Flandre Bug Read more... ×
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
DrMechano

German CA, the Line WG forgot existed.

69 comments in this topic

[501L]
Players
381 posts
4,327 battles

Lets be honest, the German CA line has been woefully powercreeped. The Hindenburg and Roon both had a reload nerf which, in the eyes of many, wasn't needed. Basically anything they can do, the other lines can do a lot better. Firestarting? Zao and Goliath. High pen AP? RU cruisers. HE damage? Goliath and Des Moine thanks to its 5 second reload. Range and kiting? Again Zao (thanks to the legendary module). Tanking? Ru Cruisers. 

Generally they feel just kinda crap compared to every other nations CAs. The Roon, especially with its bizarre gun layout, just doesn't feel fun to play.

• Cool 3
  • Funny 3

[SHAD]
Players
3,421 posts
14,119 battles

The reload was unneeded and is now better than it ever was on the Hindy.

They so also have an extra heal compared to other cruisers.

They are very balanced ships with few real

weaknesses. 
I don’t think they need a buff.

• Cool 1

[TTT]
[TTT]
Players
1,605 posts
13,892 battles

First of all get informed, the Reload Change got balanced back in addition to that they have better HE Penetration. They start a very respectable ammount of fires and their ap if you use it right still hits like a truck, you just need to Embrace her as the Flanker she is.

[CHEFT]
Players
12,212 posts
9,841 battles

But they reversed the Hindenburg nerf, it has now 0,2 sec better reload than before, AND an extra heal ontop of that.

German CAs have always been jack of all trades. They arent best in anything, but good in everything.

Alltho i agree, id rather have better AP pen than the high HE pen with low alpha.

• Cool 2

[BYOB]
[BYOB]
Players
4,955 posts
21,991 battles

I love to call out the clown shoes on their balancing failures. But German CAs ain't it chief.

Hindy is in a very good spot now. Yorck got a massive armor buff recently.

While ships like Adm. Hippo might use some love they aren't the worst. In fact compared to recent CA lines the Germans stand strong.

• Cool 1

[501L]
Players
381 posts
4,327 battles

Maybe it's because I just got the Roon on my NA account and am basically suffering 1 win for every 3-4 losses despite putting out decent damage numbers in her. I mean this is my stats on the Roon

image.thumb.png.20114a9c54a384a4d199bbcb6446e3f1.png

So you can understand how frustrating it is. Just the Roon feels like a complete turkey compared to the Hipper.

Players
1,991 posts
14,083 battles
20 minutes ago, DrMechano said:

Maybe it's because I just got the Roon on my NA account and am basically suffering 1 win for every 3-4 losses despite putting out decent damage numbers in her. I mean this is my stats on the Roon

image.thumb.png.20114a9c54a384a4d199bbcb6446e3f1.png

So you can understand how frustrating it is. Just the Roon feels like a complete turkey compared to the Hipper.

She is not, but you need to play Roon slightly differently to Hipper. And you only have 8 battles.

[501L]
Players
381 posts
4,327 battles
1 minute ago, Taliesn said:

She is not, but you need to play Roon slightly differently to Hipper. And you only have 8 battles.

True but jesus...she is starting to feel like a cursed ship, another 2 games...another 2 losses...again, damage and destroyed is fine, everything else is fine but the WR just keeps on tanking...

[CHEFT]
Players
12,212 posts
9,841 battles
22 minutes ago, DrMechano said:

Maybe it's because I just got the Roon on my NA account and am basically suffering 1 win for every 3-4 losses despite putting out decent damage numbers in her.

8 games doesnt mean anything.

1 minute ago, DrMechano said:

True but jesus...she is starting to feel like a cursed ship, another 2 games...another 2 losses...again, damage and destroyed is fine, everything else is fine but the WR just keeps on tanking...

What targets are you focussing? Try to use AP even at longer range broadsides, it does hurt. Almost 2k pen damage is no joke.

Players
1,991 posts
14,083 battles
2 minutes ago, DrMechano said:

Well it can be down to a small sample size, bad luck or the ship not fitting your style. It happens, I can't for the life of me make Daring work, and it's a good DD. Are you playing stock Roon? That wouldn't help.

Anyway, keep going and sell her once you reach Hindy if you didn't like her. 

Quality Poster
2,376 posts
17,720 battles

The German AP is utterly pathetic on their high tiered cruisers and are in dire need of a buff. This buff is all the more necessary for them to stay competitive with these new stupid Russian ships.

THAT SAID, the German heavy cruisers are far from the most screwed line in recent history. The British heavy cruiser line, despite being incredibly new, still boasts woefully poor specimens of cruisers especially towards the higher tiers. The Italian cruisers are so heavily lopsided and minmaxed that I can't use any word for it but just broken. The American heavy cruiser line suffers from being strong ships once, but being left behind after change after change slowly rendered them less and less effective.

• Cool 1

[CR33D]
[CR33D]
Players
3,173 posts
29,695 battles
1 minute ago, dasCKD said:

Honestly, how are people THAT bad with the Neptune?

Neptune is not very forgiving ship. If you made mistake you are probably dead. But if you play correctly it is a great ship.

• Cool 1

Players
1,991 posts
14,083 battles
2 minutes ago, dasCKD said:

Easiest ship in her tier to citadel to death. No contest.

[501L]
Players
381 posts
4,327 battles
5 minutes ago, dasCKD said:

I'm honestly more surprised that people are terrible in the Saint Louis, she's not an awful ship by any stretch of the imagination. The Neptune I can totally get, someone so much as looks at you and you exploded into a mass of citadel hits.

• Cool 2

[CHEFT]
Players
12,212 posts
9,841 battles
7 minutes ago, dasCKD said:

I think WG showed T9 Cruiser stats once based upon player "skill". Neptune was last till top 20-15% IIRC, when it basicly overtook all others.

I rather wonder, how St Louis is last...

[NSVE]
[NSVE]
Players
424 posts
13,140 battles
27 minutes ago, dasCKD said:

The American heavy cruiser line suffers from being strong ships once, but being left behind after change after change slowly rendered them less and less effective.

Have you not read on the dev blog that US cruisers are getting a MASSIVE buff if PT works out? 

1102768045_USwows.thumb.png.b4fb6b215b72c76f42187172c7912817.png

Scarcasm.png.211993da822c87a438766e13f01ee757.png

[OCTO]
Players
393 posts
8,422 battles
58 minutes ago, ColonelPete said:

Roon does not look stellar, but other ships need more help.

image.thumb.png.6ebccbef7da10cc1f8cd44fdc8eea50c.png

http://maplesyrup.sweet.coocan.jp/wows/ranking/20200418/eu_2month/average_ship_u.html

I don't get how Saint-Louis has stats that bad... since in my eyes is a great ship(rudder tends to blow out but other than that it's top notch).

• Cool 1

[COMFY]
Players
264 posts
2,755 battles

I dont like that Germans trade HE dmg for HE Pen and AP pen for AP Dmg, but besides that i dont really see any problems with them.

Players
8,456 posts
9,251 battles
5 minutes ago, VanD4rk said:

I don't get how Saint-Louis has stats that bad... since in my eyes is a great ship(rudder tends to blow out but other than that it's top notch).

Guess most people just farm BBs at range, until they get blapped. Damage is ok, WR is crap, average kills is bad, hit rate is only better than the floaty light cruisers, base attack and base defense is absolute trash.

It's a good ship, but you ought to do more than just try burn some BB down to win with them.

[OCTO]
Players
393 posts
8,422 battles
2 hours ago, DrMechano said:

Generally they feel just kinda crap compared to every other nations CAs.

The german Cruiser line is a jack of all trades as others mentioned, but it is very good in the  HE pen and spam combined with good to awesome RoF once you hit Hindi.

WG added some general ingame wiki with pros and cons related to ship lines this patch or the previous one, which I think it's great for new players, and should have been added earlier.

This line seems ok but unimpressive in my eyes, that is why I was never eager to grind it.

I'm also reluctant in getting pass the Hipper since Roon really seems odd, and it has been years since I played Nurenberg with that turret layout. But Hindi is worth it.

Players
8,456 posts
9,251 battles
9 minutes ago, VanD4rk said:

I'm also reluctant in getting pass the Hipper since Roon really seems odd, and it has been years since I played Nurenberg with that turret layout. But Hindi is worth it.

If you can work with Hipper, you can work with Roon. Hipper is basically the worst ship in the line. Roon gives some ok dpm and a repair party. Turret layout doesn't matter too much, you are fighting at range for most of the game anyway and you can kite well. When going in, just don't make weird changes in directionb that necessitate your turrets to turn around.

• Cool 1

[ENUF_]
Beta Tester
318 posts
17,268 battles

Give Hipper, Roon and Hindenburg 7+km base secondary range like german BBs and they are gonna be fun to play with meme builds.

• Cool 2

[CHEFT]
Players
12,212 posts
9,841 battles
4 minutes ago, Captn_Crap said:

Give Hipper, Roon and Hindenburg 7+km base secondary range like german BBs and they are gonna be fun to play with meme builds.

There might have been a chance if they would have gone through with the Ägir secondary approach... which they didnt. So i guess secondary cruisers is a failed concept for WG by now.