Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Jexter

Suggested change to map borders

22 comments in this topic

Beta Tester
160 posts
1,826 battles

I'm starting to see more & more people abusing the map borders and the funky physics it gives your ship when you straddle it, making you a much harder target to hit than under normal circumstances. On top of that, a closed off area feels totally unnatural.

A better system, I believe, would be a buffer border area of open water where a 30 second timer starts and a warning is given to get back to the operational area, "or else". If the player fails to return within the time limit, he/she is "lost at sea" and the kill is credited to the last person to hit him/her (or the one doing the most damage, whatever). Also, while in the buffer zone, the player remains under the law of regular physics and can still be targeted and fired upon.

• Cool 3

Beta Tester
43 posts
864 battles

Doesn't sound like a bad idea. Alternatively, if WG thinks that's going too far, hitting the map border could be made similar to hitting an island. No more sliding along it, you just come to a stop and have to reverse.

[SPUDS]
Beta Tester
4,045 posts
7,552 battles

Yeah. Have seen BBs that effectively sat on the border the entire match, running along. It is a pretty disgusting abuse of a bad mechanic. But it is WG's responsibility to fix this somehow. And both your proposed fixes would be very acceptable to me.

[STGGC]
Beta Tester
173 posts
829 battles

I'm starting to see more & more people abusing the map borders and the funky physics it gives your ship when you straddle it, making you a much harder target to hit than under normal circumstances. On top of that, a closed off area feels totally unnatural.

A better system, I believe, would be a buffer border area of open water where a 30 second timer starts and a warning is given to get back to the operational area, "or else". If the player fails to return within the time limit, he/she is "lost at sea" and the kill is credited to the last person to hit him/her (or the one doing the most damage, whatever). Also, while in the buffer zone, the player remains under the law of regular physics and can still be targeted and fired upon.

I believe sailing into the map edge isn't an advantage, but a disadvantage. You lose any possible forward movement, and become somewhat easier to hit. Personally, I use the map edge, and the only advantage it gives me is that my guns can continue pointing at the target, while, if he chooses to turn, he will now be unable to hit me. In doing so, i accept a disadvantage of being unable to move forward, and having my movement limited may result in a better target for some. It's not necessarily weird, just normal movement with no forward movement.

Beta Tester
2,119 posts
4,874 battles

It's a massive advantage to hug the edge because you can't manually drop close the target. The manual drop system requires a center point within the map border, so any torpedoes dropped at ships straddling the edge are a minimum of 1km or so away.

It's next to impossible to attack them with torpedo bombers.

Also, the edge conserves all your momentum, it just defaults your vector component to zero. That means you can shift the rudder and the ship will respond immediately and unpredictably for the enemy.

You can abuse the edge mechanics to dodge massive amounts of attacks and it's completely OP.

• Cool 1

Beta Tester
135 posts
890 battles

I'm fine with either the solution posted in the OP or treating the border the same as land. There seems to be a bit of weirdness associated with the borders, among other things it seems to screw with your gunnery if you have the ship in question selected as a target, which I'm guessing is the same mechanic that allows you to arc shells over islands by aiming at them getting confused. It also looks damn unnatural when a ship starts sliding sideways.

Beta Tester
4,192 posts
9,509 battles

I'd prefer something like a soft zone around the map where you loose max speed, manouverability and weapon accuracy: And then a hard zone farther out that is more like the current one, just with even worse penalties.

[SCRUB]
Alpha Tester
17,384 posts
5,400 battles

A buffer zone with a countdown after which you start receiving damage, to increase incrementally with passing of more time. The damage is spread across all ships, distributed based on damage inflicted prior and proximity seems a good and fair idea. A ship in the buffer zone would retain turning ability but dependent on distance to the border less top speed, which at the end would make the ship unable to move further from the border. 

I do not really have a working idea for how to distribute damage between ships based on their class. A DD within torpedo range should get more damage awarded then a DD at max gun range, but for gunnery ranges it would require a more gradual scale since while accuracy should decrease with distance there is still the same damage potential across all distances. 

Any holes in this which I missed?

Alpha Tester
2,271 posts
1,040 battles

It's a massive advantage to hug the edge because you can't manually drop close the target. The manual drop system requires a center point within the map border, so any torpedoes dropped at ships straddling the edge are a minimum of 1km or so away.

It's next to impossible to attack them with torpedo bombers.

Also, the edge conserves all your momentum, it just defaults your vector component to zero. That means you can shift the rudder and the ship will respond immediately and unpredictably for the enemy.

You can abuse the edge mechanics to dodge massive amounts of attacks and it's completely OP.

The border was my safezone in the last patch - aim bot was not able to hit there. I was getting hit with every salvo until I get there and almost no hits after I finally got there. If you can aim well it's as easy to hit them there as in normal water, you just need to feel their speed.

And about the TBs - attack them from outside the map. I'm perfectly fine with the situation when avarage CVs can't hit my CV/BB when I hide in the border and good CV captains can :)

33towi8.jpg

[SCRUB]
Alpha Tester
17,384 posts
5,400 battles

The border was my safezone in the last patch - aim bot was not able to hit there. I was getting hit with every salvo until I get there and almost no hits after I finally got there. If you can aim well it's as easy to hit them there as in normal water, you just need to feel their speed.

And about the TBs - attack them from outside the map. I'm perfectly fine with the situation when avarage CVs can't hit my CV/BB when I hide in the border and good CV captains can :)

33towi8.jpg

Bah I would so love to have trainingrooms available for cbt :P

[ST-EU]
Supertester
2,062 posts
3,667 battles

From a strategic point of view, just leave the player hugging the map border? No strategic points of interst there, and he/she will be a liability to their own team. After all, the capture points are near centre, with "control zone mode" being the exception 

Alpha Tester
2,271 posts
1,040 battles

Bah I would so love to have trainingrooms available for cbt :P

It was possible in the last patch thanks to the alt mod. It's CBT screenshot of course, others are under NDA :)

[SCRUB]
Alpha Tester
17,384 posts
5,400 battles

It was possible in the last patch thanks to the alt mod. It's CBT screenshot of course, others are under NDA :)

Darn I had the button but I didn't even try since I assumed the server wouldn't let me do it even if the option was available on the client. With other words, I though it was disabled server side ( or I would have been in training rooms quite a lot already, just for testing purposes ( and maybe setting up some coordinated battles :medal: ). 

[L7P]
Beta Tester
88 posts
6,578 battles

Easier option, add a minefield :P

• Cool 2

Beta Tester
206 posts
7,325 battles

I also though of something like a soft border, like skimming over a reef, with slowly increasing damage, e.g. start a fire every 5 seconds. After ~15 seconds and/or 500m I'd add flodding damage.

And a warning signal when you get within ~1km of the border.

Beta Tester
2,119 posts
4,874 battles

I'd rather have something humorous like a literal kraken rising from the depths to drag you down.

Pic related.

Colossal_octopus_by_Pierre_Denys_de_Mont

• Cool 1

Beta Tester
160 posts
1,826 battles

Lots of good alternatives here, thanks lads. The minefield is a nice idea, and the Kraken as ultimate death penalty would be epic.

All in all, a system that gives a warning + grace period timer to allow you to turn around + either damage over time and/or death after the timer runs out would be better and more immersive than what is currently in place.

[LEGS]
Weekend Tester
5 posts
3,565 battles

I clap to all this as well.

WG has definitely to find a better map border system.
BTW, i guess no border at all is impossible because of ressources problems, that's it ?

Sign in to follow this