You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Ocsimano18

CV games with Halland are unfun

173 comments in this topic

Players
1,411 posts
6,642 battles
Just now, Verblonde said:

If you'll forgive a complete lack of tact:

image.png.3283fd5daf932a383f8cbee7c6ba9b23.png

How is this any different to the sort of situation any DD with poor AA (i.e. the majority) faces when facing CVs?

It's about CAP control. The CV against a high AA DD loses its influence in CAP control. A DD with low AA can still wait till the CV looks for someone else, most of the time. For instance, Mr. Gibbins played like 7-8 DD matches against CVs yesterday, and he only had issues with the CV in one case.

• Funny 1
  • Bad 4

[TNEMP]
Players
279 posts
2,465 battles

You have to try to adapt to that meta change then, play more cautiously if you are unsure if Halland is nearby. You can still do plenty of work through spotting or dropping other ships.

Whatdoes bother me a little however is the stealth-DFAA, where a DD with low air detection lets you fly very close, activates DFAA and sector and then evaporates the whole squad without you seeing it coming. Its annoying when a minotaur or worcester does it, but you can somehow prepare for that since their air detection is higher. Its kind of like a reverse stealth radar (which was nerfed).

• Cool 3
  • Funny 1

[CATS]
Players
26,103 posts
14,098 battles
17 minutes ago, Ocsimano18 said:

CVs were adjusted to have low alpha damage to balance out the low AA. Now we have a high AA ship which completely upsets the balance. In the RTS time we had ships with such an AA level, but you had the high alpha to counter the situation. If one side has one or two Hallands more than the other, then basically the game is decided before the battle starts.

Then evade her.

It is not like you are facing 12 Hallands every time...

• Cool 3

Players
1,619 posts
18,174 battles

You can still help spot her for your team to damage, that's why it doesn't have smoke, this is a team game after all. 

• Cool 6

Players
77 posts
1,978 battles

CVs are still overpowered as hell. The fact there are ships who can counter them is not the end of times. A Fiji can easily eat a third of her HP from a single rocket attack without any means of defending herself. Atlanta with focused Sector and DefAA up cannot defend herself from a Tier VIII CV attack. A ship that just screams AA Monster. Furthermore, those AA DDs do not have Smoke, thus making them extremely vulnerable to a decent team.

• Cool 7
  • Bad 1

Players
1,794 posts
12,561 battles
14 minutes ago, Ocsimano18 said:

It's about CAP control. The CV against a high AA DD loses its influence in CAP control. A DD with low AA can still wait till the CV looks for someone else, most of the time. For instance, Mr. Gibbins played like 7-8 DD matches against CVs yesterday, and he only had issues with the CV in one case.

That you think a CV should control the CAPs is insightful in its own right, and it should tell you anything you need to know about what's wrong with CVs rather than Halland, a DD that has neither smoke nor hydro.

Not that Halland will stop a good CV player from removing her from the CAP, temporarily or for good.

Who is Mr. Gibbins anyway?

• Cool 9

[LSCA]
Players
1,046 posts
9,014 battles
1 minute ago, Taliesn said:

Mr. Gibbins is CC who stream at twitch

• Cool 3

Players
1,497 posts
11,195 battles
24 minutes ago, Ocsimano18 said:

You know how it works. Just dodge (AA). Learn to adapt. Just stay with the fleet with your planes that they can protect your planes from this evil DD AA. If all fails: if you can't kill 'em, join 'em.

On a serious note. A CV complaining about the AA of a DD is probably the most hilarious thing that is related to WoWs that i have read in months.

• Cool 4
  • Funny 20

Players
1,411 posts
6,642 battles
2 minutes ago, ThePurpleSmurf said:

You know how it works. Just dodge (AA). Learn to adapt. Just stay with the fleet with your planes that they can protect your planes from this evil DD AA. If all fails: if you can't kill 'em, join 'em.

On a serious note. A CV complaining about the AA of a DD is probably the most hilarious thing that is related to WoWs that i have read in months.

During the CV rework beta, high AA DDs, and other ships were tested and dropped, as it it made the gameplay unfun. The solution was to have low alpha CVs and low AA. 

18 minutes ago, lovelacebeer said:

You can still help spot her for your team to damage, that's why it doesn't have smoke, this is a team game after all. 

I tried to spot one with torpedo bombers as they last longer. The team completely ignored the spotted DD, I lost my torpedo bombers, without doing any damage.

5 minutes ago, ThePurpleSmurf said:

Probably because you don'y play high tier CVs. I play maybe one CV games per ten (I played much more with RTS CVs). I see no reason to make the game more unbalanced, even if it's a CV.

20 minutes ago, Taliesn said:

That you think a CV should control the CAPs is insightful in its own right, and it should tell you anything you need to know about what's wrong with CVs rather than Halland

I play for CAP control with all classes. I shot DDs, even with BBs.

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1

Players
1,411 posts
6,642 battles
24 minutes ago, Taliesn said:

Third most watched streamer after Flamu and Flambass. He plays all classes including CVs.

Beta Tester
3,159 posts
3,608 battles

Assuming that this is not a troll thread, I shall endeavour to give a serious reply.

16 hours ago, Ocsimano18 said:

CVs were adjusted to have low alpha damage to balance out the low AA. Now we have a high AA ship which completely upsets the balance. In the RTS time we had ships with such an AA level, but you had the high alpha to counter the situation. If one side has one or two Hallands more than the other, then basically the game is decided before the battle starts.

There is no way that a Halland destroyer can dish out enough AA to make a carrier irrelevant in a given sector. He can decimate a squadron, or even - with a bit of flak burst love - wipe it from the sky, but as we all know, getting a plane squadron wiped out is no more than a passing annoyance to the CV captain. A new squad will be off the deck in seconds, armed with foreknowledge of exactly where to find or avoid the destroyer as its commander sees fit.

16 hours ago, Ocsimano18 said:

It's about CAP control. The CV against a high AA DD loses its influence in CAP control. A DD with low AA can still wait till the CV looks for someone else, most of the time. 

A Halland that is spotted by planes in the cap zone, will be immediately targeted by any and all enemy ships that are within shooting distance. Unlike most other destroyers the Halland cannot hide in smoke, but can only hope to be able to dodge the rain of fire until such time as he has - hopefully - managed to shoot down the entire plane squadron. Retaining cap control under these circumstances is exciting, but somewhat challenging.

In more general terms, I would say that games with CV:s in them will be decided by the skill levels of the respective CV players far more often than by the presence of a Halland destroyer, or indeed of any other ship with a strong AA armament.

In other words, the real problem here is not what kind of influence an AA-strong ship may have on the outcome of a battle by countering the carrier, but the disproportional influence that carriers tend to have, as a ship class, in all battles where they appear.

• Cool 15

Players
2,878 posts
16,265 battles
1 hour ago, Ocsimano18 said:

CVs were adjusted to have low alpha damage to balance out the low AA. Now we have a high  balanced AA ship which completely upsets the balance. In the RTS time we had ships with such an AA level, but you had the high alpha to counter the situation. If one side has one or two Hallands more than the other, then basically the game is decided before the battle starts.

Fixed for you.  CV vs DD is the most broken interaction in the game. To suggest anything else....

NOT SURE IF SERIOUS OR TROLLING - Memebase - Funny Memes

• Cool 6

Players
1,411 posts
6,642 battles
5 minutes ago, Procrastes said:

In other words, the main problem here is not what kind of influence an AA-strong ship may have on the outcome of a battle by countering the carrier, but the disproportional influence that carriers tend to have, as a ship class, in all battles where they appear.

Yes, but if one side has no, or less Hallands, then their CV effectiveness is reduced, say by 50%, while the other team's CV has 100% influence. That's unbalanced.

• Cool 1
  • Funny 2

Players
60 posts
353 battles
1 minute ago, Ocsimano18 said:

Yes, but if one side has no, or less Hallands, then their CV effectiveness is reduced, say by 50%, while the other team's CV has 100% influence. That's unbalanced.

Soo what about DDs who have no smoke and no AA (French DDs)?

Is it ok that they're game is ruined by a floating plane factory??

• Cool 9
  • Funny 1

Players
4,441 posts
7,600 battles
6 minutes ago, Ocsimano18 said:

Boost all DD AA then.

• Cool 7

Players
1,411 posts
6,642 battles
1 minute ago, Amazing07 said:

Soo what about DDs who have no smoke and no AA (French DDs)?

Is it ok that they're game is ruined by a floating plane factory??

I'm not saying that Halland is the only AA unbalanced ship. I have no idea how a Kleber player can deal with CVs, as I don't have a Kleber.

7 minutes ago, GulvkluderGuld said:

Fixed for you.  CV vs DD is the most broken interaction in the game. To suggest anything else....

If there were no CVs, then DDs would be the most annoying class. So...

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1
  • Boring 1

Players
1,411 posts
6,642 battles
2 minutes ago, Capra76 said:

Boost all DD AA then.

Only if you boost CV alpha at the same time. We had that in RTS times. People were complaining about it, that's why we had the low AA low alpha solution.

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1

Players
60 posts
353 battles
Just now, Ocsimano18 said:

If there were no CVs, then DDs would be the most annoying class. So...

Annoying, true, but still balanced. torps can be dodged and radar exists, so the counterplay is not RNG based AA.

• Cool 6

Players
60 posts
353 battles
1 minute ago, Ocsimano18 said:

Only if you boost CV alpha at the same time. We had that in RTS times. People were complaining about it, that's why we had the low AA low alpha solution.

Soo CVs should get good-great alpha damage all whilst having an infinite supply of planes that can spot DDs without risking the CVs hull..?

• Funny 2

Players
6,759 posts
245 battles
Just now, Ocsimano18 said:

Only if you boost CV alpha at the same time. We had that in RTS times. People were complained about it, that's why we had the low AA low alpha solution.

Id rather not turning el2azer into a 12 players in one person.

nor do i want yoshanai screeching and trolling everyone.

or miragetank making smug faces while bombing peeps.

'w'