f*ck...i know. But if i get to shoot her its overpenns and even if a salvo is perfectly aimed and the game can't deny the citadelle...its only 1. For me this thing isn't Devstrikable. It's something i realised in my 2 games in her as well. In 1 game i thought "crap thats it" 4 times from very short range, I think the citadel is just an antipole magnet for grenades.

[BBMM]
Players
6,351 posts
8,521 battles
4 hours ago, FukushuNL said:

fear of people playing Smolensk

You have Smolenskofobia. But when you see ME playing it, have no fear.

I am rather harmless with the thing. Check my stats if you do not believe me.

Mostly because I forgot to install the damage-sponge skill, probably. I usually get blapped... :cat_cool:

[BODEM]
Players
801 posts
7,026 battles

Cheers for the replies, all! To comment on them a bit: CVs I don't mind as I see them more like a map hazard. Besides, both teams have one. 

As for lower tiers, I do play them regularly, but I got mostly high tier ships I gotta lvl. Plus Mushashi is probably my best potential money maker.

And it's the potential that bothers me. Saying that most Smolensk cap'ns aren't that good is not that helpful. Most cap'ns aren't that good, period. But with 99% of the ships I can respect a skilled captain. But in a Smolensks there is no skill. Only a continuous, nagging presence..

The thing that gets me the most is that without the range it would be just nothing to make a fuss about. Something akin the Colbert and the Worchester. The plus sides for Smolensk would be the smoke and the torps. You know, I would be happy if they would make a game mode a la subs where people that wanted to sail with Smolensk would have to go to ':) Ah well, I can only hope people will get bored with the ship soon. It's a shame though it's a top tier ship. You can't lvl past it.

[BODEM]
Players
801 posts
7,026 battles
26 minutes ago, BLUB__BLUB said:

You have Smolenskofobia. But when you see ME playing it, have no fear.

I am rather harmless with the thing. Check my stats if you do not believe me.

Mostly because I forgot to install the damage-sponge skill, probably. I usually get blapped... :cat_cool:

Heh, I guess I do. Would nevet have guessed thst could be a thing, but that god aweful thing is really the only I "strongly dislike" about the game. (To keep it civilised. Every time I see a Smolensk I want to bash my screen in to make it disappear. Even CVs and radar ships only get an irritated sigh at most.) I understand that that thing is probably nothing special for the team score most of the time, but it is the only ship that brings out feelings of rage and destruction. I don't dare to speak out its name, fearing it will spawn the next round. 

A Halland was burning me down yesterday and I didn't care that much knowing he had to make his way all the way for me to be in range of its guns. He took the risk to open up on me and reaped the goods. I can respect that. But 19 km in a light cruiser....balanced, my ***.

• Funny 1

[OMPG]
Beta Tester
378 posts
6,676 battles
35 minutes ago, Donar79 said:

But if i get to shoot her its overpenns and even if a salvo is perfectly aimed and the game can't deny the citadelle...its only 1. For me this thing isn't Devstrikable. It's something i realised in my 2 games in her as well. In 1 game i thought "crap thats it" 4 times from very short range, I think the citadel is just an antipole magnet for grenades.

Cruiser size AP seems to work well against Smolensk. However BB AP does not arm thus resulting in overpen. I personally have found LM Zao has pretty good tools to hunt Smolenks. LM Zao has great concealment, good evasion and powerful AP and 12km torps. Method goes like this: See a Smolensk. See it smoke up and start farming. Close within 12km of that smoke and send 10 to 20 torpedoes to that smoke. If Smolensk has hydro on he will see the torps and leave smoke to evade it. Then start kiting away and see if he shows broadside and shoot with AP. If he doesn´t show broadside use HE. The thing is you don´t have to devstrike him or anything just make him leave his smoke and hit him a bit that he wants to go dark thus stop shooting and leaving your team alone for the time being. If he survives and the overall situation permits rinse and repeat.

[BBMM]
Players
6,351 posts
8,521 battles
Just now, FukushuNL said:

Heh, I guess I do. Would nevet have guessed thst could be a thing, but that god aweful thing is really the only I "strongly dislike" about the game. (To keep it civilised. Every time I see a Smolensk I want to bash my screen in to make it disappear. Even CVs and radar ships only get an irritated sigh at most.) I understand that that thing is probably nothing special for the team score most of the time, but it is the only ship that brings out feelings of rage and destruction. I don't dare to speak out its name, fearing it will spawn the next round. 

Hahaha well of course I had to get it, I had the coal for it, and it was a choice between Thunderer and The Thing. 

Since I have Conqkek I picked The Thing. But it is less than stellar. However the "rain of fire" is meme-worthy. 

Just now, FukushuNL said:

A Halland was burning me down yesterday and I didn't care that much knowing he had to make his way all the way for me to be in range of its guns. He took the risk to open up on me and reaped the goods. I can respect that. But 19 km in a light cruiser....balanced, my ***.

That 19km is overrated. Granted you do NOT want the short distance, at T10 that is bloody awful. 

You can't pen anything so it is just something like "farting all over the place". 

A well-played Daring or something else is much more dangerous. 

I know how to play cruisers (sort of..) but this thing... well:

- It is fast, but very slow to accelerate/brake/steer. 

- has smoke, but only small puff. Good luck maneuvering in that...

- yeah it has some "magic overpen". But so far that has only bitten me in the @$$,
  when I try using it RNGesus just says "nope".

Usually I go BOOM due to large HE, when sat undetected in smoke.

Because even when not spotted, people hate Smolly and they'll just shoot the smoke.

So yes I can do those large damage numbers too, but I guess you have to be lucky.

Usually my ship lasts about 5-10 minutes... BLAPPP!!

I don't think it's all that powerful. But it sure as hell can be annoying.

Sign in to follow this