You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Cpt_RakkR

Stealth vs. Planes

74 comments in this topic

[WOP]
Players
44 posts

I do not think I have to explain much what the problem is....

As a DD, how I am supposed to counter aircrafts blowing my cover in the middle of an attack run and make me die miserably because everyone and their mother is going out of their way to sink me? This is frustrating.

• Cool 2

[PISH]
Players
417 posts
3,774 battles

Turn off AA, adjust heading and speed when you spot the planes vectoring.

• Cool 3

[WOP]
Players
44 posts

Not much of a relieve to be honest.

The planes path usually is unpredictable, they are much faster than I am, and they see me whether I shoot at them or not.

[OGHF]
Players
1,334 posts
23,794 battles
2 minutes ago, Cpt_RakkR said:

The planes path usually is unpredictable, they are much faster than I am, and they see me whether I shoot at them or not.

Then change your plan of attack, leave your AA off (P key) watch the mini map like a hawk

• Cool 1

[PISH]
Players
417 posts
3,774 battles

Remember there is a difference when the planes spot you on the way and when they are actively hunting you. If its not rocket planes chances are the carrier is after someone else on your flank. With that in mind stay clear of your friendlies so you won't get spotted by the attack. Most DDs have small enough Air detection that you can run away from the attack run on your allies and not get spotted. The carrier will know his planes are detected if you are alone but finding a DD takes time and he probably launched bombers for someone else.

Its a bit mirky with HE bombers, American or British, that may or may not be after you but they are not the best at DD hunting in comparison to the rockets for most CV players.

Now if the rockets are in the air you are being hunted and once your general location is known chances are the CV will hover like a vulture. There are a few things you may try. If the rockets are after you retreat to your allies to maximize AA. Second try not to show your broadside to the attack run, DDs are maneuverable enough. If you take the rockets bow on you will minimize the damage. Additionally the rocket reticle gets larger the more the planes maneuver so try not to allow the CV a straight line of attack. If he has to adjust mid attack run the reticle will bloom and less rockets will hit you. Or even none if you manage to face bow or stern on the attack.

Also turn off AA until the planes are on top of you as suggested.

[CATS]
Players
30,072 posts
15,430 battles
4 minutes ago, Cpt_RakkR said:

They are usually not unpredicatable.

Differentiate between situations with planes on the other side of the map and planes near you or unspotted planes.

To spot you, planes must enter a circle with 2.5 to 4 km radius. Missing that circle by 100m keeps you hidden. Use that.

Countless times planes have missed my DD by that much and kept my ship hidden.

Players
4,277 posts
12,084 battles

Don't rush the caps to quickly. Noone ever needs them in the first 2minutes just to die into. 

Wait for the CVs planes to pass and then move in closer. Make sure the CV has picked an interesting target so you can be sure to be left alone for a bit. 

Also play more. The more you play the faster you learn how to handle these things. 

• Cool 3

[WOP]
Players
44 posts

These times, it seems to be every CVs favorite sport to hunt DDs with rockets. And it makes sense too,  because once they are all dead, our team is blinded.

To add insult to injury, DDs are virtually defenseless when not near a BB, which naturally most often is not the case. So funny.

Also, as I have said, my problem is not getting sunk by rocket planes, even if that happens too, it is getting spotted by planes an then being sunk by the ship(s) I was stalking. Whats the point of stealth when you are always on the brink of being spotted by some pesky plane?

[CATS]
Players
30,072 posts
15,430 battles
3 minutes ago, Cpt_RakkR said:

These times, it seems to be every CVs favorite sport to hunt DDs with rockets. And it makes sense too,  because once they are all dead, our team is blinded.

To add insult to injury, DDs are virtually defenseless when not near a BB, which naturally most often is not the case. So funny.

Also, as I have said, my problem is not getting sunk by rocket planes, even if that happens too, it is getting spotted by planes an then being sunk by the ship(s) I was stalking. Whats the point of stealth when you are always on the brink of being spotted by some pesky plane?

And we explained how to prevent to get spotted.

[PISH]
Players
417 posts
3,774 battles

Again mate as @Yoshanai put it it takes time and practice. CVs live and die on time so don't sail in a predictable pattern where the CV can find you easly. The more time it takes the CV to locate you the bigger the chances are the CV will drop the pursuit and find someone else. If he doesn't, well that more time for your team and CV to do their work.

Also keep track of where you were spotted before. CVs will use that as a point of reference when searching for you. Changing heading drastically after you go dark can help.

I haven't checked your stats but personal advise. Start playing CVs on the side. Know your enemy. :)

• Cool 1

[WOP]
Players
44 posts
24 minutes ago, ColonelPete said:

They are usually not unpredicatable.

Differentiate between situations with planes on the other side of the map and planes near you or unspotted planes.

To spot you, planes must enter a circle with 2.5 to 4 km radius. Missing that circle by 100m keeps you hidden. Use that.

Countless times planes have missed my DD by that much and kept my ship hidden.

Well, tell me a CV captain that knows what he is doing is predictable.

Tell me a plane cannot zoom from the other side of the map to my ship in much too short a time for me to rush into security and leave the range of a CC let alone a BB.

Tell me it is not easy for an experienced CV captain to utilize a search pattern and find you in your 2.5 to 4km bubble if he wants to.

[CATS]
Players
30,072 posts
15,430 battles
Just now, Cpt_RakkR said:
  1. Well, tell me a CV captain that knows what he is doing is predictable.
  2. Tell me a plane cannot zoom from the other side of the map to my ship in much too short a time for me to rush into security and leave the range of a CC let alone a BB.
  3. Tell me it is not easy for an experienced CV captain to utilize a search pattern and find you in your 2.5 to 4km bubble if he wants to.
  1. Especially then. Good CV players do not like flying around aimlessly. That costs DPM. Figure out what they want to do with their planes.
  2. They cannot, unless you are out of position or spotted.
  3. It is not easy when you evade.
  • Cool 1

Players
4,277 posts
12,084 battles
3 minutes ago, Cpt_RakkR said:

Well, tell me a CV captain that knows what he is doing is predictable.

Tell me a plane cannot zoom from the other side of the map to my ship in much too short a time for me to rush into security and leave the range of a CC let alone a BB.

Tell me it is not easy for an experienced CV captain to utilize a search pattern and find you in your 2.5 to 4km bubble if he wants to.

I can tell you that 90% of the CV players you meet are bad and that if you get caught by them it's your own fault. 

Everything else depends on the skill of the CV player. 

• Cool 3
  • Bad 1

[WOP]
Players
44 posts
1 minute ago, ColonelPete said:
  1. Especially then. Good CV players do not like flying around aimlessly. That costs DPM. Figure out what they want to do with their planes.

Oh I figured that one out already: They want to sink (or help sinking) all the DDs in the enemy team in as short a time as possible. After that, they have all the time in the world to go after the big slow targets with their torps.

[WOP]
Players
44 posts
1 minute ago, Yoshanai said:

I can tell you that 90% of the CV players you meet are bad 

This is not my experience. You must be very lucky then ;)

[WOP]
Players
44 posts

Have you noticed how every CV player (and I mean  e v e r y) starts the game with rocket planes?

At least there we have a predictable pattern. ;)

Players
4,277 posts
12,084 battles

If you are implying that every CV player you meet in low tiers is a good player then wait until you reach high tiers where the really good CV players play. Then hopefully you will understand that it is your own fault that you are getting owned in lowtiers as you will be punished quickly and easily by the CV players that you'll meet in t8+

Also you are a reroll that didn't really work out to well by the way. Maybe try again or something. Just remember that the bad CV players you whine about won't go away. 

• Bad 1

[CATS]
Players
30,072 posts
15,430 battles
18 minutes ago, Cpt_RakkR said:

Oh I figured that one out already: They want to sink (or help sinking) all the DDs in the enemy team in as short a time as possible. After that, they have all the time in the world to go after the big slow targets with their torps.

Yes, when they fly around with torpedo or dive bombers, that is probably their plan :Smile_smile:

Players
3,682 posts
20,811 battles

The tips in here are valid and with enough practice and trying carriers to get first hand experience, you will be able to develop a dd playstyle where carriers aren't a mortal coil most of the time. But it takes time and effort to learn.

• Cool 1

[SUCKS]
Beta Tester
89 posts
21,929 battles

Lol at all these "get gut" comments.

Apart from all the ussual play safe at the start "advice", we all know that most cv's will hunt dd's since its the easiest target to hit without losses since its mostly unprotected by AA so they dont lose their costly but unlimited planes. Also they can chunk a dd in 3 rocketplane runs into fishfood and the DD can do nothing about it if he doesnt have his smoke ready. But like the OP sayes the fact that the whole enemy team opens up even tho u try to dodge the radar and enemy dd makes it frustrating as hell.

Even if this all good and fair, what makes it blatantly OP is the fact that planes get their own ur detected warning signaling that theres a DD near to the planes. After that a simple search and destroy pattern follows.

• Boring 1

Players
4,277 posts
12,084 battles
1 minute ago, Robustius said:

detected warning signaling that theres a DD near to the planes

Even some of the CV players on this very forum have a hard time utilizing this correctly. To assume the usual 50% WR CV player to even understand this detail is a bit much. 

• Bad 1

[RONIN]
Players
526 posts
4,800 battles
1 hour ago, Yoshanai said:

Don't rush the caps to quickly. Noone ever needs them in the first 2minutes just to die into. 

Wait for the CVs planes to pass and then move in closer. Make sure the CV has picked an interesting target so you can be sure to be left alone for a bit. 

Also play more. The more you play the faster you learn how to handle these things. 

dont you know what happens then? DD is a noob, report him, DD where are you going?what are you doing? we are losing the game beacouse of this guy... you got the point.

Players
4,277 posts
12,084 battles
Just now, Wulf_Ace said:

dont you know what happens then? DD is a noob, report him, DD where are you going?what are you doing? we are losing the game beacouse of this guy... you got the point.

Just ignore these people. They don't know their crap if they suggest you to just suicide. There is no team play. Play for yourself ignore what they tell you and play safe and good. 

Why worry about the red army on your team or what they are trying to tell you? 

Try to guess how many random players try to explain me how to play CV in chat. I don't give a crap about them I play my game and win. 

[MUMMY]
Beta Tester
462 posts
6,230 battles
25 minutes ago, Cpt_RakkR said:

Have you noticed how every CV player (and I mean  e v e r y) starts the game with rocket planes?

At least there we have a predictable pattern. ;)

Because they are phast as phug?

In addition, for most carriers they are expendable, or at least their loss does not hurt that much in terms of DPM. At the start of the game the enemy ships are crowded or the locations of AA-strong ships are unknown, attack planes give fast intel and have good abilities in harrassing DDs and denying early caps or setting an early fire on something bigger. Most people use DCP after the first strike because "just rockets lol", sometimes you get off a second one with another fire or just send torpedoes for some juicy flooding afterwards. Not only does this give personal damage, it gives information on locations and destinations, provides targets and delays enemies.

Most CVs use attack planes first, because it makes the most sense.

Personally I also start off mostly with attack planes, searching for DDs while providing early spots. If nothing of value can be found, I just yolo-drop the next best target. When a DD gets spotted it is obviously naughty touching time, until he is either dead, crippled for a long time or forced to abandon an active/useful position.

2 minutes ago, Robustius said:

Lol at all these "get gut" comments.

Apart from all the ussual play safe at the start "advice", we all know that most cv's will hunt dd's since its the easiest target to hit without losses since its mostly unprotected by AA so they dont lose their costly but unlimited planes. Also they can chunk a dd in 3 rocketplane runs into fishfood and the DD can do nothing about it if he doesnt have his smoke ready. But like the OP sayes the fact that the whole enemy team opens up even tho u try to dodge the radar and enemy dd makes it frustrating as hell.

It is easy damage, but not always good damage. What use is there in harrassing the enemy DD for 10 minutes while he already disengaged from any useful position, unable to spot or cap while you do his total HP in a single torpedo strike on something bigger, actually engaging in the game.

Players
2,466 posts
1 hour ago, Cpt_RakkR said:

I do not think I have to explain much what the problem is....

As a DD, how I am supposed to counter aircrafts blowing my cover in the middle of an attack run and make me die miserably because everyone and their mother is going out of their way to sink me? This is frustrating.

Watch your mini map... the minute it looks like the CV is on his way change direction and yes if that means retreat then retreat..  AA off always even in smoke unless you have AA consorts supporting you and keep moving inside from edge to edge 1/4 forwards then reverse....

The only reason you're so easily detected IS because of your lack of positional awareness... You may not like that comment but it is fact.

As a DD main I do not fear the CV and there are ways to avoid the rockets, or the worst of the damage anyways... if you want to know pm me.

Mini map, mini map, mini map.... and be prepared to retreat... there are twenty minutes to every game and one retreat doesn't mean the game is lost.

• Cool 3