You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
The_GooD_Old_One

Why are WG games more frustrating than other games?

33 comments in this topic

Players
24 posts
2,923 battles

I have played many online and competitive games, but in no other games I was not anywhere near to the levels of frustration the WG games bring me to. I find that I am having unnatural streaks (winning or loosing) and getting frustrated easily. usually when I have time to play and enjoy, I hit one of those "cant win any games for all week". Why all those streaks of being uptiered and horrid mm and composition? 

Golden ages with SC 2 - you loose in ladder, its 100% your fault. Before I reached higher leagues, I was loosing a lot, but I did not mind and kept getting better. Why this feeling is not present in WG games and I get angry and frustrated?

Anyone has a good explanation why WG games are so frustrating? I spoke to my friends, often they are having the same feelings.... I am not sure what is it that clicks me into that anger/frustration state...

Greeting and have a nice day Captains :)

• Cool 4
  • Funny 1
  • Boring 1

[CATS]
Players
26,040 posts
14,077 battles
  • mostly because the teams are bigger
  • winning is very important
  • Cool 3

[MUMMY]
Beta Tester
243 posts
4,088 battles

Because of the high numbers of random people involved. The game itself has some frustrating parts, but for me personally, the playerbase is the most frustrating one. Just take a look at other big titles like LoL, DotA2, R6, CS:GO, Overwatch, even AoE2 - the main modes of these games are built around 4v4, 5v5, etc. while WoWs's or WoT's most popular mode is build around 12v12 and 15v15. The sheer amount of random influence you have with this amount of people is a guarantee to get frustrated.

Also, WoWs and WoT are grinder games. All the other games have experience, skill improvement and only a little part of unlocking content as their progress. In WoT it is one of the biggest parts.

• Cool 5

[XTREM]
Players
3,612 posts
10,810 battles

WGs games aren't the only frustrating ones. 

Ever tried playing with "Pick up Groups" in MMORPGS? 

You get the worst of the worst who don't know strats, don't watch guides or play their class wrong or badly dragging you down. 

I usually play healer classes and I see everything. Every misplay... Nothing escapes me and sometimes it just makes me rage quit. 

Bad players can be everywhere same as teams dragging you down. 

Playing in static groups helps. But that requires organization effort. 

Same applies to wows. The game is easier with Clanmates. So just find yourself a group of friends to play with. 

• Cool 2

[XTREM]
[XTREM]
Players
1,571 posts
13,483 battles

When you get frustrated again, come back to this thread and look at this:

2YrF8Uq.gif.1dd980d3a7aea8143bea8b86c1f114e5.gif

• Cool 1
  • Funny 2

Players
264 posts
4,969 battles

People have given good answers. I would add, no skill-based game modes or matchmaking. That said, I don't find WoWs more frustrating than other PvP games. They are all very frustrating, especially team-based ones.

Players
6,301 posts
10,524 battles

Guys, dont forget to mention the free2play model. This attract a) people that dont care at all and b) the game is designed to be somewhat frustrating to make you reach (and shortcut) for something, that promises to be fun (or a little bit less frustrating xD).

So because of all the stuff mentioned, its very futile to compare wows to something like SC2. And if you cant deal with it... this game might not be for you. Because it will never ever change.

• Cool 5

[PISH]
Players
369 posts
3,065 battles

Dunno about others but I play WoWS to relax. Works like a charm.

• Funny 1

[LUZ1]
Players
570 posts
11,196 battles
26 minutes ago, The_GooD_Old_One said:

I have played many online and competitive games, but in no other games I was not anywhere near to the levels of frustration the WG games bring me to. I find that I am having unnatural streaks (winning or loosing) and getting frustrated easily. usually when I have time to play and enjoy, I hit one of those "cant win any games for all week". Why all those streaks of being uptiered and horrid mm and composition? 

Golden ages with SC 2 - you loose in ladder, its 100% your fault. Before I reached higher leagues, I was loosing a lot, but I did not mind and kept getting better. Why this feeling is not present in WG games and I get angry and frustrated?

Anyone has a good explanation why WG games are so frustrating? I spoke to my friends, often they are having the same feelings.... I am not sure what is it that clicks me into that anger/frustration state...

Greeting and have a nice day Captains :)

It is quite simple. 

This is a team game where there is no skill differentiation between tools and experts. So the craziest stuff spoils your game, even at T10. :cap_fainting:

Players
24 posts
2,923 battles

Good answers guys. I feel a bit better that I am not alone. :) Overall I like the game, I just think there is a great potential in this game that is somehow butchered by WG. I used to play WOT, and now if I log in I see how much FOR THE BAD it has changed. I just hope wows will not follow anytime soon.

• Cool 1

Players
2,803 posts

I have rage quit in Conan Exiles. Rust too. Haven't yet in Wows despite being deeply frustrated and offended at times. Despite all my love for ships and the community kept me around. The forum too :fish_cute_2:

• Cool 2

[THESO]
[THESO]
3,720 posts
10,119 battles

In other games you've mentioned, you either have a re-spawn mechanic so after making a mistake you come back, 

or in SC or SC2.. which I've played on competitive level a lot, you can always have more strategies as back ups and you can recover from mistakes you make :)

but here no you don't :) 

and in any game you've mentioned up there.. unless you YOURSELF screw up, there is always a chance you win.. 

but here.. sometimes you don't have that chance.. 

most of the time :) 

lets imagine you are playing SC2.. 

lets say 4v4 for the sake of the argument.. 

and you are randomly matched against others.. you have 3 random teammates.. 

and at the start.. one asked, "How can I gather crystals?"

The other one says, "I don't like this location, I'll fly my command center to somewhere else.. don't wait backup from me for 10 mins"

how frustrated you'd be?

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1

[GURKA]
Players
5,192 posts
10,378 battles
1 hour ago, Nov_A said:

Because of the high numbers of random people involved. The game itself has some frustrating parts, but for me personally, the playerbase is the most frustrating one. Just take a look at other big titles like LoL, DotA2, R6, CS:GO, Overwatch, even AoE2 - the main modes of these games are built around 4v4, 5v5, etc. while WoWs's or WoT's most popular mode is build around 12v12 and 15v15. The sheer amount of random influence you have with this amount of people is a guarantee to get frustrated.

Also, WoWs and WoT are grinder games. All the other games have experience, skill improvement and only a little part of unlocking content as their progress. In WoT it is one of the biggest parts.

and even those 5vs5s can be frustrating with randoms

[GURKA]
Players
5,192 posts
10,378 battles
4 minutes ago, Excavatus said:

and at the start.. one asked, "How can I gather crystals?"

The other one says, "I don't like this location, I'll fly my command center to somewhere else.. don't wait backup from me for 10 mins"

sounds funny :cap_haloween:

[PISH]
Players
369 posts
3,065 battles

Considering the sterling example of camaraderie and good conduct in chat that all the MOBA games are I'd say WG's titles are not frustrating enough.

• Funny 1

[HNFC]
Players
243 posts
17,710 battles

The biggest frustration arises from the fact that two, VERY DIFFERENT genres of games are fused together, especially in WoWS.

- The serious, MMO competitive game, with skill, experience and aptitude being all that matter (such as StarCraft, LoL/HoTS, etc),

- And the casual arcade game with mostly random components to entertain your average working-class, tired-out playerbase who just want a few games of chilling out (like the skribbl dot io drawing game, for instance).

You really want to, and really have to win, if you want to gain favourable stats, and rewards. Practically, winning is everything in nearly all terms that matter: progress, stats, exp, missions, directives, etc. Perhaps credit earnings are the only thing that are not affected by winning or losing. 

On the other hand, unless you join with a high level CV in a div (determining enemy CV level and that of at least 2 other ships, mostly...) NOTHING you do ingame will mitigate the sheer amount of randomness. Your ratings have nothing to do who you will be teamed up with/against. MM doesn't care for a balance among players. Your perfect salvos might or might not yield citadels. After selecting a certain ship for a certain kind of self-entertainment, you might or might not end up in the type of battle you expected. When doing an event, you may or may not get lucky. You can't open even a T5 ship for a month, your guildmate got all ships up tp T8 on the first week. Even the ships you own today may or may not be the same tomorrow. If you purchased a Massa for secondary fun in winter, too bad, IFHE rework. And so on. 

All this, while creating an atmosphere worse than a workplace. You want to do clan battles, but you also want to progress with the daily missions (can't do both together). You would also like to play ranked at say T5 or T7, but want to finally finish that grind to T10 on your T8-T9 somethings. All this while wanting to farm narai for free exp to get the new reward sh...oh, wait. Good news! Narai is now pointless to farm. Oh wait. That's Bad. Or actually, still good? Yes - at least that's one less chore you feel obliged to do here. All the while developers are intentionally causing this pressure as this is the only way left for them to milk money out of the playerbase.

Tl;dr: The game is just too serious to take it easy, but it's also too pathetic to properly reward honest, serious dedication. Hence all the frustration, regardless of how you approach it. 

• Cool 5

Players
5,976 posts
11,274 battles

Some very good answers have already been given here :Smile_great:

So my answer will probably duplicate some of what's already mentioned here.

One frustrating thing is having random teammates along with the somewhat rock-paper-scissors mm (Be the only bottom tier DD in a double carrier match with tier 6/8 carriers and you're kinda fracked) in combination with winning being so important here due to how progressing in wows is set up. You need xp to progress, but for this it is important that you win while having limited influence over your chances to win. That's why someone who is pro will win only like 50% more battles compared to a complete potato.

Back when I played BF, winning wasn't important at all (except maybe when being commander). I only cared for my own progress and my own knife k/d ratio, so even having 10 losses in a row meant nothing to me and having potatoes in my team was only something exploitable for me.

This is also why I don't like being forced into some kind of competitive PvP meta (which arguably, BF wasn't as winning didn't even really matter).

The toxicity can also be frustrating, but imo WG is doing the right thing here alongside the ease of just blocking someone outright and teamkiller-greavers not really being able to teamkill due to how mirrored damage works.

I would however like to be able to see blacklisted people in the portui chats as well as in the game, so I can avoid them more easily when forming ops farm groups.

And I already got to it, the port ui lagging can also be frustrating. WoT doesn't have this. Perhaps I need an SSD to get silkysmooth chat, but I think this is a bit absurd as even my old 486 handled chat more smoothly :Smile_child:(not a joke btw).

Other frustrating stuff is stuff like P2W (which wows has very little of, practically speaking) and P2G (which is a bit more complicated matter, partially due to how much powercreep is involved here, complicated further by WG's own business model, so no clear answers here imo).

Despite the couple things that have made WoWS a bit worse since I played it and how much better WOT has become compared to a few years ago, WoWS is still the better game imo. Otherwise I wouldn't even be playing this game anymore right? :Smile-_tongue:

The reward system in WoWS is pretty good, though can be very grindy at times. WoWS is perfectly playable as a F2P player, but still rewarding to people who want to support the game financially, O gods I'm starting to come off as some kind of salesman here or something :Smile_coin: But whatever.

The gated stuff I don't like as much, though perfectly understandable from a business model PoV.

When not considering some of the grind aspects and how toxic randoms and ranked battles can be (due to mm, teammates and winning is everything-thingy), this game is still usually very enjoyable in certain gamemodes with the vast majority of the frustration factors quite easy to avoid :Smile_medal:

• Cool 1

Players
3,213 posts

Yes they are frustrating and I think they are designed that way,mind you I remember getting mad in Starcraft and on my XBOX games, so maybe it is the nature of video games,nothing else to add as others have said it much better than I

[SPURD]
Players
293 posts
3,301 battles

Hm? Try dotalikes like LoL or HOTS where one moron is enough to make 20+ minutes of your time wasted.

Players
3,213 posts
4 minutes ago, Itwastuesday said:

Hm? Try dotalikes like LoL or HOTS where one moron is enough to make 20+ minutes of your time wasted.

At least in WoT's it is only 15 minutes eh?:Smile_veryhappy:

• Funny 1

[SPURD]
Players
293 posts
3,301 battles
3 minutes ago, Inappropriate_noob said:

At least in WoT's it is only 15 minutes eh?:Smile_veryhappy:

Well you can always die and get a new match instead. Never are you stuck in a garbage match for 50 minutes with leaver penalties and whatnot.

Players
3,213 posts
4 minutes ago, Itwastuesday said:

Well you can always die and get a new match instead. Never are you stuck in a garbage match for 50 minutes with leaver penalties and whatnot.

I don't really understand that, do you mean if you are in a division, assuming you have just been sunk I apologise for maybe getting wires crossed here.

[SPURD]
Players
293 posts
3,301 battles
3 minutes ago, Inappropriate_noob said:

I don't really understand that, do you mean if you are in a division, assuming you have just been sunk I apologise for maybe getting wires crossed here.

Meaning in WoT/WoWs you can die and leave the game and play another with another tank/ship. In LoL for example you can lose the game in 5 minutes but have to keep playing it for 50 before you get a new game, and you get leaver penalties too if you quit.

• Cool 1

Players
35 posts

Since MMORPGs were mentioned already and this is a Russian game, i'd like to share a little story that might shed some light on the background for some of the concepts in WOWS:

Several years ago i played an MMORPG called "Allods Online" during late Beta.

It was a wierd mix. Although it was mostly PvE, at around level 20 you had to quest in a PVP zone and there were no restrictions at all. Level 50 player one shots level 20? All the time.

Also, at max. level, it was somewhat easy for a group of players to get into the newbie area of the other faction and kill all the guards and then the noobs. All day.

At first i thought those were Beta problems to be patched out soon, but no, it wasn't patched out because it was the Russian way to play.

I learned this when our guys befriended a Russian team, and i spent quite some time with them on raids - the tank class i played was in really short supply...

It was quite stressful - ALT-Tabbing to Yahoo translator because i don't speak russian all the time - but also extremely fun since the russians were very... how to put it... light on everything.

They would basically ignore anything negative, like a bad pull wiping the party.

Instead it was all about the fun they could get out of the game.

A typical conversation could look like this:

"Guys, the bad guys are slaughtering our noobs again. Shall we drive the suckers out?"

"Yeah, they are doing this so often now, we'll start losing too many frustrated players."

"Nah, we got enough people here for a good endgame raid, let's do that instead!"

"And afterwards we share our loot with the noobs and have a party?"

And off we went....

So if you call the game frustrating, i'd say you are right.

But it does not have to be if you are able to change your attitude towards it.

To me it's never frustrating since i learned to laugh at everything, even my own worst mistakes.

I learn from those mistakes, so i am having fun and i'm getting better at the game.

What more can one wish for?

P.S.: Special Greetings to this triple guy from Moscow who had a Westie back then.

Small chances of a reunion but you never know. :)

• Funny 1

[SICK]
Weekend Tester
5,046 posts
10,667 battles

It's frustrating because you know that every single new addition to the game has been examined in every minute detail to extract the max amount of money from the player while disregarding gameplay.

There is no explaning dockyard events, lootboxes and hilarious early access lootboxes for 3 month branch arcs, while having a complete lack of actual ingame tutorials any other way.
Everything you use ingame has been studied by a bean counter to make you spend money. Making a game is secondary.

• Cool 4