Wulf_Ace

Movies about warships

70 comments in this topic

Players
3,049 posts
988 battles
On 3/23/2021 at 11:53 AM, Pukovnik7 said:

Just watching it, and it is excellent.

Oh, sounds exciting, I am glad you are liking it. As said before I am a big fan of Korean movies, plus here there is a sinergy with ships: I cannot miss it 😉.

• Cool 1

[BYOB]
[BYOB]
Players
5,733 posts
24,844 battles
On 3/22/2021 at 2:50 PM, TheWarJaC said:

Oh, I didn’t know there was an uncut version of Das Boot. I will definitely look for it. Thanks!

Well, there are several cuts. If you can get your hands on the series you're golden. If you can't get that, the director's cut is also ok.

• Cool 1

[D_G]
Players
759 posts
4,160 battles
On 3/23/2021 at 12:40 PM, TheWarJaC said:

Oh, sounds exciting, I am glad you are liking it. As said before I am a big fan of Korean movies, plus here there is a sinergy with ships: I cannot miss it 😉.

BTW? I watched a version without English subtitles, so I couldn't understand a word they were saying. I suspect it would be even better if I could.

EDIT: And just as a disclaimer, considering the date, this is not a joke.

• Cool 1

Players
3,049 posts
988 battles
On 4/1/2021 at 10:38 AM, Pukovnik7 said:

BTW? I watched a version without English subtitles, so I couldn't understand a word they were saying. I suspect it would be even better if I could.

EDIT: And just as a disclaimer, considering the date, this is not a joke.

Pukovnik you became my true hero: you kept watching a 2 hours long movie in Korean until the very end. I am impressed by your strong will, sir. 

• Cool 2

[BYOB]
[BYOB]
Players
5,733 posts
24,844 battles

Just found a  movie I've been looking for quite some time:

712beIA5KLL._SL1200_.jpg

Not really a naval movie, but it has the sinking of the Blücher in it. :cap_look:

[URUC]
Players
484 posts
13 ore fa, Aragathor ha scritto:

Just found a  movie I've been looking for quite some time:

712beIA5KLL._SL1200_.jpg

Not really a naval movie, but it has the sinking of the Blücher in it. :cap_look:

Was posted a year ago:

Players
843 posts
7,035 battles

Another B-film with decent VFX worth a watch but falls flat due to Nicholas Cage's wooden acting (no surprise there!) 

6/10

uss.jpg

[THESO]
Players
1,745 posts
20,199 battles

Imo one of the few movies worth watching is Das Boot, about german submarine warfare. There is a cut version. But you really need to see the Director's Cut, significantly longer but worth every minute.

What makes this movie great is the authentic mentality. Simple sailors cursing at each other. Everyone is clean and shaved at the beginning of the movie and then deteriorating into a dirty smelly ghost. The best thing tho is that we don't get this agenda-driven heroism that so many other movies exhibit, that just feels like a lie told to the audience to gain their support for whatever war was fought during the time of the making of the movie.

In Das Boot, the sailors are driven by boredom. They are sailing on the ocean for weeks, locked into a tiny submarine. The torpedoes are taking up space. They just want to dump them and get some action for the sake of ending the idle routine. And yet nobody wants to be a hero, but just survive and they all see with horror the sailors who they leave to drown. This is similar to an interview that iirc was made with a german sailor witnessing the detonation of the Queen Mary in the Battle of Jutland. He stated there was no huge cheers but silence as they all knew this was the fate that could happen to any sailor.

The worst movie I've ever seen was this Indianapolis bit with Nicolas Cage. Sharks pulling people off life-rafts is just outright ridiculous. Sharks are as cautious as any other animal and don't risk injury from a living being when there is a perfectly fine dead body drifting a few meters away, not to get into the dietary habits.

• Cool 2

Players
3,049 posts
988 battles
19 hours ago, HMS_Kilinowski said:

The worst movie I've ever seen was this Indianapolis bit with Nicolas Cage. Sharks pulling people off life-rafts is just outright ridiculous. Sharks are as cautious as any other animal and don't risk injury from a living being when there is a perfectly fine dead body drifting a few meters away, not to get into the dietary habits.

Ahaha even from the poster you can tell it is not such a great movie. 

But with Nicolas Cage it works like this, either the movie is brilliant or a giant piece of garbage. He is the Schrödinger's cat of acting. :Smile_veryhappy:

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1

Players
182 posts

Plus two more serious offerings (no laughs here - be warned!): On the Beach (1959 film) - Wikipedia (Gregory Peck is always great :cap_cool:, even at the end of the world) and (if you can ignore the patriotic undertones and the sometimes off-key English subtitling; just concentrate on the submarine scenes - shot on a real Finnish but German designed submarine used as a stand-in for a German WWI U-boat and advised on by a real WWI submarine commander) Morgenrot ( Ganzer Film) : Free Download, Borrow, and Streaming : Internet Archive . 

[BYOB]
[BYOB]
Players
5,733 posts
24,844 battles

While not a movie about age of steel ships, we are now in the midst of the Dutch cruiser release so it fits:

michiel-de-ruyter-film-bd6a950a-b273-48a

With two side characters played by Charles Dance as Charles II and Rutger Hauer as Maarten Tromp.

In English the movie was released as Admiral. So very creative...:cap_tea:

• Cool 1

Players
1,318 posts
7,513 battles

I rewatched Das Boot yesterday. Pretty sure it was the Director's Cut. I've seen the miniseries previously, but not recent enough to say anything about missing content. Time to re-rewatch it I guess. :Smile_izmena:

I almost feel ashamed that I ordered a DVD of U-571 once (and bought a VHS of Pearl Harbor... :Smile_hiding:) but Das Boot is so much better. I love the cynicism of the crew, and the music.

Michiel de Ruyter... meh. I have my questionmarks about its historical accuracy. About events, ships used in the battles, but also about the admiral himself. Someone who was deeply religious IRL was cursing in the movie, to the extent that I was annoyed by it. I don't remember how often it happened, but I wasn't impressed by the actor anyway. Perhaps that is because he'll forever remain the guy from the Jumbo supermarket to me. Regardless, I like the fact that during the premiere a group of (former) marines threatened to throw a group of woke/sjw protestors in the water.

Something that might be interesting is the TV series Das Boot from 2018, which is a sequel to the 1981 movie/miniseries.

[BYOB]
[BYOB]
Players
5,733 posts
24,844 battles
16 hours ago, Robber_Baron said:

Michiel de Ruyter... meh. I have my questionmarks about its historical accuracy.

I don't expect such movies to be accurate. The reason is simple, we don't have enough materials for accuracy. That's why a lot of archeology and research goes now into everyday stuff, to at least shine a light at the daily life.

We know about the actions of key players as told by writers and chroniclers, but we rarely have eyewitness reports about their daily interactions. For example, we know that Hitler spoke like a Bavarian redneck when in private. How? Field Marshal Mannerheim of Finland had a secret recording made of him. Normally Hitler was always recorded prepared. One recording, that's what we still have. We have nothing but anecdotes about the likes of de Ruyter, Tromp, Vauban, or Monck.

Be honest, how many movies have been made about the Netherlands in that period? How many have never been released outside of the Netherlands?

[UNSOC]
[UNSOC]
Players
64 posts
9,274 battles

Just spent an hour trying to find "Greyhound" on DVD only to learn that Sony sold it to Apple, who only stream it on Apple TV+

Time to dig out the Parrot, Cutlass and Eyepatch, I think.

Players
12 posts
8,541 battles

Surprised no one has mentioned the

Yangtse Incident

HMS Amethyst F116, Modified Black Swan class frigate . Shelled by the Chinese PLA but escapes in the end down the Yangtse.  .Also involves HMS Consort AND HMS Concord. Probably my favourite RN film.

Might be a bit before a lot of peoples time LOL

Sign in to follow this