Jump to content
You need to play a total of 1 battles to post in this section.

10 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

Beta Tester
5 posts
680 battles

No idea if this is the right place to ask for help with mod stuff since i've never really interacted with the forums at all

For a while now ive been using a private little flag mod for myself but it was just a simple pasting of new flags over old ones in the .dds which i was fine with but when i noticed that flag mods can have much larger flags by editing flags.atlas and since then ive wanted to do that myself.

I found a tutorial on how on a flag mod page which recommended i download TexturePacker to edit files, but while i can seemingly create a new atlas file, i cannot open the wows one, which i figure i need to do to get the individual png's that make up the atlas file, unless im seriously misunderstanding how this whole thing works.

Any help would be seriously appreciated because i have no idea what im doing 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Modder, Alpha Tester
1,727 posts
1,039 battles

The flags themselves are all located in the flags.dds file which is in the same folder as the atlas. The atlas is pulling the flags straight from that single texture.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Beta Tester
5 posts
680 battles
3 hours ago, zFireWyvern said:

The flags themselves are all located in the flags.dds file which is in the same folder as the atlas. The atlas is pulling the flags straight from that single texture.

okay so how do i get it to let me use larger resolution images for certain flags like you see on the High Resolution Flags mod?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Modder, Alpha Tester
1,727 posts
1,039 battles
10 minutes ago, A_Soft_and_Fluffy_Void said:

okay so how do i get it to let me use larger resolution images for certain flags like you see on the High Resolution Flags mod?

The simple way (the way I do it) is to simply upscale the flags.dds file and replace the flags that you want to have in higher resolution with new ones, making a new alpha channel where appropriate too in order to get the correct aspect ratio for the flags. I never bothered with the atlas file when increasing the texture size itself works just as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Beta Tester
5 posts
680 battles
1 minute ago, zFireWyvern said:

The simple way (the way I do it) is to simply upscale the flags.dds file and replace the flags that you want to have in higher resolution with new ones, making a new alpha channel where appropriate too in order to get the correct aspect ratio for the flags. I never bothered with the atlas file when increasing the texture size itself works just as well.

huh, i always thought that if you messed with the dds file without changing the atlas all that would happen is all the flags being misaligned in game, like having a flag appear with bits of two other flags or something, like when you use an older version of a flag.dds file on a new wows update thats added new flags and thused changed the atlas file. Is it really that simple?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Modder, Alpha Tester
1,727 posts
1,039 battles
Just now, A_Soft_and_Fluffy_Void said:

huh, i always thought that if you messed with the dds file without changing the atlas all that would happen is all the flags being misaligned in game, like having a flag appear with bits of two other flags or something, like when you use an older version of a flag.dds file on a new wows update thats added new flags and thused changed the atlas file. Is it really that simple?

That's what I've been doing for years and it works fine every patch, be aware though, the flags.dds file changes almost every patch so try and get a system in place that lets you update it as quickly as possible because it's quite tedious.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Beta Tester
5 posts
680 battles
1 hour ago, zFireWyvern said:

That's what I've been doing for years and it works fine every patch, be aware though, the flags.dds file changes almost every patch so try and get a system in place that lets you update it as quickly as possible because it's quite tedious.

sadly ive just tried it out and it doesnt really give me the resolution to match what the High Resolution Flags mod, i put in an image of HRFs dds file and show what im talking about, hence why i believe i need to mess with the atlas file to get anywhere near this level of resolution 

384124523_HRFWOWS.thumb.png.c00abe86c1f6666d5ca3ea6669ae1486.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Modder, Alpha Tester
1,727 posts
1,039 battles
1 minute ago, A_Soft_and_Fluffy_Void said:

sadly ive just tried it out and it doesnt really give me the resolution to match what the High Resolution Flags mod, i put in an image of HRFs dds file and show what im talking about, hence why i believe i need to mess with the atlas file to get anywhere near this level of resolution 
384124523_HRFWOWS.thumb.png.c00abe86c1f6666d5ca3ea6669ae1486.png

To be honest, I'm not really sure why you need that much resolution. Upscaling the flags.dds file to 8192x4096px gives plenty of clarity for all of the flags in-game in my experience. Using the Jutland flag as an example, the difference between the original and upscaled and remade is clearly noticeable and should be plenty large enough for the game, as the resolution gets greater for each flag you will get diminishing returns as you really don't see them up-close when ingame and won't even see the finer detail.

FEWu7.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Beta Tester
5 posts
680 battles
3 minutes ago, zFireWyvern said:

To be honest, I'm not really sure why you need that much resolution. Upscaling the flags.dds file to 8192x4096px gives plenty of clarity for all of the flags in-game in my experience. Using the Jutland flag as an example, the difference between the original and upscaled and remade is clearly noticeable and should be plenty large enough for the game, as the resolution gets greater for each flag you will get diminishing returns as you really don't see them up-close when ingame and won't even see the finer detail.

FEWu7.jpg

eh... i suppose you're right, i just saw you could get flags that large and detailed and thought i could try my hand at them myself, rather than relying on either the base game dds and atlas or those of other flag mods

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Modder, Alpha Tester
1,727 posts
1,039 battles
Just now, A_Soft_and_Fluffy_Void said:

eh... i suppose you're right, i just saw you could get flags that large and detailed and thought i could try my hand at them myself, rather than relying on either the base game dds and atlas or those of other flag mods

I only use the base game flags file so far as to know where each flag is and for the ones I don't have the time to remake, the others I remake from scratch, covering over the original ones that I upscaled - that includes 90% of the signal flags, all of the national flags and some of the bonus flags such as the Jutland flag for example.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×