Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Wulf_Ace

Movies about warships

70 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

[EUTF]
Players
348 posts
7,796 battles

Another one that i seen a year ago but isnt a ship movie but still really good

Eternal_zero_film_poster.jpg

 

 

 

  • Cool 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
3,049 posts
988 battles
On 7/27/2020 at 2:25 PM, Nauseica said:

Another one that i seen a year ago but isnt a ship movie but still really good

Eternal_zero_film_poster.jpg

 

 

 

Looks pretty cool, thanks guys, I am getting a lot of nice suggestions to add on my list 😊

 

In my opinion, also this one is a good war movie: Taegukgi: The Brotherhood of War . It is a Korean film about the war between South and North Korea.

One of my personal favorites is The Thin Red Linea very philosophical movie that doesn't get tedious or pretentious as other movies from Terrence Malik (see the Tree of life :Smile_veryhappy:) .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[EUTF]
Players
348 posts
7,796 battles

Another one i watch last night on my vacations

 

"The thin red line" focusing in the fights in Guadalcanal during the second World War and its an adaptation of novel-autobiography.
Just keep in mind is almost 3 hours long.

 

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
1,318 posts
7,513 battles

A movie about warships from a non-WoWs era which I think is often overlooked is Master and Commander. Not based on a real battle, but the movie feels authentic. Nominated for many Oscars when those still meant something, but they had the misfortune to have to compete against LOTR.

 

Greyhound on the other hand? Going by the trailer it seems too "Hollywood" to me. "Fury" at sea, perhaps.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
1,387 posts
22,275 battles

There was at a certain point a movie about the cruiser Baleares partially filmed on her sister ship Canarias. I said at a certain point because, AFAIK (I first read about it on a military magazine more than two decades ago), in spite of having the initial blessing of Franco's regime and after all the work was done, some censor considered it unsuited right before the premiere and ordered all the copies to be destroyed.

 

Salute.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
3,049 posts
988 battles
On 8/12/2020 at 11:34 AM, Nauseica said:

Another one i watch last night on my vacations

 

"The thin red line" focusing in the fights in Guadalcanal during the second World War and its an adaptation of novel-autobiography.
Just keep in mind is almost 3 hours long.

 

Yes!
As I said in my previous comment: it is my favorite Terrence Malik movie and one of my favorite war movies of all time. 

It's poetical and describes war through different angles respect all the other films of the genre.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[TACHA]
Players
1,210 posts
11 hours ago, TheWarJaC said:

Yes!
As I said in my previous comment: it is my favorite Terrence Malik movie and one of my favorite war movies of all time. 

It's poetical and describes war through different angles respect all the other films of the genre.

Have to confess, I very much preferred the book of The Thin Red Line to the film (although the film was by no means bad), and I preferred Naked and the Dead by Norman Mailer as a book (although only just, they're both decent reads; not too sure about some of Mailer's other stuff though!).

 

If we're talking tenuous links and excellent albeit non-naval war movies, though, bear with me on this one:

 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Charge_of_the_Light_Brigade_(1968_film)

 

(Because the Thin Red Line originally referred to the stand of the 93rd Highlanders during the Battle of Balaclava, where the charge of the Light Brigade also happened)

 

:cap_like:

 

On 9/19/2020 at 10:33 PM, Robber_Baron said:

A movie about warships from a non-WoWs era which I think is often overlooked is Master and Commander. Not based on a real battle, but the movie feels authentic. Nominated for many Oscars when those still meant something, but they had the misfortune to have to compete against LOTR.

Again, as good as the film is, the Master and Commander books are waaaaay better ;)

  • Cool 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
3,049 posts
988 battles
10 hours ago, NobleSauvage said:

Have to confess, I very much preferred the book of The Thin Red Line to the film (although the film was by no means bad), and I preferred Naked and the Dead by Norman Mailer as a book (although only just, they're both decent reads; not too sure about some of Mailer's other stuff though!).

 

If we're talking tenuous links and excellent albeit non-naval war movies, though, bear with me on this one:

 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Charge_of_the_Light_Brigade_(1968_film)

 

(Because the Thin Red Line originally referred to the stand of the 93rd Highlanders during the Battle of Balaclava, where the charge of the Light Brigade also happened)

 

:cap_like:

 

Again, as good as the film is, the Master and Commander books are waaaaay better ;)

Ahaha, the book is always better!

Thank you for your suggestion, it looks rather interesting. I am voraciously looking for some new great movies to watch all the time.

Since we are slightly turning to non-naval war movies, I would like to recommend also these classics:

The Great War by Mario Monicelli https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0052861/

Paths of Glory by Stanley Kubrick https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0050825/

La Grand Illusion by Jean Renoir https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0028950/

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[-RNR-]
Players
1,566 posts
10 hours ago, NobleSauvage said:

Again, as good as the film is, the Master and Commander books are waaaaay better

I enjoyed the Film but I can't for some reason get into the books yet I've been an avid reader of Alexander Kent/Douglas Reman for many years and also the Hornblower series, can't explain it at all :(

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[TACHA]
Players
1,210 posts
9 hours ago, motor_g_b said:

I enjoyed the Film but I can't for some reason get into the books yet I've been an avid reader of Alexander Kent/Douglas Reman for many years and also the Hornblower series, can't explain it at all :(

It's possible it's the same thing that drew me to the series in particular: they go really deep into evoking the feel of the time, with all the language used and such being as period-authentic as possible to an extent I've not seen in other historical fiction; and that can make it pretty impenetrable for most sane people ;) I think I just happen to have a congenital condition that makes me vastly prefer 'It don't signify' to 'It doesn't matter'... :cap_haloween:

 

10 hours ago, TheWarJaC said:

Ahaha, the book is always better!

Thank you for your suggestion, it looks rather interesting. I am voraciously looking for some new great movies to watch all the time.

Since we are slightly turning to non-naval war movies, I would like to recommend also these classics:

The Great War by Mario Monicelli https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0052861/

Paths of Glory by Stanley Kubrick https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0050825/

La Grand Illusion by Jean Renoir https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0028950/

 

If we're Kubricking, I'd be remiss not to suggest Full Metal Jacket and Barry Lyndon. I'd raise you a Kurosawa, though, and point out that Kagemusha is an all-time classic Samurai war movie (for anyone interested in specifics it covers the end of Takeda Shingen's campaigns against Uesugi Kenshin if I recall correctly).

 

In fact, I might as well just post this (although he seems to think Ran is better than Kagemusha; swings and roundabouts really):

 

  • Cool 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[-RNR-]
Players
1,566 posts
On 9/22/2020 at 7:58 PM, NobleSauvage said:

t's possible it's the same thing that drew me to the series in particular: they go really deep into evoking the feel of the time, with all the language used and such being as period-authentic as possible

Alas I've read quite a few old books writen in Old English prose so I can't put it down to that. Probably more of a case of kicking myself in the backside and giving it a go now my lifes calmed down a bit and I've got what the Americans say more Leeeasure Time  :))

PS Just subscribed to Atun-Shei, Interesting.

  • Funny 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
3,049 posts
988 battles
On 9/22/2020 at 8:58 PM, NobleSauvage said:

It's possible it's the same thing that drew me to the series in particular: they go really deep into evoking the feel of the time, with all the language used and such being as period-authentic as possible to an extent I've not seen in other historical fiction; and that can make it pretty impenetrable for most sane people ;) I think I just happen to have a congenital condition that makes me vastly prefer 'It don't signify' to 'It doesn't matter'... :cap_haloween:

 

 

If we're Kubricking, I'd be remiss not to suggest Full Metal Jacket and Barry Lyndon. I'd raise you a Kurosawa, though, and point out that Kagemusha is an all-time classic Samurai war movie (for anyone interested in specifics it covers the end of Takeda Shingen's campaigns against Uesugi Kenshin if I recall correctly).

 

In fact, I might as well just post this (although he seems to think Ran is better than Kagemusha; swings and roundabouts really):

 

Aahaha, I like those movies, especially Barry Lyndon (and its soundtrack!). Regarding Kurosawa, I loved both Kagemusha and Ran, even though my favorite from him is Rashomon, which is a bit unrelated to the topic.
There would be The Sacrifice from Tarkovsky, also, which is not a war movie on the proper sense of the term but describes accurately the atmosphere of fear and the tension given by a possible nuclear holocaust during the cold war. 
(It came to my mind because of Andrei Rublev 😊 .)

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
47 posts
8,403 battles
On 5/13/2020 at 12:53 PM, Wulf_Ace said:

So far the best I ve seen was "The battle of the river Plate", and the battle of Midway but old version not this new one. do you know any more like that? 

 Spot of trivia for you - Graf Spee was portrayed by USS Salem , HMNZS Achilles portrayed herself although she then in service with the Indian navy as INS Delhi and HMS Cumberland also appeared as herself.

  • Cool 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[RONIN]
[RONIN]
Players
941 posts
6,681 battles
1 hour ago, Sgt_Hakeswell said:

 Spot of trivia for you - Graf Spee was portrayed by USS Salem , HMNZS Achilles portrayed herself although she then in service with the Indian navy as INS Delhi and HMS Cumberland also appeared as herself.

Trivira for you? did you really think I thought that graf spee was even close to looking as real one?  He basiclly in one point says, look I have 6 powerful guns to shoot, and the next scene you see 9 guns.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[D_G]
Players
759 posts
4,160 battles
On 7/23/2020 at 2:33 PM, TheWarJaC said:

I really like also Korean cinema (before Parasite hit if you believe me:Smile_veryhappy: ). Even though it is not a war movie in the classical sense (it's more about the consequences of war) you might find this movie interesting Joint Security AreaIt's one of the first movies of the director of Oldboy, Chan-wook Park. Not his best but still a good movie.

On 7/23/2020 at 1:58 PM, Aragathor said:

Is there any movie about (or having) Korean turtle ships?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[D_G]
Players
759 posts
4,160 battles
On 7/25/2020 at 8:34 PM, Salentine said:

Just watched Greyhound, enjoyed it very much.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQNDIjrGpS0

Greyhound - Film (2020)

 

 

On 7/27/2020 at 11:40 AM, TheWarJaC said:

 This one looks promising indeed!

That is an understatement. I just watched the movie, and the scene of Greyhound's departurer moved me to tears. Literally. I cannot remember the last time a movie did that to me.

  • Cool 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
3,049 posts
988 battles
22 hours ago, Pukovnik7 said:

 

That is an understatement. I just watched the movie, and the scene of Greyhound's departurer moved me to tears. Literally. I cannot remember the last time a movie did that to me.

Ops, haven't watched it yet: shame on me. I will try to catch up this week! (Regarding crying at movies I am like a pro. I could cry watching Smurfs XI: Cooking  lessons with Gargamel  😀)

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[LX]
Players
527 posts
25,541 battles
17 hours ago, S_h_i_v_a said:

The claustrophobic submarines  

I remember watching Das Boot when it first shown as a mini-series on the BBC in the mid-eighties. Thoroughly enjoyed it.

More recently I re watched it, but it had been cut down to fit into a movie length time slot and it really lost a lot.

If you can see the full version I'd recommend that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
3,049 posts
988 battles
4 hours ago, NewHorizons_1 said:

I remember watching Das Boot when it first shown as a mini-series on the BBC in the mid-eighties. Thoroughly enjoyed it.

More recently I re watched it, but it had been cut down to fit into a movie length time slot and it really lost a lot.

If you can see the full version I'd recommend that.

 Oh, I didn’t know there was an uncut version of Das Boot. I will definitely look for it. Thanks!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sign in to follow this  

×