You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
TheDraconicLord

So... Izumo. How do I use her?

57 comments in this topic

Beta Tester
74 posts
89 battles

Hello all! First post, I admit because I REALLY need help. 

Right, so far before the patch hit, I was grinding my way up to the mighty Yamato. I was 35k shy from unlocking her but then the patch hit and with it, Izumo.

Until now, my playstyle has always been one where I try to be the "tank" for the cruisers / DDs: 

- I started the game trading long-range salvos against other BBs as I moved to a capture point. 

- I went full speed ahead to help capture points, making sure I got the enemies attention so our cruisers/DDs would stay safe. (At least that was the plan)

- I'd keep closing in so my secondary batteries would be of use. My captain currently has the +20% range uprade skill and my Amagi also had the +20% so I'd start blasting away at 6.9Kms. 

Now, I admit, I feel useless and lost. Izumo is made of paper, the thing has 157mm of armor! From what I tried, either I stay at a longer range or I just ... die.

Am I missing something? All IJN battleships had plenty of armor, Amagi had a big drop compared with Nagato, but it still was 270mm (IIRC). This Izumo right before Yamato (with 410mm) is forcing me to adopt this weird play-style I really dislike so I'm very frustrated so far. 

• Cool 2

Weekend Tester
1,668 posts
32 battles

Step 1. Press Battle button

Step 2. Fire guns

Step 3. ???

Step 4. Profit

have no idea really, play it as a BC maybe, hunt CAs

Edited by Bl4ckh0g
  • Cool 1

Alpha Tester
5,609 posts
5,568 battles

have no idea really, play it as a BC maybe, hunt CAs

That's actually bad idea, Even 6 tier cruisers are doing enormous damage to the Izumo with any type of ammo. I can't really imagine any play style for that ship, too fragile for close combat, too big and clumsy for middle range and the accuracy is bad on the long range. I've never ever seen a ship that need buff, and a seriously big buff, like this one.

On a side note, it's main guns researchable module have some hidden stat to recompense for the less AP damage or WG treats us like a complete morons and give us 10000xp module that is worse than stock one?

Beta Tester
1,520 posts
1,475 battles

That's actually bad idea, Even 6 tier cruisers are doing enormous damage to the Izumo with any type of ammo. I can't really imagine any play style for that ship, too fragile for close combat, too big and clumsy for middle range and the accuracy is bad on the long range. I've never ever seen a ship that need buff, and a seriously big buff, like this one.

On a side note, it's main guns researchable module have some hidden stat to recompense for the less AP damage or WG treats us like a complete morons and give us 10000xp module that is worse than stock one?

Aren't the upgraded guns longer barrel versions with more pen and accuracy? (Can't open the game right now to look at them)
Edited by Kirasa

[VC]
Weekend Tester
114 posts
10,457 battles

Aren't the upgraded guns longer barrel versions with more pen and accuracy? (Can't open the game right now to look at them)

For me it felt better after mounting the longer guns. I could score almost no citadel hits with stock guns and the upgraded ones started to change that. I think they have more penetration but it could be RNG trolling me in the games before, too.

Still, Izumo is the worst ship I've played so far...

[GN0ME]
Beta Tester
5,339 posts
1,891 battles

Izumo is the new VK4502B(before the buff) that leads to an armoured beast but has no armour itself. Oh WG why do you like to repeat yourself :rolleyes:

• Cool 3

[-I-N-]
Beta Tester
3,111 posts
4,741 battles

I have yet to unlock the Izumo but as far as I can tell it's a crap ship. It stands no chance against my Amagi, I have more armor, more accuracy and more guns. If I remember correctly the hull of the Izumo only got up to 102mm armor (0.3.1 stats) which is less than my T8 Mogami got.

On top of all it's flaws it's also pretty ugly:sceptic:

• Cool 1

Alpha Tester
5,609 posts
5,568 battles

That what i would like to know. Certainly not more accuracy, spread is the same, but it is long barrel upgraded 41 cm naval gun and i guess it should have faster shells. That is not dispayed in game though.

Pro tip:

1. Sell all BBs

2. Buy DDs

3. Buy me a Happy Meal for the fabulous pro tip.

Hmm, it seems that a lot of people are acually following this advice, since HE buff i seen more DD's than ever in beta before.

Edit: Ok, maybe without the 3. :P

On top of all it's flaws it's also pretty ugly:sceptic:

I wonder how they came up with this, of every possible A140 concept they chosen not only the ugliest, but also the shittiest with the 3rd turrent in wrong direction. Even British didn't borked the Rodney that way...

Edited by Vanhal

[MIMI]
Beta Tester
1,333 posts

That what i would like to know. Certainly not more accuracy, spread is the same, but it is long barrel upgraded 41 cm naval gun and i guess it should have faster shells. That is not dispayed in game though.

Hmm, it seems that a lot of people are acually following this advice, since HE buff i seen more DD's than ever in beta before.

I wonder how they came up with this, of every possible A140 concept they chosen not only the ugliest, but also the shittiest with the 3rd turrent in wrong direction. Even British didn't borked the Rodney that way...

Oh yeah? No Happy Meal so far :(

[SPUDS]
Beta Tester
4,045 posts
7,552 battles

but also the shittiest with the 3rd turrent in wrong direction. Even British didn't borked the Rodney that way...

Yup. That turret is called the 'derp' turret by those I know that has it. It serves no advantage like that. Arguably it is even worse than a regular 2-1 setup as it has the same bad traverse, but has the superstructure in the way to shooting backwards.

I do wonder why they didn't pick one of the designs with that turret facing forwards... I guess we will see when Rodney arrives, how much better that setup is.

[PAD]
Supertester
165 posts
11,985 battles

The chosen plan of A140 in game is designed to shorten the citidal by put 3 turrents frontal, so that the armor belt can be focused into a smaller part to enhance the overall protection and save displacement. While in game, the point "protection" is totally missing :(

Players
2 posts
1,552 battles
[edited]
Edited by BigBadVuk
This post has been edited by a member of the Moderation Team, due to inappropriate content.

Beta Tester
45 posts
11,275 battles

View PostTheDraconicLord, on 16 May 2015 - 12:46 PM, said:

Hello all! First post, I admit because I REALLY need help. 

Right, so far before the patch hit, I was grinding my way up to the mighty Yamato. I was 35k shy from unlocking her but then the patch hit and with it, Izumo.

Until now, my playstyle has always been one where I try to be the "tank" for the cruisers / DDs: 

- I started the game trading long-range salvos against other BBs as I moved to a capture point. 

- I went full speed ahead to help capture points, making sure I got the enemies attention so our cruisers/DDs would stay safe. (At least that was the plan)

- I'd keep closing in so my secondary batteries would be of use. My captain currently has the +20% range uprade skill and my Amagi also had the +20% so I'd start blasting away at 6.9Kms. 

Now, I admit, I feel useless and lost. Izumo is made of paper, the thing has 157mm of armor! From what I tried, either I stay at a longer range or I just ... die.

Am I missing something? All IJN battleships had plenty of armor, Amagi had a big drop compared with Nagato, but it still was 270mm (IIRC). This Izumo right before Yamato (with 410mm) is forcing me to adopt this weird play-style I really dislike so I'm very frustrated so far. 

She is the angle king, you have an advantage with no rear turret, you dont need to turn flat broadside to fire all your guns, at the beginning head forward at an angle line up you shot fire and turn away, even running away she can get off a full salvo and leave a small angle for the enemy to penetrate, if you do it correctly all the enemy will have to fire on is your flat [edited]or a forward face if you are advancing.

The guns have a sweet spot for accurate shells they can be incredibly bunched together.

She can take huge amounts of punishment and dish it out just as much.

Stock she is underwhelming but fully pimped she is a beast.

View PostOldJoe, on 05 June 2015 - 11:46 AM, said:

For me it felt better after mounting the longer guns. I could score almost no citadel hits with stock guns and the upgraded ones started to change that. I think they have more penetration but it could be RNG trolling me in the games before, too.

Still, Izumo is the worst ship I've played so far...

with the stock guns i would hit full flat broadside and do 1290 damage, that number just keeps popping up with shots that should hammer 

Beta Tester
170 posts
3,612 battles

This ship makes me miss the Nagato, very frustrading to play, a big part of the problem right now is the HE shells vs AP shells. I fear cruisers more then battleships, battleship basicly have to hit the citadels to do more damage then a cruiser, it is kinda stupid. And then you shoot them with AP and get 2 hits and 1260 damage, while they hit your for 4-9000 damage, with the bonus firedamage. I hope this is something that they are put high on their list, because being on fire 3-5 times in a battle is not fun.

[SCRUB]
Alpha Tester
17,384 posts
5,400 battles

Dude, there are no ivites. If you want to play it, you have to go the the shop

https://eu.wargaming.net/shop/wows/

and buy a ship. With it you will get access to the CBT. But that you can read right there.

That is one response one can give, I would do the same to someone actually asking how to get in the game. But someone who asks for a key, I simply wait for the vukkening to happen :trollface:

[COSTS]
Alpha Tester
725 posts
21,669 battles

I just stopped playing the Izumo, it's no match for any tier 8 BB or cruiser and frankly I have no idea what it is doing at tier 9 because it gets eaten alive by everything that sails around at that tier.

Beta Tester
110 posts
9,995 battles

I just stopped playing the Izumo, it's no match for any tier 8 BB or cruiser and frankly I have no idea what it is doing at tier 9 because it gets eaten alive by everything that sails around at that tier.

I got sick of it being so bad, so I started playing destroyers and also continue on with my cruisers. after the game is released I will go usa with bs.

[L7P]
Beta Tester
88 posts
6,578 battles

I got sick of it being so bad, so I started playing destroyers and also continue on with my cruisers. after the game is released I will go usa with bs.

Well, they have some bad ships aswell. 

Like going from the new mexico to the colorado ...... 

Alpha Tester
5,609 posts
5,568 battles

Well, they have some bad ships aswell. 

Like going from the new mexico to the colorado ...... 

Colorado is pretty fun actually, it have incredibly good armor. But i would exchange its 4x2 406 mm turrets with 4x3 356 or even 203 mm. Damage and penetration are good, but the accuracy, rate of fire and turet traverse is horrible. In short: don't duel with cruisers. Seriously don't, even if you win he will massacre you.

Alpha Tester
127 posts
652 battles

I'm grinding the Yamato and I'm not amused by the Izumo.

The only reasoning I can find for it's placement at tier 9 is that nothing else is available, currently. Anyway the Izumo is a battlecruiser gone pseudo battleship which fails in either role due to game mechanics and tier 9 MM.

The guns on it are not better than the Amagis, certainly worse than the Iowas, and that's in reload and accuracy. Contrary to the belief that the all forward gun placement is beneficial - it is not. That's because the third turret cannot fire in a 90° or so angle directly ahead, which means you have to angle her in order bring all her guns to bear on target. And that's a bad thing because she has very bad armor and very WIDE FLAT hull, especially the rear, so if you take a hit from a large caliber gun directly on top of your deck - there's a good chance it will pen. Not to mention the fires every other cruiser salvo will start.

So if you take a classic battleship layout with a rear mounted turret you do not gain anything with the Izumos layout.

Cruisers at tier 9, like the Baltimore, simply burn the Izumo to death since she can't outrun them or out gun them at range. But that's a general fire mechanic problem although more prominent for the Izumo again due to the wide, flat, hull.

If she's meant to play as a battlecruiser (which makes no sense to me as it's leading to a command battleship) then she needs to be buffed. Since armor can't be, the only thing that remains is better reload and primary battery accuracy to deal with cruisers effectively. Buffing speeds to unrealistic levels of around 35kts would not help as it can't take the hits at mid range or hit anything at long range.

[W_SEE]
Beta Tester
33 posts
1,693 battles

I hated the ship at first but more i play it the more ok it becomes. Not great but ok.

The armor is not great but its not really the worst,150 something mm stat that was present in previous patch semes to be a bug or something as the armor feels more in range of 300+ mm.

The guns are inaccurate even with the upgraded module and from close range,and i mean really inaccurate but they tend to penetrate really well,especially targets with high armor.It almoust feels stronger then iowa in close combat but as i have not played iowa just fought against it take this with a grain of salt.

AP overpenetrates cruisers to much and thats bit of an isue