You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
AbashedLemming

Blind Fire When In Smoke

28 comments in this topic

Players
86 posts

So I was just killed while in smoke by someone who hit with every single shot they fired. I was undetected and moving both forwards and backwards as I fired at him. Now we have all had lucky hits while on the other side of that equation, but he hit every single salvo. Now he said he could see where I was from firing. I understand that you can see muzzle flashes, but is it really possible to shoot at someone moving in smoke and hit with every single shot. Not just get lucky but actually target them as if they were not in smoke. And if so how do you do that?

I should add that this is the first time that has ever happened to me. I have been hit occasionaly in smoke but never hit by every single salvo as though I was a slow moving target not in smoke.

[OHFK]
Players
406 posts
9,836 battles

It would help if you mentioned which ship you and he were playing since a spotter plane makes it fairly easy to aim for the muzzle flashes inside the smoke and get decent hit ratio. 

Players
350 posts
5,465 battles
27 minutes ago, AbashedLemming said:

but is it really possible to shoot at someone moving in smoke and hit with every single shot. Not just get lucky but actually target them as if they were not in smoke. And if so how do you do that?

It depends a lot on the type of ship within the smoke.

[LAFIE]
Beta Tester
5,741 posts
6,296 battles

In addition, and please correct me if I am mis remembering, but can't you also see if your shells landed or not if you watch them land? 

Players
86 posts

I was in a mino and he was in a hindenburg, pretty sure he did not have an aircraft in the air but not 100 percent about that. But i was absolutely not spotted and I was moving.

Players
350 posts
5,465 battles
11 minutes ago, AbashedLemming said:

I was in a mino and he was in a hindenburg, pretty sure he did not have an aircraft in the air but not 100 percent about that. But i was absolutely not spotted and I was moving.

Moving slowly inside smoke wont help much in mino . That works with dds however not mino. mino is a huge target .

• Cool 6

[LEEUW]
Players
2,946 posts
10,579 battles
23 minutes ago, AbashedLemming said:

Mino is basically constantly vomiting shells and by doing so constantly transmitting its position within to smoke to anyone watching the smoke. Mino also happens to be one of the, if not THE, easiest target to hit within smoke with its gigantic citadel.

• Cool 8

[1FA]
Players
418 posts
18,649 battles

Were you spotted by an enemy just before you smoked yourself? Because your "last known position" icon on the enemy minimap actualy helps a lot when targeting you in the smoke. If you only move forward and backward that icon plus the muzzle flashes together give your exact position.

[1FA]
Players
418 posts
18,649 battles

Also as already said by others, Minotaur is pretty easy target to hit heavily. I still remember my very first battle in Yamato almost two years ago when I devstriked two enemy Minotaurs inside their smokescreens.

[ADRIA]
Players
314 posts
10,685 battles

If you get hit consistently in smoke, stop firing and relocate.

Players
750 posts
7,530 battles

Not to keep beating the proverbial dead horse, but I wanted to also say,

I am pretty mediocre, but I consistently hit Minotaurs in smoke. It doesn't matter if they move, because of a. big ship and b. insane rate of fire, which constantly advertises angle, movement and position.

If you're getting hit while smoked up, go silent, reposition and try again.

Edit: Watch flamu's video on how to hit things in smoke. Made me a 10% better player and might help you counter.

Edited by Bindolaf_Werebane
Addendum.
  • Cool 1

[S-O-M]
Players
657 posts

Smoked ships are vulnerable because people in smoke think they are safe, Mino is very easy to citadel/ dev strike in smoke,  when I had mine I preferred Radar,  Hindenburgs guns can get very hard (I’ve citadelled BBs in mine), and have been done myself (exactly like you), about a year ago, hitting and killing someone in smoke is actually fairly easy, even if they are moving, especially if you have a spotter plane, in smoke; move back and forth randomly, chain fire randomly, have an exit, and don’t stay in smoke long,  if your the one out of smoke ; notice where the gun flashes are and aim in the middle of the flashes and slight below, this doesn’t work against all ships but I’ve reliably hit and killed DD’s and Cruisers in smoke.

Players
2,463 posts

It isn't difficult to hit a target who is in the smoke either with main guns or torpedoes.... smoke is for escaping or covering a targeted ally..

Players
15 posts
6,488 battles

The main thing is as well, were you broadside? If so you gave the biggest chance to be hit which makes aiming easy and even if you are moving by going forwards and backwards you arnt making yourself harder to hit. If you angled yourself in the smoke then going forwards and backwards not only moves your positioning left to right, but also forwards to backwards making it much more awkward to hit and mitigating damage when you are hit. 

[JRM]
[JRM]
Players
7,615 posts

Now there is a world of difference between him hitting with EVERY shell and simply just hitting you A LOT as the latter is quite normal for a Mino firing from smoke esp if you used continuous fire and former would be VERY strange indeed as its nigh impossible to land ALL shots on target in this game even when target is very close and spotted due to RNG...

How many shells from each salvo (roughly) hit you and from what distance? Did every salvo hit or did he have some missing?

[-SBF-]
[-SBF-]
Alpha Tester, Players, In AlfaTesters
746 posts
15,064 battles
6 hours ago, lafeel said:

In addition, and please correct me if I am mis remembering, but can't you also see if your shells landed or not if you watch them land? 

Indeed, i managed to kill a Friesland with my Wooster like that. He was not firing, but i kept seeing the impact of my shells so i could see him move. It was close range maybe that made it easier.

[BONUS]
[BONUS]
Beta Tester
3,097 posts
11,677 battles

I'm surprised no one else has asked for a replay yet.

[AMOK]
Players
1,966 posts
8,723 battles
Vor 1 Minute, Hedgehog1963 sagte:

I'm surprised no one else has asked for a reply yet.

Maybe because devastating a Mino in smoke isn't that hard to achieve especially with a Hindenburg. Mino loves Hinden AP :Smile_veryhappy: And since OP isn't claiming cheats everything is fine here^^

[CHEFT]
Players
12,400 posts
9,841 battles
6 hours ago, AbashedLemming said:

You can hit smoke ships with/without spotter plane. Hindenburg vs Mino is very easy, as you have a 12 salvo broadside with decent reload.

Also you can use other ships as lockon to shoot undetected ships for better dispersion. Here one example for that

image.thumb.png.d7d2bfe33949ba3827f0b4e647f6fa80.png

Thats for a special gamemode from last year. Norma is a Minotaur. I killed it with a blindshot, using the ship further behind for better dispersion.

Ive killed moving ships in smoke that werent even shooting :cap_haloween:

• Cool 1

Players
86 posts

Thanks for the replies and the videos. You learn something new everyday. I've been hit in smoke before, who hasn't, just never so consistantly which was what surprised me.

To be clear, I wasn't accusing him of cheating just looking for info.

Now I'm off to find some ships in smoke to practice what I  have learned.

• Cool 5

[BBMM]
Players
6,748 posts
9,556 battles
3 hours ago, AbashedLemming said:

Thanks for the replies and the videos. You learn something new everyday. I've been hit in smoke before, who hasn't, just never so consistantly which was what surprised me.

To be clear, I wasn't accusing him of cheating just looking for info.

Now I'm off to find some ships in smoke to practice what I  have learned.

Remember it will not work that much on a Smolensk in smoke. 

That thing has so quick firing the tracers usually do not point at the ship. 

Also, it doesn't eat citadels as bad as a Mino. 

That said it is a lot slower to get going/steering so it does like eating torps.

[BBMM]
Players
6,748 posts
9,556 battles
11 minutes ago, Bratoev said:

:) Play the Mino with radar and experience a true rebirth.

I guess for a rebirth you first have to die...

Have seen very few people pull off radar Mino. 

[CHT]
Players
6 posts
3,269 battles

I’m terrible and have np smoke firing at folk. If it’s a mino or Smolensk then I lick my lips, I mean it’s not very hard in a small smoke to hit a big arse ship like that.

I tell my mino driving friend this every night, after he inevitably dies in his smoke either from torps or artillery fire for the 3728272525th time.

[S-O-M]
Players
657 posts
4 hours ago, Bratoev said:

:) Play the Mino with radar and experience a true rebirth.

I had a higher WR and PR with Radar than smoke Mino, just division or tag along with a friendly DD, a Gearing’s a good choice and radar away, it’s the ultimate DD Hunter.  When a BB or Hindenburg are about tread carefully.