Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
del528461598

Invisible, suicidal destroyers

86 comments in this topic

Beta Tester
8 posts

So destroyers have the tendency to go invisible until they're right in your face, then unleash a concentrated salvo of insta=kill torps. Kills even battleships in 1 salvo.

My question is how do I deal with that?

And the ability to be invisible even at close range is really frustrating.

• Cool 3

[DMAS]
Beta Tester
304 posts
2,214 battles

I have one question for you. How did he manage to close the gap? You went very close to an island perhaps?

Edited by rigawe

[UNICS]
Beta Tester
4,481 posts
7,965 battles

The closest a DD can get to you without being spotted is 5.3km I believe (Minekaze and Mutsuki with tier 5 captain skill). The only other way for them to get closer while hidden is if you are even closer than that to a smoke screen and in that case you f***ed up.

• Cool 1

Weekend Tester
1,668 posts
32 battles

Well

DD pops smoke

completely stops in middle of smoke

starts firing

You do not spot her

You go find her(because you dodger 2 of her torp salvos)

You spot her from 2 km

He shotguns you with torps before you kill her

GG WP

• Cool 5

Beta Tester
59 posts
970 battles

That's why BBs were screened with cruisers and destroyers. They are not a solo pawn mobile and if unprotected can easily be taken down by a destroyer.

[DMAS]
Beta Tester
304 posts
2,214 battles

well almost every map has plenty of islands to sneak through

He got to 10km because of the islands, then he closed the gap with smoke and dodging shells with a little zig zagging

So basically, with a BB you go very close to island, and then don't understand how you get ambushed?
  • Cool 4

[STGGC]
Beta Tester
173 posts
829 battles

well almost every map has plenty of islands to sneak through

He got to 10km because of the islands, then he closed the gap with smoke and dodging shells with a little zig zagging

Well I don't mean to call what you say impossible, but let me raise a few things that would'ave happened in this case.

1. He got to within 10km by an island

DDs don't need islands to get to within 10km. Their detect-ability falls way below that

2. Closed the gap with smoke

You see the smoke. And he always appears out the front of the smoke from time to time. That's not invisible. you see the smoke and you're still going towards it?

[CMP]
Weekend Tester
441 posts
3,830 battles

You people need to chill lol.

I never cried "destroyer op!!" anywhere in this thread.

I just asked how can I deal with that

You ping the map, and keep your distance from the smoke. It's a cruiser/dd job to hunt them down for you. Just keep an eye out or a good angle, so you can dodge the torps that are going to come at you.

Or you sacrifice a goat to your lord and saviour RNGesus   and throw a few of those huge shells his way ... if you hit he's a dead destroyer :)

The best / most dangerous destroyer captain give you almost no warning and leave you very little chance to survive .... Even in my Cruisers the good ones sometimes win against me, even without islands. Then again, if you have a good carrier on your team they won't be able to get near without getting spotted (planes are win against sneaky DD's) 

Edited by Hummus
  • Cool 1

[EIRE]
[EIRE]
Beta Tester
326 posts
19,187 battles

it is fairly easy. Keep away from islands. When you see a DD approach, turn and travel away while firing.

Try and stay near CAs, they have a much higher rate of fire and can kill DDs easily.

[GN0ME]
Beta Tester
5,339 posts
1,891 battles

Well

DD pops smoke

completely stops in middle of smoke

starts firing

You do not spot her

You go find her(because you dodger 2 of her torp salvos)

You spot her from 2 km

He shotguns you with torps before you kill her

GG WP

In game BB mission is to deal with other battleships and cruisers its not dealing with destroyers

Destroyer's main mission is to kill battleships

I just asked how can I deal with that

you can keep watching around you and the map when you are reloading and if you stay away from islands, protect your cruisers against BBs and CAs your cruisers will protect you or you can protect your low tier(below tier7) US BB team mates they are practicly heavy cruisers that can deal with destroyers if they push it enough

destroyers are harder to play but if you know how to play a destoryer it can get a lot more fun how? well the only thing you should know is if you see a US DD getting closer just stay away from him tag the map at the end game there isnt much you can do anyways also if they are in 6 km range they will be shot by secondary and you can also fire HE to them they ahve 14 mm armour at best you will pen and with new update HE pretty much can one shot destoryers

Edited by Userext

Beta Tester
71 posts
90 battles

cracks me up how DD drivers dont realize there is a problem with the detection range. I cant tell you how many times DD's vanish without smoke inside of that 5k range on the open sea.

Weekend Tester
1,668 posts
32 battles

In game BB mission is to deal with other battleships and cruisers its not dealing with destroyers

Destroyer's main mission is to kill battleships

I was in a Pensacola when this happened

In ocean

With spotting plane and everything....

[GN0ME]
Beta Tester
5,339 posts
1,891 battles

cracks me up how DD drivers dont realize there is a problem with the detection range. I cant tell you how many times DD's vanish without smoke inside of that 5k range on the open sea.

dude DUDE 

that detection range " stealth " is the only thing destoryers have

within 5 km range a DD CANNOT vanish which determines you are a liar

at best a DD(minekaze) can be seen in 5.4km range which to get that kind of commander xp you have to play at least 200 games and no one plays that much at minekaze

dont be bullshitting here 

[GN0ME]
Beta Tester
5,339 posts
1,891 battles

I was in a Pensacola when this happened

In ocean

With spotting plane and everything....

This is the exact reason why US lost the battle at vietnam

you just dont go in the forest where the enemy hides because your enemy would not hide in a place where he does not know

DDs are fine they got hit harder and it is harder to play dont be talking empty here now please in smoke a ship can be seen from 2km i think you people are over reacting

Beta Tester
137 posts
2,896 battles

at best a DD(minekaze) can be seen in 5.4km range which to get that kind of commander xp you have to play at least 200 games and no one plays that much at minekaze

H1ATvfG.jpg
Edited by NettiWelho
  • Cool 1

Weekend Tester
1,668 posts
32 battles

This is the exact reason why US lost the battle at vietnam

you just dont go in the forest where the enemy hides because your enemy would not hide in a place where he does not know

DDs are fine they got hit harder and it is harder to play dont be talking empty here now please in smoke a ship can be seen from 2km i think you people are over reacting

Well, you know the guy fired all his torpedoes at me and he was like 7 km away when he vanished

Then he started putting continuous HE salvos at me, by the time I found him- completely sitting still in the middle of his smokescreen

I was down to 50% HP, he took down half my health

and since I have some experience with DDs myself, I know(knew) that in the smokescreen you only get spotted when you do not fire, yet he didn't get spotted until I was 2 km from him

I killed him ofc, putted 5 203 mm HE into his ship then the secondaries finished the job

You see the problem was that the smokescreen is either bugged as hell or just broken

Edited by Bl4ckh0g

Beta Tester
71 posts
90 battles

dude DUDE 

that detection range " stealth " is the only thing destoryers have

within 5 km range a DD CANNOT vanish which determines you are a liar

dont be bullshitting here 

dude dude...I am NOT lying.and I am not saying take away their stealth or change their range. All I am saying is something is affecting their visibility such that they do in fact vanish inside 5k. I don't know if its a lag problem, a client position update failure communicating with the server, or something else entirely. It DOES happen though.
  • Cool 1

Alpha Tester
797 posts

There is even a reason to play other DD?

It DOES happen though.

And only to you. Maybe you are cursed or something.

[GN0ME]
Beta Tester
5,339 posts
1,891 battles

why though? 300k exp why are you playing with minekaze so much?

and since you have that much exp in the ship tell us do you think there is a problem with DDs?

[SCRUB]
Alpha Tester
17,384 posts
5,400 battles

H1ATvfG.jpg

edit: sorry was looking with my arse instead of my eyes ;)

Minekaze OP right xD

Edited by mtm78

[GN0ME]
Beta Tester
5,339 posts
1,891 battles

Well, you know the guy fired all his torpedoes at me and he was like 7 km away when he vanished

Then he started putting continuous HE salvos at me, by the time I found him- completely sitting still in the middle of his smokescreen

I was down to 50% HP, he took down half my health

and since I have some experience with DDs myself, I know(knew) that in the smokescreen you only get spotted when you do not fire, yet he didn't get spotted until I was 2 km from him

I killed him ofc, putted 5 203 mm HE into his ship then the secondaries finished the job

You see the problem was that the smokescreen is either bugged as hell or just broken

again i  asking you why were you chasing an enemy that can hide in woods? that is the first combat rule "you dont go after the enemy where he can use the terrain better than you" why would a japanese BB try to fight a US BB in close range? IJN BB has better range so an IJN BB should use that advantage

there is nothing wrong here a DD can and will be invisible in the smoke but he will pop up when he fires which probably there is a problem with client side. maybe because of smoke your frames went down too much and you couldnt see him

Also probably that guy was in US DD which i dont know much about they tend to have bad consealment and good guns and since he was brave enough to fire from the smoke i put my money on US DD

Beta Tester
137 posts
2,896 battles

Minekaze is a very enjoyable ship and unlike the higher tiers most people are completely oblivious to the threat of DD torpedo attacks and just sail in a straight line, never minding the torpedoes; Like shooting fish in a barrel.

[SCRUB]
Alpha Tester
17,384 posts
5,400 battles

Minekaze is a very enjoyable ship and unlike the higher tiers most people are completely oblivious to the threat of DD torpedo attacks and just sail in a straight line, never minding the torpedoes; Like shooting fish in a barrel.

So like I said, Minekaze OP. There is a reason everyone agrees it's the best DD on the IJN line, with his his torp rof and low detectability range.

Sign in to follow this