Sign in to follow this  
ThePurpleSmurf

I'm curious, do you enhance the ingame graphics to make the game look prettier?

18 comments in this topic

Question

Players
1,984 posts
12,575 battles

Do you use any 3rd party tools or certain GFX driver profiles/settings to make the game look prettier or don't you care about the ingame visuals that much? Got example screenshot?
I for instance use the calm sea mod from Aslains and also Nvidia Freestyle Filters to tweak the visuals ingame. To give you an impression how it looks like are here a few screenshots with and without Nvidia Freestyle applied: https://imgur.com/a/GL5K692

On the preview version it's not so obvious. Best download the screenshots and view them with an image viewer at original resolution and switch back and forth between the screenshots to see the difference more clear.

And just to make this clear: Nvidia Freestyle is part of the Nvidia Experience Software and GFX Drivers and 100% legal to use. There are even dedicated WG threads to confirm this from when there were concerns that it could be illegal, because WG banned the use of ReShade and other filter tools that hooked into the game process and worked similar to Freestyle.

Edited by ThePurpleSmurf
Added link to the WG thread that confirms that Freestyle is fine

17 answers to this question

[CATS]
Players
30,072 posts
15,430 battles
7 minutes ago, ThePurpleSmurf said:

... because WG banned the use of ReShade and other filter tools that hooked into the game process and worked similar to Freestyle.

That is why I stay away from them. Better safe than sorry.

Players
1,984 posts
12,575 battles
46 minutes ago, ColonelPete said:

That is why I stay away from them. Better safe than sorry.

Yeah understandable, but in case of Freestyle it's fine. I added a link above to the news announcement about it. Even it's WG, they won't ban an account for using Nvidia - i hope :Smile_smile:

Modder
5,268 posts
23,774 battles

For me functionality is on the first place, so the less effects, the better. Took me a lot of time to get rid off them. In single player games however I love visual effects.

So i have turned to off: shadows, reflections and dynamic ligthing. On top on that I am using my mod, which has constant weather on all maps and removes all sun light on sea surface.

mod:

744632626_modreflectionsoff.thumb.jpg.c4949a01d7e57011c55672529a070de7.jpg

standard game with most options on:

390284056_reflectionson.thumb.jpg.dadff2739bc1d10c9509fc4c0ae149ba.jpg

• Cool 2

[JRM]
[JRM]
Players
7,626 posts

IDK I dont see much of a difference between the filtered and not filtered images TBH, anyways I use the Calm Sea mode

[ADRIA]
Players
314 posts
10,685 battles
7 hours ago, ThePurpleSmurf said:

I for instance use the calm sea mod

Calm seas look terrible. That mod breaks all immersion - it looks like toy boats sailing in a bathtub or a pond.

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1

[LAFIE]
Beta Tester
5,756 posts
6,312 battles

Really not a fan of the calm sea mod. Anyone who's been to sea or even SEEN the sea should instantly know why, you just don't SEE water that calm on the ocean.

• Cool 1

[JRM]
[JRM]
Players
7,626 posts

I agree - you dont, however with standard waves you can hardly actually see any of that ray tracing your PC spends all those cycles calculating...

[NECRO]
Players
2,631 posts

Played a bit with the filters, and I guess I will try to play with these vintage settings later today... :Smile_honoring:

old.png

Edit: Ran a replay, and I REALLY like the historical look. :Smile_popcorn:

vin.png

• Cool 3

Beta Tester
1,037 posts
16,768 battles

Well, if the new ''spectacular'' ricochet animation shown in the patch video is the pinacle of WG visual department in 2020, then if someone wants to use 3rd party mods to costumise their game, i would not blame them.

personaly i dont use any, just playing on high graphics and its ok for me.

[LEEUW]
Players
2,951 posts
10,587 battles

I've always played the vanilla game and always will. Run the game on highest graphics and that's enough for me. 

Sometimes I see streamers who play with like a billion mods installed and it just makes me shiver. 

• Cool 1

Modder
5,268 posts
23,774 battles
15 minutes ago, GarrusBrutus said:

I've always played the vanilla game and always will. Run the game on highest graphics and that's enough for me. 

Sometimes I see streamers who play with like a billion mods installed and it just makes me shiver. 

You are right that is not looks good, but I have to admit that vanilla game for me is almost unplayable without a lot of customization. Small fonts, small very important signs, not visible colours becouse transparency etc. Now I am modding a font which informs about cap timer, becouse when i am capping i have no visible sign that enemy is in cap. My work is to look around, watching for approaching enemy radar ships and possible torps, but not to stare at tiny font. It should be a voice message: capping stopped !. And there is a dozens of such things, which improved give me much better results. This standard UI just sucks.

• Cool 2

[LEEUW]
Players
2,951 posts
10,587 battles
6 minutes ago, Odo_Toothless said:

You are right that is not looks good, but I have to admit that vanilla game for me is almost unplayable without a lot of customization. Small fonts, small very important signs, not visible colours becouse transparency etc. Now I am modding a font which informs about cap timer, becouse when i am capping i have no visible sign that enemy is in cap. My work is to look around, watching for approaching enemy radar ships and possible torps, but not to stare at tiny font. It should be a voice message: capping stopped !. And there is a dozens of such things, which improved give me much better results. This standard UI just sucks.

Yeah I can imagine that such add ons would improve your gaming experience. Over the years wargaming included a ton of mods into the standard game because everyone was using them. 

Truth be told: I'd be too lazy to install those mods after each update. :Smile_trollface:

Players
1,984 posts
12,575 battles
1 hour ago, GarrusBrutus said:

Yeah I can imagine that such add ons would improve your gaming experience. Over the years wargaming included a ton of mods into the standard game because everyone was using them. 

Truth be told: I'd be too lazy to install those mods after each update. :Smile_trollface:

It's a few clicks and only takes seconds, at least with Aslains, because it remembers the last installed mods. I have only tested the official WG Modpack once a while ago but as i understand it does it update mods automatically when you launch the modpack software, so it's even less work other than the initial mod selection at first install.

Depending how good or bad you aim, and considering the current desync situation, can it be very benefical to install something like the dynamic crosshair from the modpacks. As iChase had tested very thoroughly and published a video about it, do the vanilla crosshairs suck big time and are very inaccurate because not only are they calibrated at weird speeds but also only are accurate if the target is at a certain range. The modpack dynamic crosshairs scale much more precisely and also have calibrations for different speeds.
But then again, if you are experienced then you probably don't need a crosshair at all because most experienced players aim by intuition and hit reliably targets. 

• Cool 1

[_OC_]
Players
91 posts
1,301 battles

I can't stand that calm seas mod. It looks dreadful, where in the world would you find a sea that calm? A poster above echoed my thoughts exactly when I first saw it, in that it looks like model boats sailing on a pond.

I remember hearing streamers saying it was a great mod because it took load off the computer to allow for more power to be diverted to rendering the ships etc, but honestly I can't see a difference. Any improvement would be completely negated by the bizarre and unnatural effect you have from the calm seas mod.

• Cool 1

Players
1,984 posts
12,575 battles
51 minutes ago, Mastodon2 said:

I can't stand that calm seas mod. It looks dreadful, where in the world would you find a sea that calm? A poster above echoed my thoughts exactly when I first saw it, in that it looks like model boats sailing on a pond.

Yeah totally unrealistic ... oh wait, luckily we have Google Images and Youtube to prove you wrong … :Smile_hiding:

Spoiler

Sign in to follow this