Sign in to follow this  
OVanBruce

Furutaka: A bad decision for the tier V

6 comments in this topic

[FAM]
Alpha Tester
2,435 posts
7,140 battles

Ok, yesterday I had the oportunity to test the Furutaka and it seems to me it isn't a good ship for the position it is now. And I'm not saying it is an underperforming ship since with experience and patience it can deliver good damage and survive in the battle. The problem is the amount of experience you need in order to make her an efficient, and consequentially, fun ship to play.

In my opinion, ships should have a progression which make then on the first tiers easy to understand and play and they keep getting harder and more complex to play the higher the tier but Furutaka simply breaks this pattern completely jumping from relatively easy (Kuma) to very hard.

- Its reload time means that you have to make every shot count and gunnery, which shouldn't be much developed for a newbie player when on tier V, is capital for this. The result is lots of missed shots and fewer oportunities to connect then. This combined with the relatively low damage output of a cruiser makes for really frustrating games for a newbie.

- Terrible turret rotation rate and placement: Once again, it takes situational awareness, strategy and good coordination to overcome this which will once again make a newbie player have a hard time trying to make himself efficient.

- Light armored and squishy: These are just characteristics of the IJN cruiser lines decided one sidedly by WG so there is nothing that can be done. But they add to the painful experience of Furutaka.

All in all, Furutaka requires a high skill and experience ceiling to be effective, things that players at tier V usually haven't developed. This will make the ship be hated and lots of people will abandon the IJN cruiser line thanks to this.

I'd suggest to soft buff some stats of Furutaka to make her a less skill oriented ship so the player can keep being motivated to play her once the game is out and experience and credits values acquire their final form.

• Cool 4

Weekend Tester
1,668 posts
32 battles

Well you cannot really do anything about the "squishiness", she only has 76 mm belt armor, She's barely protected against 5" gunfire

I really do not played any games in her, maybe I'll try her out. 

I kind of felt in the Pensacola that the 203 mm guns lost their appeal. I dueled against an Omaha in my first battle in this patch and she quite simply wrecked me,

AP damage against such poorly protected cruisers seems rather underwhelming... maybe because of the increased delay on the AP fuses or some other change, The citadel hits are just much harder to achieve now, considering that the Omaha can just HE spam you to death while you struggle to citadel her

I guess she could have put the hurt against everything she met in the pre-3.1 world

Weekend Tester
1,668 posts
32 battles

Ok, yesterday I had the oportunity to test the Furutaka and it seems to me it isn't a good ship for the position it is now. And I'm not saying it is an underperforming ship since with experience and patience it can deliver good damage and survive in the battle. The problem is the amount of experience you need in order to make her an efficient, and consequentially, fun ship to play.

In my opinion, ships should have a progression which make then on the first tiers easy to understand and play and they keep getting harder and more complex to play the higher the tier but Furutaka simply breaks this pattern completely jumping from relatively easy (Kuma) to very hard.

- Its reload time means that you have to make every shot count and gunnery, which shouldn't be much developed for a newbie player when on tier V, is capital for this. The result is lots of missed shots and fewer oportunities to connect then. This combined with the relatively low damage output of a cruiser makes for really frustrating games for a newbie.

- Terrible turret rotation rate and placement: Once again, it takes situational awareness, strategy and good coordination to overcome this which will once again make a newbie player have a hard time trying to make himself efficient.

- Light armored and squishy: These are just characteristics of the IJN cruiser lines decided one sidedly by WG so there is nothing that can be done. But they add to the painful experience of Furutaka.

All in all, Furutaka requires a high skill and experience ceiling to be effective, things that players at tier V usually haven't developed. This will make the ship be hated and lots of people will abandon the IJN cruiser line thanks to this.

I'd suggest to soft buff some stats of Furutaka to make her a less skill oriented ship so the player can keep being motivated to play her once the game is out and experience and credits values acquire their final form.

Okkkay I played with her one battle

results: 

shot-15.05.16_17.36.52-0214.jpgshot-15.05.16_17.36.55-0183.jpgshot-15.05.16_17.36.58-0532.jpg

My opinion of her:

Well, Excluding the turning radius of course since I cannot take that seriously into account, It's ridiculously good for a CA and that's all really, 

She is not a bad little ship.

• Guns turn slowly, but that is really only a problem when dodging fire, with a little forethought that can be negated
  • range is okay for it's tier, and her dispersion is nice enough as well
  • Reload is a bit slow, but not that slow that it would cause problems.
  • Gun layout is a bit weird, the 3rd and 4th gun is well, '"misplaced", but again nothing serious,
  • I did not used the torpedoes, I tried to torp a carrier,but I did not get into range fast enough...They are definitely short ranged, but have high alpha, their speed is ok
  • AA is rather underwhelming as expected from IJN
  • concealment is nothing special, not bad, but not good either
  • HP is surprisingly better than the Aoba's by 200 , which is interesting to say the least
  • Rather good rudder shift as well

Well, she is a slightly nerfed Aoba in tier 5

And I think that she might train up people for the IJN CAs rather well, she is a little unforgiving, but her play-style fits the IJN well

Now we only need WG to buff their bloody torpedoes... 

Now as I said before I do not like particularly some IJN cruiser's looks namely the Mogami and the Ibuki seems ugly as hell to me, because of their elevated superstructure which I think is a big-[edited] "Please shoot me here" sign

BUT

This ship looks really nice, together with the Aoba and the Zao 

On another note, I noticed that I can actually citadel hit Omahas, but only from long range

So my suspicion that Wg most probably increased the delay on the fuses is most probably might be perhaps correct

Edited by Bl4ckh0g

[FAM]
Alpha Tester
2,435 posts
7,140 battles

Dude, did you get my point that the ship is not for people who had started playing the game? If I guided myself by my results yesterday I'ld say she's the best tier V cruiser since I got 4 kills but I can't really expect that from someone that have just gotten out of the Kuma.

Weekend Tester
1,668 posts
32 battles

Dude, did you get my point that the ship is not for people who had started playing the game? If I guided myself by my results yesterday I'ld say she's the best tier V cruiser since I got 4 kills but I can't really expect that from someone that have just gotten out of the Kuma.

Yeah I get that

Well, how can I put it right?

If you cannot handle this ship, then I am pretty sure you don't have to continue this line.

This IJN cruiser has by far the easiest time.

USN counterpart is the Omaha, you have better torps than him, same armor, same speed, same mobility

You have 5k more HP, And you have like 6 x 200 mm guns with 3,5 RoF against 8 152 mm with 7(?) RoF

Seriously after the Furutaka, IJN ships only get tougher opponents, 

And you get like what bad stuff? 45 sec turret traverse and mildly bad turret placement? 

Hell, the Aoba is just a little better on the firepower side(completely same ship otherwise), the Myoko has the same god damn sluggish turrets with the same bad turret placement..

If you can learn how to sail the Furutaka you learned how to sail both the Aoba and the Myoko

It's one of the best beginner ships imho

[_VI_]
Alpha Tester
135 posts
1,717 battles

Ive had a blast so far with the Furutaka.

Minor things like the gun rotation and reload let it down. However its an excellent Tier V CA when used effectively.

Imo every bit as good as the Omaha if not better.

Sign in to follow this