Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Andrewbassg

Advice request...

48 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

[OZYR]
[OZYR]
Players
719 posts
12,425 battles

Hi. I have 350k -ish FXp which I saved in order to get the replacement of the Moskva. I don't really dig the Donskoy, hence the hoarding....In the meantime I got my eye on the Nelson aaand.... is kinda tempting. I'm not a BB player as per se, (although I have some, Bismarck, Sinop, some others) I'm a cruiser main ( HIndy, Moskva, Seattle, Edinborough...and a LOT of others)

  What is your opinion on her ( Nelson) and the context, should I get her? I did some rather questionable moves before, "investment" wise, so....  whaddaya think? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[XTREM]
Players
3,598 posts
10,810 battles

Get her if you really like playing BBs. 

But be reminded that she is defenseless against CVs. 

Like... Really vulnerable. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[CATS]
Players
26,032 posts
14,064 battles

Nelson is a great ship, but it does not look like she is going away soon.

You can get her later.

You also have time to get Moskwa by normal research.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[OZYR]
[OZYR]
Players
719 posts
12,425 battles
10 minutes ago, Yoshanai said:

Get her if you really like playing BBs. 

But be reminded that she is defenseless against CVs. 

Like... Really vulnerable. 

 Thanks and thanks for the headsup....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[OZYR]
[OZYR]
Players
719 posts
12,425 battles
4 minutes ago, ColonelPete said:

Nelson is a great ship, but it does not look like she is going away soon.

You can get her later.

You also have time to get Moskwa by normal research.

Thanks for the response. I already have the Moskva. The Nevsky is the one in question.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[OZYR]
[OZYR]
Players
719 posts
12,425 battles

I forget to mention that I play a LOT of OPs, so.......thats an another factor...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[XTREM]
Players
3,598 posts
10,810 battles
Gerade eben, Andrewbassg sagte:

I forget to mention that I play a LOT of OPs, so.......thats an another factor...

@Panocek

Is expert for ops. 

He might be able to give input on if Nelson is good choice or not. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[JRM]
Players
6,236 posts
24,058 battles
19 minutes ago, Andrewbassg said:

I forget to mention that I play a LOT of OPs, so.......thats an another factor...

Nelson works fine in Narai if thats your concern, more then fine actually since she is full premium so you can expect random levels of income in it even after nerfs (with more damage done ofc) but 100-140 k in Narai is easy with Nellie, she has superheal as well so apart from total co*kup with Missu blapping you, you are pretty much immortal

  • Cool 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
1,405 posts
6,593 battles

I recently got Nelson. It's interesting because of its unique gameplay, but far from being OP. The reload time is too slow, and you don't get the same punch as a Sinop. Neither, the ship is really speedy. I only played it a couple of times. So only buy it, if you have nothing better to spend your FreeXP on and you're looking for some variety. I don't use it in Narai, because I use tech tree ships there.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[-TPF-]
Players
3,821 posts
15,670 battles
17 minutes ago, Yedwy said:

she has superheal as well so apart from total co*kup with Missu blapping you, you are pretty much immortal

This is the thing about Fat Nelse, you see. It's not very good against CVs, and it has very weak armour for a BB. The turret arrangement suggests bowtanking but - to quote Mr Scott - the ship cannae take it, Cap'n. You will get citadelled through the bow all day long - I'm as worried by that Missouri in Nelson as much as I am playing in Fiji.  She does form part of an interesting and varied range of British BBs at Tier VII but she isn't my favourite. I would save your FXP and use it to get the best value from the Russian cruiser shenanigans. 

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
9,805 posts
11,484 battles

Nelson might be one of the better T7 BBs, at least until SinOP became a thing.

 

Nelson does have:

9x406mm, until Sinop and Ashitaka, THE heaviest broadside of all 406mm battleships. Unfortunately, Brit 406mm AP have very lackluster penetration, comparable to 356mm of other nations (same issue with IJN Mutsu btw). Still have overmatch capabilities worthy of a Big Seven, so no random Baltimore will be able to ignore your AP. Assuming you will load AP, given remarkably lethal HE with 102mm penetration to boot. Her accuracy, like on all BBs, can be... temperamental at times.

 

Lolheal, capable of recovering absurd amount of HP quickly and 32mm plating on central part. 32mm doesn't sound much, but in practice you can ricochet all but Yamato class AP shells with that, also due to IFHE changes 32mm plating can't be damaged by tier 7 and below light cruisers. Tier 8+ still need IFHE to inflict harm to your central part. On negative, Nelson have very high citadel, decently protected at 350mm, but still exposed and she will not forgive you any broadside showing. And there is little reason to, as she have excellent forward firing arcs, not so much backwards.

 

Anti air is... no. She does have substantial 539dps, but its all packed within 2.5km distance. Distance that most strike planes spend very little time and then skip over with immunity frames. Also high citadel means Nelson is very vulnerable against AP bombs

 

For Narai - top pick for her heal alone. For randoms - viable, just not idiotproof.

  • Cool 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[JRM]
Players
6,236 posts
24,058 battles
24 minutes ago, invicta2012 said:

This is the thing about Fat Nelse, you see. It's not very good against CVs, and it has very weak armour for a BB. The turret arrangement suggests bowtanking but - to quote Mr Scott - the ship cannae take it, Cap'n. You will get citadelled through the bow all day long - I'm as worried by that Missouri in Nelson as much as I am playing in Fiji.  She does form part of an interesting and varied range of British BBs at Tier VII but she isn't my favourite. I would save your FXP and use it to get the best value from the Russian cruiser shenanigans. 

Nelson is fine for tanking BUT properly angled tanking is needed, you need to use the belt and keep the angle of cca 45 degrees so the majority of shells bounces off either belt or front cit plate, you will eat pens and occasinal cit ofc but in general you will survive long enough to demolish the target, ofc if you are figting T8+ or some speshul ships (*cough* Sinop) that have icebrakers AND can overmatch you its a big disatvantage and you are going to suffer, badly...

 

Lenin is ocf much more comgortable to do it it but at T8

 

As for CVs well in any T8 CV you just dump on any T7 BB really and of T6 CVs only Ruyos AP cits will really hurt you bad

  • Cool 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[NED]
Players
2,045 posts
7,832 battles

Zombie heal and god-tier HE and its AP is still very good as well.

Its gun layout is also decent but you have to show your sides quite a bit to get the third turret on target and if your not careful you might turn too far and expose your sides.

 

Its HE spamming ability is very good setting multiple fires in 1 salvo is common and if your opponent is fool enough to put them out right away then your next salvo will set some fires that will stick until his damage control can be reused.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[-TPF-]
Players
3,821 posts
15,670 battles
17 minutes ago, Yedwy said:

Nelson is fine for tanking BUT properly angled tanking is needed,

Nelson's armour scheme is rather confusing, I find. The problem  - and please correct me if I'm wrong -  is that her bow - and it's a long one - has 25mm armour which gets overmatched by any BB shell over 15 inches in calibre, and that her athwartship armour - which is wide and flat - will then let through anything bigger than a 12 inch shell and activate the fuse.. resulting in citadels through the nose. Her side plating, however, is 32mm, which will only be overmatched by an IJN 18.1 inch shell and which does have an impact on the penetration of the shell through the side belt. So showing more side than you might think is better. It's a bit like some of the RN heavies in that regard.

  • Cool 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[JRM]
Players
6,236 posts
24,058 battles

The plate on T7 got buffed recently I think its 26mm now (or 27 cant remember off the top of my head) but yes the idea is catch them on the sides by angling but just enough not to get cits through the beltu, and yes showing stern is a bad idea, as is on many T8 BBs as well

  • Cool 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
6,294 posts
10,524 battles
1 hour ago, Panocek said:

For Narai - top pick for her heal alone.

 

I disagree. Top pick for Narai BB-wise is the Scharnhorst. Gneisenau and Sinop are well ahead of Nelson aswell.

 

But before getting into that: Unless you just like to play Narai for the sake of ... well... playing it - its not worth it anymore to dedicate a ship for it. Farming is not worth it. It does have a huge impact on people playing Narai, with the dedicated, skilled to perfection community pretty much wiped completly. They are just gone. So even if you still like to play Narai, keep in mind, that a) its going to be hard to find people to play with you outside of the weekly rotation and b) the people left playing it might not be the best. If you however have a group of guys, that still play Narai, you can ignore it.

 

Then Nelson for randoms: Cita is huge. With T7 matchmaking what it is right now, you will see high tiers a lot. Means: you get overmatched quite often. WGs focus on huge calibres in recent times doent help Nelson either. And then there is her speed. Everything is running circles around you, especially when you are low tier.

 

Honestly: Nelson was superb when released. nice matchmaking (T7 was said to be the sweetspot of the game), nice guns, super heal. This has all been powercrepd. Another port queen for me, I dont pick Nelson when im playing a T7 BB in randoms these days.

  • Cool 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
9,805 posts
11,484 battles
8 minutes ago, ForlornSailor said:

 

I disagree. Top pick for Narai BB-wise is the Scharnhorst. Gneisenau and Sinop are well ahead of Nelson aswell.

 

But before getting into that: Unless you just like to play Narai for the sake of ... well... playing it - its not worth it anymore to dedicate a ship for it. Farming is not worth it. It does have a huge impact on people playing Narai, with the dedicated, skilled to perfection community pretty much wiped completly. They are just gone. So even if you still like to play Narai, keep in mind, that a) its going to be hard to find people to play with you outside of the weekly rotation and b) the people left playing it might not be the best. If you however have a group of guys, that still play Narai, you can ignore it.

 

Then Nelson for randoms: Cita is huge. With T7 matchmaking what it is right now, you will see high tiers a lot. Means: you get overmatched quite often. WGs focus on huge calibres in recent times doent help Nelson either. And then there is her speed. Everything is running circles around you, especially when you are low tier.

 

Honestly: Nelson was superb when released. nice matchmaking (T7 was said to be the sweetspot of the game), nice guns, super heal. This has all been powercrepd. Another port queen for me, I dont pick Nelson when im playing a T7 BB in randoms these days.

Scharn I find tad undergunned for Narai, lacking accuracy, overmatch against BBs and very short AP fuse makes scoring cits... Unreliable. Secondaries are gucci though after pen buff.

 

Nelson cit is huge, but again, only bow and stern are overmatchable unless you just have habit of bumping into Musashis all the time. If you want sad prem BB for randoms, try DoY :cap_old:

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[OZYR]
[OZYR]
Players
719 posts
12,425 battles

Thank you ALL for your VERY insightful advices!!.

      I'm most and foremost a team player and that's how I actually see this game worth playing.For example I got the Hindy right around Christmas, but after a few games I realised that..... I wasn't prepared for T X sooo.., in order to not "spoil" others fun, I abstained playing it until march. I pretty much FXp ed the whole line on the Nurnberg ( I know)... with high hopes for Roon, (ouch....) so now I have a 19 point capt on it( yep, also on the Hindy) That being said I'm picky about some particularities of certain ships ( like I really HATE slow traverses, Pensa!! ,Yock and others lol)

  That's changed significantly for example now I kinda grind many lines( US, RM, MN, RN Ca lines) lines that before I would not touch( French ouch....)

Still not very fond of IJN, buut lately I took the ARP Myoko for some Narai runs and lo and behold.....it can do alot of things ofc within its limits :) Anyway,  I put a rule that until get the hang of a ship, I would not take it for PvP battles ( hear me Moskva). 

  I learned MUCH in Operations about ships,  their limits and capabilities ( Leander in KW taking care alone of the Northern group!! or Algerie with its speed boost ideal for hunting the transports, Schors, Helena absolute monsters lobbing shells into the bay area over the island (Narai)). Also I trained my capt in those OPs (every ship in the RU and USN Cl lines have full pre rework IFHE builds up to and including T9, all the RN Cl's have RPF)

 

 Yes the economical part is kinda important :) (from Christmas until now I was on premium...as a p2f player!!) coz until recently I didn't really used signals (only for grinds). I had the view that a good capt is a good capt regardless of them :). Now that I started to use them regularly its a different play/game  altogether. I didn't realised how MUCH they help.

   Well, about the "state of the game" yep, it could be interesting, so to speak. Sinops going for the Cv or transports( Narai).....and...other niceties..:)

And no I didn't play Ops, in other form than the weekly rotation.

 Again, I'm not really a BB guy ( although sometimes I take the Bismarck for a spin, with its not yet full sec build)  cruiser main I will remain :) but.....I'm not a dd guy either (Cv's!!) and still have some dd's (Mahan, Leb Maas, Blyska, Aigle, Ashnan, Guepard, ...Skane I didn't sell it.... yet) and I do sometimes play them) The different perspective I find quite ...useful and helpful. 

 

   That's being said I'm probably  get the Nelsol :) (I don't have an RN "trainer")  Besides that, we music related guys, name this GAS (Gear Acquisition Syndrome, lol) I also have the Tatra, which I never play, but.....hey its K u K, so for me its kinda mandatory to have her in the port with her flag :) I have 180K on the Schors, 50K on the Donskoi....I will play her, if I must...so I can just push the button(s).

 

Again, thank you very much for all the good advices. Gotta love this helpful community! (hear me WEEGEE?) 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[JRM]
Players
6,236 posts
24,058 battles

Donkey is no chore BUT you need to build her with rudder in slot 5 and wiggle, dont go for IFHE just use fire starting to torment BBs and your native pen can handle cruisers...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
9,805 posts
11,484 battles
48 minutes ago, Andrewbassg said:

Thank you ALL for your VERY insightful advices!!.

      I'm most and foremost a team player and that's how I actually see this game worth playing.For example I got the Hindy right around Christmas, but after a few games I realised that..... I wasn't prepared for T X sooo.., in order to not "spoil" others fun, I abstained playing it until march. I pretty much FXp ed the whole line on the Nurnberg ( I know)... with high hopes for Roon, (ouch....) so now I have a 19 point capt on it( yep, also on the Hindy) That being said I'm picky about some particularities of certain ships ( like I really HATE slow traverses, Pensa!! ,Yock and others lol)

  That's changed significantly for example now I kinda grind many lines( US, RM, MN, RN Ca lines) lines that before I would not touch( French ouch....)

Still not very fond of IJN, buut lately I took the ARP Myoko for some Narai runs and lo and behold.....it can do alot of things ofc within its limits :) Anyway,  I put a rule that until get the hang of a ship, I would not take it for PvP battles ( hear me Moskva). 

  I learned MUCH in Operations about ships,  their limits and capabilities ( Leander in KW taking care alone of the Northern group!! or Algerie with its speed boost ideal for hunting the transports, Schors, Helena absolute monsters lobbing shells into the bay area over the island (Narai)). Also I trained my capt in those OPs (every ship in the RU and USN Cl lines have full pre rework IFHE builds up to and including T9, all the RN Cl's have RPF)

 

 Yes the economical part is kinda important :) (from Christmas until now I was on premium...as a p2f player!!) coz until recently I didn't really used signals (only for grinds). I had the view that a good capt is a good capt regardless of them :). Now that I started to use them regularly its a different play/game  altogether. I didn't realised how MUCH they help.

   Well, about the "state of the game" yep, it could be interesting, so to speak. Sinops going for the Cv or transports( Narai).....and...other niceties..:)

And no I didn't play Ops, in other form than the weekly rotation.

 Again, I'm not really a BB guy ( although sometimes I take the Bismarck for a spin, with its not yet full sec build)  cruiser main I will remain :) but.....I'm not a dd guy either (Cv's!!) and still have some dd's (Mahan, Leb Maas, Blyska, Aigle, Ashnan, Guepard, ...Skane I didn't sell it.... yet) and I do sometimes play them) The different perspective I find quite ...useful and helpful. 

 

   That's being said I'm probably  get the Nelsol :) (I don't have an RN "trainer")  Besides that, we music related guys, name this GAS (Gear Acquisition Syndrome, lol) I also have the Tatra, which I never play, but.....hey its K u K, so for me its kinda mandatory to have her in the port with her flag :) I have 180K on the Schors, 50K on the Donskoi....I will play her, if I must...so I can just push the button(s).

 

Again, thank you very much for all the good advices. Gotta love this helpful community! (hear me WEEGEE?) 

 

 

 

Unfortunately, there are very few players considerate enough to "not spoil fun of others at hightiers", thus hightier gameplay is reaching new and exciting depths, long thought to be unreachable in terms of player quality, as WG focusing all their efforts on T9+ content simply to maximize gains.

 

Such focus on hightiers also makes mid tiers... considerably not fun with constant uptiering on top of already existing issues (26mm plating on T6-7 BBs against 380+ guns, artificial penetration limit on IFHE, rendering T7 CLs very unfun when uptiered, concealment gap between T7 and T8 destroyers)

 

From economy standpoint, there is no point of going after Nelson, as T9 Freemiums will net you much more credits on top of being much more pleasant ships to play, more often than not being able to go toe to toe with tier 10s

 

Also, with concept of Elite Exp there no longer need for dedicated "trainers" - just put 19lv captain on ship you like to play and any exp gained with him, can be used to train and retrain new captains of all nations. So, from efficiency standpoint, buying one (hightier, preferably T9 due to better camouflage bonuses) premium to grind your soul out is better than fleet of midtiers of various nations.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Beta Tester
907 posts
9,134 battles
7 hours ago, Yoshanai said:

Get her if you really like playing BBs. 

But be reminded that she is defenseless against CVs. 

Like... Really vulnerable. 

Nice joke. All cruisers in the game are defensless aghainst CV's.

 

I suggest getting the Moskva by playing the Donskoy as much has possible, the save up free xp if you still want a squishy T7 battleship.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[XTREM]
Players
3,598 posts
10,810 battles
Vor 2 Minuten, Sturmtiger_304 sagte:

Nice joke. All cruisers in the game are defensless aghainst CV's.

 

I suggest getting the Moskva by playing the Donskoy as much has possible, the save up free xp if you still want a squishy T7 battleship.

Excuse me I don't quite see me making any joke? 

I just said that Nelson is vulnerable where did I talk about cruisers? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[OZYR]
[OZYR]
Players
719 posts
12,425 battles
27 minutes ago, Yedwy said:

Donkey is no chore BUT you need to build her with rudder in slot 5 and wiggle, dont go for IFHE just use fire starting to torment BBs and your native pen can handle cruisers...

Oh yeah. To me cruiser= kite= must.Its life. Nurnberg taught me well. I actually have rudder in slot 4 and 5. 6 is reload.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
9,805 posts
11,484 battles
1 minute ago, Andrewbassg said:

Oh yeah. To me cruiser= kite= must.Its life. Nurnberg taught me well. I actually have rudder in slot 4 and 5. 6 is reload.  

With hightier cruisers whom turning radius can be measured in kilometers for short, I've found Propulsion Mod to work best and focus on WS part of WSAD hax.

 

You can combine both for maximum memes though

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Beta Tester
907 posts
9,134 battles
2 minutes ago, Yoshanai said:

Excuse me I don't quite see me making any joke? 

I just said that Nelson is vulnerable where did I talk about cruisers? 

Yea my bad, let me re-write the sentence over again.

 

Nice joke. All ships in the game are defenseless against CV's.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sign in to follow this  

×