You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Seargent_Nigel

Why is Seattle in game?

52 comments in this topic

Players
132 posts
13,298 battles

Can someone please tell me why is there a Seattle in the game at T9? - or in the game at all for that matter.

It must have some redeeming features but I have yet to discover them? - please enlighten me.

Its not fast

Its slow firing

No armour to call anything

Damage dealt is pathetic

Its got Radar but if you use it , it means that you'll also soon be spotted as its detection rate is also hopeless, soon as your spotted your a goner.

[NWP]
Players
2,630 posts
16,253 battles

For you to spend money on to free XP to Wooster

• Cool 6
  • Funny 6

[-SBF-]
[-SBF-]
Alpha Tester, Players, In AlfaTesters
717 posts
13,872 battles

Well, you did 27k average damage with the Cleveland, and 35k with Seatle. It seems all to be in line of what to be expected.

• Cool 2
  • Funny 4

[XTREM]
Players
3,634 posts
10,837 battles

Seattle is a tier9 cruiser of the US light cruiser line. 

As all other t9 ships in all of the nations tech trees it is the last step before reaching t10. 

Seattle is in the game to fill that spot. 

• Cool 2
  • Funny 3

Players
132 posts
13,298 battles

I can appreciate that and I'm probably not playing it very well - but what I am asking is why is there such a ship with poor stats at T9? - surely it belongs at a lot lower tier just on its stats alone - never mine how poorly I may play it.

Even when you come up against a T7 dd, the dd can generally annihilate it.

• Funny 1

[XTREM]
Players
3,634 posts
10,837 battles
Vor 1 Minute, Seargent_Nigel sagte:

There might be a problem with the way you play her then. 

If you need help ask for advice directly by showing us a replay of one of your games. 

Players
2,569 posts
11,389 battles

I played through it with double rudder shift mods and the range mod and it worked out ok for me.

It's probably how you play I guess. If a T7 DD can kill you in a tier 9 CL with hydro and radar either you potatoed or you're playing it very wrong. 

Players
132 posts
13,298 battles

I probably do perhaps play her wrong - I'm not really wanting help on how to play her, just want to know why has WG put a ship i.e. the Seattle at T9 when she has such poor stats?

[THESO]
Beta Tester
1,828 posts
11,555 battles
2 minutes ago, Seargent_Nigel said:

I probably do perhaps play her wrong - I'm not really wanting help on how to play her, just want to know why has WG put a ship i.e. the Seattle at T9 when she has such poor stats?

You have poor stats, the ship is fine. 

• Cool 2

[-SBF-]
[-SBF-]
Alpha Tester, Players, In AlfaTesters
717 posts
13,872 battles
6 minutes ago, Seargent_Nigel said:

I can appreciate that and I'm probably not playing it very well - but what I am asking is why is there such a ship with poor stats at T9? - surely it belongs at a lot lower tier just on its stats alone - never mine how poorly I may play it.

Its not an easy line to play. They can decide matches, but dont go for high damage numbers by spamming BBs. I used them as DD hunters, because they have a neat feature: the moment you get spotted, you pop radar and have a DD spotted. Then, hydro to protect you from torps, and AA to help teammates.

I think i saw a list a few days ago, about unicum players top ships, and the Wooster was on top of that list. These ships decide matches, but it takes a lot of hard work. 

I think it was also one of the few ships that benefit from IFHE, did you take that?

Players
2,569 posts
11,389 battles

No one here can really answer that question except for WG.

I mean back when Karlsruhe just came out, I always wondered why such a ship existed in game. The Emerald as well. Those things were so, so, sooooooo bad. And this is coming from a guy who enjoyed playing the furry taco before it was buffed and the tier 7 Pensacola. 

• Cool 1

Players
132 posts
13,298 battles

Oh forget it your missing the point of my question, wish I'd not asked!

Thanks to those that answer sensibly and understand the question anyhow.

1 minute ago, kfa said:

You have poor stats, the ship is fine. 

[SHAFT]
Players
9,480 posts
8,832 battles
4 minutes ago, Seargent_Nigel said:

37 minutes ago, Seargent_Nigel said:

Its not fast

Its slow firing

Damage dealt is pathetic 

1. Same speed as Buffalo, only 0,5kts slower than Neptune which is also a CL. Or faster than Roon (i think, wiki wont load the Roon, but since Hipper and Hindenburg are both slower...)

2. 6,5 sec reload is 2nd fastest on T9, only Neptune is faster, and it has AP only.

3. Compared to Neptune, armor is much better. Not that much behind compared to CAs on the same tier, and we have so many BBs with big caliber guns that it doesnt matter much.

4. That is not a problem with the ship - skill IFHE then it works better.

THe biggest problem Seattle has, that its not a big improvement over Cleveland, but with horrible turret angles.

• Cool 6

[STARS]
[STARS]
Beta Tester
154 posts
16,177 battles

The Buffalo is even worse. You should be able to know how to play it when you progressed through the USN CL line. 

[TIPC]
Players
445 posts
20,015 battles
56 minutes ago, Seargent_Nigel said:

Can someone please tell me why is there a Seattle in the game at T9? - or in the game at all for that matter.

It must have some redeeming features but I have yet to discover them? - please enlighten me.

Its not fast

Its slow firing

Damage dealt is pathetic

Its got Radar but if you use it , it means that you'll also soon be spotted as its detection rate is also hopeless, soon as your spotted your a goner.

put ifhe...load all the fire chance flags.. take all the concilments..AND GRAB AN ISLAND. (not the beer the pixel one)

[THESO]
Beta Tester
1,828 posts
11,555 battles
12 minutes ago, DFens_666 said:

THe biggest problem Seattle has, that its not a big improvement over Cleveland, but with horrible turret angles.

Yup it has almost the same firepower as Cleve while shooting at exclusively T10 and has to give flat broadside to have any meaningful DPM. 

Hated that thing. 

• Cool 1

[-TPF-]
Players
3,824 posts
15,728 battles
55 minutes ago, Seargent_Nigel said:

It was alright at the time they launched it, but now it's a slightly underpowered Tier VIII+ light cruiser with no torpedoes in a meta of Tier IX Coal BBs with 18 inch guns and Tier IX Super Cruisers with bigger guns and more armour and Tier IX DDs which do 50 knots and have all the dakka in the world. Probably not that much fun. You'll be wanting a Smolensk, old chap. If you can't beat them, join them....

Players
566 posts
1 hour ago, Seargent_Nigel said:

They had to invent a Fat-Cleveland when the USN cruiser tree got the light/heavy split in summer of 2018.

Like most of the tier 9 techtree ships, just free-exp it.

T9 spot used to belong to Baltimore and New Orleans was in T8. :fish_panic:

[CATS]
Players
26,133 posts
14,103 battles
46 minutes ago, Seargent_Nigel said:

:Smile_facepalm:

Despite agreeing on the possibility that you play her wrong, you do not want help and instead blame the ship?

The pinnacle of ignorance!

Both US ships perform completly average btw, there is nothing wrong with them:

image.thumb.png.b64e40d1756e88582d1f751aafbf3908.png

http://maplesyrup.sweet.coocan.jp/wows/ranking/20200418/eu_2month/average_ship_u.html

• Bad 1

[NSVE]
[NSVE]
Players
405 posts
12,015 battles

Its not fast

Its slow firing

Damage dealt is pathetic

Are you sure it's slow firing? I got mine down to 5.7s...

Seattle.png

[NCDF]
Players
137 posts
4,582 battles

To be fair, seatle is pretty bad, especially right after you unlocked it from grinding the cleveland. Because it's not rally any better then Cleveland... All it got is 6k more health and a heal, but you get worse firing angles, bigger ship, bigger citadel, worse handling...

But then, is there really any ship at T9 that is a real improvemend over it's T8 part?

[THESO]
Beta Tester
1,828 posts
11,555 battles
1 minute ago, Echo_519 said:

To be fair, seatle is pretty bad, especially right after you unlocked it from grinding the cleveland. Because it's not rally any better then Cleveland... All it got is 6k more health and a heal, but you get worse firing angles, bigger ship, bigger citadel, worse handling...

But then, is there really any ship at T9 that is a real improvemend over it's T8 part?

Kitakaze, Jutland, Chung Mu? 

• Cool 1

Players
2,569 posts
11,389 battles
3 minutes ago, Echo_519 said:

Iowa and Alsacs too :cap_haloween:

[NCDF]
Players
137 posts
4,582 battles
Vor 9 Minuten, kfa sagte:

Kitakaze, Jutland, Chung Mu?

Vor 6 Minuten, pra3y sagte:

Iowa and Alsacs too :cap_haloween:

Guess i'm the only one then that does not really feel the T9's ;)

• Funny 1

[LEEUW]
Players
2,250 posts
10,006 battles

Its not fast

Its slow firing

Damage dealt is pathetic

image.thumb.png.4d64b3ccf267ada5e053890ad7c67efc.png

Then you're just doing it wrong. US CL are among the strongest cruisers out there.

Its strong points:

-Great DPM. (yes, worse angle than cleveland boohoo)

- You're ship is pretty manoeuvrable when you need to kite.

- Good concealment, so you can get in position without getting detected.

- Slow shell speed means you can hug island and still shoot over them like an atlanta.

Your primary role is to deal damage. Preferably to DDs using your radar to spot them. Otherwise to BBs and CAs using your great dpm. Basically everyone that tries to come near you. In order to deal damage you need to stay alive. So play cautious, patient, smart and attentive.

Do's:

- Ambush DDs using terrain, radar, hydro and minimap awareness

- Study the maps and look for islands that are suited for the USA CL line: You can shoot and you can radar but they cannot shoot you.

- rain HE on BBs while behind islands

- rain HE on BBs while kiting them in the open, but only one at a time.

- When youre being targeted by more than 1 ship, go dark because you cannot tank using armor. You tank a single target at a time using the WASD keys.

-  When you find a good spot to sit and you have nothing to shoot at...dont go rushing out to look for targets. You will die. You just wait patiently for when either something gets spotted or when you get confirmation it is safe to move up.

- You play patiently. Get in position first and wait for spotting until you open fire. Open up too soon and BBs will murder you in one shot. Seattle gets better the less targets are alive, so you want to be alive for the end of the match.

- Have I mentioned patience already?

- You play for the caps. There you are most useful.

- Ask for spots and smoke from friendly DDs. This will make your job way easier.

Don'ts:

- Sit still in open water.

- Leave cover when you do not know if there are enemies on the other side.

- Go 1v1 against torpedo ships.

- Never chase ships. Youre shell arcs make it extremely difficult to hit ships that are running away from you.

- Rush BBs. They will most likely overmatch you.

- Reverse slowly out of cover, you will get devastated.

My advised captain build:

image.thumb.png.59ec80314c58e2019d69cd3d30b3f501.png

I use rpf to:
1) hunt enemy DDs. They think a DD is coming towards them only to spot me. Once I am spotted I wait 2 or 3 seconds before I pop radar. Then I catch them turning broadside most of the time. This allows me to do two or three good salvos on them.
2) It gives me a heads up if I'm being flanked. If the closest visible enemy is at 12 km right in front of me, yet rpf is to my right or left, I know a DD is on the flank and needs to be dealt with.
3) if I'm going to a cap I watch closely if it is being capped. Combine this with rpf and my radar range and I can pretty much pinpoint exactly where an enemy DD is and if I can radar him.
I use incoming fire alert to know if bbs are sniping me from long range. (Great in combination with Engine module that makes you accelerate faster)
I do not use super intendent because I rarely use all the radars and heals. The extra heal doesn't heal much HP anyway due to AP dmg taken so it's not worth it in my opinion.

image.png

• Cool 3