Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Abandon_Ship

Numeric separators in mission requirements

15 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

[XTREM]
Players
3,671 posts
10,897 battles

Should have been posted in the suggestion topic but this one is so good actually that I believe it deserves its own topic. 

Why didn't I ever think of this. Good job. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[DAVY]
Players
2,743 posts
13,702 battles

yup, good one, i find myself counting the zero's quite often just to make sure what grind i'm doing next...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[FAILS]
Players
520 posts
19,337 battles

This has been an issue forever and also brought up time and again and should be so easy to change. Come on, WG!

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
1,510 posts
11,302 battles
1 hour ago, Abandon_Ship said:

Europeans use period separators and commas for the decimal point

As someone who is living in Switzerland i feel offended by this generalization. :Smile-_tongue:

  • Funny 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
2,904 posts
15,001 battles

In fact, they wanted Smolensk to shoot every 45,0 seconds to try to compensate smoke, torps, overpens and ricochets, small ciadel, repair party, etc., but made a mistake with the comma and it was released with 4,50 seconds. As WG doesn't nerf premiums (maybe their only unbreaked and not desired promise, specially if it's russian), they had to leave it that way.

  • Funny 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[-SBF-]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
8,315 posts
29 minutes ago, Miblogdegolf said:

In fact, they wanted Smolensk to shoot every 45,0 seconds to try to compensate smoke, torps, overpens and ricochets, small ciadel, repair party, etc., but made a mistake with the comma and it was released with 4,50 seconds. As WG doesn't nerf premiums (maybe their only unbreaked and not desired promise, specially if it's russian), they had to leave it that way.

But Smolensk isn't a premium ship.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
659 posts
9,964 battles
1 hour ago, BruceRKF said:

This has been an issue forever and also brought up time and again and should be so easy to change. Come on, WG!

their argument for not doing it is because not every nation uses the same form, ,'s or .'s

the obvious alternative is to go 35 000 000   - but even that is apparently "too confusing" for people, so instead were stuck with 350000000 and having to count the zeros.

  • Cool 1
  • Funny 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[TOXIC]
Alpha Tester
2,084 posts
7,193 battles

I prefer 3,5e7 myself, since that leaves no room for misinterpretations and saves space/ink.

  • Funny 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[FAILS]
Players
520 posts
19,337 battles
39 minutes ago, Starchy_Tuber said:

their argument for not doing it is because not every nation uses the same form, ,'s or .'s

the obvious alternative is to go 35 000 000   - but even that is apparently "too confusing" for people, so instead were stuck with 350000000 and having to count the zeros.

Hold on, is this not language specific? So it can simply change depending on which language you set your client in. For German it would be 1.999,99 and for English the other way round, 1,999.99, for example. This seriously should NOT be a hindrance.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
659 posts
9,964 battles
3 hours ago, BruceRKF said:

Hold on, is this not language specific? So it can simply change depending on which language you set your client in. For German it would be 1.999,99 and for English the other way round, 1,999.99, for example. This seriously should NOT be a hindrance.

but it is....apparently

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
1,510 posts
11,302 battles
15 hours ago, Starchy_Tuber said:

their argument for not doing it is because not every nation uses the same form, ,'s or .'s

This argument does not hold true, because there are indeed numbers in the game that use a seperator. E.g. credit values of 1 million and more, if it's a mission reward. So they use sometimes a easier to read format but usually where it is not really needed, while the more important stuff is ignored.

Also, as far as i know does every programming language have built-in, or loadable modules, functionality for localization. Which means, when programmed properly, the function grabs the client language and applies language specific things such as thousand seperators, how dates are presented, how times are presented and so on.

I assume that the intern who wrote this stuff years ago never bothered with implementing a localization function and so it was carried on. Now WG is too lazy (or too cheap) to refactor the code that we can actually read numbers and stuff properly. By RU logic: why change something and make it more convenient, when it worked for years and nobody died because of it. BTW, portuguese use a space 1 000 000, i'm from CH we use an apostrophe 1'000'000.

 

UPDATE

From the recent campaign Strong-Willed, final task of mission 1

O811mUA.jpg

 

n8Vtqrs.jpg 

 

  • Cool 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[BFS]
Beta Tester
1,862 posts
11,881 battles
3 hours ago, ThePurpleSmurf said:

I assume that the intern who wrote this stuff years ago never bothered with implementing a localization function and so it was carried on.

As an IT developer I'd like to say that they were, probably only following the specification especially if they were a 'resource' from the sub-continent.

 

A more experienced developer may have made the suggestion to implement this but may have just been told to JFDI.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
714 posts

The Modules tab uses spaces as separators; so do the ships stats box and the doubloons/credits/FXP counters in top right of the port screen. Not having separators elsewhere isn't just lazy, it's pretty inconsistent as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sign in to follow this  

×