Jump to content
Flandre Bug Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
BigBadBeef

comment on my 19pt scharn/tirp captain and playstyle?

16 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

Players
17 posts
835 battles

shot-200429112356-0083.jpg

This is what I have right now. I have replaced manual secondaries for concealment for two reasons, Firstly, I need my secondaries shooting from both sides... just in case we got some heroic destroyer that suddenly got brave. Secondly, because Scharn 13.7km detection and Tirpitz 12.9 which is utter bulls***t levels of sneaky!

 

This is what my playstyle is- I use both ships to get as close as possible without getting detected in order to maximize the effectiveness of my inaccurate guns then is asses the situation. My intention is always that I don't play for objectives, but rather prevent the enemy from going for theirs. If the situation is favourable, I jump out with the tirpitz and ambush the enemy, causing chaos and confusion while I bully the enemy into abandoning their carefully laid plans. The scharnhorst on the other hand, I am being more cautious as it can't handle hits from the front. I hit the enemy from edge of cover, like a cruiser does, and only move out once the enemy is occupied.

 

What I've noticed is a consistent pattern of reactions to both my ships. While people react to the tirpitz like "OH SH**T! WHERE DID HE COME FROM? RUN!", on the other hand when people see a sharnhorst at close range and be like "WTF?!? SCHARNHORST? SINK HIM NOW!"

 

Why do people react so differently to both ships? I've seen Yamatos running terrified from my Tirpitz while in a Scharnorst I've had Tier 5 battleships try to take me head on while I often WON engagement against tier 9s. These are some of the most dangerous close range battleships of their respective tiers, both have a 6km "middle finger" zone of pain and suffering to anyone dumb enough to allow himself to be approached by one. Is it really the meta of where players of any tier lower than 8 just don't know their ships? Or just don't care? You can also see from the screens that I much more successful in a tirpitz than I am in a scharnhorst. But I used them mostly for run and moneymaking.

Annyways, I digress, Since this is my first 19pt captain, I would like to hear your oppinion. Would you make any changes to support your aforementioned playstyle?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[-OOF-]
Beta Tester
2,201 posts
9,971 battles

If you want secondary damage, you need manual secondaries. In theory having both sides blazing sounds like a good idea, but in practice the accuracy is just not up for the task unless you have a specific accuracy formula reserved for a select few ships (Massachutes, Georgia, Ohio, Graf Zep).

 

So if you want a secondary build this is the one I would go for:

Spoiler

beb750963e.jpg

If you want a tank focused build which is the most standard, this is the one to go for (first point can also be preventive maintenance, the last 2 points are personal prefernce):

Spoiler

f157f34808.jpg

These are the 2 builds that currently work for the Scharnhorst.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
17 posts
835 battles

How would such a captain behave in the Tirpitz?

Also note that I have invested in secondary ROF, when slugging it out in what is pretty much torpedo rage in both ships, the secondary batteries hit quite consistently, even cruisers. But I use them mostly for supression fire, and the psychological effect it has being pummeled so hard. They are effective enough so that I will never be able to spend all the flags I got for close quarters achievements!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[-OOF-]
Beta Tester
2,201 posts
9,971 battles
3 hours ago, BigBadBeef said:

How would such a captain behave in the Tirpitz?

Also note that I have invested in secondary ROF, when slugging it out in what is pretty much torpedo rage in both ships, the secondary batteries hit quite consistently, even cruisers. But I use them mostly for supression fire, and the psychological effect it has being pummeled so hard. They are effective enough so that I will never be able to spend all the flags I got for close quarters achievements!

Both of the builds posted above also work really well in the Tirpitz. Secondary spec work even better I would say as you get much further range on your secondaries and improved accuracy from manual secondaries as the Tipritz is a tier 8. BFT on a secondary build is not a bad choice, but personally I find more use of that extra heal that super intendent provide.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
17 posts
835 battles

I've tried those without stealth before... strangely those few hundred meters of extra camouflage make quite a difference if you plan not to shoot until its too late... for them!

But no vigilance? Those premiums don't have hydro you know!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[-OOF-]
Beta Tester
2,201 posts
9,971 battles
2 hours ago, BigBadBeef said:

I've tried those without stealth before... strangely those few hundred meters of extra camouflage make quite a difference if you plan not to shoot until its too late... for them!

But no vigilance? Those premiums don't have hydro you know!

. Vigilance is an alright skill if you don't have anything else to spend those points on, but with a secondary build you need other skills more like either extra survibality or damage output. With WASD hacks and some map awarness you don't even need Hydro or vigilance.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Modder
5,214 posts
23,492 battles
11 hours ago, BigBadBeef said:

 I have replaced manual secondaries for concealment for two reasons, Firstly, I need my secondaries shooting from both sides...

1. scenario: secondaries shooting on both sides is mainly viable when playing with bots

2. without manual secondaries, you can forget about hitting any DD, what is one of the most important point of secondary build

 

Perks

- Expert marksman is a waste of points on Scharnhorst, not needed for Tirpitz too.

-  Jack of all trades is better then High Alert, becouse you have your heal loading faster

- BFT is waste of points without manual secondaries

- on battleships you need Fire Prevention, or prepare for burning like a candle. Those HE spammers will salute You.

- adrenaline rush is a good perk for almost every ship.

 

My proposition is: or secondary build:

image.thumb.png.2fd0881c172afbe7f1b50ac62075c0e1.png

 

or pseudo secondary:

image.thumb.png.a16c8114532ccbc683f563ac3debe3ff.png 

 

if You want really CE on brawler, then change AFT to CE, and forget about secondaries. You have already torps ...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
17 posts
835 battles

Can you suggest a build that would incorporate the stealth in those ships?

And by the way, to be clear - I don't use secondaries specifically to kill destroyers, only to scare them away. I like the way I've configured my secondaries just fine the way they are. I am looking for minor changes to seamlessly improve my build... captain for BOTH ships.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Modder
5,214 posts
23,492 battles
40 minutes ago, BigBadBeef said:

Can you suggest a build that would incorporate the stealth in those ships?

And by the way, to be clear - I don't use secondaries specifically to kill destroyers, only to scare them away. I like the way I've configured my secondaries just fine the way they are. I am looking for minor changes to seamlessly improve my build... captain for BOTH ships.

Build 1 and change manual secondary perk to CE. In my games when using signal for more healing, i very rare use 5-th heal. But when to spent better those 3 points ? BFT will give you nothing. A few secondary shots for 1-2k maximum.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
17 posts
835 battles
6 hours ago, Odo_Toothless said:

Build 1 and change manual secondary perk to CE. In my games when using signal for more healing, i very rare use 5-th heal. But when to spent better those 3 points ? BFT will give you nothing. A few secondary shots for 1-2k maximum. 

Agreed. This is my new configuration. Considering what was spoken here, it will better conceal both physical and tactical weaknesses of the ships. I will now be able to know when I am being focused down and have compensated slightly for both ships' shitty deck armor. Approved?

Untitled.png

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[-OOF-]
Beta Tester
2,201 posts
9,971 battles
48 minutes ago, BigBadBeef said:

Agreed. This is my new configuration. Considering what was spoken here, it will better conceal both physical and tactical weaknesses of the ships. I will now be able to know when I am being focused down and have compensated slightly for both ships' shitty deck armor. Approved?

Untitled.png

Not sure what you mean about the bolded part as 50 mm deck is insanely good against direct HE damage.

 

And I still think manual secondaries are the way to go if you actually want them to be useful:Smile_hiding:But hey it's your build, just be sure to tell us how it works out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
17 posts
835 battles

Tirpitz and bismarck set on fire easily... just like german cars, specially if you're going after kiting enemies!

After a few hours of testing, I have noticed massive increases in survivability of both ships, scharnhorst has massively improved kiting potential due to increased fire resistance while the tirpitz is an even tougher nut to crack now. The lack of EM and BFT are barely noticeable. Your tips were right, speccing it so that it lessens their weaknesses instead of improving their strengts seems to agree with my playstyle a lot!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[-OOF-]
Beta Tester
2,201 posts
9,971 battles
4 minutes ago, BigBadBeef said:

Tirpitz and bismarck set on fire easily... just like german cars, specially if you're going after kiting enemies!

After a few hours of testing, I have noticed massive increases in survivability of both ships, scharnhorst has massively improved kiting potential due to increased fire resistance while the tirpitz is an even tougher nut to crack now. The lack of EM and BFT are barely noticeable. Your tips were right, speccing it so that it lessens their weaknesses instead of improving their strengts seems to agree with my playstyle a lot!

Nice that it works. But to clarify, the Tirpitz and Bismarck are not easier (or harder for that matter) to set on fire than any other tier 8 BB. Nearly all HE will just shatter and cause no damage when they hit their deck armour, and the superstructure will get saturated eventually. Fires will still be set even if the HE cause no damage, but fire damage can be healed back fully so with damage control managment you will still be a tough nut to crack.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AGEHZQsYzGE: How fires work.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
17 posts
835 battles

Well, if you have a lot of people shooting HE at you at the same time, the last thing that comes to your mind is assessing how the mechanics will affect you. Your first thought is GTFO or fight to the bitter end. I prefer the latter. Before I thought I could fight my way out of such a mess, but now it works better if I just tough it out. I end up surviving for longer and consequently doing more damage! Last battle of 1v5 and I did 105k dmg before I died, distracting a lot of enemy ships while my team seized the win!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[K2NGS]
Players
2 posts
3,506 battles

Is there any worth in considering a three 4-point variant with ManSec, AFT & CE? Currently running ManSec, AFT & IFHE in mine, to increase damage against battleships and heavy cruisers, but I am contemplating new possibilities.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[LAFIE]
Beta Tester
5,632 posts
6,096 battles
44 minutes ago, Infryndiira said:

Is there any worth in considering a three 4-point variant with ManSec, AFT & CE? Currently running ManSec, AFT & IFHE in mine, to increase damage against battleships and heavy cruisers, but I am contemplating new possibilities.

I'd take FP over CE to be perfectly honest..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sign in to follow this  

×