Sign in to follow this  
Alcor_Panzer

Allow CVs to customise its own loadout

16 comments in this topic

Beta Tester
57 posts
576 battles

I suggest to let CV captains to customize their own aircraft loadouts instead of being restricted to certain pre-sets. I believe the current system is unnecessary and limiting. For instance, for a CV with 3 air groups, one should be able to go in any combinations of F, TBs and DBs (1-1-1, 2-0-1, 0-1-2, 1-2-0, and so on.....).

But what if someone just alpha my battleship with 4 waves of TB at once

For balance reasons, maybe limit the amount of TBs someone can carry at once to be 2 for USA and 3 for IJN CVs.

But we are supposed to have national flavour!!!ONEONEONE, everyone will just play the 'meta' loadout......

But everyone is already playing the meta loadout.

If WG want to see national flavour, balance it by planes (not by fixing the pre-set plane setups) by for example giving USA stronger DBs while giving Japan better TBs or air-launched torps.

Let the shelling discussion begin!

Edited by Alcor_Panzer
  • Cool 9

[EIRE]
[EIRE]
Beta Tester
326 posts
19,186 battles

It does seem a bit crazy to enforce certain aircraft loads, where's the strategy in that?

Beta Tester
8 posts
401 battles

Because nobody would use Bombers then. Only Fighters/Torp-Bombers

The obvious solution to that problem would be to make bombers not suck. :)

[OILUP]
Beta Tester
1,411 posts
8,599 battles

The obvious solution to that problem would be to make bombers not suck. :)

You are overestimating WGs abilities.

Beta Tester
10 posts
1,721 battles

Im using the Bogue at the moment and im finding that while im enjoying shooting down enemy aircraft and clearing the skies once thats done, or the enemy CV stops sending out their aircraft, im pretty useless. I've only had one game where I was having an impact after the enemy CVs ran out of planes and that was bombing ships trying to cap( we drew, didnt see the timer ). Gets boring when the only thing you're good for is shutting down the enemy CV and scouting. Its not really giving my team an advantage to have me just evening up the list vs torp heavy CVs.

Beta Tester
1,196 posts
5,293 battles

I suggest to let CV captains to customize their own aircraft loadouts instead of being restricted to certain pre-sets. I believe the current system is unnecessary and limiting. For instance, for a CV with 3 air groups, one should be able to go in any combinations of F, TBs and DBs (1-1-1, 2-0-1, 0-1-2, 1-2-0, and so on.....).

But what if someone just alpha my battleship with 4 waves of TB at once

For balance reasons, maybe limit the amount of TBs someone can carry at once to be 2 for USA and 3 for IJN CVs.

But we are supposed to have national flavour!!!ONEONEONE, everyone will just play the 'meta' loadout......

But everyone is already playing the meta loadout.

If WG want to see national flavour, balance it by planes (not by fixing the pre-set plane setups) by for example giving USA stronger DBs while giving Japan better TBs or air-launched torps.

Let the shelling discussion begin!

I really like the idea, and also wish to expand on the suggestion with my ideas to expand CV play:

Have each module specify amount of squadrons of bombers and fighters, same as now, but you get to choose what bomber you want, and balance the Dive-bombers to be equally desirable by making them fly higher so they take less damage from AAA then the torpedo bombers that need to approach low and slow making them sitting ducks for AAA.

So the module say 1 fighter squad + 2 bomber squad and you get to select if you want 2TB, 1+1 or 2DB squads.

To further add flexibility you also get to pick one out of two different load-outs for each squadron type, making them play a bit differently. These loadouts can be switched during battle triggering the "rearm" timer again, but you select the default one before entering.

Fighter loadouts:

AA Role: More ammo ( enough to shoot down around 2-3 enemy same lvl airplane for each of your fighters )

Multirole: Less ammo but can do one attack run with bombs/rockets ( half AA ammo, attackrun basically works as a half damage HE divebomber, also -10% speed )

Torpedo Bomber loadouts:

Light: +10% airplane and torpedo speed, -10% damage

Heavy: -10% airplane and torpedo speed, +10% damage

Divebomber loadouts:

HE bombs: Same as now

AP bombs: No/Negligible fire chance, impact has chance to citadel hit for similar damage that same tier BB shell will do, and check penetration versus deck armor ( higher chance to penetrate then same tier BB shell normally due to angles ).

I think these changes would let you play your Carrier like you want, and give you more flexibility to adapt to the battle depending on what your team needs. You still need to plan ahead and make alot of tough choices. For example say your Divebombers just took off with AP loadout but last enemy Battleship was sunk, do you return them to rearm or use these with less effect on targets with less armor )

• Cool 1

[T-N-T]
Beta Tester
71 posts
7,968 battles

Maybe the squadron upgrade tree could look like:

1. default set (like 1 + 1 + 1)

2. free squad selection (max. 0-2, 0-2, 0-2), free planes distribution (e.g. like 15 fighters, 20 TBs, 20 DBs)

3. +1 max squad number, free squad selection (max. set maybe 0-3, 0-2, 0-3 for US now, more TBs allowance for JAP), free planes distribution

[STERG]
Beta Tester
4 posts
5,032 battles

Sounds not bad, but which should have and already has also an impact on the loadout is the size of the plane. So you can load more Fighters becuase they are much smaller then the TBs or DBs. It would also

an interesting thing to alter the number of your reserve aircraft's.

Beta Tester
52 posts
316 battles

Dive Bombers should have the advantage they had in RL - difficult to shot down.

Dive bombers would have a far higher survival rate, since they fly high, outside of the ships AA range, and then dive in suddenly at high speed, giving the AA little time to react.

This would make dive bombers better against targets with heavy AA cover.

Alternatively, you could also increase the chance of fire from dive bombers. After all ,they hit the wooden deck.

Edited by The_TrashMan

Beta Tester
1,196 posts
5,293 battles

Dive Bombers should have the advantage they had in RL - difficult to shot down.

Dive bombers would have a far higher survival rate, since they fly high, outside of the ships AA range, and then dive in suddenly at high speed, giving the AA little time to react.

This would make dive bombers better against targets with heavy AA cover.

Yes, it was not only altitude though, but also elevation... when the dive-bombers got close enough to be easy to hit they were generally right above the target so many gun installations on the targeted ship could not elevate high enough to hit them. And they came screeming down at much higher speeds too compared to what a torpedo bomber leveling out for a drop would have.

Sign in to follow this