Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Zuihou_Kai

New shipclass idea.... Auxiliary Ships

49 comments in this topic

[XTREM]
Players
3,669 posts
10,897 battles

Hello everyone. 

Has there ever been a discussion about the addition of auxiliary ships/ repair ships? 

I had this idea floating around and thought it might be worth a post. 

Those ships could function with an AoE (Area of Effect) field that gradually repairs ships close to it and it could also be equipped with nation specific gimmicks on top of it but without guns/AA/secondaries, no armor. 

Very similar to the ones in Ops. 

Concealment and radius of the repair Zone can also be made unique from nation to nation with one maybe repairing more per second but with much smaller AoE zone. Or another nation being exceptionally well concealed while healing much less per second. 

And maybe even radar hydro equipped ones. 

Limit them for 1 of the class per division like CV and maybe only 1 or max. 2 per battle. 

What are your thoughts? 

• Cool 6
  • Funny 2
  • Bad 3

Beta Tester
1,842 posts
11,611 battles

ADVANCED IMMERSIVE GAMEPLAY INTENSIFIES

• Cool 1

[PISH]
Players
370 posts
3,068 battles

Perhaps adding picket boat squadrons in a vein of a carrier where you control both the picket boats and their tender.

• Cool 1

Players
9,881 posts
11,605 battles
3 minutes ago, Yoshanai said:

What are your thoughts? 

That would require actually fixing AI pathing, if they would be supposed to move around. Also it would mean your average potato team would autohug such repair ship, and its already difficult to get them going towards caps.

Shore bases to be captured? You mean Bastions of old, which had so balans gunnery they kept stealing MVPs from both sides?

• Funny 3

[XTREM]
Players
3,669 posts
10,897 battles

Well the auxiliary ships are of course controlled by players. 

And yes some random would just continuesly hug them... Instead of the usual island behind their spawn. 

I think it might be workable if those are developed carefully. 

[XTREM]
[XTREM]
Players
1,599 posts
13,564 battles

Only if we get a class that spawns controllable frogmen, and not before. 

Players
9,881 posts
11,605 battles
1 minute ago, Yoshanai said:

Well the auxiliary ships are of course controlled by players. 

And yes some random would just continuesly hug them... Instead of the usual island behind their spawn. 

I think it might be workable if those are developed carefully. 

Now imagine carrying your (random) team with spanner instead guns,bombs and torps.

That would have to be one bigass spanner.

Even looking at other, supposedly "teamwork" games with "healer" kind of character, even those carry at least some offensive capacity.

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1

[LEEUW]
Players
2,280 posts
10,068 battles
19 minutes ago, Yoshanai said:

equipped with nation specific gimmicks on top of it but without guns/AA/secondaries, no armor. 

But what do you do as a captain of such a vessel? Sailing simulator 2020?

Like the idea tho. :cap_like:

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1

Beta Tester
1,842 posts
11,611 battles

Tbh is sounds like an arms race buff with extra steps

• Cool 1

[GURKA]
Players
5,208 posts
10,430 battles
15 minutes ago, Panocek said:

That would require actually fixing AI pathing, if they would be supposed to move around. Also it would mean your average potato team would autohug such repair ship, and its already difficult to get them going towards caps.

Shore bases to be captured? You mean Bastions of old, which had so balans gunnery they kept stealing MVPs from both sides?

wow, totally forgot about this mode

Players
9,881 posts
11,605 battles
1 minute ago, kfa said:

Tbh is sounds like an arms race buff with extra steps

More like Arms Race buff that you can (accidentally) outrun.

[LAFIE]
Beta Tester
4,765 posts
5,290 battles
28 minutes ago, Yoshanai said:

What are your thoughts? 

Nobody'd be interested in playing them.

[PARAZ]
Beta Tester
13,792 posts
19,501 battles

You just want more free kills in CVs, don't you?

• Funny 3

[XTREM]
Players
3,669 posts
10,897 battles
Just now, lafeel said:

Nobody'd be interested in playing them.

I'd be. It's not always productive to assume that everyone shares your opinion. 

[XTREM]
Players
3,669 posts
10,897 battles
3 minutes ago, El2aZeR said:

You just want more free kills in CVs, don't you?

Assuming they benefit from their own heal buff and they always have at least one ship nearby it might not be to productive as a CV to go for them on that case when one could instead go for the ships not benefitting from the heal. 

[PARAZ]
Beta Tester
13,792 posts
19,501 battles
9 minutes ago, Yoshanai said:

Assuming they benefit from their own heal buff and they always have at least one ship nearby it might not be to productive as a CV to go for them on that case when one could instead go for the ships not benefitting from the heal. 

Which leaves us with 2 scenarios:

1. The heal buff is so good that it offsets the damage a CV can deal, making any ship in their vicinity practically invulnerable to everything but AP/torp dev strikes.

2. The heal buff isn't good enough that it offsets the damage a CV can deal, making the healer a free kill for the CV.

Players
9,881 posts
11,605 battles
18 minutes ago, Yoshanai said:

I don't kinda see how you would balance economy for them. Amount of hp restored? Easily abusable by parking all the baBBies around and let them be farmed. Fixed exp/credit gains? Botter wet dreams. Are they unarmed or have two or three guns to pew pew with (akin to repair ship in Narai). Are we going with "realistic" speed of 15kts tops for most such vessels or going "balans" route. If so, when we will end with healing motorboat outrunning destroyers?

How would actual gameplay look like? Sail around and enjoy redyoutube? Some "reparing" minigame to keep fun and engaging? Welding simulator? Designating tools/supplies to damaged ship sections?

And then you have slowness of the game itself. Its no LoL to "oh :etc_swear:" extract yourself or let healer be just behind you and patch you as stuff happens and both GTFO when push happens.

Idea of support ships isn't bad, just brings so many issues to a game centered around Randoms and Naval gameplay. And thats before "Wargaming" part.

PvP Operation, lets say subs vs DDs and AI convoy is something I'd dig though.

• Funny 1

[KAKE]
Players
2,525 posts
5,999 battles
15 minutes ago, Yoshanai said:

I'd be.

Ok, one person would be interested in playing them.

[LAFIE]
Beta Tester
4,765 posts
5,290 battles
20 minutes ago, Yoshanai said:

So you like being a priority target with no way of defending yourself, as any healer always is?

Good for you, I'd, and I suspect most of the players feel the same way, rather be the one hunting you.

[XTREM]
Players
3,669 posts
10,897 battles
2 minutes ago, El2aZeR said:

free kill for the CV.

It depends right? It doesn't need to heal back the whole damage received before the second strike happens. If you do a total of 15k damage to it and before your second wing arrives it heals 5k back then you effectively only did 10k damage. You then need to account for the plane losses you receive due to the AA of nearby ships. T9+ they might even have a repair party consumable which will help them mitigate even more damage making the choice of targeting them poor. 

Assuming the repair ship can't push close without being deleted surrounding ships are pinned to its location meaning that targets elsewhere are much more favorable for you. 

Considering this all we can assume that the repair ship will mostly be used on the holding/stalling flank making all this even more difficult and fruitless since a CV usually doesn't target stalling flanks if not absolutely necessary Or juice targets that are isolated are around. 

7 minutes ago, Panocek said:

Idea of support ships isn't bad, just brings so many issues to a game centered around Randoms. And thats before "Wargaming" part.

Yes you are kind of right. The interaction part is kind of difficult. There is nothing to press or shoot in those ships to keep the player engaged all the time. Obviously realism was never a problem for WG however and speed shouldn't be an issue. 

But yes, the "engaging" part of the gameplay might be difficult to create. 

[CAIN]
Players
4,382 posts
18,527 battles

Interesting idea, but WG is WAY ahead and already implemented them in OPS.

Where all CV :etc_swear: should be.

[DUXTR]
Alpha Tester
934 posts

Why the f.....would I spend time and effort not to do anything in the game exept just to sail back and forth for 20 minutes and being prime target for every enemy ship in range?

Yeah, sound bloody fun.

Just waiting for the 5 pieces of BB hugs when battle starts.....................ignoring corona safety rules and all......tsk tsk. :Smile_glasses:

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1

[XTREM]
[XTREM]
Players
1,599 posts
13,564 battles
2 minutes ago, SirAmra said:

Why the f.....would I spend time and effort not to do anything in the game exept just to sail back and forth for 20 minutes and being prime target for every enemy ship in range?

To be fair, plenty of players are already doing that in the ships we have currently. 

• Cool 1

[THESO]
Players
1,120 posts
15,269 battles

I generally like the idea and it might make the game more interesting and tactical.

However knowing the community and the developer, I have some serious doubts how much fun it's going to be to play this class. I can already see it as a DD in Arms Race. I am the [woman that sells her body] for my team mates that tries to answer their vain needs for buffs, while they, camping in the back, expect me to expose doing so. At the end I get a fraction of their XP as a compensation for my altruistic service. The experiences with support classes in many games are similar. "Healer heal me, so I can shortchange you on the loot."

The community has proven over the years to be rather self-centered and Wargaming has a habit of rewarding selfish actions way better than taking actions to win the game the safest possible and most direct way. That experience likely makes such a class anything but appealing to play.

• Cool 3

[XTREM]
Players
3,669 posts
10,897 battles
30 minutes ago, Panocek said:

balance economy

Reward them with 50% (value of course doesn't need to be 50) of what the ship in its healing range earns during its time spent in there. Counting all ships that ever enter it and "collect" economy bonuses during their time in the healing range. 

Sign in to follow this