You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
dommo77

IJN premium

48 comments in this topic

[GJE]
Players
195 posts
3,282 battles

Can you please advise what would be a good Japanese premium trainer and earner, any class? I have only Yubari from premiums, but it's tier IV (can't do daily tasks). 

So far I got to Fuso in BBs, Aoba in CAs, Ryujo in CVs, Akatsuki and Akizuki (one of my 2 gems in tier VIII) in DDs. I was thinking about Atago? Or Kii maybe? I have enough dubs for one of them. The reason I was looking at tier VIII is I would like to grind campaigns. I know what you will say - not enough experience for higher tiers, not good enough. I know, I'm just below average Joe, slowly improving. But I'd like to have a solid Japanese premium to go to. 

Players
1,498 posts
3,113 battles

@dommo77 

I'll tell you my suggestions for each class so that you can then decide (as you have all the classes; i.e. BBs, CAs, DDs and CVs)

CVs: Kaga

BBs: either Mutsu or Ashitaka; Kii imo isn't really worth it, it's just a worse Amagi.

CAs: Atago, it's still decent

DDs: Asashio. The only problem with Asashio is that it has Deep water torps that hit only BBs and CVs

12 minuti fa, dommo77 ha scritto:

I know what you will say - not enough experience for higher tiers, not good enough

I wouldn't really say that; i'd just say, don't be in a hurry with those, take it slow.

• Cool 2

Players
207 posts
6,534 battles

The only solid Japanese options are now on shop is the Tier IV BB and Atago. All the rest of premium are quite bad in general or good in some point but with extremely big weak points. I love Ashitaka but its big, doesn't have any armour, and doesn't have AA and nowadays MM is terrible for Ashitaka, same problem for Mutsu. The only 2 good Japanese premiums are Musashi and Kamikaze. But unfortunately we cant get that ships anymore. Americans, Russians have a lot of great premiums. Japanese are quite bad in premiums. I love that would be different. 

• Cool 2

Players
1,245 posts
9,287 battles

If you enjoy your Ryujo, Kaga is a great and fun premium CV. 

Atago is a solid heavy cruiser (oddly, this has consistently been the case since the early days of the game).

I am fond of Mutsu and Ashitaka for T6 and T7 operations, but they are not meta choices for Randoms.

• Cool 3

[-TPF-]
Players
3,830 posts
15,771 battles

Atago and Asashio are worth your money, I think, but.... I don't have Atago because Mogami is great fun. Myoko is too... have you considered working up to these ships and getting a perma camo for them? 

Asashio is good because it's unique, but check that's what you want before you buy it. Otherwise I have Yudachi, Mutsu, and Yahagi and they're all a bit odd. It seems that WG can't put a sensible IJN premium out, and if you want a premium Japanese ship which functions normally it has to come from an event, in a neon pink camo with a shouty teddy bear as the Captain. 

• Cool 6

[VEBA]
[VEBA]
Weekend Tester
459 posts
5,459 battles

Atago, I love her:Smile_great:

• Cool 2

[GJE]
Players
195 posts
3,282 battles
51 minutes ago, wot_2016_gunner said:

@dommo77 

I wouldn't really say that; i'd just say, don't be in a hurry with those, take it slow.

Thanks for suggestions :) I know what you mean, I rushed through lower tiers, I badly wanted Akizuki (I'm a shiplover, she is my everlasting love :D), and at some point I realized that I play crap really... So now I hoover between V and VII tiers and have fun, learning. But sometimes I like to visit higher tiers and try. And tier VIII is the only way to complete campaigns...

54 minutes ago, Furius_Marius said:

The only solid Japanese options are now on shop is the Tier IV BB and Atago. All the rest of premium are quite bad in general or good in some point but with extremely big weak points. I love Ashitaka but its big, doesn't have any armour, and doesn't have AA and nowadays MM is terrible for Ashitaka, same problem for Mutsu. The only 2 good Japanese premiums are Musashi and Kamikaze. But unfortunately we cant get that ships anymore. Americans, Russians have a lot of great premiums. Japanese are quite bad in premiums. I love that would be different. 

I did noticed that, it's really strange, IJN is one of the 2 oldest navies in the game? I always liked Japanese designs, so different and strange sometimes :)

43 minutes ago, jss78 said:

If you enjoy your Ryujo, Kaga is a great and fun premium CV. 

Atago is a solid heavy cruiser (oddly, this has consistently been the case since the early days of the game).

I am fond of Mutsu and Ashitaka for T6 and T7 operations, but they are not meta choices for Randoms.

Kaga in time, my first premium CV will be Ark Royal, no doubt about that :) But I'm not in the rush, I'm not CV main. 

That's the problem, I was thinking about Mutsu, but I play mainly Randoms...

40 minutes ago, invicta2012 said:

Atago and Asashio are worth your money, I think, but.... I don't have Atago because Mogami is great fun. Myoko is too... have you considered working up to these ships and getting a perma camo for them? 

Asashio is good because it's unique, but check that's what you want before you buy it. Otherwise I have Yudachi, Mutsu, and Yahagi and they're all a bit odd. It seems that WG can't put a sensible IJN premium out, and if you want a premium Japanese ship which functions normally it has to come from an event, in a neon pink camo with a shouty teddy bear as the Captain. 

I will get to Myoko soon, I really enjoy Aoba, is their style of play similar? I usually hunt enemy CAs or support my BBs against DDs and other BBs. 

DDs is my favourite class, I like this independence. But I was a bit put off with Asashio because of her's torps, why they can not hit CAs? Pan-asia DDs have DWT and they can hit cruisers as well? I'm just afraid that it would be boring torpedo spamming 20 mins, as guns are not that good to skirmish with other DDs, no cap contesting, just running from red DDs and planes? 

Thanks for all your suggestions :)

• Cool 4

Players
207 posts
6,534 battles

I love Japanese designs, but for some reason WG don't like to make great JAP premiums. Or when they make one its not anymore for sell. The problem its that a lot of them are good in very situational battles. I have Mutsu, and at tier VII and VIII were I mostly fall its terrible. When you hit the shells shatter. You need that RNG bless you to get something.  Ashitaka is far better but falling all time in tiers VIII and IX, everybody got your guns but more range and Armour. Almost IJN ships have not AA at all.

WG is like: Look you have big caliber or good torps.

For balance reasons, we will give you, crap Armour, high citadel, no AA, crap secondaries...

• Cool 1

[BFS]
Beta Tester
1,861 posts
11,822 battles

For me the only really sensible IJN ship is the HSF Hakrekaze, but that is no longer available although it was a few months ago (after not being available for 12 months or more).

The Asashio is OK but the DWTs mean you need to use the guns against any DDs you come up against.

• Cool 3

Beta Tester
2,792 posts
7,088 battles

IJN Bias reporting from vacation.

One ship i can happily recomend but there is a catch (was only avalable 2x)

IJN (HSF) Harekaze (T8 DD)

If it comes back, it's a amazing ship, and worth it.

:Smile_honoring:

Other ships of IJN that i personally think theyr worth the money/silver/fxp/coal

-Kii (T8 BB) $$

-Atago (T8 CA) $$

-Yoshino (TX CA) Coal (?)

-Kitakaze (T9 DD) Silver

I hope this helps.

To all other forumities, a big warm happy salings and happy hunting, i hope your all having as mutch fun under these circumstances as possible (that will end asap i hope)

:Smile_honoring:

Edited by Major_Damage225
Added stuffs.
  • Cool 5

[SM0KE]
Players
5,443 posts
13,436 battles
2 hours ago, dommo77 said:

Can you please advise what would be a good Japanese premium trainer and earner, any class?

From my perspective, the two aims aren't necessarily 100% complimentary; also, I'm a DD main, so I'm biased:

• For DDs, it's possible to earn a lot of silver with Asashio (that's why it's - or was - my most played ship), but you do need to face - and hit repeatedly - plenty of BBs. Your torps can also hit CVs, but you're less likely to be in a position to hit them. She's perhaps not the best trainer though, as - IMO - the optimum captain skills don't overlap 100% with the regular silver line (Asashio works well with TA, many of the silver ones not so much, especially with plenty of 12 km radar about). Also, bear in mind CVs - your AA is pretty risible, and your stealth is key to doing well with this ship. As others say though, do get Harekaze if she ever becomes available again; she's probably the best higher tier IJN premium DD.
  • Atago (and variations thereon) is one of the few cruisers that I actually like; good torps (with nice arcs that broadcast your imminent firing a lot less than the silver ones tend to), decent guns, and you get a heal - unusual for T8. She even looks pretty too! Excellent captain trainer (maybe less so for the T8 silver - if you take the smaller guns + IFHE) too. How good an earner she'll be is entirely dependent on your ability to do damage, of course, especially to things - like DDs - with smaller hp pools.
  • For CVs you have a mighty choice of <pauses to count, and double check> one. Kaga is nice in that she's good and historical, but she is a CV i.e. unless you are a CV-god, you'll struggle to do enough damage to reach the substantial earnings you can get from other classes.
  • BBs - of course - smell and their mothers dress them funny; I only really heavily use the class in Ops and Coop myself. That said, Kii *might* be worth a look if you're after a serious earner - she has the option of (expensive) Kobayashi cammo, which makes her earning potential verge on indecent. The torps can be a giggle, but trying too hard to make use of them is a good way to get sunk in short order. Ashitaka is good for Narai (although I haven't played that Op since the earnings nerf), and also has a Kobayashi cammo for even more betterer earning potential. The best premium BB, as others also say, is Musashi though, which is now only sold as bait to get people to buy Xmas boxes.

My feeling is that a lot of the IJN premiums that you can get easily have a slight tendency towards being a bit 'meh' (there is a theory that certain insecure games designers haven't forgiven the Japanese for making Russia look silly in 1905 and so object to too many truly excellent IJN premiums), but there are at least a few that are worthwhile.

BTW if you ever get a chance, pick up the T5 Kami/Fujin - they are obscenely good fun, and arguably OP in the right hands; that said, anyone who plays them regularly is almost certainly going to hell!

• Cool 3

Players
568 posts

Atago was my first premium ship and for a long time my go to ship for getting medals or difficult missions done.

I used to play Kii alot, but that was before the CV rework.

Mutsu is good for operations. MM sometimes is hard on her cause she has those defective AP 'nades.

Quite few know this but Ashitaka is a beast in T7 if played right, good counter vs Sinop.

Kaga is always good.

No good info about IJN prem DDs.

• Cool 1

[STARS]
[STARS]
Beta Tester
154 posts
16,191 battles

Atago is still one of the best CA’s. However getting uptiered can be difficult at times. 
And I am a huge fan of the Azuma at tier 9. Those guns are awesome, great alpha and it starts fires a lot. It earns a lot of silver too. 

• Cool 1

Players
2,831 posts

Kaga if you like winning games, Atago is also nice but if you are good with Ryujo, Kaga is a fan favorite excellent historical ship.

• Cool 1

[S-O-M]
Players
657 posts
6 hours ago, Furius_Marius said:

Kaga says Hi 😉.

And Atago will be my next Premium (when there’s a voucher or offer on).

• Cool 1

[IRQ]
Players
2,930 posts
7,510 battles
6 hours ago, invicta2012 said:

Myoko (or specifically ARP Ashigara) is my favourite cruiser it the game. Very fun ship. Good armour, more health than any(?) other cruiser in the tier, lots of punchy guns, and good torpedoes (although forward angles don't exist). Atago is almost the same ship with heal and one pair of torpedo launchers facing slightly forward.

Back in the day, I used Kamikaze R for training. Back when it was almost identical to Minekaze, save being slightly slower. It was the only premium I had for a long time (save for Emden and other low-tier freebies).

• Cool 1

[TES6L]
Players
228 posts
11,100 battles
5 hours ago, Furius_Marius said:

I love Japanese designs, but for some reason WG don't like to make great JAP premiums. Or when they make one its not anymore for sell. The problem its that a lot of them are good in very situational battles. I have Mutsu, and at tier VII and VIII were I mostly fall its terrible. When you hit the shells shatter. You need that RNG bless you to get something.  Ashitaka is far better but falling all time in tiers VIII and IX, everybody got your guns but more range and Armour. Almost IJN ships have not AA at all.

WG is like: Look you have big caliber or good torps.

For balance reasons, we will give you, crap Armour, high citadel, no AA, crap secondaries...

They made best T9 premium in game called Musashi.

That joy when you meet Sinop etc bow on to taste 460mm.

That ship in T9 is blast,you cannot ask for more.

• Cool 1

Beta Tester
2,792 posts
7,088 battles
7 minutes ago, Hawker_gb said:

Yeah but its been removed right?

:cap_old:

Or is it still there, i cant check.

Players
207 posts
6,534 battles
25 minutes ago, Hawker_gb said:

Musashi is good but you cannot get it anymore. 

[BONUS]
Beta Tester
3,043 posts
10,647 battles

Pray for Kamikaze from a Super Container.  All your prayers will be answered.

• Cool 2

[-TPF-]
Players
3,830 posts
15,771 battles
12 hours ago, Verblonde said:

My feeling is that a lot of the IJN premiums that you can get easily have a slight tendency towards being a bit 'meh' (there is a theory that certain insecure games designers haven't forgiven the Japanese for making Russia look silly in 1905 and so object to too many truly excellent IJN premiums), but there are at least a few that are worthwhile.

Well, a lot of the newer ones are part of WG's obsession with Super Cruisers / Super Battleships and hoovering up people's Free XP stocks, and clearly they like an Azur Lane collab, so the quality hasn't been high. I would like some more cruisers, really - Furutaka's sister Kako with the single gun turrets and original torpedoes (six per side) would make a decent Tier VI,  and a Mikuma would be nice...

• Cool 1

[H_FAN]
Players
2,569 posts
40,852 battles
15 hours ago, dommo77 said:

Can you please advise what would be a good Japanese premium trainer and earner, any class? I have only Yubari from premiums, but it's tier IV (can't do daily tasks). 

So far I got to Fuso in BBs, Aoba in CAs, Ryujo in CVs, Akatsuki and Akizuki (one of my 2 gems in tier VIII) in DDs. I was thinking about Atago? Or Kii maybe? I have enough dubs for one of them. The reason I was looking at tier VIII is I would like to grind campaigns. I know what you will say - not enough experience for higher tiers, not good enough. I know, I'm just below average Joe, slowly improving. But I'd like to have a solid Japanese premium to go to. 

At T8 Atago. Usable even as a BB trainer as you have heals (SI). Old but still usable and with the dual lines (BB, CA) trainability useful, and very good trainer if you like the IJN cruisers playstyle. Try do the honorable campaign. later for DDs (you do need T8 several but you can redo the tasks (no rewards more than one but you get the stars)

https://wiki.wargaming.net/en/Ship:Honorable_Service

Final reward is the T6 DD Shinonome which is quite OK. Even if its take time you can have suitable tasks that are slowly fixed while you play as usual. 

Otherwise Harekaze as have been mentioned when it is in the shop. Recommended as others have said.

Besides the T4 Ishizuchi as a captain trainer is surprisingly good, one of the ships that I have played most. Cheap, but it is not useful for missions.

• Cool 2

[THESO]
Beta Tester, Players, In AlfaTesters
3,135 posts
8,981 battles
8 hours ago, Hedgehog1963 said:

Pray for Kamikaze from a Super Container.  All your prayers will be answered.

5bf.jpg

Players
9,855 posts
11,562 battles
45 minutes ago, invicta2012 said:

Well, a lot of the newer ones are part of WG's obsession with Super Cruisers / Super Battleships and hoovering up people's Free XP stocks, and clearly they like an Azur Lane collab, so the quality hasn't been high. I would like some more cruisers, really - Furutaka's sister Kako with the single gun turrets and original torpedoes (six per side) would make a decent Tier VI,  and a Mikuma would be nice...

You have sample of six single 203 guns on stock Furutaka and its absolutely mediocre setup. To make viable T6 CA out of that, you'd need massive buffs.

Mikuma or other Mogami class 155mm as T7 prem is my speculation, once WG gets around and remove 155mm option from Mogami "to make ship consistent with rest of the line". And then, 155mm with IFHE at tier 7 retain 32mm pen, so just like Mainz, premium solution to artificial IFHE rework problem:cap_haloween:

[SINT]
Players
852 posts
20,567 battles

I think you just missed out on the last Arpeggio event. It gave away free premium Kongo’s and one premium Myoko. They are completely the same as their silver line variants but with all the real premium bonussen. Permanent camo, premium income bonus, free captain placement, lower cost. Myoko is still to be regarded as a solid cruiser. No longer the best but still very ok. Kongo’s speed makes it a still playable ship when uptiered. Would have been a cheap solution for you.

As for regular jpn premium ships shat are available and somehow competitive the good old Atago shines.in fact it’s the only viable cruiserchoice you have for a premium. Yoshino will cost you FXP you will not yet at your stage. Azuma is just very bad choice for your coal. The T5 light cruiser...nah. So once again sad you missed out on the ARP Myoko.

As for DD’s I would normaly not advice Yuudachi But you stated that you like the silver T7 jpn DD’s So you might enjoy her. Furthermore a free jpn T6 can be earned by completing a campaign but that requires you to have T8 ships.

Regarding BB’s. Well the available ships (T5+) are a bit underwhelming. The MutsuT6 ( wonky shells and torps that require you to show that punishable broadside) Ashitaka ( suffers heavy Dmg from counter BB fire due to bad armor and non existent aa will make you target nr one for any capable cv and BB player) Kii has lesser downfalls but is still not considered good.

But before buying a high tier premium think about your current progress in tiers and remember that buying a high tier premium will get you involved in high tier gameplay meta. Something you did not yet progress into with your regular ships...

• Cool 1