You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Riggerby

Detonations. What is the point? Why does this still exist in 2020?.

41 comments in this topic

Beta Tester
306 posts
3,108 battles

I am beyond fed up of this mechanic. Its the ultimate middle finger from RNG. 

''Ohh hurr durr you can just use a flag hur dur'', How is this helpful? Look how you get the Juliet Charlie flag (-100% Detonation)
- As a consolidation prize for being bent over by the mechanic

- 6,400 coal!!!!!!!!!!!

- 2 Million... MILLION credits.

So i either need to be a victim of this crap mechanic, Spend one of the most precious resources ingame, or a whopping 2 million credits, All to prevent a mechanic which may or may not happen and is totally RNG.

NOONE ENJOYS THIS MECHANIC. IT OFFERS NOTHING OTHER THEN TOTAL PUNISHMENT FOR NO REASON AT ALL AND IS ECONOMICALLY PUNISHING TO PREVENT. THERE IS NO NEGATIVE IN ITS REMOVAL AND EVERYONE WILL ENJOY IT GONE. 

• Cool 5
  • Funny 1
  • Boring 5

[RONIN]
[RONIN]
Players
961 posts
6,743 battles

I think that is ok feature,i dont think that is ok to have a flag that prevents 100% detonation, a flag? and 100%?ah..

Remember

"That the sinking of Hood was due to a hit from Bismarck's 15-inch shell in or adjacent to Hood's 4-inch or 15-inch magazines, causing them all to explode and wreck the after part of the ship. The probability is that the 4-inch magazines exploded first."

• Funny 1

Beta Tester
306 posts
3,108 battles
11 minutes ago, Wulf_Ace said:

I think that is ok feature,i dont think that is ok to have a flag that prevents 100% detonation, a flag? and 100%?ah..

Remember

"That the sinking of Hood was due to a hit from Bismarck's 15-inch shell in or adjacent to Hood's 4-inch or 15-inch magazines, causing them all to explode and wreck the after part of the ship. The probability is that the 4-inch magazines exploded first."

This is a video game. Not real life. 100% Health destruction RNG mechanics are not fun, fair or balanced.

• Bad 1

[XTREM]
Players
2,314 posts
16,443 battles

It's not 100% RNG when you consider that it only happens when enough damage is dealt to one of the ships' magazine spaces and only occurs if said ship is below 70% HP.

I see it as a nod to actual magazine detonations. We all know the most famous example. 

I'm OK with that. 

• Cool 6

[SKRUB]
Players
631 posts
24,680 battles

It give a boost of adrealine for starter, but because it don't happen a lot, i am fine with it.

• Cool 1

[LEEUW]
Players
3,360 posts
11,222 battles
11 minutes ago, Miragetank90 said:

only occurs if said ship is below 70% HP

Yeah except when you're full hp and a salvo that should've dealt about 40% of your HP triggers the Detonation halfway through the salvo because YoU ToOk 30% dAmAgE. Yeah in the previous 0,00001 seconds. Thanks game.

@Riggerby I feel you. Wish it were removed. By apparently there are a lot of folks around here that seem to enjoy it. I know that most top clan players hate the mechanic because of the RNG involved.

Its a stupid mechanic.

Like having a player getting injured by RNG when he is one on one versus the keeper in FIFA. Realistic? Yeah. Fun? No.

Like having your rally car's engine break down by RNG right before the finish. Realistic? Yeah. Fun? No.

Like having you gun jam by RNG right as the terrorist comes around the corner in CS:GO. Realistic? Yeah. Fun? No.

Etc. Etc.

But somehow ship boys like RNG.

• Cool 6

[WGP2W]
Players
1,151 posts
11,805 battles

I detonated yesterday in one hour twice in a BB. First game i got one torpedo from a Neptune and i was hat 75% hp (he was completly red with 41% WR). 2 Games after that i got detonated in my Thunderer by one Öland torpedo (again he was at 45% WR).

Yes...fun and engaging mechanic

• Cool 1
  • Boring 1

Players
8,568 posts

I tell you when it really isn't fun, that's when your BB gets a torpedo hit direct to your magazine and its KA-BOOM! :Smile-angry:

• Cool 1

[RONIN]
[RONIN]
Players
961 posts
6,743 battles
3 minutes ago, Elypse201 said:

I detonated yesterday in one hour twice in a BB. First game i got one torpedo from a Neptune and i was hat 75% hp (he was completly red with 41% WR). 2 Games after that i got detonated in my Thunderer by one Öland torpedo (again he was at 45% WR).

Yes...fun and engaging mechanic

So you are allowed only to be killed by a good players?

• Funny 5

Players
8,568 posts
1 minute ago, Wulf_Ace said:

:Smile_unsure:

I for one hope that is not the case, because then I'd have a dismal service record in this game...

[WGP2W]
Players
1,151 posts
11,805 battles
2 minutes ago, Wulf_Ace said:

Yes that exactly what i wanted to deliver in this message /s
No, but in my experience it is suprising that mostly under average players get a detonation on better players.

[XTREM]
Players
2,314 posts
16,443 battles
27 minutes ago, GarrusBrutus said:

By apparently there are a lot of folks around here that seem to enjoy it. I know that most top clan players hate the mechanic because of the RNG involved.

lol No. I just get why they decided to put it in thematically speaking, and so I can actually accept it as something you see occasionally as part of random matches. 

It would be a different matter if you couldn't take Juliet Charlie into competitive, and so have to suffer it's effects there. Since you can, Imo it's a non-issue. 

• Cool 2

[LEEUW]
Players
3,360 posts
11,222 battles
24 minutes ago, Miragetank90 said:

lol No. I just get why they decided to put it in thematically speaking, and so I can actually accept it as something you see occasionally as part of random matches. 

It would be a different matter if you couldn't take Juliet Charlie into competitive, and so have to suffer it's effects there. Since you can, Imo it's a non-issue.

Cant you see how bizarre it is to have to mount flags in order to prevent something catastrophic to your ship that might or might not happen.

Especially for competetive but to a certain extend for randoms. I don't want to detonate when I am about to get a kraken or when I stacked my ship with all my fancy flags and camos.

"Just equip flags." -> What if youre out? "just buy them" -> But im grinding so im short on credits all the time and cant waste them on det flags all the time. "Then use coal." -> So im supposed to use one of the rarest commodities in the game to buy a flag that prevents an event that occurs random from time to time? right. That is just bonkers imo.

If you want such a mechanic in the game for "thematical" reasons, just put them in operations or april fool events.

Other than that its just unnecessary and cause of frustration.

• Cool 2

[SM0KE]
Players
7,963 posts
16,829 battles

I'm afraid I'm in the "doesn't bother me" camp; I like the minor nod to historical accuracy (hah!), and it's pretty rare so it rarely gets a chance to be irritating.

FWIW, I'm a DD main, and currently have 49 Detonation awards from 4,309 random battles; that's only 1.1% - not going to lose much sleep there.

That said, I'm a very long way from being a good player...

[ENUF]
[ENUF]
Players
2,470 posts
23,343 battles

What if I tell you there is a way to never detonate while handing out detonations to your enemies for free?

Spoiler

Become a CV main. :Smile_glasses:

• Funny 4

[SWAMP]
Players
438 posts
10,473 battles
4 hours ago, Riggerby said:

I am beyond fed up of this mechanic. Its the ultimate middle finger from RNG. 

''Ohh hurr durr you can just use a flag hur dur'', How is this helpful? Look how you get the Juliet Charlie flag (-100% Detonation)
- As a consolidation prize for being bent over by the mechanic

- 6,400 coal!!!!!!!!!!!

- 2 Million... MILLION credits.

So i either need to be a victim of this crap mechanic, Spend one of the most precious resources ingame, or a whopping 2 million credits, All to prevent a mechanic which may or may not happen and is totally RNG.

NOONE ENJOYS THIS MECHANIC. IT OFFERS NOTHING OTHER THEN TOTAL PUNISHMENT FOR NO REASON AT ALL AND IS ECONOMICALLY PUNISHING TO PREVENT. THERE IS NO NEGATIVE IN ITS REMOVAL AND EVERYONE WILL ENJOY IT GONE. 

I enjoy, it's really funny. :cap_haloween:

• Cool 1

Beta Tester
210 posts
13,224 battles
41 minutes ago, Gloatover said:
4 hours ago, Riggerby said:

I enjoy, it's really funny. :cap_haloween:

Nothing is more satisfying than a randomly detonated enemy. It's hilarious. If it happens to me, it's  a dangit, well crap, let's carry on moment.

I mostly never use the flag in random, always in competitive, it's totally a non issue for competitive players don't make it one. Also we wait eagerly for the moment someone forgets it and detonates because the months of ridicule ahead 😆 

• Cool 2

[SM0KE]
Players
7,963 posts
16,829 battles
1 hour ago, _Kettenbeisser said:

If it happens to me, it's  a dangit, well crap, let's carry on moment.

This summarises exactly my reaction when I got detonated earlier (for the first time in ages)...

(I may well have used slightly different wording - I recall that 'bugger'* featured - but the sentiment was the same)

*naturally, I took my reference from the flyfishing world - I'm wholesome like that.

[-OOF-]
Beta Tester
613 posts
8,538 battles
7 hours ago, GarrusBrutus said:

Yeah except when you're full hp and a salvo that should've dealt about 40% of your HP triggers the Detonation halfway through the salvo because YoU ToOk 30% dAmAgE. Yeah in the previous 0,00001 seconds. Thanks game.

Very fun mechanic when Implacable rocket strikes come in 2 waves per attack.

Detonated an Öland this way a few days ago, it was the first enemy encounter in the whole game. Really makes you think.

[LUZ1]
Players
2,242 posts
16,284 battles

I used to buy Juliet Charly for coal with discount, but have stopped. I just used it for DDs because other ships very rarely detonate. Now I just use J Ch for games where I need top performance (ranked, special assignments) and suffer a detonation once in a while to replenish my signals. No big deal, really.

Players
8,092 posts
245 battles

Its funny when a piece of cloth is what prevents a detonation in the first place.

I can imagine the captain throwing in the magazine room and then minutes later the magazine room gets shot to pieces but because miss flag is there the shells dont blow up.

Subs will be a gud meme as well. Maybe even russian CV's.

[ONE2]
Players
3,151 posts
26,880 battles

Point? :cap_hmm: Perhaps this:

In any case this never bothered me much and I have 154 Detonations under my belt to prove it. :fish_boom:

• Cool 5