You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Eiledon

How do you use your captains when resetting a line?

22 comments in this topic

[1OFF1]
Players
10 posts
5,424 battles

Hi,

I'm thinking of resetting the KMS CA line but dont know what I shall do with the captain. Shall I put my lvl 19 cap on the tier 5 and then work it up or should I pick a lvl 10 and work that one up.

Using the lvl 19 has its pros that you have all ability's but you lose a lot of XP when moving to next ship.

I have the following captains atm. Nurnberg- lvl 5, Yorck - lvl 6, Hipper lvl 10, Roon lvl 19, Hindy lvl 19 (Frans von Jutland)

I have a lvl 10 and some lvl 6 and 3 in reserve.

I dont have Lutjens atm because i think he is too expensive. I have enough coal but rather go for Georgia or something that comes up later.

I think the best option is to use the lvl 10 but am wondering how others do this.

o7

Players
15 posts
6,542 battles

From what I've seen, use whatever elite xp you have after spending 200k on half retraining. Failing that use premium ships to retrain any captains you have. 

[CATS]
Players
30,129 posts
15,452 battles

I would use the 10 point captain for the ships without a captain.

Good compromise between captain points and cost of retraining.

• Cool 2

Players
433 posts
6,586 battles

I use resets to train a new captain (10 pts.) with either an alternative build ore to put him on the t9 or just to have one in reserv with 15+ points. 

Players
433 posts
6,586 battles
Vor 12 Minuten, Mastodon2 sagte:

Losing XP on retraining? Can 19 point captains lose points? 

He probably means elite commander/free xp. the cost of moving a 19pt captain from ship to ship is quite high.

• Cool 1

[LUZ1]
Players
1,236 posts
14,091 battles

I use a 10 point Captain in order not to spend too much commander XP when assigning them to new ships.

[NEXT]
Players
5,861 posts
11,963 battles
13 minutes ago, Mastodon2 said:

Losing XP on retraining? Can 19 point captains lose points? 

When a captain is level 19, you still can collect exp, but those are called Elite-Captain-Exp. This is a bit like Free Exp and you can use it to reset a captains skill points or you can use it on other captains to level those. I recommend to save those Elite-Exp for reseting captain skills in case you want specialize them different.

2 minutes ago, firerider202 said:

He probably means commander/free xp. the cost of moving a 19pt captain from ship to ship is quite high.

Or Elite-captain Exp, which he could spend to accelerate the training for the ship.

But the Captain can't lose exp itself ;)

• Cool 1

[NEXT]
Players
5,861 posts
11,963 battles
52 minutes ago, Eiledon said:

Hi,

I'm thinking of resetting the KMS CA line but dont know what I shall do with the captain. Shall I put my lvl 19 cap on the tier 5 and then work it up or should I pick a lvl 10 and work that one up.

Using the lvl 19 has its pros that you have all ability's but you lose a lot of XP when moving to next ship.

I have the following captains atm. Nurnberg- lvl 5, Yorck - lvl 6, Hipper lvl 10, Roon lvl 19, Hindy lvl 19 (Frans von Jutland)

I dont have Lutjens atm because i think he is too expensive. I have enough coal but rather go for Georgia or something that comes up later.

I think the best option is to use the lvl 10 but am wondering how others do this.

o7

I didn't used level 19 captains for low-tier or mid-tier. I kept the high level captains on all the former ships. I also didn't really cared about the captains, if they were trained or not, I used my Camos and signals and grinded pretty fast through ^^

[SM0KE]
Players
6,712 posts
15,214 battles

FWIW I kept each captain (minimum 10 points) on everything from T5 and up (free xp until then) assigned to their respective ships; I've done several resets now, but always to the same line (IJN torp boats), so maximising the number of points each captain ends up with.

I'm now at the stage where I have an actively good captain on T6 and up (I think that at least three of them are now 19 pointers), making future resets less painful on the captain front...

I should say that I tend to keep all ships in port, from around T5 and up (basically, anything that gets a snowflake), so having lots of captains around isn't as wasteful as it might be otherwise.

• Cool 3

Modder
5,272 posts
23,865 battles
1 hour ago, Eiledon said:

I'm thinking of resetting the KMS CA line but dont know what I shall do with the captain.

My strategy is to reset always the same, most liked line in which I will have all V-X ships with captains.

ps. I was second with the same idea ;-)

• Cool 3

[1OFF1]
Players
10 posts
5,424 battles
3 minutes ago, Verblonde said:

FWIW I kept each captain (minimum 10 points) on everything from T5 and up (free xp until then) assigned to their respective ships; I've done several resets now, but always to the same line (IJN torp boats), so maximising the number of points each captain ends up with.

I'm now at the stage where I have an actively good captain on T6 and up (I think that at least three of them are now 19 pointers), making future resets less painful on the captain front...

I should say that I tend to keep all ships in port, from around T5 and up (basically, anything that gets a snowflake), so having lots of captains around isn't as wasteful as it might be otherwise.

I also still have all the ships so i will be doing what you did. Reset, Lvl up and leave them on the ships for other resets.

@Everyone, many thanks for the response. I now know what to do. 

• Cool 2

[SM0KE]
Players
6,712 posts
15,214 battles
4 minutes ago, Eiledon said:

I also still have all the ships so i will be doing what you did.

It gets easier with each subsequent reset too (obviously) as each 19 pointer you do get speeds up the acquisition of the next one, and so on...

[BONUS]
[BONUS]
Beta Tester
3,097 posts
11,677 battles

It was always my intention to have all the RN ships in my port so I bought a  lot of  "British" Dasha Perova commanders when they were available. Because I reset the Royal Navy  DD line for the research Bureau currency I have 10 pointers at least available for each ship. Tier VII  and up have 19 pointers.

[THESO]
Players
1,509 posts
18,114 battles
2 hours ago, Eiledon said:

Hi,

o7

I have dedicated lines for resets. Retraining captains is a huge dump of CXP. To avoid that, the goal should be to have a captain for each ship from T5 on.

The captains on your T8-10 ships are okay, though in the long run T8 should have a 13 pt captain for a second 3pt skill, e.g. DE to counter the poor fire chance.

You should use the 10pt commander from the reserve on the Yorck.

Lütjens is heavily overpriced, but If you can spend doubloons, you might get the second Jütland-captain to use on the Hipper and take the one from the Hipper on the Yorck instead, while then having an extra 10 pt commander for the Nürnberg.

I find that many players have at least a 10 pt commander on T6 and T7, while having 12-14pt commanders on T8.

None of that is an absolute must, but you will find that even on T5 the missing CE hurts your ability to disengage.

• Cool 1

Players
6,245 posts

I have some captains already trained for several such ships, so I just reassign them back to their ships. If I got no captain, I would typically recruit a new one.

[ONE2]
Players
3,144 posts
24,099 battles

Well, I have a dedicated Commander for every ship, who does not change for any reason (this allows me to best optimize their skills for each individual ship). So whomever Commanded Nurnberg before I reset the line will still Command it after the reset as well. Problem solved, same with all other ship lines. Of course, all of my DD and Cruiser caps are already at 19 points, so there's really no need to move them around either, but even if they weren't I would not bother wasting Elite XP to retrain the same Commander over and over again to use in different ships (that never made any sense to me TBH) but rather use that Elite XP to upgrade the already assigned ship Commander(s) to improve their skills. I always found that in the long term this approach yields the best end result (highest number of 19 point commanders). But each to his own. of course. This is just what I do. :cap_old:

• Cool 1

[JRM]
[JRM]
Players
7,639 posts

When I reset the line I usually freexp up till and including T6 which I then buy then grind and buy ships upwards and those ships usually have 13+ pt in them and many 19pt as well as permaflages

Players
4,355 posts
5,687 battles

What is the point of this reseting the line feature? Do you lose ships from that line if you reset?
I never tryed and probably never will.

[BATES]
Players
1,014 posts
13,215 battles
1 hour ago, Hades_warrior said:

What is the point of this reseting the line feature? Do you lose ships from that line if you reset?
I never tryed and probably never will.

All the ships are sold, captains sent to reserve and modules unmounted without costs. You start again that line from T1, regrinding all the ships to t10. At the end you will have research points to exchange on armory for ships or other goods.

Players
4,355 posts
5,687 battles
59 minutes ago, Aetius85 said:

All the ships are sold, captains sent to reserve and modules unmounted without costs. You start again that line from T1, regrinding all the ships to t10. At the end you will have research points to exchange on armory for ships or other goods.

I thought so. This i something i will never use.

[BATES]
Players
1,014 posts
13,215 battles
34 minutes ago, Hades_warrior said:

I thought so. This i something i will never use.

Generally everyone is free to not use it (if you don't want the ships available only for research points), the only issue is the legendary modules which are no more available with missions but only through Research Bureau.