You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Cpt_RakkR

Will at least Submarines be a danger to CVs?

66 comments in this topic

[WOP]
Players
44 posts

Coming from Tanks, I really want to embrace Boats as an alternative. However, it makes me sad to see this balancing issue with its 'arty-class' such as did never exist in Tanks and it is a serious put down that prevents me from playing more. It is a basic game-principle that every class has its archenemy in a rock paper-scissors way. My hope is that at least Subs will be a threat to the "I-can-kill-everything-from-a-distance-while-you-cannot-touch-me-overlord-class" that might alleviate the situation a bit and make me welcome the new class. Otherwise I do not know if I can muster the will to go on. 

Enlighten me, are Subs the future bane of CVs or not? Please tell me they are...

• Funny 1
  • Bad 2

Beta Tester
4,711 posts
11,194 battles

If you're worried about "I-can-kill-everything-from-a-distance-while-you-cannot-touch-me-overlord-class"" you're going to be very annoyed by the long range artillery that will kill you from far beyond your own range ships in this game.  Battleships.

• Cool 3
  • Bad 2

Players
3,291 posts
19,976 battles
5 minutes ago, Cpt_RakkR said:

Enlighten me, are Subs the future bane of CVs or not? Please tell me they are...

Nope. Even CV's aren't the bane of CV's. Nothing in particular is. Except this: a bad capitan sailing said CV.

• Cool 9
  • Funny 1

[WOP]
Players
44 posts
5 minutes ago, AgarwaenME said:

If you're worried about "I-can-kill-everything-from-a-distance-while-you-cannot-touch-me-overlord-class"" you're going to be very annoyed by the long range artillery that will kill you from far beyond your own range ships in this game.  Battleships.

Sorry man.. please do not take me for a fool. This comparison is very lame. BBs are far from being untouchable and in fact are a balanced class. They are very weak to torps and rely on support. Then there's low DPS and high chance to miss on long range. Dont BS pls. 

• Cool 2

[BBMM]
Players
6,376 posts
8,565 battles
3 minutes ago, Cpt_RakkR said:

As a player who plays a lot of CV, well no. Not the good player. 

But they'll not be "the bane" of any good player no matter what ship he has. 

But for potato-CV, yes they will be a big problem, depending where they spawn. 

Some CVs have huge detectability, so you better keep them hidden behind an island. 

And that is where the sub is dangerous, because most maps have only 1 or 2 favourite CV hiding spots. 

It is not the sub itself that will be the killer though. The sub wil spot the CV, and there are plenty volunteers to take a shot.

The few torps from sub are not gonna matter. Fat shells from BB at long distance... yes they will. 

[BBMM]
Players
6,376 posts
8,565 battles
Just now, Cpt_RakkR said:

Sorry man.. please do not take me for a fool. This comparison is very lame. BBs are far from being untouchable and in fact are a balanced class. They are very weak to torps and rely on support. Then there's low DPS and high chance to miss on long range. Dont BS pls. 

You will find out he is right. 

Beta Tester
4,711 posts
11,194 battles

They have better torp protection than other ships, and more hp.. and are fighting from behind the range for most torps. So.. no.

As for "low dps"?.. What? BBs are top of the heap in damage. Are they "untouchable"? No, but their survibility is 2nd only to CVs (which are xp pinatas if spotted).

[WOP]
Players
44 posts
7 minutes ago, BLUB__BLUB said:

You will find out he is right. 

Even if he is right, it does not matter, because there is always other BBs that can kill it.

same as in Tanks. If you know that game, you will have noticed that the big guys slug it out between themselves. They have their own meta. Still no threat to game balance. The CV? He has no enemy...

[THESO]
Beta Tester, Players, In AlfaTesters
3,544 posts
9,554 battles

If the gameplay stays the way it is now, the answer is no. A CV can comfortably outrun a sub, and that's if the sub even manages to get through all of the other ships, which is unlikely.

[WOP]
Players
44 posts
1 minute ago, domen3 said:

If the gameplay stays the way it is now, the answer is no. A CV can comfortably outrun a sub, and that's if the sub even manages to get through all of the other ships, which is unlikely.

So still the untouchable class... That is unfortunate. Thanks for sharing.

[BBMM]
Players
6,376 posts
8,565 battles
1 minute ago, Cpt_RakkR said:

Even if he is right, it does not matter, because there is always other BBs that can kill it.

same as in Tanks. If you know that game, you will have noticed that the big guys slug it out under themselves. They have their own meta. Still no threat to game balance. The CV? He has no enemy...

Check my WR at T6 (which I play most of the time). I usually play BB or CV and some cruisers. I never play DD because the gameplay is too fast for me.

You can see that CV Ryujo has the best WR, this is because it has AP-bombs. But right after, a BB. Big fat slow but hard hitting at long distance. 

And the bane of BBs is not another BB, it is cruisers that set them on fire constantly - ply us DDs that topr them while remaining unspotted. 

At T6 you usually have only one (or none) CV. But you always have a few BBs. 

And you bet those BBs will shoot at that CV when he is spotted, and blow him in half. 

Unlike tanks the big guys do not slug it out. Instead, one takes the other with ships. 

T6CVBB.thumb.JPG.119701cd3db3b19ac504c6cf1ca114a4.JPG

[WOP]
Players
44 posts
7 minutes ago, AgarwaenME said:

No, but their survibility is 2nd only to CVs (which are xp pinatas if spotted).

Yeah... but only if they are the lone survivors of the enemy team, which is so often the case because why should they die during the game and not only at the end? That is exactly the point.

On the other hand, all other ships are XP pinatas for the CV during the whole length of the battle.

• Cool 1

[CATS]
Players
28,226 posts
14,924 battles
18 minutes ago, Cpt_RakkR said:

How can slow boats with close to mid range weapons be a danger to ships in the back?

Best counter to CV is teamplay.

Either by eliminating the enemy team and getting to the CV or using a spotter - BB combo.

• Funny 1

Beta Tester
3,392 posts
15,635 battles
22 minutes ago, Cpt_RakkR said:

Coming from Tanks, I really want to embrace Boats as an alternative. However, it makes me sad to see this balancing issue with its 'arty-class' such as did never exist in Tanks and it is a serious put down that prevents me from playing more. It is a basic game-principle that every class has its archenemy in a rock paper-scissors way. My hope is that at least Subs will be a threat to the "I-can-kill-everything-from-a-distance-while-you-cannot-touch-me-overlord-class" that might alleviate the situation a bit and make me welcome the new class. Otherwise I do not know if I can muster the will to go on. 

How long have you been playing Tanks, because when I did, Arty was even more annoying than CVs.

With CVs you just have to stick with other ships, while Artillery was forcing you to hug damn mountains in order to not get wrecked.

• Cool 1

[BBMM]
Players
6,376 posts
8,565 battles

Yeah... but only if they are the lone survivors of the enemy team, which is so often the case because why should they die during the game and not only at the end? That is exactly the point.

Well there's two reasons:

1. CV can keep hidden, but somehow nobody hunts that very big fat piñata. 

2. most CVs do not stay close - this is safer, but it does take flight-time (makes less damage).

On the other hand, all other ships are XP pinatas for the CV during the whole length of the battle.

Not true, really. The CV is a fat large pinata with a soft shell. Any cruiser or DD can do huge damage, a BB can just blap it.

However what the CV can do is sort of poke holes with a thin stick. But yes he can poke lots of holes at a long distance. 

Thing is, most maps have only one (or 2-3) spots where CVs hide. 

Once subs manage to find their way there, it is gonna be a big problem for most CV players.

[CATS]
Players
28,226 posts
14,924 battles
1 minute ago, Cpt_RakkR said:

Good Luck with that in Random.

That has nothing to do with luck. You can do something for it.

• Cool 1

[WOP]
Players
44 posts
11 minutes ago, __Helmut_Kohl__ said:

How long have you been playing Tanks, because when I did, Arty was even more annoying than CVs.

Long enough. Arty was the bane of Heavy tanks (and only them). But Mediums and Lights were the bane of arty. You know: Rock-Paper-Scissors.

There is no equivalent in Boats. Nobody can touch the CV.

The lamenting ppl in Tanks were those that did not understand the Rock-Paper-Scissors aspect of the game (Heavy Tank player mostly) and wanted to be untouchable.

I guess they have found their dreams come true in Boats.

Beta Tester
3,392 posts
15,635 battles
5 minutes ago, Cpt_RakkR said:

Long enough. Arty was the bane of Heavy tanks (and only them). But Mediums and Lights were the bane of arty. You know: Rock-Paper-Scissors.

There is no equivalent in Boats. Nobody can touch the CV.

The lamenting ppl in Tanks were those that did not understand the Rock-Paper-Scissors aspect of the game and wanted to be untouchable.

I guess they have found their dreams come true in Boats.

Pffff, I have 1-shot so many Mediums with AP Artillery then - guess you are not as Veteran as you claim to be.

And remind me again what you are doing against those unspotted TDs sniping you from bushes across the map.

Positioning and awareness are key - in both games.

[WOP]
Players
44 posts
2 minutes ago, __Helmut_Kohl__ said:

Pffff, I have 1-shot so many Mediums with AP Artillery then - guess you are not as Veteran as you claim to be.

Well then, that for sure proves everything you said to be true. OMG

Beta Tester
3,392 posts
15,635 battles
2 minutes ago, Cpt_RakkR said:

Well then, that for sure proves everything you said to be true. OMG

What's your Tanks account and which server?

Just interested, since you have been playing for so long.

[WOP]
Players
44 posts
Just now, __Helmut_Kohl__ said:

What's your Tanks account and which server?

EU, it is not mine anymore. 

As if that matters... Oh I can see, you must be one of those arty-frustrated Heavy Tanks Players from the past that has found his private heaven with boats... lol

Beta Tester
3,392 posts
15,635 battles
3 minutes ago, Cpt_RakkR said:

EU, it is not mine anymore. 

As if that matters... Oh I can see, you must be one of those arty-frustrated Heavy Tanks Players from the past that has found his private heaven with boats... lol

I actually liked to play Arty - I played all classes then and I play all classes now in Ships, including CVs.

The reason why I left Tanks and went for Ships was the way WG was forcing the use of gold ammunition and dumbing down the game. Especially by removing weakspots and making armor just thick enough, so that standard ammo will struggle and gold-ammo is easy mode.

[WOP]
Players
44 posts
1 minute ago, __Helmut_Kohl__ said:

I actually liked to play Arty

Then you know that Arty was far from being untouchable. 

My reason to leave Tanks behind never was the game. The Game was (is?) superb. It actually even hurt a bit to leave for good. But it had to be done, as a matter of principle.