You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
POIfection

Indianapolis - Warning

59 comments in this topic

[SITH-]
Players
182 posts
4,710 battles

I own 10 premium ships. I regret buying one. The Indianapolis. I bought it maybe 2 weeks ago.

IMO garbage boat. Might have put me off ever buying another premium.  If you like getting a citadel from any angle .. its the boat for you. FYI, 16mm fore and aft armour .. I thought it has the same as New Orleans and Helena at 25mm.

Joke as you see loads of T8 and T9 games .. not impressed WG.

** Yeah I should have researched .. but thought common sense it would be 25mm given current meta.

• Cool 2
  • Funny 6
  • Boring 1

[CATS]
Players
30,043 posts
15,430 battles

She is an average premium.

Nothing too bad. Her drawbacks are well compensated by the radar.

• Cool 1

[XTREM]
Players
2,056 posts
15,143 battles

I actually just wish her ROF was a bit better. That's all. 

I haven't played her in a while though. 

• Cool 1

Players
3,669 posts
14,325 battles

She’s a boat that needs a really good understanding of cruiser play. She’s not easy but worth it once you work it out.

• Cool 9

[SITH-]
Players
182 posts
4,710 battles

I think im just going to scuttle her mate. Im not an expert with cruisers but im not a novice either .. her survivability at T8/9 is gross.

Maybe its just a ship I'll never get along with.

[I-J-N]
Players
6,225 posts

Yes and no. I remember thinking the Indianapolis was more reliable than the Atlanta, as they are very different ships in terms of their performance. As such, it is a USN light cruiser so there isn't much to say about it in my book as I don't typically like that type, especially on higher tiers.

• Bad 1

[SM0KE]
Players
6,701 posts
15,193 battles

I'm not a good player, so I do find Sharkbait hard work; that said, the radar is very powerful at T7 (not just any radar either - 10 km!!) and a lot of the DDs you'll meet have no idea what to do about it either...

[OZYR]
[OZYR]
Players
719 posts
15,621 battles
5 hours ago, Verblonde said:

............that said, the radar is very powerful at T7 (not just any radar either - 10 km!!) and a lot of the DDs you'll meet have no idea what to do about it either...

Wait......WAT?!?  USN cruiser with  10 km radar?!? AT T7?!? WTF WeeGEee!?!?! 

• Funny 1

[ADRIA]
Players
314 posts
10,685 battles
6 hours ago, Karasu_Hidesuke said:

it is a USN light cruiser 

Check your facts, mate. Indi is a heavy cruiser.

• Cool 5

Players
2,791 posts
33,218 battles
8 hours ago, POIfection said:

I own 10 premium ships. I regret buying one. The Indianapolis. I bought it maybe 2 weeks ago.

IMO garbage boat. Might have put me off ever buying another premium.  If you like getting a citadel from any angle .. its the boat for you. FYI, 16mm fore and aft armour .. I thought it has the same as New Orleans and Helena at 25mm.

Joke as you see loads of T8 and T9 games .. not impressed WG.

** Yeah I should have researched .. but thought common sense it would be 25mm given current meta.

it is long range heavy cruiser with radar which is/was same as Pensacola (which, imo, are both very good boats) except with radar. This ship has a challenging play style. If you are looking for an easy or fun to play tier 7 premium cruiser, Atlanta, Nueve de Julio or Boise, Lazo would fill the spot. Then again, for some others these boats may be also challenging. Lazo is a long range shooter which provides it a safer but kind of boring playstyle, while both Nueve and Boise have heals. Atlanta is Atlanta.

Now, since you have bought Indianapolis and have to live with it, playing it with extreme care and more patience against tier 8s and 9s, looking for the right moments to shoot, choosing your targets and utilizing the radar on time could benefit you.  GL.

Players
2,791 posts
33,218 battles
11 minutes ago, Procrastes said:

Does the Indianapolis have those special, USN superheavy AP shells?

Yes. It is a heavy cruiser with 203mm guns and hard hitting AP  shells.

[LAFIE]
Beta Tester
5,753 posts
6,312 battles
24 minutes ago, Execute0rder66 said:

Yes. It is a heavy cruiser with 203mm guns and hard hitting AP  shells.

Does not however get the superheavy shells, you don't get those till the Baltimore (Wichita doesn't get them either btw)

• Cool 4

[SINT]
Players
1,066 posts
22,812 battles
8 hours ago, POIfection said:

I think im just going to scuttle her mate. Im not an expert with cruisers but im not a novice either .. her survivability at T8/9 is gross.

Maybe its just a ship I'll never get along with.

Well I hope with scuttle you don’t mean that you plan to sell it? With the KOTS collection  you will receive a free T7 premium. Would be sad if you receive Indi again.

• Funny 1

Players
2,791 posts
33,218 battles
24 minutes ago, lafeel said:

Does not however get the superheavy shells, you don't get those till the Baltimore (Wichita doesn't get them either btw)

It does not 4600 vs 5000, but its guns are hard hitting enough. Did you ever play with it or with Wichita?

[-TPF-]
Players
4,535 posts
18,823 battles
9 hours ago, POIfection said:

It should. If it was a standard cruiser + radar when it was released then it should be a standard cruiser now, with "game armour" (the plating decided by Tier, not by history) improved like it has been on all the other Tier VII US Cruisers. This is a throwback to the old days of Pensacola at Tier VII and it's not much fun. 

LittleWhiteMouse's review: https://forum.worldofwarships.com/topic/81514-premium-ship-review-uss-indianapolis/ - suggests it's effective bow in against other cruisers but that it a free citadel for BBs, so I suppose you have to play it accordingly. 

I know I have looked at this thing several times and thought "nope, too squishy". To be honest the US Premium cruisers below Tier VIII aren't really that great any more since the IFHE rework and if it was me, I'd be saving my money/resources for something better.

Players
128 posts
10,033 battles

I got my Indianapolis for free during an event (last year?) and I do agree that being in a tier8-9 game in her is not fun. On the other hand, it proves quite useful in tier 7 events like the Ranked season coming next week. Sure, the radar doesn't last that long and you don't have DPM to squeeze more than 2 salvos, but there are only a handful of radar cruisers at this tier. Against same tier cruisers her guns are quite powerful. 

I wouldn't sell it if I were you.

[JRM]
[JRM]
Players
7,618 posts
34 minutes ago, Execute0rder66 said:

It does not 4600 vs 5000, but its guns are hard hitting enough. Did you ever play with it or with Wichita?

Have both, they have "Amurican Piercing" shells with improved angles but SHS AP is Balti and above in silver line only (for cruisers) however the standard shells are faster the SHS and easier to hit with

Players
2,791 posts
33,218 battles
24 minutes ago, Yedwy said:

Have both, they have "Amurican Piercing" shells with improved angles but SHS AP is Balti and above in silver line only (for cruisers)

Yes. The only difference is 4600 vs 5000 shell dmg. 

24 minutes ago, Yedwy said:

however the standard shells are faster the SHS and easier to hit with

You mean heavy APs of Indiana and Wichita are much faster than Balti APs, that is right.

Also, these three ship have the same HE 34mm armor penetration.

Players
2,010 posts
14,252 battles

She's fine. Certainly not easy and there are probably more comfortable premium ships to play out there but the guns are very good.

indy.jpg

• Cool 2

Players
620 posts
20,761 battles

its an extrem armor weak ship.-  and..i agree, to sell this ship like premium , without good informations, is too much.  wargaming doesn't give a real info about this ship.

this is only for profies, not ship for newbies.... and this have to be written there, because its for money..

dont use it with radar. this makes you go closer and closer, and you are now dead.

when you want to use radar...you have to have 15,000 battles, then you will handle it.

Indianapolis have brutal AP, may it is only ship in game..you don't need to use HE :)

[AMOK]
Players
1,966 posts
8,723 battles
Vor 9 Stunden, POIfection sagte:

Im not an expert with cruisers but im not a novice either ..

Without evidence, it's just an untenable assertion.

Players
1,278 posts
9,963 battles

I played her a bit back when they gave her for free.

I never felt she was bad.This ship gives you two assets which alone would be good at T7: radar and US 8-inch AP. Together, they're a very powerful combo.

She's not easy to play. No low hanging fruit gameplay such as smoke, island camping or overwhelming HE DPM.

You need strong cruiser positioning, approach angles, and firing restraint. When to show yourself, and when you do, murder things with just a couple salvos.

IMO, a very interesting ship to play.

• Cool 3