You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Harvin87

Increasing WR% while grinding.

40 comments in this topic

[-R-F-]
Players
87 posts
2,223 battles

Hello Captains,

Is that possible? Until when do you start to "stabilize" it and then increasing? I'm relatively new to the game, I reached 50% WR one month ago, but I started grinding some ship lines and I've just plumeted to 48.53%. I win 2 or 3 and then I end up, no kidding, with 7 straigt losses. It's frustating but I guess is normal? When I started grinding the US battleships (insuferable, including Colorado IMO) it all started going downhill.

Thoughts appreciated. 

• Cool 2

Players
489 posts
6,346 battles

Do what I do and just don't give a &($#.

When I play well, my WR goes up. When badly, it goes down. Oftentimes, it goes down when I play well. When I "grind" ships I hate (currently the Buffalo), it goes down. I just don't care.

Bonus: if you don't care and then post here, you can get a whole page of "you are advancing too quickly, go back to tier IV" advice.

• Cool 1

[CATS]
Players
28,207 posts
14,924 battles
  • play for fun, not for grinding
  • get the upgrades for each ship as soon as possible
  • play different lines or classes to stay at a Tier range longer, that allows you to better learn about enemies and maps of that range
  • Cool 4

[NECRO]
Players
1,746 posts

I still have to figure out why people care about their WR in this game. Sure, you get more XP and $ if you win games (normally!), but other than that... just another useless number, like karma.

• Cool 3
  • Funny 1

[SM0KE]
Players
6,185 posts
14,684 battles
20 minutes ago, Harvin87 said:

Is that possible? Until when do you start to "stabilize" it and then increasing? I'm relatively new to the game, I reached 50% WR one month ago, but I started grinding some ship lines and I've just plumeted to 48.53%.

First, for the avoidance of any doubt: I'm not a good player - around 48% WR overall, last I looked.

That said, a few pointers that may be of some use:

• Don't get too hung up on WR; yes, there are stats snobs out there, but I would suggest using it as a tool for self-assessment - to provide information about what you tend to do well with and what needs attention. Also, bear in mind that a decent data-set is needed before WR becomes meaningful...
  • Recall that the majority of battles will be won/lost almost regardless of what you do; your aim is to edge as many of 'the rest' over the line to victory - these edge cases are where you matter, but there aren't as many of them as you might think (possibly unless you are an utter unicum).
  • Stock ships tend not to be your friend if you want to pad your stats; conversely, don't get too disheartened if you stink in such a ship initially - things will improve when you upgrade it fully. Quite a few people avoid stock ships for this reason: either play them in Coop until you've unlocked the crucial modules, expend some free xp that you might have, or just throw money at the problem to convert xp to free xp (it's usually not a good idea to skip ships entirely though).
  • What you're really after though (IMO) is an indication if you are contributing meaningfully to your team; if you use other metrics (damage done, ships spotted and so on) to identify where you could improve, your WR will generally increase along with that.
  • Tiers matter: generally, the game is simply easier at lower tiers (partly because there is a higher proportion of newer players lower down, and partly because mistakes are often more harshly punished higher up); this is one reason why overall WR isn't terribly meaningful - if you really want a high WR, there are two ways - broadly speaking - to get it: be actually good at the game, or seal club at lower tiers. I doubt there is much disagreement that the two methods will produce wildly different qualities of player for a given WR.

Like I said though, don't obsess about WR; set your own personal goals and move up the tiers when you meet them, and use other numbers to work out where your problems are whenever you meet a plateau. By asking for help, you're already ahead of the bulk of the player-base, pretty much regardless of tier - keep doing that too!

• Cool 2

Players
7,252 posts
245 battles
9 minutes ago, MementoMori_6030 said:

I still have to figure out why people care about their WR in this game. Sure, you get more XP and $ if you win games (normally!), but other than that... just another useless number, like karma.

Too be honest you could apply that to this game or anything else in life. People need goals to work towards otherwise doing the task itself is pointless. Without stats to work towards i would drop this game pretty quickly.

• Cool 1

[LEEUW]
Players
2,631 posts
10,280 battles
36 minutes ago, Harvin87 said:

Hello Captains,

Is that possible? Until when do you start to "stabilize" it and then increasing? I'm relatively new to the game, I reached 50% WR one month ago, but I started grinding some ship lines and I've just plumeted to 48.53%. I win 2 or 3 and then I end up, no kidding, with 7 straigt losses. It's frustating but I guess is normal? When I started grinding the US battleships (insuferable, including Colorado IMO) it all started going downhill.

Thoughts appreciated. 

Try to manage your economy in such a way that you can upgrade your ships right from the getgo (so you don't have to play a stock boat). Same goes for captains. Use flags and camos to train your captain as quick as possible when it's on a new ship (you don't want the perks to be 50% when it's retraining). 

Watch tutorials for specific ships on YouTube. 

Ask how to play and how to equip a ship on this forum. For example post some replays and you'll get plenty of very useful feedback. 

You can lookup the top players of a specific ship on wows-numbers.com and sent them a message ingame (provided they're still playing the game): "Hey, got any tips how to play xxx ship? Cheers." 

Play a few rounds of coop in your new ship to get a feeling for the handling and guns before taking it to randoms. 

Play the ships youre comfortable in to push your winrate up. If you feel like you do well in the New York, who says you have to advance to the New Mexico? Nobody. 

Watch your own replays to see yourself play. This is the best way to identify your own mistakes. 

• Cool 1

[NEXT]
Players
5,501 posts
11,114 battles
44 minutes ago, Harvin87 said:

Hello Captains,

Thoughts appreciated. 

I wouldn't play for the WR, though after 1k and even after 2k battles I still learnt stuff about the game and increased my winrate after that.

• Cool 1

Players
3,095 posts
17,541 battles
43 minutes ago, Harvin87 said:

Until when do you start to "stabilize" it and then increasing?

Takes a while to learn all classes and tiers so probably at least a couple thousand games.

- DDs and CVs are better at carrying than CAs and BBs.

- Game balance is shot to hell, some (often new) lines are very strong but every line as a stinker or two at some tier.

[-R-F-]
Players
87 posts
2,223 battles

Thanks a lot for the help. I'll just keep learning tbh, I'll look at WR in a couple of months to see the evolution. Another question: How do you manage your doubloons? I mean, I need to spend 10-15 euro a month to replentish as I don't have much flags anymore so I if I'm grinding I need to spend on camos, flags...

Beta Tester
1,020 posts
16,359 battles
1 hour ago, Harvin87 said:

It's frustating

just 

45 minutes ago, Bindolaf_Werebane said:

Do what I do and just don't give a &($#.

this ^

The more you care and try the less fun you will have, WR% is meaningless and only nerds judge you by it, so play for yourself and do what you can.

[CATS]
Players
28,207 posts
14,924 battles
9 minutes ago, Harvin87 said:

How do you manage your doubloons? I mean, I need to spend 10-15 euro a month to replentish as I don't have much flags anymore so I if I'm grinding I need to spend on camos, flags...

You do not need to.

Best value for money is premium time anyway.

• Cool 2

[NEXT]
Players
5,501 posts
11,114 battles
7 minutes ago, Harvin87 said:

Thanks a lot for the help. I'll just keep learning tbh, I'll look at WR in a couple of months to see the evolution. Another question: How do you manage your doubloons? I mean, I need to spend 10-15 euro a month to replentish as I don't have much flags anymore so I if I'm grinding I need to spend on camos, flags...

• First advice: Never use dubloons for any randomness like containers.
  • Then for a beginner the premium time can be useful. But only when you know, that you play a lot in this time.
  • Later the T9 and T10 have very high maintenance costs, repair costs doesn't exist, you have to pay for every battle the same. The T9 and T10s have so high costs, that you might get higher costs than you earn. So you can buy premium camouflages for ships, which lower the costs by 50% - I recommend this only for favorite ships. (That means you should really know, that you want play this ship in future a lot)
  • Otherwise you can save the Dubloons for premium ships. You get dubloons by playing ranked and getting the 1st rank, but that is not that easy.
  • Cool 1

[PN4VY]
Players
358 posts
7,014 battles

Hello Captains,

Thoughts appreciated. 

You are already at 50%! Thats pretty good for a new guy, well done!
At this point i would say to not overly stress about it. Just try to maintain it around 50-53%!

Because you are new you dont know what gameplay you like and what your style is, so it is normal to underperform in some ships while you learn the mechanics, the ships etc.

Keep in mind that many countries are still in quarantine so everyone plus their mothers play wows. So everything is chaos.

Few tinfoil tips:
Avoid weekends. The average quality of the players hits rock bottom.
Patch days (like tomorrow) and patch weekends are a shitshow as well.
Do not play the same ship over and over again. Every 2-3 matches try to pick something else.
If you keep getting losses in specific tier brackets,8 to 10 for example, play something at tier 7, or tier 5.

If you wanna track a stat focus on PR. I use wows-numbers to do that.
Try to find a beginner friendly clan and try to play in divisions of 3. Makes this chaos somewhat bearable

• Bad 1

[CAIN]
Players
4,681 posts
19,819 battles

Hello Captains,

Thoughts appreciated. 

Basically what the others said 

I would like to add: 

Pick 2-3. ship lines and play them normally until you reach tier VI. 

Stay at this tier and play these lines until your WR goes steadily up. Now, I am not saying you stay at that tier till kingdom come, just as long until you these ships inside out. 

Then progress to to the next tier, however do not abandon the previous ships just yet. 

When grinding/ learning new ships to play you‘ll have sometime the feeling that the new one is bad. 

However, not only the ship changes, but also the meta at that tier. 

[SM0KE]
Players
6,185 posts
14,684 battles
44 minutes ago, Harvin87 said:

How do you manage your doubloons?

Besides what others have said, make sure that things like cammo and flags that might call for gold use when you run out are set to not replenish automatically (they default to this, although at least you now get a pop-up reminding you of this).

It's a good idea to wait for promos on a lot of stuff (slots especially), plus xp conversion (many folk will tell you to not convert xp using doubloons at all, but I would say don't do it except in extremis) - you don't want to use the 1:25 ratio if at all possible.

If you're going to buy premium ships (as others said, premium time is generally far better value if you're going to play consistently for a time though), make sure you use your armory [sic] coupon, and buy things on special offer; premium ships are - IMO - overpriced, but you can mitigate that.

[LUZ1]
Players
878 posts
12,886 battles

You probably already do so, but use the wiki to get the best setup for your ships and understand the red ships better.

Learn the basics for DDs (watch carefully what you are up against, learn to read your own team, learn how to push when you can and defend when you can't) and cruisers (angle, kite and use the islands for cover).

Diversify your games. Don't just grind, get good in a couple of ships and keep playing those for fun and wins.

Don't get frustrated playing. Make sure you keep enjoying your games.

Have fun!

Modder
4,875 posts
22,504 battles
2 hours ago, Harvin87 said:

I win 2 or 3 and then I end up, no kidding, with 7 straigt losses. It's frustating but I guess is normal? When I started grinding the US battleships (insuferable, including Colorado IMO) it all started going downhill.

When You start to do twice the DMG/kills you already are doing, then Your WR will go up. It's simple dependance.

[UA-NF]
Players
429 posts
7,424 battles
Vor 1 Stunde, Harvin87 sagte:

Hello Captains,

Thoughts appreciated. 

improving while grinding? I don't recommend. Stay on tier 5-6 and try not to jump different ships, You can sail two different cruiser lines and if you die in one, change to second one, but jumping to other classes is not advised. Buying tier 6 premium may be a good option, for it's permacamo and as captain trainer. After 1000 games my winrate was 49%, worse then yours. I bought T-61, german DD, and I played 100 games in it. Untill I learned not to sit in my own smoke, don't get torped, navigate via minimap, kite other DDs with worse concealment, keep them spotted while not getting spotted yourself, and other basic DD gameplay elements. If you learn to spot and not die in tier 6 DD, you'll have 50% winrate even if you don't do any damage.

Same for cruisers, if you learn not to die in first 10 min, you can do lots of damage in last 10-5 min. Learning not to die too soon for tier 6 cruiser is enough for 50% winrate. There are less enemies in second half of the match and it's easier to hide behind island and shoot, so in first 10 minutes priority is survival over doing damage.

Same for BBs, you have to learn how to survive first. Don't sale in straight line, rather zig-zag so you don't eat torps. Don't turn broadside to enemy BBs. If you turn broadside to enemy BB just to shoot your back turrets, you gonna die fast. And as result you deal less damage then if you would only shoot front turrets but stay angeled to enemies and survive longer.

[SO_LO]
Players
22 posts
383 battles

I grind important upgrades in coop because I'm already having a hard time in tier 5 as a new player.

I would go from useless to completely useless hahaha...

Players
823 posts
5,498 battles
4 hours ago, Harvin87 said:

Hello Captains,

Thoughts appreciated. 

Frankly, and saying that as a relatively new player (playing since October last year) the answer is simply NO,

• It is very easy to outpace your growth in skill while grinding. Especially when you make use of all kinds of flags and camos. As an example, with the right flags and camos and a little luck, it is not too hard to move on from stock T5 Omaha to having BOTH T6 Pensacola and Dallas AND all modules for her researched. Quite doable in 15 games (A somewhat extreme example,  Flambass admittedly a very good player, managed to grind a reset line from T1 to T9 (having the T9 ship researched) in 29 games of Random game play). With the right flags and a little luck even a slightly above absolute potato level player like me is able to get 14k XP in a single Podvoyski game. IIRC it took me only 5 games with the right camo and flags to have a fully researched Podvoyski and have the T6 Gnevny researched.
  • US battleships - to use your example - play very differently than many others, due to them being extremely slow. Some players / streamers actually consider them the most difficult line to learn as a beginning player due to the fact that positioning is what is extremely important to the success of playing them (and their impact on the game). And good positioning is very hard to learn.

Also, in some ways, seven losses is nothing. Only last week ran into a guy who I helped break a 23 game losing streak. And playing tonight, I have seen some teams that are simply impossible to carry, even if one had the ability to do so.

Personally my winrate on EU is slowly improving overall (from 42% to 46,5%), but the way I go about is, is setting personal goals, like:

• Grinding for certain objectives (like camos), or completing missions.
  • Trying to stay alive in game, rather then getting killed in the first few minutes.
  • Trying to NOT end up in the bottom of the team.
  • Trying to play objectives, rather than damage.

I have also decided to more or less try to grind through leveling up (especially on NA, but also here on EU), starting basically with T5, and going more or less nation by nation. On EU I have the ships, and even on NA (through luck) I have pretty much all ships needed to complete the directives in campaigns.

Beta Tester
1,726 posts
18,026 battles
Vor 5 Stunden, Harvin87 sagte:

Just don't. There is no reason tp grind as fast as possible, it is not a race. If it were, others had won this before long time ago.

Enjoy the game, not the levelling.

Believe it or not, in the early days of this game, there were no camouflages and flag signals to boost your grind (well, flag signals could be received but only through their respective achievement like High Caliber, Confederate,...). It was totally normal to play 100 to 200 battles to advance from tier 8 to tier 9.

[PISH]
Players
371 posts
3,322 battles

To put it bluntly do not grind. Now this is different from don't progress up the tech tree. Play the ships you like and do good in and play those you need to progress to get the daily bonus. For example I kept the Gneusnau but the Bismark get a win a day and no more as i go up the line. 

And as others have said don't pay too much attention to the WR. Ultimately it doesn't matter that much and will increase as you play more games. Slowly, but it will get there. Also check: https://wows-numbers.com/ there you will see your global and how you did recently. As you progress you will notice a significant difference between the two. Some people reroll to get their e-peen up. Others just have fun.

Beta Tester
4,711 posts
11,189 battles

Your best bet, if you really do care. Conserve fxp (even grind out some more in ships you do well in) to upgrade stock modules, especially hulls. For ships you really don't play well, or that just doesn't carry well, or that you just don't like trying to play in randoms, either coop or much better yet, scenarios.

And as others have said, be careful about grinding one or two lines too quickly, as even if you gain the knowledge about that ship line you'll lack understanding for what others ships can, and cannot do.

But really, for those who really care about performance, they're not going to care too much about your WR alone, and for all ships played together. They'll check your performance on a ship specific basis.

+edit, on an added note. WR.. being a percentage, is just going to be more volatile the fewer games you have. It just won't take many battles for you to swing by several % still and until you've settled with a wider range of ships and have gotten to a certain point skillwise it won't start to become properly relevant.

• Cool 1

Players
3,019 posts

Do what you enjoy.

Avoid following utubers like the ones mentioned as they are for the most part phony constructs dedicated on scamming game captains from subs and money  and not representatives of general average playerbase. Half of their videos are highlights from their best ever games played in different servers under multiple accounts, with suspicious MM and donated 'test' ships sporting 19 point captains and with uber teamates as help + full consumables and flags.

Do you own research. Play for fun and ships you like the most. Higher tiers don't mean better gameplay.