Server Maintenance - January 18, 6:00 CET (5:00 UTC) Read more... ×
Server Maintenance - January 18, 6:00 CET (5:00 UTC) Read more... ×
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Lord_Dildeaux

World of Weird scale

32 comments in this topic

Players
299 posts
692 battles

Ships are like 1-2 kilometers long iirc. Go park next to a Battleship and aim to the other end and check the range :D

Beta Tester
2,119 posts
4,874 battles

Ships are like 1-2 kilometers long iirc. Go park next to a Battleship and aim to the other end and check the range :D

No.

The scale looks legit to me, but I'll show you in a second what I mean.

Weekend Tester
1,668 posts
32 battles

If ships would have their real world size, you would only fire freaking dots from 20 km.

• Cool 1

Alpha Tester
5,609 posts
5,568 battles

No.

The scale looks legit to me, but I'll show you in a second what I mean.

They are approximately 4-5 times as big as they should be in game scale.

If ships would have their real world size, you would only fire freaking dots from 20 km.

Od course, but i would prefer decreasing all ranges to match the scale, it would be better to have 4 km shooting range equal 20 km than having double scale totally borking awareness. 4km secondary range? Nope, thats only 4 ship lenghts. 3km AA range? They must be almost right above you. Torpedo spotting from sometimes less than 1 km (as it was in alpha)? Surprise, that's less than one ship lenght...

• Cool 1

[PKTZS]
Weekend Tester
2,408 posts
14,615 battles

Compared to the distance scales, my impression is that ships are about twice the real size. I could do with ships to scale and ranges halved for playability reasons.

And WG, please, remove those ridiculous dwarf villages.They ain't nothing but more polys and textures for the us that have a PC barely capable of running the game.

Beta Tester
722 posts
11,928 battles

And WG, please, remove those ridiculous dwarf villages.They ain't nothing but more polys and textures for the us that have a PC barely capable of running the game.

^This. I'm fine with any type of offset, upscale etc. Just do it consistently. Doing it like this adds absolutely nothing to the ambient experience.

Beta Tester
2,119 posts
4,874 battles

5.5m is not too bad. The houses have 3-4 close-set windows, so each of those windows would be 70-80cm across.

It seems small considering our modern buildings, but I think it's fairly realistic.

MmwYCrC.jpg

Beta Tester
468 posts
4,871 battles

Uh, I am more worried about the houses in the back and particularly those on the back right, they look absolutely miniscule!

Beta Tester
2,119 posts
4,874 battles

They're also like 300 meters away and would be small in reality too.

You know, during WW2 people actually lived in those tiny huts, you know? Even destroyers are very large compared to them.

It's possible that the houses are not completely to scale, but there's definitely not a lot of difference.

You know, there are 148 men (and no women) on that Minekaze. There's probably only a family of 4-5 tops in one of those houses.

I think a lot of people aren't really aware how large even destroyers are.

• Cool 1

Players
299 posts
692 battles

They're also like 300 meters away and would be small in reality too.

You know, during WW2 people actually lived in those tiny huts, you know? Even destroyers are very large compared to them.

It's possible that the houses are not completely to scale, but there's definitely not a lot of difference.

You know, there are 148 men (and no women) on that Minekaze. There's probably only a family of 4-5 tops in one of those houses.

I think a lot of people aren't really aware how large even destroyers are.

Those buildings are multi story multi apartments. 

Beta Tester
561 posts
3,550 battles

Uh, I am more worried about the houses in the back and particularly those on the back right, they look absolutely miniscule!

Those are just small shacks, for storing boat related stuff and other things.
  • Cool 1

Weekend Tester
184 posts
381 battles

Those buildings are multi story multi apartments. 

What???? No they're not, They look a lot like these http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canal_house albeit not in holland

Players
299 posts
692 battles

What???? No they're not, They look a lot like these http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canal_house albeit not in holland

Nah those look about twice as wide as double-wide canal houses in Amsterdam. There's a lot of these kinds of buildings along the Baltic coast in Germany and Denmark. 

10417048-old-townhouses-at-the-canal-in-

Modder
2,269 posts

Wish there was no such houses on maps, it looks unrealistic in the game currently, remainds me this when I play:

Scale%2BModel%2Bused%2Bby%2BJapanese.jpg

Driving a mock up ship... in mock up world.

[SCRUB]
Alpha Tester
17,384 posts
5,400 battles

Wish there was no such houses on maps, it looks unrealistic in the game currently, remainds me this when I play:

Scale%2BModel%2Bused%2Bby%2BJapanese.jpg

Driving a mock up ship... in mock up world.

Lol that actually looks kinda cool, pretty sure my son would call it awesome even :B

Beta Tester
615 posts
1,251 battles

Actually what bothers me with those houses is why they don't match the scale of the ground textures underneath them, or why they are perched on bare rock with no kind of streets or pathways connecting any of them!  LOL

Edited by Battledragon

Beta Tester
722 posts
11,928 battles

smurf.png

i found smurf village

Well spotted Richard! So, now we've found the hobbits and those pesky smurfs. Anyone up for Ant-Man?
Edited by Architekton

Weekend Tester
131 posts
3,088 battles

that black and whites a japense mock up of pearl isnt that battleship row?

[SPUDS]
Beta Tester
4,045 posts
7,544 battles

Since we are on the topic of scale, have anyone noticed that at least some BBs appear to be remarkably small compared to the other ships?

I noticed this myself when it got pointed out and in a battle an Omaha collided with a Wyoming. The Omaha looked like a giant in comparison. I do understand that the USN BBs were short affairs, but even the mighty Yamato looks rather small when compared to cruisers. And the Amagi most certainly so.

[SCRUB]
Alpha Tester
17,384 posts
5,400 battles

Since we are on the topic of scale, have anyone noticed that at least some BBs appear to be remarkably small compared to the other ships?

I noticed this myself when it got pointed out and in a battle an Omaha collided with a Wyoming. The Omaha looked like a giant in comparison. I do understand that the USN BBs were short affairs, but even the mighty Yamato looks rather small when compared to cruisers. And the Amagi most certainly so.

I thought my Des Moines was out of scale when I sailed next to a Yamato... but then I looked them up and my ship irl was 37 meter shorter or something ( which on 200m + ships is nothing ). Some cruisers are just as big as battleships, look them up.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Des_Moines-class_cruiser

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yamato-class_battleship