You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Thracen

Another cost of test ship secrecy

100 comments in this topic

[DAVY]
Players
525 posts
8,139 battles

So I've just finished a match against a Zarya Sovobo something or other. Tier 9 Soviet BB. I had no idea what I was up against, no clue on armour, or what was shooting at me. I can't ask anyone for next time either because all the info is going to be under NDA. 

So here we are the humble playerbase getting spanked by the unknown. Not a pleasant situation. 

Oh and obviously I can't judge too much about the ship having only faced it once but I from what I experienced I think we've got a tier 9 Slava on the way so let's all look forward to that one! :D

• Cool 3
  • Boring 7
  • Bad 1

[XTREM]
[XTREM]
Players
1,591 posts
13,516 battles

Zarya Svobody is not a secret. It was announced right here on the forums and Reddit, it's a test bed for a tweaked Sovetsky Soyuz. The armour is exactly the same. IIRC it was the guns that were tweaked. 

And the info is not under NDA. You can keep up with the changes on the devblog. It has already been changed at least once. 

https://forum.worldofwarships.eu/topic/132921-st-changes-to-test-ships/?tab=comments#comment-3413496

• Cool 4

[CATS]
Players
26,215 posts
14,119 battles
5 minutes ago, Thracen said:

So I've just finished a match against a Zarya Sovobo  something or other. Tier 9 Soviet BB. I had no idea what I was up against, no clue on armour, or what was shooting at me. I can't ask anyone for next time either because all the info is going to be under NDA. 

So here we are the humble playerbase getting spanked by the unknown. Not a pleasant situation. 

Oh and obviously I can't judge too much about the ship having only faced it once but I from what I experienced I think we've got a tier 9 Slava on the way so let's all look forward to that one! :D

You could read about her on the Devblog....

She is just a Sojus with different dispersion.

• Cool 1

[DAVY]
Players
525 posts
8,139 battles

Turns out I could have. Won't be able to in future though. I have no idea where I got the idea that I wouldn't be able to find information on a test ship. Silly me. 

So how long before this is going to start happening?

[ALONE]
Modder
2,136 posts
13,637 battles
Vor 11 Minuten, Thracen sagte:

Well, there is no total NDA for testships on the liveserver - what has changed is that showing them on stream / vid is not allowed for CCs anymore until the ban is lifted.

Ask in the forum / on discord and some tester (like me) will surely tell you what you want to know about a testship. :Smile_Default:

[XTREM]
[XTREM]
Players
1,591 posts
13,516 battles
6 minutes ago, Thracen said:

Turns out I could have. Won't be able to in future though. I have no idea where I got the idea that I wouldn't be able to find information on a test ship. Silly me. 

Unless I'm mistaken you still will be able to even in future. I think it's mostly the CCs who are affected, in the sense that they can't make videos and thus give opinions on a ship until it's finalised, so people were crying censorship.

Not sure if you saw this, so I'll post it. This is from the Discord QnA: 

Capture.thumb.JPG.157a8d415e95578baa960d03c5daf789.JPG

Again IIRC, it was supposed to come into effect for ships after the German CVs or something. But don't quote me on that. 

[DAVY]
Players
525 posts
8,139 battles

I gotta say, CCs giving me my information on ships was way more useful than me reading stats on a blog since as we all know ships are more that stats. (except wargaming of course and the god spreadsheet). Seeing them in action and getting a quick summary was very useful. 

The fact that they are shutting down CCs and providing info on the forum is because they know very, very few people come here. Either they are degrading the info we get or they are putting it deliberately where less people will see it? Unless I'm missing something?

So to not get blindsided I just have to keep an eye on the dev blog and ask for more info on test ships from super testers there?

• Cool 3

Players
16 posts
34,432 battles
10 minutes ago, Miragetank90 said:

Unless I'm mistaken you still will be able to even in future. I think it's mostly the CCs who are affected, in the sense that they can't make videos and thus give opinions on a ship until it's finalised, so people were crying censorship.

Not sure if you saw this, so I'll post it. This is from the Discord QnA: 

Capture.thumb.JPG.157a8d415e95578baa960d03c5daf789.JPG

Again IIRC, it was supposed to come into effect for ships after the German CVs or something. But don't quote me on that. 

"so people where crying censorship", so just wondering, what you call it? free speach?

[XTREM]
[XTREM]
Players
1,591 posts
13,516 battles
2 minutes ago, Thracen said:

I gotta say, CCs giving me my information on ships was way more useful than me reading stats on a blog since as we all know ships are more that stats. (except wargaming of course and the god spreadsheet). Seeing them in action and getting a quick summary was very useful. 

The fact that they are shutting down CCs and providing info on the forum is because they know very, very few people come here. Either they are degrading the info we get or they are putting it deliberately where less people will see it? Unless I'm missing something?

So to not get blindsided I just have to keep an eye on the dev blog and ask for more info on test ships from super testers there?

Yes, but they are not getting shut down. The main difference is that embargo is being moved forward so it is lifted days in advance of first sale rather than months, or w/e.

After it's lifted, they can still bash the ship or praise it if they want, except now they will be doing it to(ostensibly) a finished product. 

So nothing is being hidden really. If you want to follow the development process of a test ship, you can still do it from the devblog. Either way, it's not necessarily the final release version, you'll still get that in the end from CCs if you like to watch them. 

• Cool 2
  • Boring 1

[XTREM]
[XTREM]
Players
1,591 posts
13,516 battles
2 minutes ago, CarlosMarques said:

"so people where crying censorship", so just wondering, what you call it? free speach?

No, I call it fact? 

People were crying that CCs were being censored. It's a thing that happened. They were upset. 

[DAVY]
Players
525 posts
8,139 battles
7 minutes ago, Miragetank90 said:

Yes, but they are not getting shut down. The main difference is that embargo is being moved forward so it is lifted days in advance of first sale rather than months, or w/e.

After it's lifted, they can still bash the ship or praise it if they want, except now they will be doing it to(ostensibly) a finished product. 

So nothing is being hidden really. If you want to follow the development process of a test ship, you can still do it from the devblog. Either way, it's not necessarily the final release version, you'll still get that in the end from CCs if you like to watch them. 

Ok the logic still follows.

CCs put out the information effectively, wargaming takes that info from them so less people know about the information. If the information was just as widely read on the blog then there would be no point in blacking out the CCs.

I would also argue all the information the CCs add, like how the ship actually plays is now lost. 

God knows it was more convenient to see a new ship in my sub feed than getting slapped at 19km by a Russian BB without Russian guns behaviour!

• Cool 2

Players
16 posts
34,432 battles
2 minutes ago, Miragetank90 said:

No, I call it fact? 

People were crying that CCs were being censored. It's a thing that happened. They were upset. 

CC`s were upset as they should be! as all players should be! balancing new ships with vodka as usual, great (not). "Bash or praise" you say, kinda a simple way to put it, was the cc`s puting some breaks in the "final" version of CV`s rework, Kremlin, Smolensk etc etc etc, if not was the bash part as you call it the game would be by far worst.

• Bad 2

[CATS]
Players
26,215 posts
14,119 battles
19 minutes ago, CarlosMarques said:

Contract conditions.

7 minutes ago, CarlosMarques said:

CC`s were upset as they should be! as all players should be! balancing new ships with vodka as usual, great (not). "Bash or praise" you say, kinda a simple way to put it, was the cc`s puting some breaks in the "final" version of CV`s rework, Kremlin, Smolensk etc etc etc, if not was the bash part as you call it the game would be by far worst.

You mean the 500k flying Shima?

I did not see any breaks in Kremlin and Smolensk before the release either.

Players
331 posts
5,442 battles
Vor 2 Stunden, Miragetank90 sagte:

it was supposed to come into effect for ships after the German CVs or something

It came into affect already, for all testships after the russian crusers(F.D. Roosevelt, Champagne, impero etc). But its only for videos/streams and oppinions, the stats are public.

6,042 posts
10,452 battles
2 hours ago, Thracen said:

CCs put out the information effectively, wargaming takes that info from them so less people know about the information.

Really?

Ok, let's say we have a fictional premium ship that WG wants to release on April 1st.

A few patches earlier it enters testing on the live server (for the sake of breviety let's make it two patches / 8 weeks). This Info is announced on the Dev Blog (so for everyone to see AND talk about). And while CC's are no longer allowed to stream/showcase game play, you will notice that these ships have entered testing.

During this testing period WG changes some stats of the ship. This Info is announced on the Dev Blog (for everyone to see AND talk about). And while CC's are no longer allowed to stream/showcase game play, you will notice when the CC of your choice hovers over the ship and mentiones the changes from the dev blog.

One week (only an assumption on my part)prior to release, the NDA for the CC ends and they can release their videos. For everybody to watch. Not like in previous times where different CC's had different versions of a ship up on YT at the same time so you got confused about the fact if the ship you see is the actual released version or not.

On April 1st the ship gets released.

So ... what changed? Apart from the fact that your favourite CC can no longer put out Preview and iteration 1/2/3/n videos?

• Cool 8
  • Funny 1

Players
2,571 posts
11,389 battles

For all you "this is censorship" people, having an NDA in place is not censorship, on the other hand, something like this:

is what you call censorship, completely curtailing any form of discussion. 

Players
8,116 posts
8,919 battles
16 hours ago, Thracen said:

Given the quality of presentation involved at times, no, you don't necessarily get more out of CCs. 

[THESO]
Beta Tester
1,837 posts
11,594 battles
16 hours ago, MementoMori_6030 said:

I had some champagne today. Has 1 forward gear and 4 backward gears, as it seems.

and slava dispersion formula with 26km range

might be tasty

Players
2,904 posts
14,973 battles
17 hours ago, Thracen said:

Ok the logic still follows.

CCs put out the information effectively, wargaming takes that info from them so less people know about the information. If the information was just as widely read on the blog then there would be no point in blacking out the CCs.

I would also argue all the information the CCs add, like how the ship actually plays is now lost. 

God knows it was more convenient to see a new ship in my sub feed than getting slapped at 19km by a Russian BB without Russian guns behaviour!

The objective is that we haven't enough information, so we buy blindfolded. Some CCs have said that they are not going to test the ships if they are not able to show them to the players. Until this pathetic WG's behavoir finishes, we have blogs like this one that show us detailed info about the ships:

https://www.wows-gamer-blog.com/2020/03/kim-tier-ix-soviet-battleship.html

• Boring 1

Players
6,345 posts
10,574 battles

On the other hand: OP has a point to be fair. There are many people around, that do not want or dont have the time to permanently research about such things. Because you need to look for such info permanently, if you dont want to be surprised. Most of us here are pretty well informed about the game, also because we have been around a long time, we know the release cycles, we watch twitch and thus know which ship comes into testing when etc. But put yourself into the position of someone, who isnt that well connected outside of the game. There would be one way, to stop this: put the info about test ships in the tech tree / client somehow. This not only concerns this case or testships in general but also the ships, that have been gone,f.e. I dont know why I would need to research external sources, to learn about Kutuzuov or Belfast, f.e., but I have to. Again, imagine a new player, singed up in 2020. He meets Kamikaze. He meets Arkansas. Nothing in the game even told him about the existance of these ships. Its wrong.

• Cool 3

[CATS]
Players
26,215 posts
14,119 battles
4 minutes ago, Miblogdegolf said:

The objective is that we haven't enough information, so we buy blindfolded.

Before you can buy anything, the information is there.

Ship parameters are online.

Test videos are published.

• Cool 3

[XTREM]
[XTREM]
Players
1,591 posts
13,516 battles
1 hour ago, Miblogdegolf said:

The objective is that we haven't enough information, so we buy blindfolded. Some CCs have said that they are not going to test the ships if they are not able to show them to the players. Until this pathetic WG's behavoir finishes, we have blogs like this one that show us detailed info about the ships:

https://www.wows-gamer-blog.com/2020/03/kim-tier-ix-soviet-battleship.html

idk how many times this is going to have to be repeated for people to understand. Everything you just said is wrong.

The info will still be there on the devblog. 

CCs will still be able to test the ships, but can only show them to players closer to the release date of said ship. They can still show them to players.

You will still have access to detailed info, if you care enough to want it. If you don't this doesn't affect you.

In any case, you will not be buying blindfolded unless you make it that way. 

What is so hard to comprehend about this?

• Cool 4

[ALONE]
Modder
2,136 posts
13,637 battles
Vor 1 Stunde, kfa sagte:

and slava dispersion formula with 26km range

might be tasty

Already got nerfed.

So, good that there haven't been any sensational videos released with the first testing version. :cap_tea:

[THESO]
Beta Tester
1,837 posts
11,594 battles
15 minutes ago, Smeggo said:

Already got nerfed.

So, good that there haven't been any sensational videos released with the first testing version. :cap_tea:

soo Gascogne 2.0 because the first one turned out so well? :cap_haloween: