Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Battledragon

NERF % chance of fires on HE shells!

166 comments in this topic

Beta Tester
615 posts
1,251 battles

Ok, I'm really hating this update so far since my favorite class is battleships, and right now they're borderline unplayalbe, because of cruisers firing HE.  I've been killed by St Louises multiple times in tier 4 battleships, (have both, and had this has happened to both multiple times now) because my AP shells just punch through it without damaging and the HE doesn't do enough damage to kill them either, and they just CONSTANTLY have me burning with 2, sometimes three fires the entire time with HE spam.  I've had the same problem with Clevelands on my Fuso, and Pensecolas and Myokos on my Nagato.

They're able to turn so fast now that even at 10km they're next to impossible to hit since my shells now travel on such a high arc, even for short range, that they can actually alter course enough to completely avoid my salvo even if they don't start turning until after I fire at them.  Whilst with HE spam they can kill me every time just with fire damage as they only need 2-3 hits every other salvo to constantly keep any battleship on fire at all times.  There's not even any point in using the repair kit as they just set you on fire again 10-15 seconds later anyway.

Wargaming really needs to nerf fires, because at the moment all my battleships feel like I'm driving a tanker full of aviation fuel instead of a warship, and it's really killing gameplay.

Edited by Battledragon
  • Cool 20

Beta Tester
30 posts
1,510 battles

Now,i bloody hate battleships,so lemme get that out of the way right now.

But i noticed a strange occurence.When playing my atlanta i fired 50 ap shots into the middle of an enemy North Carolina (VIII USN BB),for little to no damage.

I had a little bit of ''sod it why not'' moment,and loaded HE,and i scored a citadel penetration on my first salvo,is this supposed to be working this way?

Edited by Silverwing373

[KOOKS]
Modder, Beta Tester
1,340 posts
3,342 battles

I wouldn't mind having the chance of fire reduced somewhat myself, it's like every other salvo guarantees a fire.

[SCRUB]
Alpha Tester
17,384 posts
5,400 battles

HE + fire has become the bane of bb's, meeting a Cleveland or Des Moines spamming HE at your BB usually means burning to death. So yeah I agree, either lower the % chance of fire ( which will still leave HE as really strong with their damage rolls, imho even to stronk without the fires ), or increase ability to put out fires automatically by the crew without using the repair party. 

• Cool 1

[FAM]
Alpha Tester
2,435 posts
7,140 battles

Well, even I've got to recognize that in less than 2 minutes I had brought a Yamato from from full to halve health using HE with Zao.

I guess they are now watching how this age of fire develops, gather data and then decide using it.

Beta Tester
11 posts
776 battles

Sort this game out because it is at the moment craper than crap pointless playing in every way, as for the  yamato it is  too expensive to play  if you get sunk by a dd's that can get within 2k range and sink you with torps because you cant see him how is that possible?.

Plus not to mention the h.e. damage and being set on fire every split second,  you as a game company have made this mess and should sort it asap  people are paying you real money to play and all you are doing is seem to be ripping them off forcing them to pay more money.

Edited by mightyjazz
  • Cool 5

Beta Tester
30 posts
1,510 battles

Sort this game out because it is at the moment craper than crap pointless playing in every way, as for the  yamato it is  too expensive to play in every way if you get sunk by a dd's than can get within 2k range and sink you with torps.

Plus not to mention the h.e. damage and being set on fire every spit second you as a game company have made this mess and should sort it asap  people are paying you real money to play and all you are doing is seem to be ripping them off forcing them to pay more money.

Although i agree with you that balance is pretty crap right now,you don't need to pay to play,and repairing your ship doesn't cost real money,so your p2w argument...null and void.

• Cool 2

Beta Tester
99 posts
2,182 battles

Another problem is the disparity in the time it takes to reset the repair party. Get set on fire in a DD or even cruiser? No big deal, press R and you are good to go again. On a Battleship it is going to take 1:30 (or is it even more?) to reset the repair crew. A time span in which you can be set on fire multiple times, so there is no real way to avoid burning. It doesn't work the other way around. By the time a BB can fire again at a DD it set on fire the repair crew of the destroyer will already be available again, making fire almost irrelevant to DDs.

Edited by 2ndaryBattleTank

[KOOKS]
Modder, Beta Tester
1,340 posts
3,342 battles

The roof, the roof, the roof is on fire. We don't need no water let the *********** burn, burn ************ burn!.

Beta Tester
71 posts
90 battles

Although i agree with you that balance is pretty crap right now,you don't need to pay to play,and repairing your ship doesn't cost real money,so your p2w argument...null and void.

tier 9/10 BB's cost alot to repair and given the current fire problem generally get sunk before they get a chance to earn enough credits to repair if sunk.
  • Cool 4

[SCRUB]
Alpha Tester
17,384 posts
5,400 battles

now the -15% firefighting time module and perk are useless because of this...

d3113e55aad248069a64a09350239b8cb29fff0a

Beta Tester
615 posts
1,251 battles

How the HELL did this mess get past supertest anyway?

Battleships are now next to worthless because of the change to shell arcs and the manoverability buff means their range advantage is gone, cruisers can now hit THEM from longer ranges than they can hit back due to dodging shells in mid flight now being stupidly easy.

Destroyers can't get torpedo hits from ranges more than 3-4km (making the entire japanese line pointless, all hail US destroyers and MORE HE spam!)
Torpedo bombers have the same issues, and the HE buff now means dive bomber HE spam FTW on carriers as well.

the only winners apart from US destroyers are the cruisers, that are now all mobile flamethrowing DPM factories with the ability to dodge 90% of all return fire as long as they stay outside 10km range and keep changing course all the time, and now are harder to torpedo than destroyers were before the patch.

Edited by Battledragon
  • Cool 9

Alpha Tester
2,271 posts
1,040 battles

How the HELL did this mess get past supertest anyway?

You don't know what it was :trollface:

But as said many times the super trolls are not there to balance and annoy devs until they balance the things like we want :)

[ST-EU]
Supertester
2,062 posts
3,667 battles

I made a small topic regarding the increased chance of HE fire. SO I am shamelessly going to promote myself here: CBT suggestions 

Edited by Vogel

Alpha Tester
43 posts
2,793 battles

Some great constructive comments in this thread (and others) and a whole bunch of people who need to learn that "closed beta" doesn't mean "marketing preview". Flag the problem, support it with facts and if the data supports it it'll get revised. Through your toys out of the pram and be rude and the folks collating feedback for the devs won't read past line one.

• Cool 3

[FIFO]
Beta Tester
412 posts
848 battles

I can go along with a HE damage drop, but the fire chances should stay as is. finally HE is useful.

pre-patch, you could shoot HE all game and get 1 fire every 40 or so hits.....if they shot at anything other then a CV..and that one would be instantly doused..on top of that the shell did fecal matter for damage and only broke the occasional AA gun. no wonder nobody used it.

now the shells deal decent to even good damage, fire chances are relevant (cruisers get fires close to 1:10..that is their 16% chance of the 203mm guns minus the oft used damage control module) if doused..re-lighting is often done quickly enough. so focusing yourself on burning enemies works...and because of the increased damage you can even go full HE spam without sacrificing extreme amounts of damage per hit. the module damage effect hasn't really changed, it still tends to break secondary modules on the target ship.

currently we have gone to far to the extreme other end of the spectrum, HE should in my eyes be the ammo that sacrifices damage per shot for status effects and module damage. the fire chance is good...but spamming it should...even with the fire...yield a lower DPS then spamming AP (unless the HE can penetrate the target just like AP can)

on a side note: I would really like to have a training room in the beta so we can test out HE ammo on various modules, get a better view on how much damage fire does and if its tied to any particular location..and how the fire prevention modules and skills work...the lack of a in-game training room is quite frustrating.

• Cool 1

Beta Tester
71 posts
90 battles

omg, i love fail logic. the fire chance is NOT 1 in 40 hits right now. It's more like 1 in 4. The whole point of HE is its meant for use at long range to do some damage to armored targets, As it stands now AP is next to useless because HE is OP. AP should be needed inside of 5k to do the most damage and should do MORE damage than HE when used as such. They upped HE penetration too with the patch in case you didnt read that bit either.

[SCRUB]
Alpha Tester
17,384 posts
5,400 battles

omg, i love fail logic. the fire chance is NOT 1 in 40 hits right now. It's more like 1 in 4. The whole point of HE is its meant for use at long range to do some damage to armored targets, As it stands now AP is next to useless because HE is OP. AP should be needed inside of 5k to do the most damage and should do MORE damage than HE when used as such. They upped HE penetration too with the patch in case you didnt read that bit either.

He said 1:10 not 1:40, the later was pre-patch ( in his observations ). 
  • Cool 1

Beta Tester
158 posts
633 battles

An Omaha has 12% chance to cause a fire with HE.

So...

An Omaha shoots a wooden decked aircraft carrier, with highly inflamable fuel everywhere....  it has a 12% chance of causing a fire.

An Omaha shoots a heavily armoured battleship, with all the hatches battened etc... it has a 12% chance of causing a fire.

o_O??? Really?

IMHO the chance of causing a fire should vary, depending on what ship you're shooting.

• Cool 4

[FIFO]
Beta Tester
412 posts
848 battles

if you are trying to reply to me (something I assume as I'm the only one that made the 1:40 comment)  you should notice the words "pre-patch" and read the entire thing. 

they did indeed increase HE penetration and damage, in this case I'm going to assume the hard hitting HE on battleships is mainly because of the increased base damage.

while I have yet to notice a 1:4 ratio..and I have played a lot of games in my cruisers. I do feel our opinions are not that far apart, if you read the entire post, you should have noticed I made a claim regarding the rather high DPS HE spam currently has.

He said 1:10 not 1:40, the later was pre-patch ( in his observations ). 

thank you and have a +1, and yes they are my observations..tried to get better numbers before the bloody patch and made 3 topics regarding the fire and HE ammo subject...but alas no real response

Sign in to follow this