Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Procrastes

Wargaming Gags their Community Contributors? (Probably not, see edit.)

14 comments in this topic

Beta Tester
3,219 posts
3,720 battles

[EDITED: This thread is based on a video that was more than a month old when I first saw it. There has evidently been a debate about this before, and reply-posts so far suggest that things are not at all so alarming as I feared. Which is what I hoped to hear, of course, so the value of an open community has been proved right away. I shall let my opening post stand unchanged for now (see below), and hope that I do not contribute to any misinformation. Best regards to all!]

- - - - -

I just watched Flamu's video on the Pyotr Bagration, from April 11th 2020 (see link down below). Twelve minutes into the video, where he expresses his opinion on how well the ship is balanced (he doesn't think it is very well balanced at all), he also states the following:

"...this is one of the few ships that us CC:s are allowed to say what we really think, like in the future we are not really gonna be allowed to talk about the balance of ships."

It took a few moments for those words to sink in, and then my mind reeled. Had Flamu really said what I just heard him say?

I had to do more than a few playbacks before I was sure I got it right. But those words rendered above, are what he said.

If what Flamu says is true - and I have no reason to doubt him - then this is huge. Huge, and potentially very bad.

I have no personal knowledge of the legal relationship between Wargaming and their community contributors, so I am not going to commit an error of my own by going into a debate about freedom of speech. If there is, or will be, any legally stipulated restraints on what the community contributors are allowed to say in public, I presume that they will also be able to free themselves from these restraints by resigning as community contributors. (Whether they will choose to do so is, of course, their own business.) So I don't believe that this is going to be a question of basic human rights. But it might be a question about the credibility of the community contributor system. Because if those persons affiliated with Wargaming are not going to be able to say what they think when they talk to us, then how shall we, as customers and community members, be able to trust the information we get?

I do not want this thread to turn into a slugfest. I don't want any rants, hate or toxicity. I am only looking for an open and objective debate. Maybe I have misinterpreted the content of the video in question. Maybe - hopefully - I am overreacting here. But I can't deny that Flamu's words, about what he and other CC:s will or will not be allowed to say in the future, has me somewhat worried.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xTlVRnAXd4o

• Cool 2
  • Boring 1

Players
3,101 posts
17,561 battles

This is over a month old news. There is a long thread somewhere with a detailed post by WG.

New stuff is simply under NDA untill about a week before release.

Beta Tester
3,219 posts
3,720 battles
3 minutes ago, GulvkluderGuld said:

This is over a month old news. There is a long thread somewhere with a detailed post by WG.

New stuff is simply under NDA untill about a week before release.

And a week before release, everyone can say what they want?

That's quite another matter then, and quite reasonable as I see it.

Sometimes it feels good to be wrong...!

Players
4,566 posts
7,604 battles

I think it could be a plus, how many ships have been reviewed in one state only to receive a dose of nerf-bat just before release?

• Cool 2

[CATS]
Players
28,262 posts
14,932 battles
20 minutes ago, Procrastes said:

I just watched Flamu's video on the Pyotr Bagration, from April 11th 2020 (see link down below). Twelve minutes into the video, where he expresses his opinion on how well the ship is balanced (he doesn't think it is very well balanced at all), he also states the following:

"...this is one of the few ships that us CC:s are allowed to say what we really think, like in the future we are not really gonna be allowed to talk about the balance of ships."

It took a few moments for those words to sink in, and then my mind reeled. Had Flamu really said what I just heard him say?

I had to do more than a few playbacks before I was sure I got it right. But those words rendered above, are what he said.

If what Flamu says is true - and I have no reason to doubt him - then this is huge. Huge, and potentially very bad.

It is not true.

There are allowed to speak the truth, when the ships are ready for release.

• Cool 1

Players
3,101 posts
17,561 battles
13 minutes ago, Procrastes said:

And a week before release, everyone can say what they want?

That's quite another matter then, and quite reasonable as I see it.

Sometimes it feels good to be wrong...!

Nobody have seen the actual NDA agreement, so who knows but if you trust WGs word then yes, they can.

It would also benefit Flamus viewer numbers to lay it on thick. 

Beta Tester
3,219 posts
3,720 battles
2 minutes ago, ColonelPete said:

It is not true.

There are allowed to speak the truth, when the ships are ready for release.

I must admit, that if Flamu had said that "in the future we are not really gonna be allowed to talk about the balance of ships until they are ready for release", I wouldn't have given it another thought. 

I'm feeling a bit sheepish, here.

Beta Tester
3,219 posts
3,720 battles
Just now, ColonelPete said:

Details are important.

Very much so. I am usually careful to take any word as truth, especially on the internet. It seems I ought to be even more careful in the future.

Beta Tester
939 posts
10,340 battles

No, context is more important than details.

The reason WG doesn't want CC to express their thoughts on WIP ships is experience from previous ships like f.ex: Agir and Odin etc where they obviously had some balance issues to iron out. When the CC posted their opinions on those ships, the community went viral, demanding more buffs or nerfs on WIP ships.

(Note: The opinion restraint is not applied with released premium ships AFAIK).[citation needed].

Your OP is very valid, becouse we got ships like Belfast & Smolensk etc & the balance department is seemingly run by a dice roll or complete potato's that doesn't know how this game works.

• Cool 1

[RODS]
Players
1,502 posts
7,567 battles

1 hour ago, Procrastes said:

I still feel that I owe Wargaming an apology, here. Sorry, Wargaming! :fish_aqua:

I dont think they care

(Apart from that its prolly gonna be a few weeks before RNGesus smiles at u again)

• Funny 1

Sign in to follow this