Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
ThePurpleSmurf

Can we get rid of the map Island of Ice already?

21 comments in this topic

Players
1,510 posts
11,294 battles

Seriously, this is by far the worst map in the game, even Ocean is better. The whole map design makes for the worst game experience you can have in this game. It's maybe 1 out of 15 times where a game is somewhat okayish, but this only with a lot of luck.

The map is way too huge. If you are on the cap on the outer side (A or C) and want to move over to the other side of the map to help your team … well it takes a whole 6-7 minutes at maximum speed in a straight line to do so in a DD like Friesland, Halland, Daring, Gearing, and so on. And it takes even longer with a BB or most Cruiser. How can you expect teamplay when you are 6-9 minutes apart on the same map? This promotes to play lemming train deluxe.

Also in a CV game, when you have the 'luck' to spawn on one flank with another ship and the rest of the team is 15-25km away in the middle and other side of the map. What exactly do you think how this will end for the ship vs the enemy CV alone or maybe with one ally who run away instantly at game start? Even in the strongst AA ship you will have a horror game, because until the moment you can finally shoot at an enemy your HP is depleted by the constant CV harassment.

Then there are huge islands all over the map where you can not shoot over, so you can not even help your team in a Yamato with spotting planes and 32km range, because shots get blocked by mountains that reach up into the sky. Much teamplay, much support. :Smile_facepalm:

And this is only in domination mode. It get's even worse in Epicenter.

8 out of 10 games at high tier on this map end in a 5-6 minute rolfstomp, because one team caps and the other doesn't. Points tick so fast that there is no hope of salvaging this game. Because of the map design for Epicenter, large ships can not really push the caps or get deleted really quick, especially cruisers. While there are some spots for cruiser to support the caps but this is again, design flaw, only possible with a lucky spawn depending if you spawn east or west, south or north. W O R S T game mode on the W O R S T map.

And because all this is not enough we get most of the time also this storm thingy, that ruins the last hope of enjoyable gameplay on this map. Yes, the storm front looks really nice, optical-wise, but it's so bad for the gameplay in general.

Long story short. Island of Ice is in the game sice forever (like all the way back in Beta?), it was redesigned how often, 4-5 times? And since day one it's the worst map in the game that produces nothing but [insert other word for excrement here] games. Main reason is the size, the huge distance between caps and these weird 14 Mount Everest scattered across the map. The map was always bad and every redisgn seem to make it even worse. How about to dump this map and look what players like and then design more of this kind instead to try FOR YEARS to fix this map without any success?!

I already hear the puppies say 'but but but the map looks soooo good, i don't want it to go'. Well, i like to play maps that are fun and i don't really care how they look. Do i have only bad games on this map? Hell no, i had good and amazing games on it and even have YT videos up with games on this map. But they are very very rare, the overwhelming majority of games are a really, read REALLY, bad experience and a pure waste of time and equipped camo/flags.

[RO-RN]
Players
873 posts
10,620 battles

Can the OCEAN map be played more frequently? Tired of crap ships parking nose in hiding behind the island.

• Cool 7
  • Bad 1

[RONIN]
Players
239 posts
2,848 battles
21 minutes ago, Animalul2012 said:

Can the OCEAN map be played more frequently? Tired of crap ships parking nose in hiding behind the island.

BB player?

• Cool 1
  • Boring 1

[TS1]
Players
658 posts
8,162 battles

Islands of Ice really isn't the worst map in the game. It has a few problems, but It's above average as far as map go. The main problem is that the mountain range between the B and C caps is a bit high. Another problem is that the oldest or second oldest (I don't remember) version of this map was one of the most fun maps in the game.

Ocean is good.

The worst map in the game is Northern Lights, followed by North.

• Cool 4

Players
2,028 posts
13,099 battles

I liked previous version more tbh. Map is a bit too big and mountains too high but still not worse then tears of cruisers. Epicenter mode is always frustrating with dumb team. 

[BOBS3]
Players
1,009 posts
18,737 battles

Sorry but I think that there is no problem with Islands of Ice.

Big maps are good, people need space to maneuver, with good sight lines and still cover and the ability to break line of sight. This map does this in spades.

I am a firm believer in operating on the flank (or centre) where you spawn and players who insist on crossing the map from one flank to the other are rarely helping their team, instead they are abandoning the players who spawned with them, thus likely precipitating a lemming train. 

I think that the only map that makes me groan is Mountain Range if I happen to spawn in the centre.

I know that many people will disagree, but this is my opinion.

(I did prefer the previous version of Islands of Ice though. Not a fan of symmetrical maps! )

• Cool 4

Beta Tester
916 posts
9,218 battles

I'd rather want Ocean to be removed first, then tears of the desert.

• Cool 2
  • Bad 1

[LEEUW]
Players
2,281 posts
10,068 battles

TBH I rahter play Islands of Ice than Tears of the Desert. That map is just aweful.

Players
2,197 posts
5 hours ago, Animalul2012 said:

I had only my third Ocean map today in over a year... It was glorious... 4 kills, 3 caps, loads of spotting damage, 1.9 million potential damage... and I survived until the end...

Oh how I miss the Ocean map and how the salty tears of the Non DD players made me chuckle...

Ocean is one of the few maps where there are NO campers, NO radar cruisers sat behind islands and you must play as a team to win... and if you mess up you die.

• Cool 6

[BOBS3]
Players
1,009 posts
18,737 battles

And that is why I like it, and why those who aren't so keen on it loathe it!

:cap_haloween:

[PARAZ]
Beta Tester
13,793 posts
19,501 battles

The older versions of Islands of Ice were actually ranging from decent to pretty good. Could have used some minor tweaks like perhaps all maps, but overall I liked them very much.

• Cool 7

[-HUN-]
[-HUN-]
Players
1,091 posts
10,076 battles

Thanks Elza!

I just wanted to say that I want back the older versions. I really liked the previous one with the huge mountains cutting it half but I would love to see the early one, too! Those Shimas must have ruined the experience to many people and it got shafted XD

[BONUS]
Beta Tester
1,443 posts

No man, don't get rid of them, change it back to the version in Beta. Than one was actually good! :cap_old:

[MORIA]
Players
7,317 posts
36,054 battles

The worst thing there is the epicenter with snowstorm in it. Same feeling I have with the Tears of the desert map. 

• Cool 1

Players
311 posts
14,098 battles

Maybe we can have 2 map avoided for premium users like in WoT and you dont get them. There if you have premium account you can chose 2 map that you will never get. I like that idea there and it can work here.

• Cool 1

[IRON7]
Players
264 posts
10,501 battles

typical, just typical. 

Map Whiners here in WoWS just like the plague they were & are in WoT.

Waaagh, waagh, Mommy, the big bad map touched me!

• Bad 1
  • Angry 1

[IRQ]
Players
2,930 posts
7,510 battles
10 hours ago, El2aZeR said:

The older versions of Islands of Ice were actually ranging from decent to pretty good. Could have used some minor tweaks like perhaps all maps, but overall I liked them very much.

I think Islands of Ice has gotten progressively worse since its first version. Not by a lot, since it's still an okay map, but some.

Ocean is awesome, and most low and mid tier maps are good.

High tier maps are mostly bland.

North, Northern Lights, and Mountain Range are crap.

Shatter has that stupid island in the C cap, but is otherwise fine. Used to be much better before that island was added.

• Cool 1

[FLYD]
Players
1,378 posts
13,091 battles
17 hours ago, Runegrem said:

Islands of Ice really isn't the worst map in the game. It has a few problems, but It's above average as far as map go. The main problem is that the mountain range between the B and C caps is a bit high. Another problem is that the oldest or second oldest (I don't remember) version of this map was one of the most fun maps in the game.

Ocean is good.

The worst map in the game is Northern Lights, followed by North.

Yes please gib back that old version ;_; with all the islands in the south.

I would even take the old one with open B and that gigantic iceberg dividing a and b ;_; 

• Cool 1

Players
130 posts
15,583 battles
19 hours ago, DariusJacek said:

I liked previous version more tbh. Map is a bit too big and mountains too high but still not worse then tears of cruisers. Epicenter mode is always frustrating with dumb team. 

Tears of cruisers :cap_haloween:I cant imagine smolensk has tears

Players
2,028 posts
13,099 battles
3 minutes ago, SSGdoncollier said:

Tears of cruisers :cap_haloween:I cant imagine smolensk has tears

Smoleńsk doesn't cry. It makes others cry. 

[BOBS3]
Beta Tester
501 posts
17,036 battles

I like Islands of Ice, there's a few nice spots to get good shots on broadsides when players take the obvious route to the apparent safety of the outer cluster of islands at C whilst covering your own side from fire across the map.

Loop can get in the bin.

Sign in to follow this