You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Sir_Sinksalot

Do Weak European DD's Need A base XP Adjustment?

17 comments in this topic

Players
551 posts
3,413 battles

Xh4A9Lv.jpg

Hi guys,

Just had this thought after a rather disappointing XP return after a successful 5 star Ops victory with a very good team while grinding my tier 7 Skane. Now ok, we can see from the screenshot it's a very basic and mostly stock ship with a bad commander lacking the 10 skill points so no concealment expert etc, pretty limited as it stands but actually a fun challenge none the less.

Anyways, during that 5 star victory I did pretty much all I could do with the damage dealing capacity of this shp. I'll attach screenshots of the result and break down but sadly I didn't even crack 1k base xp.... is this a bit harsh? Now, maybe this is premature and once I have a fully upgraded ship and captain this ship deals over 200k on Narai with ease but right now I doubt it outside of a particularly strong result. 

So even if this was just an average result for this ship on the map, still, I was the worst on the team? last place on xp? Hell, even when a get a mediocre low end performance with a cruiser or BB on Narai I still always bag around 1200+- base xp so I wonder if you guys feel these low damage dealing European torp boats are given a fair return of xp reflective of that? Is their XP score evaluated just the same as a DD with massive damage shotgun style torps and/or gunboats that can cut through enemy DD's and light cruisers? If so, hardly seems fair. :Smile_amazed:

Worst on the team apparently and btw this isn't a case of bad player thinking he's better than he is, like I said, even an average performance with another ship generally features in the top 3 or 4 with 1200 ish base xp for not doing very much so why is this deemed as a trash effort when the ship really doesn't deal a lot of damage? I risked and spotted as much as I dared. Btw REALLY looking forward to getting concealment expert wholly shhhhh the camo rating on this is so bad for such a slow and ungainly ship that can't run away plus doesn't have scary guns either and lacks shotgun torpedo volleys. 

KaUHMn2.jpg

tFNKqBO.jpg

fA0B9Av.jpg

[CATS]
Players
26,032 posts
14,064 battles
  • When a ship is weak, it needs not be made stronger, not get extra XP
  • OPs are not the best place for DD, especially when they have no smoke
  • Narai got her XP payout reduced by 25 to 35%, maybe even more
  • Cool 1

[SKRUB]
Players
535 posts
20,740 battles

Operation is not made to grind xp, you better do random battle and you should mount flag/camo, in order to get more xp.

Players
9,805 posts
11,484 battles

EU destroyers bring nothing to the table besides AA on tier 9 and 10. Which means, in CV less game or when your AA mounts are destroyed, you end up with simply subpar ship that struggles to have an impact with both guns and torps. On top of that, they can't immediately break contact should things get too interesting.

[-RM-]
Beta Tester
2,085 posts
8,425 battles

Low sample size perhaps but the Skåne and the rest of the IKEA DD's don't exactly suffer that much, XP included:

Spoiler

07d6c2035a.png

The problem here is Operations as stated above. DD's in particular tend to suffer in Operations because you can't as easily rack up as much damage and kills as you will do in other classes, and the XP payout is already pretty meh in the first place.

[ANV]
Players
549 posts
4,693 battles
44 minutes ago, ColonelPete said:
  • When a ship is weak, it needs not be made stronger, not get extra XP
  • OPs are not the best place for DD, especially when they have no smoke
  • Narai got her XP payout reduced by 25 to 35%, maybe even more

The colonel is correct and... 

I always cry a little inside when I load into an Operation and see more than one DD on my team; usually they just don't have the DPS or staying power required and are among the first to die. 

• Cool 3

Players
1,979 posts
12,971 battles
23 minutes ago, Lord0 said:

The colonel is correct and... 

I always cry a little inside when I load into an Operation and see more than one DD on my team; usually they just don't have the DPS or staying power required and are among the first to die. 

I liked it sometimes as it meant more meat and hence XP for me 😁.

Unless all my random teammates died as well🤣

It's just a lottery. Best way to play ops is in a second week of rotation as most of the players by then are able to play it with a bit of a purpose plus a bit of education in a chat and 5 stars are a norm not an exemption. 

[SM0KE]
Players
5,405 posts
13,256 battles
1 hour ago, Sir_Sinksalot said:

Just had this thought after a rather disappointing XP return after a successful 5 star Ops victory with a very good team while grinding my tier 7 Skane.

The 'very good team' bit might partly explain poor returns: to get xp/silver, you need to do plenty of damage, and when you're in a good team there is often less to go around - the better players will blow up the targets before you get a chance to.

This effect should be magnified if you take an Ikea into Ops: they're all about doing DoT (and blowing up planes) and you often don't get a chance to do that, due to targets getting destroyed in short order if your team is semi-competent.

I've played the Ikeas quite a bit recently (Halland has been working fairly well for me in Ranked, and I played T5 and up enough to get the permaflages during early access) and they don't seem to be noticeably adrift from typical DDs for rewards - provided you stay alive long enough to stack up the DoT effects...

• Cool 1

[-TPF-]
Players
3,821 posts
15,670 battles
53 minutes ago, Lord0 said:

Hmm. I can think of at least two five star Narai runs yesterday in Akatsuki where there were two DDs on the team. The problem with DDs in this operation is that everyone else wants to be a DD - Scharnhorst players having to prove their manhood by torping the Missouri, especially - and then of course you miss the DPS elsewhere. 

Having said that, I think Skane would be the DD I would be least likely to bring. You can't kill the Missouri or the Lexington with your torps  - Akatsuki does 10k more per strike, even the weakest VII (Sims) does 4k more, and you have no smoke, no heal and limited DPM. 

I like the Swedish DDs and their mid-tier Skirmishing style, but Skane is a bit too slow and Ognevoi for my liking. Rather like the other Tier VII odd duck Yudachi, I think Skane needs lots of flags, and a good skipper with the right skills, to be worth playing. 

[LSCA]
Players
1,045 posts
9,012 battles

in co op and operations there been always less xp, other way people would play only those for farm the xp

Players
2,773 posts
17,292 battles
2 hours ago, Sir_Sinksalot said:

fA0B9Av.jpg

81 main battery hits = low XP.

Spam your guns like there's a perma heal floating next to you.

Players
3,288 posts
14,054 battles

OP's are not a good place to base exp on anymore. 

only 3k damage done as I focused on cap, still came mid table.

Spoiler

Vasteras.thumb.png.c3418aba35e36b0595c2c7e287bc7afe.png

Again, none of them spectacular looking damage numbers why. Yet all respectable base exp scores. OK, last one has some nice damage but still.

Spoiler

626581816_Vasteras.png2.thumb.png.160295dd8042e53893f6f100c39b350d.png877117228_Vasteras.png3.thumb.png.37cf3aa160b41831def1504f243f4f0e.png1252970089_Vasteras.png4.thumb.png.7af0dbed7860dd7224313e087de897e0.png1049206298_Vasteras.png5.thumb.png.d1a7b20fb1b53c639051650846f0b6c4.pngSkane.thumb.png.9fb59d389e7dd51187ee292e4ad73863.png421753143_Skane.png2.thumb.png.339244e6506f27f42a1a9e9a5ad62364.pngOland.thumb.png.ac7b1c34913cf3efbd6c08271c1f9fc3.png

I'd say overall the exp potential is where it should be.

[-TPF-]
Players
3,821 posts
15,670 battles
10 minutes ago, Bear__Necessities said:

I'd say overall the exp potential is where it should be.

If running lots of flags, by the looks of those stats. 2165 XP doesn't magically turn into 12.6K XP without a bit of help. Perhaps that's the road WG is going down, but it's not a good one.

Players
3,288 posts
14,054 battles
5 minutes ago, invicta2012 said:

If running lots of flags, by the looks of those stats. 2165 XP doesn't magically turn into 12.6K XP without a bit of help. Perhaps that's the road WG is going down, but it's not a good one.

Base exp is't affected by flags and camo etc. And I have very few flags, just a couple of good camos left and the 1st win of the day modifier also. So. My point stands. Base exp does not need changing on them. As for how easy it is to acquire exp and credits with multiple flags and camos? I give you this.

1640661112_MartelNA.thumb.png.a5d6fcf78e650afbbed4848560ebe534.png

429365788_MartelNA.png3.thumb.png.5077442b01fcb92c80319dd9ed55d0d4.png

Win or defeat the credits and exp is ridiculous with the amount of stacking you can now do with flags and camos. 

[-TPF-]
Players
3,821 posts
15,670 battles

We're not disagreeing. And what you've shown was exactly my point, that WG is creating lower base XP potential ships and scenarios (free content) but increasing the returns that players can get by investing in paid/reward content like Premium, flags, etc. Not surprising, but not good.

• Cool 2

[-HUN-]
[-HUN-]
Players
1,083 posts
10,040 battles
1 hour ago, invicta2012 said:

We're not disagreeing. And what you've shown was exactly my point, that WG is creating lower base XP potential ships and scenarios (free content) but increasing the returns that players can get by investing in paid/reward content like Premium, flags, etc. Not surprising, but not good.

I feel like I receive even less credits than before if you are a non premium player. My premium just ran out and fairly good games where I topped the board at T8 brought a net of 37k credits with flags and camo. it was never much but this is a joke.

Players
81 posts
5,379 battles

Yes, working as intended. The reason the flag limit was raised that much is obviously to force more purchases upon players. Combine that with the obvious nerfs of just about any free / earned stuff since the PR milestone. Less flags and camos (even as little as one single flag) from containers. Yes, the EU crates look cheap and worn, but not nearly as junk-y as they actually are. Camos that give at least 1/3rd less benefits compared to the pre-PR norm. Add to that the new "incentive" to re-grind entire lines, which will also be a huge flag and camo drain, even without the other nerfs.

It was more than a little provoked by players complaining to no end about how worthless flags and camos are when gotten from SC or other sources. So WG does in fact listen if it suits them.

The obvious response was to decrease gains in all respects, thereby increasing costs if you want to even remotely compensate. Which WG did. So, thank all those "I got only 50 flags out of my SC" people, along with the "I have 100mil FXP" guys.

WoWS is gradually being turned into a grindfest that requires constant purchases to be even remotely bearable (p2 achieve). They are sufficiently careful to ensure that the frog does not jump, but of course it will eventually die. And when that happens, WG will just claim it was the market / players / whatever, but absolutely not their keeping milking the blood out of skinny cows.