You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Cpt_RakkR

Why is it even possible to assign a captain to a prem ship? how stupid is that?

30 comments in this topic

[WOP]
Players
44 posts
1,494 battles

Well.. I can only assume this to be one of wargamings money making scheme?

or is it a bug? no..

• Funny 5
  • Boring 2
  • Bad 2

[XTREM]
Players
3,634 posts
10,810 battles
3 minutes ago, Cpt_RakkR said:

or is it a bug? no..

It has been this way forever. 

Premium ships are Premium for that reason. They help you do training on your commanders. 

• Cool 4

6,031 posts
10,428 battles

Because the underlying mechanics with regards to "assigning a commander to..." are the same for a premium and a regular ship?

• Funny 1

Players
1,494 posts
11,192 battles
3 minutes ago, Yoshanai said:

It has been this way forever. 

Premium ships are Premium for that reason. They help you do training on your commanders. 

I think he means this the other way around. He probably obtained a premium ship and want to use the commander on a tech-tree ship and this doesn't work without retraining. But this is just a guess, because his profile shows that he has no premium ships - at least never played one yet.

[WOP]
Players
44 posts
1,494 battles

Like this:

I bought a prem and a commander for it.

Accidentally I assigned the commander to the prem. Which should not be possible at all.

Now I have to stupidly retrain the captn for a techtree ship... why make this possible? Why not at least a warning?

[SO_LO]
Players
22 posts
383 battles

Ah, so it is your own fault.

Last time I purchased a tech tree ship and I purchased a slot for doubloons by accident because I didn't look and should have sold a useless ship first.

But support fixed it after sending a ticket.

• Cool 1

[CATS]
Players
26,078 posts
14,090 battles
25 minutes ago, Cpt_RakkR said:

or is it a bug? no..

Otherwise you could not play the ship?

[ANV]
Players
549 posts
4,693 battles

I see the OPs point; I did the same before I realised how it worked 

[GURKA]
Players
5,192 posts
10,409 battles
19 minutes ago, Cpt_RakkR said:

Accidentally I assigned the commander to the prem.

You Commander should be still attached to the silver ship - which premium ship was it?

[THESO]
[THESO]
Players
2,549 posts
23,692 battles

huh? afaik the only way to have a commander trained for a prem is to have him on there on buy (aKa: commander comes with the ship). i tried to "train" a commander for a prem he was not on on buy and could not do it ^^.... so, unless theres some magic trick i'm not aware of that makes it possible, it's simply not possible to tie a commander to a prem if it not came with the ship afaik^^....

• Cool 3

[XTREM]
Players
3,634 posts
10,810 battles
1 minute ago, MrWastee said:

huh? afaik the only way to have a commander trained for a prem is to have him on there on buy (aKa: commander comes with the ship). i tried to "train" a commander for a prem he was not on on buy and could not do it ^^.... so, unless theres some magic trick i'm not aware of that makes it possible, it's simply not possible to tie a commander to a prem if it not came with the ship afaik^^....

If you buy a commander for doubloons in the armory it will be specialized for a silver ship. Usually the t1 of the nation. 

You can put this one on a premium but still need to retrain him for different silver ships. 

Same for special commanders like for example Azur lane Commander. Those aren't tied to any ship. If you put them first on a premium ship then they will. Be specialized for it and retraining for a silver will be required. 

• Cool 1

[SM0KE]
Players
5,416 posts
13,297 battles
27 minutes ago, Cpt_RakkR said:

I bought a prem and a commander for it.

If they came together in one package, the commander should be assigned to the premium by default (commanders bought on their own are usually - but not always - assigned to the T1 silver ship for the relevant nation); you then have to pay (doubloons or the relevant xp) to retrain them for a silver ship...

[THESO]
[THESO]
Players
2,549 posts
23,692 battles
6 minutes ago, Yoshanai said:

If you buy a commander for doubloons in the armory it will be specialized for a silver ship. Usually the t1 of the nation. 

You can put this one on a premium but still need to retrain him for different silver ships. 

sounds about right and ok to me.

this means it actually is like with any other silver right? so, i could make full use of any skills on any prem, while would have to reatrain for any other silver i want him on (as trained for a silver, t1, already).

Same for special commanders like for example Azur lane Commander. Those aren't tied to any ship. If you put them first on a premium ship then they will. Be specialized for it and retraining for a silver will be required. 

this is something i did not know lol ^^..... doesnt makes sense either imo, as in that case it rather should stay not trained for any ship in the logic of captns and prems^^

[GRK3N]
[GRK3N]
Players
1,171 posts
6,284 battles

Either way you dont really need to spend any credits on retraining since you can just retrain it for free on the techtree and move it back to the premium and play the premium until hes fully retrained.

• Cool 4

[IRQ]
Players
2,930 posts
7,510 battles
29 minutes ago, Floofz said:

Either way you dont really need to spend any credits on retraining since you can just retrain it for free on the techtree and move it back to the premium and play the premium until hes fully retrained.

This is one thing I, and many other people, used to retrain captains to various silver ships. Just assign them to the silver ship you want, and train them on any premium you want of the same nation or arbitrarily designated collection of countries.

Nowdays I just use elite commander xp.

• Cool 1

[MUMMY]
Beta Tester
243 posts
4,088 battles

I have specialized captains on multiple premium ships.

GZ has no other comparable ship yet

Massa for secondary build, other USN BB captain is built for survivability

Atago with non-IFHE build, only compatible with Zao that I dont have yet and Myoko that I dont play

• Cool 2

Players
6,756 posts
245 battles

I did this when i played world of tanks way back, i had no clue how commanders and crew members worked so derped some of them onto the fat chonky prems i had (weeeee, miss churchill III).

• Cool 1

Players
8,061 posts
8,905 battles
2 hours ago, Yoshanai said:

Latest AL commanders were actually trained for their ingame counterpart. At least the bundle ones. Similarly, Haifuri bundle captains were either trained for HSF Harekaze, HSF Graf Spee or Musashi.

e.g.

Spoiler

shot-20_05.09_21_53.31-0683.thumb.jpg.150684f55ee834af32147a14829dffa2.jpg

Spare Belfast from a bundle that I have not yet assigned, but is trained for Belfast, a ship I don't own.

[H_FAN]
Players
2,563 posts
40,705 battles
2 hours ago, Nov_A said:

I have specialized captains on multiple premium ships.

GZ has no other comparable ship yet

Massa for secondary build, other USN BB captain is built for survivability

Atago with non-IFHE build, only compatible with Zao that I dont have yet and Myoko that I dont play

Yes there are a few examples, I agree on that , but I prefer to have them assigned to a silver anyway. If you have a 19 p for Massa you can have that captain placed on Wyoming f.e. as a silver ship. Ofc if there is only Premiums in a line there is nothing else to do btw like Nuevo D Julio or European line before the Swedish DDs.

[WOP]
Players
44 posts
1,494 battles

1. Sorry for my tone.. I was a bit pi$$ed about the matter.

Thanks for all your valuable input... to conclude:

It really is possible to assign - in my case - a german 10pt  captn (Jütland) to a prem (T-61), bcause he is not assigned to any ship initially. 

Now my point still seems valid: >> This makes no sense at all.

If you see any reason, why a n y o n e should want a to assign a captn to a prem, please tell me. I cannot see one.

Is it not the very definition of a Prem to not have a designated captn? Please tell me if I am wrong. 

2. Then there is an additional question of something that makes no sense in regard to my new prem:

In the general description (modules tab) it says that it is a speciality of prem ships, namely, that one can convert its ship XP into free XP. Why, yes? But you can do that with every ship in the techtree? So, what is so special about that?

Sorry if these are noob questions. I am new at WOWS (played tanks a lot though). 

• Cool 1

Players
165 posts
1,947 battles

Advanced issues found

👔

2. Then there is an additional question of something that makes no sense in regard to my new prem:

In the general description (modules tab) it says that it is a speciality of prem ships, namely, that one can convert its ship XP into free XP. Why, yes? But you can do that with every ship in the techtree? So, what is so special about that?

The difference lies in the fact that in order for a tech tree ship to able to convert its ship XP into free XP, it must first research all of its modules. Premiums, on the other hand, can just start converting from the get-go. 

I'm not so sure if there's a hidden modifier for premium ships to earn more XP like there is for earning credits. Maybe someone can shed some light on this. 

Players
1,494 posts
11,192 battles
9 hours ago, Cpt_RakkR said:

If you see any reason, why a n y o n e should want a to assign a captn to a prem, please tell me. I cannot see one.

For literally years the Błyskawica was the only Polish DD in the game before it was merged into the Pan-EU branch. How would you play this ship if you can't assign a commander to it? There wasn't a tech-tree ship availabe from where the Blys could get a commander from.
How exactly do you think can the Graf Zeppelin be played if you can't assign a commander to it directly? It's the only German CV in the game. Would you use a BB or Cruiser or DD commander on it as substitude, because the assigned skills make so much sense on a CV?
What about the Italian DD Leone? There are no other Italian DDs to use a commander from. Now what, use a Cruiser commander with completely different skills?
What if you want to have more than one dedicated commander for a premium, because you want to play different styles?

There are TONS of reasons why it should be possible to assign commanders directly to a premium. You screwed up and made a mistake, deal with it. We all made mistakes when we were new to the game because we did not know it better but not everyone of us was crying about it for an entire weekend and still refuse to get the point.

:Smile_honoring:

• Cool 1

[WOP]
Players
44 posts
1,494 battles

So, while there might be one tiny reason (the existence of a german CV), this reason is a fairly exotic and irrelevant one.

Fact is, WG could easily prevent such mistakes from happening but, hey!, why should they do this, mistakes pay well for them :)

• Bad 1
  • Angry 1

[PUPSI]
Privateer
10,803 posts

So, while there might be one tiny reason (the existence of a german CV), this reason is a fairly exotic and irrelevant one.

- Blysca before EU tree was released

- Lo Yang/Anshan before Pan Asian tree was released

- Italian premium ships before Italian cruiser tree was released

- Nueve de Julio

- Perth, Haida, Vampire

6 minutes ago, Cpt_RakkR said:

Fact is, WG a player could easily prevent such mistakes from happening but, hey!, why should they do this, mistakes pay well for them :) one use his own brain doing something...

fixed that for you

• Cool 1

[PN4VY]
Players
358 posts
6,877 battles

Lets say you got a russian premium ship with a 10pt commander.
That premium ship will accept any commander of the same nation without retraining.
So you could have kirov, budgyony and schoors all with 3 different commanders.
You can move these 3 commanders to the premium ship without retrain, do a couple of matches and then move them back without retrain.

BUT IF the commander is trained for the premium and you want to move him to a silver ship, then you have to retrain him.
But after than you can move him back to the premium at any point without any cost.

Premiums are used mostly as money makers and captain trainers so i think your view on the subject is a bit wrong.

• Cool 1