Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
_BigRed__

What is the point?

49 comments in this topic

[GURKA]
Players
134 posts
14,501 battles

Why do we have karma in game Wargames?

Very hard to earn as human nature is always more negative than positive. You loose it for playing well and killing other ships etc etc. All of which has been cited in many posts beforehand.

However when I loose 15 karma in 2 days by playing well in Ranked Sprint and earn just 2, I ask what is the point of playing this "game".
Why give Wargaming money for doubloons and Xmas containers?

You hurt the moral and the will to invest of players who do invest in YOUR game by having players who have been off line for months & months cover their poor play by painfully reporting you !!!

Just for ONCE ;;;; listen to the forum and sort it out !!!!

• Boring 1

Players
314 posts
3,605 battles

I suggest installing the mod "permanent karmaflage" (Aslain modpack). It simply replaces the karma value in your port UI by a fixed number ; you can still get reported or complimented, but you won't get notified anymore by the UI nor you will see your karma score change.

I was overly obsessed with karma too - with this mod, I can't care less anymore and my enjoyment in game went higher.

I agree with you that karma is a botched system, but it has the net advantage to offer salty people (like me sometimes, unfortunately, but I try to improve) a way to vent without being toxic in chat - which is worse.

• Cool 1

Players
2,826 posts

You can win karma back in operations or coop if you are polite and helpful. Offering congrats also works

• Cool 1

[CATS]
Players
26,199 posts
14,119 battles

Installing a mod to ignore karma? :Smile_teethhappy:

This playerbase always cracks me up :Smile_playing:

• Cool 1
  • Funny 5

Players
1,498 posts
11,245 battles
32 minutes ago, _BigRed__ said:

Why do we have karma in game

I assume the intention was a good one but the system is so poorly implemented that it's pointless. Some time ago the NA server had a reward system for a short while where you got rewarded for good ingame behavior, aka karma. When you didn't got chat banned or reported or something like this for a time period of 3 months (i believe it was 2 or 3 months) then you got a bunch of FTW camos. This link leads to the WoWs Wiki where you find the camo stats and there is also a link to the NA reward system related to it, if you want to read more about the rules and stuff.

But the system is poorly implemented, it is abusable and exploitable that's why they dumped the karma reward stuff again after just a few months. The reward system was only active on NA and i believe RU, it never made it to EU.

Players
2,178 posts

Karma is for the gentle players, the ones who have a very thin skin and need a million + Karma before they go into battle.... seeing that big + Karma gives them a warm buzzy feeling... and the world is well for twenty minutes or so...

-1 Karma and all hell breaks loose....:Smile-angry:

Pfft....!!!

• Cool 1
  • Funny 5

[PRT]
Players
174 posts
7,637 battles

What Karma? Never Heard of it? Were can I see my Karmasituation? Does it change my chances in battle? For example: Bad Karma gets you more dispersion and less

fires using your main guns?? Otherwise, who cares...:Smile_playing:

• Funny 1

Players
216 posts
5,196 battles

Karma is just a rage reduction system so salty players can try to diminish your morale (only if you care) It does nothing to affect your game experience. 

• Cool 4

Players
314 posts
3,605 battles
Il y a 52 minutes, ColonelPete a dit :

Installing a mod to ignore karma? :Smile_teethhappy:

This playerbase always cracks me up :Smile_playing:

Okay. And ?

• Funny 1

[LEEUW]
Players
2,275 posts
10,045 battles

Funny is when i see matchmaking monitor screenshots on discord, it is always the red players who have zero karma. Hmm, I wonder why... :cap_hmm:

[BOTZ]
Players
344 posts
20,418 battles

Personally, as a player who has now racked up quite a few 4 week chat bans, I find that having about 130 karma is amusing.:Smile_sceptic:

Obviously karma is of no real benefit, so no point in getting emotional about it.

Playing Ranked is a thankless task in it self, so expect to lose karma, just like you would if you choose to play CV..........god I hate CV's, report the lot of them I say :Smile_trollface: 

[XTREM]
[XTREM]
Players
1,587 posts
13,507 battles
39 minutes ago, Captain_Breeze said:

Playing Ranked is a thankless task in it self, so expect to lose karma, just like you would if you choose to play CV..........god I hate CV's, report the lot of them I say :Smile_trollface: 

Playing CV in ranked is the ultimate way to lose Karma.

Or maybe going DD and yoloing mid is better? :cap_book:

• Cool 2

[PN4VY]
Players
69 posts
2,367 battles

How do you even see Karma? And which report option gives -1 to people?

[BOTZ]
Players
344 posts
20,418 battles
1 minute ago, lossi_2018 said:

Stop reporting CVs. Report bad plays and behavior regardless of class

Don't take away my fun. :Smile_sceptic:

• Cool 3
  • Funny 1
  • Bad 1

[PN4VY]
Players
69 posts
2,367 battles
6 minutes ago, lossi_2018 said:

Stop reporting CVs. Report bad plays and behavior regardless of class :Smile_izmena:

I spend all my reports on CVs, 7 day is sadly not enough. The yolo lords who die within 2 minutes and their extreme counterpart, the whiteliners, still don't negatively affect 22 other players nearly as much as the guy who decided to queue in a CV.

• Cool 2
  • Funny 2
  • Bad 2

[BOTZ]
Players
344 posts
20,418 battles
4 minutes ago, lossi_2018 said:

Stop reporting CVs. Report bad plays and behavior regardless of class

Spoken like a true CV player  :Smile_veryhappy:

[TTTX]
1,560 posts
14,548 battles

I think that karma is a good indicator of both how well you are playing as well as how toxic you are.

ZFjeFLS.jpg?1

This might be a bit weird for CV players though since they probably get a lot of unwarranted random reports. 

• Cool 2
  • Funny 1
  • Bad 1

[MDIV]
[MDIV]
Beta Tester
220 posts
12,343 battles

Can we all agree to Karma is a joke of itself?
The people with high fame and popularity gain the most karma points. It is as simple as that. Karma is an indicator for fame and popularity. But the peak of the iceberg is the poor judgement of people, who deliver their negative karma points to anybody, who do not fit their mood.

Karma does not work as intended mostly. or does anybody of wargaming staff has any numbers to offer, how many people are banned for being afk or insulting other players? Which is another topic of its own. Wargaming does not know, how to improve further features in their games? How about to stop pretending game destroying behaviour is a feature of random battles? This opens borders for vast gameplay improvment in years.

[GURKA]
Players
134 posts
14,501 battles
26 minutes ago, Blechhaube said:

Can we all agree to Karma is a joke of itself?
The people with high fame and popularity gain the most karma points. It is as simple as that. Karma is an indicator for fame and popularity. But the peak of the iceberg is the poor judgement of people, who deliver their negative karma points to anybody, who do not fit their mood.

Karma does not work as intended mostly. or does anybody of wargaming staff has any numbers to offer, how many people are banned for being afk or insulting other players? Which is another topic of its own. Wargaming does not know, how to improve further features in their games? How about to stop pretending game destroying behaviour is a feature of random battles? This opens borders for vast gameplay improvment for years. 

Very valid comments

[TTTX]
1,560 posts
14,548 battles
36 minutes ago, _BigRed__ said:

Very valid comments

I  emphatically disagree.

The karma system should be more relevant and it should be better but the notion that people who are on 0 karma are in that situation through no fault of their own is not accurate, in my opinion. 

Lots of the people that I know and play with have karma in the triple digits without even trying.  

• Cool 2

Players
1,498 posts
11,245 battles

Because it just fits here so well when it comes to karma. I've just finished a game where i was called a useless DD and was reported because i did not went straight for the cap. I played the Halland (huge boat without smoke, mediocre concealment and slow af) and this is what the detail report of a useless DD looks like according to some people …

EVFrINN.jpg

Especially pay attention to the damage upon spotting. Apparently yolo'ing into the cap and die in the first 3 minutes is better for some team mates. :Smile_facepalm:

And this is one of many reasons why karma is useless, sadly.

• Cool 1

[MDIV]
[MDIV]
Beta Tester
220 posts
12,343 battles
19 minutes ago, _Teob_ said:

people who are on 0 karma are in that situation through no fault of their own is not accurate

Wasn't my point either. Ask any streamer or clan member of a competitive clan (even forum members) about their actual karma points. these karma points are significantly higher, than of the average player. Why is that? If people recognize a name they tend to give a positive karma point for just knowing somebody. Since streamer have many eyes on them as well as competitive gamers it measures popularity.
Since there is no scale on how many points mean what, it strongly favors my point of Karma being only an indicator of fame and popularity. Counting popularity is contradictory to "good" behaviour. Ask yourself what karma is actualy measuring?

[BOTZ]
Players
344 posts
20,418 battles
28 minutes ago, _Teob_ said:

Lots of the people that I know and play with have karma in the triple digits without even trying.  

Ah, come on man, you are not an average player. You play in a super unicom clan, of course your gaming mates have great karma :Smile_Default: :Smile_honoring:

[TTTX]
1,560 posts
14,548 battles
13 minutes ago, Blechhaube said:

Wasn't my point either. Ask any streamer or clan member of a competitive clan (even forum members) about their actual karma points. these karma points are significantly higher, than of the average player. Why is that? If people recognize a name they tend to give a positive karma point for just knowing somebody. Since streamer have many eyes on them as competitive gamers as well it
Since there is no scale on how many points mean what, it strongly favors my point of Karma being only an indicator of fame and popularity. Counting popularity is contradictory to "good" behaviour. Ask yourself what karma is actualy measuring?

Streamers might have higher karma. I would assume you are right and fame plays a part.

However I think you are making some assumptions which I am not sure sure are true. I don't think members of famous clans get more karma since a lot of people absolutely hate certain clan tags. Also, and I realise this is totally anecdotal evidence but plenty of people who I am friends with are not part of any famous clan or anything but they are nice people and very very good players. Most of them tend to have very high karma.

My last argument about famous clans is that I know plenty of people from famous clans which can be a tad toxic in chat and they are on less than 100 karma all the time because they get reported to the moon and back.

I also don't know why popularity would be contradictory to good behaviour. 

The bottom line is this: if you play well and are also nice or at the very least you're not toxic in chat your karma will go up. If you play well but are also toxic in chat, your karma will go down. If you are a bad player and are also toxic in chat then I doubt you'll ever get above 0 karma.

Again, CV players have a different experience and I totally understand why they would have a frustrating experience with Karma.

Honestly, most of the time, people who complain about karma tend to have lots of "issues" on the forum as well and they are also often chat banned and, more often than not tend to be average players at best. I see a bit of a behavioural pattern here but I could very well be wrong.

Look, I am willing to do an experiment with anyone: we division for like 1 week so I can see all your chat, we try our best to play well and we compare your karma at the start of the week with karma at the end. If it goes up then we put this topic to rest. If anyone is willing to take me up on that, drop me a PM.

I can do this with or without a clan tag and in any game mode.

• Cool 3

Sign in to follow this