You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Camperdown

At which tier should you no longer be a total tool?

At which tier is it no longer OK to be a total tool?  

69 members have voted

1. 1. When is it no longer OK to play really badly?

• I am not playing badly, I just like to camp and farm damage
    • T6
    • T7
    • T8
    • T9
    • I like noobs, it improves my stats, so make my day, punk
    • Hey, this is WeeGee, the game is designed to promote silly walks

33 comments in this topic

[LUZ1]
Players
588 posts
11,315 battles

Ah, I remember those great days, when I would yolo my DD into the cap and die in 2 minutes, when I would try to stealthily creep up on a CV from game start, try to cap the enemy base in a straight line … 

Sigh, those were the days.

But at some point you have to grow up and start bringing some sense into your game. When do you think this is really no longer optional? 

• Cool 2
  • Boring 1

Players
6,851 posts
245 battles

Tier 6 but mostly tier 7, by tier 6 you should have a decent grasp of how things work and at tier 7 you should have better understanding of not only the basics but also intermediate and higher information to use and make work on a consistent basis.

especially since tier 6 is when you meet radar and tier 7 is when you start metting 457’s, 460’s and supercruisers more often as well, so mistakes are more harshly punished tier 6+ than in the previous tiers.

idealy at tier 6 since you should know the basics and map awareness plus positioning to some degree and tier 7 is where you refine those skills even more.

by tier 8 you should have complete knowledge over basics and most intermediate stuff while learning the more advanced knowledge.

at tier 9 nevermind 8 or 7 there isn’t an excuse to deliberately be bad since you should know better.

and remember take your time, some ships require 10’s of battles to get used to others just ‘click’ especially if they are easy to use monotask/monorole ships.

[MIAU]
[MIAU]
Players
4,046 posts

No such tier exists.

Despite what many players wish, being a potato is not a crime. Some people do actually reach their skill ceiling at a 45 % winrate or less and can not improve from that for one reason or another. Playing with and against such players is a part of the deal you signed up for, for as long as Wargaming does not implement a skill based matchmaker. And by the looks of it, due to all the issues such a thing would create by itself, we will not get one in the foreseeable future.

• Cool 5

[IRQ]
Players
2,930 posts
7,510 battles

It depends on what you mean by "should", since there will always be tools in T10, and I don't think they should be disallowed.

I would say that it's in your best interest to learn the basics and some more advanced mechanics by T6, give or take. The game starts being more punishing towards mistakes at T7, so if you haven't learned it by then, you might want to spend some more time figuring the game out.

[CATS]
Players
26,334 posts
14,178 battles

Tier V is the Tier where you should have gained at least some clue how this game works.

It is ok to be completly clueless earlier, but not advisable.

[XTREM]
Players
3,674 posts
10,928 battles

The question should be directed at the battle count instead. 

It's very easy to reach high tiers with low amounts of battles. 

Experience trumps everything else and I believe after 2k battles one should be rather decent and the stats should be growing. If however after 2k battles the stats show no sign of improvement that is then a reason for concern. 

• Cool 2

[NWP]
Beta Tester
1,767 posts
16,637 battles

Somewhere in between T6 and T7. Tier 6 will see the next level of CV play and you can easily meet a lot of tier 8 ships featuring e.g. concealment modules, secondary builds and radar ships. Tier 7 will mean that you match up to T9 when even cruisers will have heals.

The only permisseable exception for derping around at higher levels is when you finished downloading the game and your first transaction is the purchase of a Derpitz. (just kidding)

Players
477 posts
1,514 battles

Tier 12?:Smile_hiding:

Gameplay changes as you progress up the tiers, and the Peter Principle applies......

[SPURD]
Players
323 posts
3,476 battles

Being bad is a state of mind unrelated to any grinding amounts. There could be T30 in this game and some people wouldn't change.

Players
1,515 posts
11,330 battles

If you understand the basic game concepts, such as play for objectives, do not try and be a hero in a 1 vs 5 fight and so on - simply said, using common sense and logic, you are already better than at least 85% of the entire WoWs gaming community. To improve into the last 15%, this will come automatically with experience, ebcause WoWs is all about experience and not a skill you learn within a couple of games of jumping from one tier to the next.

• Cool 2

[SO_LO]
Players
22 posts
383 battles

i miss the option T5.

T3/4 is learning the game.

at T5 you should be getting better because of the 2T spread and little room for mistakes.

if not don't move on...i don't see the point.

Beta Tester
919 posts
9,255 battles

I'm realistic, so I'm gonna say at tier 8 you should have a good idea of what your class role is.

Exept CV's, the skillgap of those starts and closes at T4.

Players
2,213 posts
12,923 battles

It depends on the individual... I didn't listen to advice and it took me twelve months to figure what I was doing wrong... Tier 8.... If you listen to those that know Tier 6 in my opinion.

[OP]
Players
107 posts
17,477 battles
6 hours ago, Yoshanai said:

The question should be directed at the battle count instead. 

It's very easy to reach high tiers with low amounts of battles. 

Experience trumps everything else and I believe after 2k battles one should be rather decent and the stats should be growing. If however after 2k battles the stats show no sign of improvement that is then a reason for concern. 

^^^ What he said

[SM0KE]
Players
5,462 posts
13,485 battles

I voted T8, but I suspect the answer is somewhere in the T7-8 range.

It's very easy as a newbie to bag a T6 ship with very little time in the game (premiums cost noticeably less too, so you're more likely to say words to the effect of "f*kkit" and just buy one), so we should expect to see a lot of very inexperienced folk playing T6s; as such, I have quite a bit of sympathy for potatoes in T6s - it's very easy to get there without knowing any different.

When you're in the T7-8 range, you should be pretty confident that you like the game, and have played enough to at least start to realise that just getting scarier ships doesn't make you win more often; also, the cost associated with premium ships is notably higher, which should make people at least pause before clicking buy (yes, I know - Tirpitz). So, it's around here - IMO - that it starts to become rather less acceptable to deliberately not bother to improve.

I should point out though, that some people for whatever reason may well have a ceiling on how good they can get (slower old guy reflexes - me - for example; lost an arm in a tragic accident involving an anteater, and so on) - I have no problem with people that are trying not to potate, but may be inherently a bit tuberous through no fault of their own.

So, I feel there is a significant difference between 'deliberately' playing really badly, and doing so through no fault of your own.

Players
3,229 posts
7 hours ago, Egoleter said:

No such tier exists.

Despite what many players wish, being a potato is not a crime. Some people do actually reach their skill ceiling at a 45 % winrate or less and can not improve from that for one reason or another. Playing with and against such players is a part of the deal you signed up for, for as long as Wargaming does not implement a skill based matchmaker. And by the looks of it, due to all the issues such a thing would create by itself, we will not get one in the foreseeable future.

Now it is interesting that you mention this, I have pulled off some cracking wins in both WoT's and this game, this game was the seduction to all thing WG in the very beginning, but in the past few day I have gone and had a few games in WoT's with a good mate,and over TS we got on about he subject of stats, and he told me this,if you have had a whole heap of battles, many many games, and you still have a low winrate, it will take you forever to get a higher level.

Now if you have not had so many battles,the your winrate will get higher, quicker,going back to WoT's it was a player in that forum who suggested I set another account, (my alt) at first I was sceptical but went along with the idea, an wouldn't you know it it worked, both alts in both games have stats which are heading the right way,where as stats for this account, well lets just say this potato never got put in a gro-bag.:Smile_veryhappy:

[S-O-M]
Players
657 posts

I didn’t vote, whilst most of us start off dire generally over time we improve, some have natural ability and pick it up from the start, while the remainder literally are no hopers, no matter what your level MM and RNG can improve or degrade your ability further.   But we all have good games, bad games, great games and cringeworthy bad games,  if we played well every game and won every game we’d soon get bored, and be seeing a day of losses and then a day of victories we know no matter what we do WG dictates the terms 🤫.

Players
2,838 posts

Playing the game for fun should never be removed as option. Giving the option to players to play serious should also always be present. In my book the first is more important than the second as much as it might frustrate me :)

• Cool 1

[PARAZ]
Beta Tester
13,801 posts
19,532 battles
9 hours ago, Egoleter said:

Despite what many players wish, being a potato is not a crime.

According to WG and depending on your playstyle it actually is.

From the recent discord Q&A:

unknown.png

[LEEUW]
Players
2,282 posts
10,080 battles

I don't care at which tier someone is being a tool as long as it's in coop. It's neither fun playing against then nor is it fun to have them in my team. 

[THESO]
Weekend Tester, In AlfaTesters
3,209 posts
7,726 battles
11 hours ago, Camperdown said:

Ah, I remember those great days, when I would yolo my DD into the cap and die in 2 minutes, when I would try to stealthily creep up on a CV from game start, try to cap the enemy base in a straight line … 

Sigh, those were the days.

But at some point you have to grow up and start bringing some sense into your game. When do you think this is really no longer optional? 

Playing Really Badly is OK till maximum T4.

At T5 and above you should actually start making at least some Effort.

Nobody saying you need to do Unicum Level Stuff or Win each Fight you get into. But at T5 and above if you just Yolo and Die then Sorry. But thats not Ok even there.

Honestly said. Even at T4 its not ok. But at T4 its Forgivable because at this Point you might Possibly not yet know certain things.

Beta Tester
4,709 posts
10,952 battles

Most ship lines makes little sense in the context of what you're really expected to be doing until t5, nor will a new player have a reasonable captain on a ship (10pt+) until into t6 or even longer. So t6-t7 is a reasonable time to have learned how whatever line you're playing is expected to behave and work in practical terms. However the longer the game lasts it will take longer for a new player to get some grasp on how the ship lines they haven't touched will be to combat too. It's not like this forum isn't filled with threads from people complaining that this or that is op as they have only the slightest slimmer of an idea on what the limitations and capabilities of those ships actually are.

[THESO]
Weekend Tester, In AlfaTesters
3,209 posts
7,726 battles
5 minutes ago, AgarwaenME said:

Most ship lines makes little sense in the context of what you're really expected to be doing until t5, nor will a new player have a reasonable captain on a ship (10pt+) until into t6 or even longer. So t6-t7 is a reasonable time to have learned how whatever line you're playing is expected to behave and work in practical terms. However the longer the game lasts it will take longer for a new player to get some grasp on how the ship lines they haven't touched will be to combat too. It's not like this forum isn't filled with threads from people complaining that this or that is op as they have only the slightest slimmer of an idea on what the limitations and capabilities of those ships actually are.

Mate. We are Talking about not being a Total Potato. Not about actually Playing Good.

You dont need to know the Full Meta and have 10 Point Captains with Proper Builds on this Stage.

Your just Expected to not Yolo Forward and Die in 2 Minutes as a DD. Drive Forward and get Deleted by Citadel in 2 Minutes as a Cruiser or Sitting at 20km range in your BB all Match and Shooting HE at Enemy BBs 20km away.

And by the way even at T6-7 I actually still dont Expect Players to be doing Good. Neither do I expect them to have Fully Upgraded Ships and 10 Points Captains lol....

There is a reeeeeeaaaaaalllllllyyyyyyyy Big Gap between being Full Potato and being Good Player who knows the Meta, Builds and Mechanics of the Game.

And as long as your even halfway in the Middle of it. I will be Perfectly Happy with you. You dont need a 10 Point Captain for that ;)

Beta Tester
4,709 posts
10,952 battles
7 minutes ago, Sunleader said:

Mate. We are Talking about not being a Total Potato. Not about actually Playing Good.

You dont need to know the Full Meta and have 10 Point Captains with Proper Builds on this Stage.

Your just Expected to not Yolo Forward and Die in 2 Minutes as a DD. Drive Forward and get Deleted by Citadel in 2 Minutes as a Cruiser or Sitting at 20km range in your BB all Match and Shooting HE at Enemy BBs 20km away.

And by the way even at T6-7 I actually still dont Expect Players to be doing Good. Neither do I expect them to have Fully Upgraded Ships and 10 Points Captains lol....

There is a reeeeeeaaaaaalllllllyyyyyyyy Big Gap between being Full Potato and being Good Player who knows the Meta, Builds and Mechanics of the Game.

And as long as your even halfway in the Middle of it. I will be Perfectly Happy with you. You dont need a 10 Point Captain for that ;)

The point is, until you've gotten to ships were you learn their expected abilities and weaknesses, and how captains support them, then (aside the silly extreme of "dd dying in 2 minutes" which is just hyperbole) then you're going to end up dying to thinks you don't understand.