Server Maintenance - January 18, 6:00 CET (5:00 UTC) Read more... ×
Server Maintenance - January 18, 6:00 CET (5:00 UTC) Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Aerroon

World of Battleships

95 comments in this topic

[PRAVD]
Community Contributor
1,827 posts
7,099 battles

1 CV, 1 DD, 2 CA, 20 BB.

Historically accurate number of ships.

WorldOfBattleships.jpg

If anybody wants to see a replay of how to deal 400k dmg in an Essex in a game where you should hard counter almost every single enemy ship then here it is:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/89115692/wows/cvs/Essex400kdmgDraw.wowsreplay

Result: DRAW.

Reason? My battleships sucked.

My performance:

shot-15.05.16_21.38.09-0127.jpg

Remember, this is against ships that are multiple tiers lower and I should hard counter. You really can't get a better situation like this. This would be like taking an Amagi into a game where enemies are all Omahas, Pensacolas and New Orleans.

EDIT: It happened again. Details are on the second page but here's the image (1 CV, 1 DD, 3 CA, 19 BB):

WorldOfBattleships2.jpg

Edited by Aerroon
  • Cool 1

Beta Tester
332 posts
214 battles

Yep that doesn't surprise me at all. Very fun this post patch meta game. I've always dreamed of being a glorified scout with torpedoes ._.

[FIFO]
Beta Tester
412 posts
815 battles

most people gravitate towards the easy classes, so a lot of BB's should not be uncommon, even with the current increase in HE viability..cruisers and DD's still die incredibly fast.

400K damage is astounding....so I don't really see the problem....

[-MM]
Beta Tester
1,182 posts
1,430 battles

BBs have by the most health (if you count repair ability they essentially have close to 2.5 times the HP of CAs), the biggest guns, the most armour, their AA is decent and now they turn stupidly well too.

If WG want diverse teams they need to ensure that all classes are competitive against every class including BBs. 

• Cool 4

Alpha Tester
2,271 posts
1,040 battles

You enter CV's paradise and write that you want to quit the game?! :trollface:

• Cool 2

Beta Tester
71 posts
90 battles

bb's the easiest/most popular class? LOL. Truth be told the cruiser is the reigning "average" ship.good dmg, but not bb level dmg. good reload, but not dd level reload. decent turn, torps, scout plane....and AA

• Cool 2

Alpha Tester
2,271 posts
1,040 battles

You didn't got the memo? US CVs only counter IJN CVs.

Essex is exception as you can have 2 TBs and 3 now buffed DBs. Also his TBs now don't die like flies as it was in the last patch. 

So Essex is currently the best CV in both air superiority and anti-ship strikes (until we get Taiho and Hakuryu International Airport).

• Cool 1

Alpha Tester
797 posts

Essex is exception as you can have 2 TBs and 3 now buffed DBs.

Oh, I though they removed all the these setups form US CVs.

Is not like IJN CVs counter BBs anyways.

Alpha Tester
2,299 posts
1,085 battles

Oh, I though they removed all the these setups form US CVs.

Is not like IJN CVs counter BBs anyways.

I think the issue with IJN line is that it requires a lot of practice and knowledge to be effective. Looking at my stats and stats people from forum that I know played CVs, experienced players have no problems with IJN.  People who were struggling with old US CVs are on the other hand completly lost when commanding japanese ships.
Edited by Ishiro32

[FIFO]
Beta Tester
412 posts
815 battles

bb's the easiest/most popular class? LOL. Truth be told the cruiser is the reigning "average" ship.good dmg, but not bb level dmg. good reload, but not dd level reload. decent turn, torps, scout plane....and AA

on average it seems that most people are most successful in their BB's (most damage and kills) and hence tend to stay in them.

While I love the CA's flexibility, it comes at the downside of being fragile and not fast enough to avoid. and while the DD is fast and stealth with loads of avoiding potential..its weak health and high reliance on torpedo's makes it a rather hit-and-miss class. CV's are a special case...they are limited in the matchmaker and play a separate very micromanagement intensive minigame that does not guarantee a good outcome..even if it where popular..it would never flood the game, only choke the MM.

don't underestimate the AA BB's carry, most are far from defenseless...their main weakness against planes is their relatively sluggish maneuverability.

[PRAVD]
Community Contributor
1,827 posts
7,099 battles

on average it seems that most people are most successful in their BB's (most damage and kills) and hence tend to stay in them.

While I love the CA's flexibility, it comes at the downside of being fragile and not fast enough to avoid. and while the DD is fast and stealth with loads of avoiding potential..its weak health and high reliance on torpedo's makes it a rather hit-and-miss class. CV's are a special case...they are limited in the matchmaker and play a separate very micromanagement intensive minigame that does not guarantee a good outcome..even if it where popular..it would never flood the game, only choke the MM.

don't underestimate the AA BB's carry, most are far from defenseless...their main weakness against planes is their relatively sluggish maneuverability.

I had a North Carolina shoot down an entire torpedo squadron during a drop. I think 1 torpedo hit the water.

You enter CV's paradise and write that you want to quit the game?! :trollface:

Yes, because these games are rare. Half the time you still get like an AA Ranger on the enemy team. Not to mention I do play other ship classes too.

I think the issue with IJN line is that it requires a lot of practice and knowledge to be effective. Looking at my stats and stats people from forum that I know played CVs, experienced players have no problems with IJN.  People who were struggling with old US CVs are on the other hand completly lost when commanding japanese ships.

I think the reason why you see experienced players seem fine in CVs is that currently most games are full of easy targets. Relatively new players in slow ships with little AA. The number of Wyomings I saw in my Hiryuu was not 0. Even an unupgraded New Mexico has no AA. So on top of those you can do whatever maneuvers you want because they won't shoot down your planes at all. But once people get better at BBs I'm quite certain you'll start seeing CVs being less and less useful because AA is still as strong as it used to be.

Edited by Aerroon

Beta Tester
3 posts
1,119 battles

Hello! I would like to have tiers that works so if you have a tier 5 boat so we should just Tiera up to 6 down to 4 and so on 6 7-5 7 8-6 8 9-7 9 10-8 :)

[HF_30]
Beta Tester
193 posts
4,207 battles

I think AA on all none Cruisers and Carriers could use a nerf or planes need a HP buff and then buff fighter damage to counter the added HP.

That way Carriers would again be worth using to counter BB's some thing is starting to become a problem now that players are unlocking the higher end US BB's with the arse load of AA and destroyer turn speed.

Hell i fear when my Carrier will come across a battle like that but with NC/Iowa/Hana be lucky if 1 torp hits the water before the squads are killed more so since JP planes have lower hp and smaller squads.

Edited by Darzok

Alpha Tester
2,271 posts
1,040 battles

their main weakness against planes is WAS their relatively sluggish maneuverability.

corrected for the new reality :)

Yes, because these games are rare. Half the time you still get like an AA Ranger on the enemy team. Not to mention I do play other ship classes too.

Tell be about it, from the 31 games I made in CVs since 0.3.1 I was alone only in 4 of them and in all 4 there were enough cruisers to always have at least 1 with their nasty skill near every single BB.

And everytime when I entered World of Battleships game I was alone as CV vs  lexingtons, sometimes 2 (2 fighters each) and once even vs Essex ... with 3 fighters. Best games I had in CVs so far in WoWs. 

• Cool 1

Alpha Tester
2,299 posts
1,085 battles

I think the reason why you see experienced players seem fine in CVs is that currently most games are full of easy targets. Relatively new players in slow ships with little AA. The number of Wyomings I saw in my Hiryuu was not 0. Even an unupgraded New Mexico has no AA. So on top of those you can do whatever maneuvers you want because they won't shoot down your planes at all. But once people get better at BBs I'm quite certain you'll start seeing CVs being less and less useful because AA is still as strong as it used to be.

What I know is that there are almost no CA to screen whatever I want to do. CV skippers have a lot of space (If there is no enemy CV focused on air superiority) and I think that is enough to get 400k damage in one match.

I think AA on all none Cruisers and Carriers could use a nerf or planes need a HP buff and then buff fighter damage to counter the added HP.

Carriers should have the best AA in the game.

[SPUDS]
Beta Tester
4,045 posts
7,544 battles

I had a North Carolina shoot down an entire torpedo squadron during a drop. I think 1 torpedo hit the water.

I'll just go and find that video an American posted where an Iowa kills two TB squadrons on approach. 3 torps were dropped in total. Granted they were IJN TBs, but still.

Cruisers for AA? Pah.

Edited by Unintentional_submarine

[PRAVD]
Community Contributor
1,827 posts
7,099 battles

Usually CAs do protect the BBs but I think that often it's pointless. The BB can take care of themselves and the CA could be elsewhere actually contributing or soaking up damage.

Also, did they make torpedoes faster? I heard from some streamer that they did, but I could still race airdropped torpedoes in my Baltimore so I don't feel like they did. I do know that I tend to have an easier time actually hitting CAs with torpedoes. But it could just be luck.

Oh yeah, if anyone's interested then here's the end screens of that match too:

shot-15.05.16_21.38.00-0124.jpgshot-15.05.16_21.38.05-0792.jpg

I'll just go and find that video an American posted where an Iowa kills two TB squadrons on approach. 3 torps were dropped in total. Granted they were IJN TBs, but still.

Cruisers for AA? Pah.

That's crazy. I hope he had lucky RNG and that isn't actually the norm.

Edited by Aerroon

[SPUDS]
Beta Tester
4,045 posts
7,544 battles

Take note at how fast the first squadron drops... It's quite fast. The second take a few seconds longer. Presumably the first squadron had been weakened a bit by long range AA.

Alpha Tester
2,299 posts
1,085 battles

That video Unintentional_submarine posted is just silly. It is at least one tier lower and approach was not perfect but still, silly.

I do belive they have made torps faster and they are activating I think slightly later. This is how I feel, and I felt immediately on the first game in Hosho after first drop. I would love to see some numbers though.

[SPUDS]
Beta Tester
4,045 posts
7,544 battles

The IJN torps appear slightly faster with a significantly longer activation range. Certainly the speed doesn't make up for it, if there even is a speed buff. I still see plenty ships run parallel with little effort.

The USN torps doesn't seem faster to me, but I can't comment on activation ranges.

[HF_30]
Beta Tester
193 posts
4,207 battles

That video Unintentional_submarine posted is just silly. It is at least one tier lower and approach was not perfect but still, silly.

I do belive they have made torps faster and they are activating I think slightly later. This is how I feel, and I felt immediately on the first game in Hosho after first drop. I would love to see some numbers though.

I hope it is more than 2 other wise its going to be utterly pointless to attack an Iowa since it for JP planes any way the HP buff over the last Tier is fairly small so even if you send T9 to attack the Iowa the same thing will happen only the second squad might get all 4 torps off before been wiped out but you will still lose the first one out right. That is some thing you that is not balanced no carrier can afford a trade like that even if all 4 torps hit losing 2 squads a time would cripple you.

[PRAVD]
Community Contributor
1,827 posts
7,099 battles

Oh, look, it happened AGAIN! 1 CV, 19 BBs, 3 CAs, 1 DD.

WorldOfBattleships2.jpg

This time we won though:

Replay: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/89115692/wows/cvs/Shoukaku300kdmgWin.wowsreplay

Shoukaku1.jpgShoukaku2.jpgShoukaku3.jpg

This is just crazy how many battleships there are, especially ones that seem to have no idea what they are doing.

Alpha Tester
2,271 posts
1,040 battles

CAs protect the BBs with their active skill, not with their AA power. It's waste to attack in panic mode, but they win 30 seconds for reposition, getting fighter support and still dealing some damage, so when they come again to attack they die much easier and the BB is in good position, so they need long approach = huge losses with the combined AA. That's the CA's role, not the direct AA fire and they are really great in protecting the BBs that way and they should be rewarded far more for shooting down armed TBs, so it's worth it to play this role.

The speed and activation range are pretty much the same as in the old patch. But we hit the CAs easier, because of 3 reasons.

- they were not so hard to hit before 0.3.1 once their AA skill is on cooldown, we just rarely bothered as the big fat BBs were always better choice. Now with those ninja BBs we actually adapted to hit extremely agile targets all the time.

- after the changes they turn a bit slower, because they are long, but not so "fat" like the USB BBs.

- now it takes longer to drop speed/accelerate, so it's much harder to make "surprise" for the CV, so he can miss most of the torps, because of wrong lead.

Sign in to follow this