You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
humphrey10

British Carriers

36 comments in this topic

[HARB]
Players
9 posts
5,600 battles

Hi all,

So i decided to try out the British CVs a couple of weeks ago in the aim of getting the audacious (so i can have at least one tier X CV) and i have been really struggling with both the implacable and the furious. Granted I am not experienced in CVs at all but i would say that I have a fair grasp of core game mechanics but i just cannot get them to work. I know the British are the weakest out of all the tier X CVs but is there a different way they should be played?

• Cool 1

Players
10,334 posts
12,044 battles
2 minutes ago, humphrey10 said:

Hi all,

So i decided to try out the British CVs a couple of weeks ago in the aim of getting the audacious (so i can have at least one tier X CV) and i have been really struggling with both the implacable and the furious. Granted I am not experienced in CVs at all but i would say that I have a fair grasp of core game mechanics but i just cannot get them to work. I know the British are the weakest out of all the tier X CVs but is there a different way they should be played?

UK carriers are shitty by design. Only way to "play" them is to not play them and go IJN/US.

• Cool 5
  • Funny 1

Players
2,141 posts
20,091 battles

For a CV line to learn on the British are probably the worst, I would recommend either of the other two lines to begin with and come back to the Royal Navy line once your more comfortable with CV play

[XTREM]
Players
2,036 posts
15,012 battles

The thing is, the UK CVs are very reliant on torps for damage. The other weapons are very ''meh'' especially the bombs - situational and low damage, heavily reliant on setting fires that stick for damage. They look fancy but they're weaksauce compared to other bombers. 

Carry potential is also relatively poor thanks to these bombers. 

It's all about the torps. 

Players
10,334 posts
12,044 battles
5 minutes ago, Miragetank90 said:

And then other nations have just as good, if not better torps to play with, on top of having useful other armament.

• Cool 5

[XTREM]
Players
2,036 posts
15,012 battles
1 minute ago, Panocek said:

And then other nations have just as good, if not better torps to play with, on top of having useful other armament.

Yeah. 

But, at least the torps have decent damage, good flood chance and a converging pattern, which helps. 

Not to mention, they're pretty good at turning and are tankier than the others, generally speaking. 

• Cool 1

Players
10,334 posts
12,044 battles
3 minutes ago, Miragetank90 said:

Yeah. 

But, at least the torps have decent damage, good flood chance and a converging pattern, which helps. 

Not to mention, they're pretty good at turning and are tankier than the others, generally speaking. 

"Tankier planes" is neutered by smaller squadron size with partial exception of Audacious, so overall hp per squadron remains the same. And then fighter planes kill planes on (mostly 1:1 basis). Thus smaller UK squadron is at disadvantage here.

[XTREM]
Players
2,036 posts
15,012 battles
1 minute ago, Panocek said:

"Tankier planes" is neutered by smaller squadron size with partial exception of Audacious, so overall hp per squadron remains the same. And then fighter planes kill planes on (mostly 1:1 basis). Thus smaller UK squadron is at disadvantage here.

True. Indomitable comes to mind. To make matters worse for her, she has no torps. 

For that reason, personally I consider her the worst T8 CV. Even Graf Zep is miles ahead by virtue of the fact that she has torps. 

So why do I play Indomitable so much? :Smile_hiding:

Top 10 greatest unsolved mysteries

• Cool 1

Players
3,538 posts

Rocket planes on the Audacious are devastating when you get them on target, as others say it is all about the torps, whilst yes the other CV's at tier ten have torps as good, both the Haku and Midway suffer from what I call  torp fan, you drive in and get shredded by flak or drop at the latest possible times and the torps go anywhere but where you want them, Midway is especially bad for this, but then other will also tell you it is the rockets and Bombs, especially the bombs on midway which is the 'party trick, at least the Audacious is the easiest to play at tier 10, also carpet bombing DD's if the have not already shredded you is quite fun, and in some cases unexpected by said DD's.

This is just what I find when out in the T10 heavies, there are many other who will give better accounts.

Players
8,456 posts
9,251 battles

Use rocket planes, try scout and if you find a DD kill it. If not, screw over some cruiser. Once the enemy stops trying to be aggressive, becsause DDs and aggressive cruisers are dead, take out the two types of bombers and try to stack DoT on BBs to actually get decent damage numbers. You'll never be as good as the IJN or USN, but against the average enemy you still can win a fair share of matches.

Players
504 posts
11,100 battles

I think the RN CVs are the most user friendly carriers to use with the bit tougher but slower/ fewer working with the new 8second delay. It will be interesting to how the bomblets work on Submarines, my Ark Royal will enjoy its revenge!

[ZEN]
Players
1,388 posts
14,522 battles

Actually all the RN CVs got the same nerf that Gearing got they now all get penned by 127mm HE as they were entirely coated in 21mm at T10 and mostly at T8, so now they are just as weakly armoured (or more weakly armoured in the case of T10 Decks) than the other CVs (this change also effected the GZ, funny how WG made sure to up all the T6-7 BBs armour by 1mm but not CVs or the Gearing...

[HARB]
Players
9 posts
5,600 battles

yeh I got the Ark Royal out of christmas loot boxes and actually really enjoyed it, dunno if its really good for its tier cause didnt enjoy the Ruijo and thats why i wanted to do the british CVs. About the torps on the brits, everyone is saying they are the bread and butter but considering that you only get two per run (on furious and impacable at least), what makes them special? the alpha strike isn't high enough to compensate that you are only dropping two compared to basically everyone else with three

[ZEN]
Players
1,388 posts
14,522 battles
1 minute ago, humphrey10 said:

yeh I got the Ark Royal out of christmas loot boxes and actually really enjoyed it, dunno if its really good for its tier cause didnt enjoy the Ruijo and thats why i wanted to do the british CVs. About the torps on the brits, everyone is saying they are the bread and butter but considering that you only get two per run (on furious and impacable at least), what makes them special? the alpha strike isn't high enough to compensate that you are only dropping two compared to basically everyone else with three

What makes them good is that the cone narrows to a point so that if you drop well you can basically always land all torps, Audacious gets 3 per drop just so you know, while Haku only has 2 per drop.

[-OOF-]
Beta Tester
2,201 posts
9,975 battles
2 minutes ago, humphrey10 said:

Ark Royal is at the top with Ruyjo for tier 6 CV's so it is indeed a good ship. Only real issue is the plane speeds.

As for the torps, the reason they are your bread and butter is because the other squads are kind of meh. If we take the Audacious for example, your rocket planes drop a crapton of rockets, but they got quite low HE pen so the only thing you will get reliable damage from is superstructure hits and DD's. Your bombers are a bit of the same story, they do get pretty decent HE pen but most BB's will still be resilient to them, and the slow drop and massive circle means precision strikes can be an issue.

So this leaves your torpedo bombers, with 3 torps that gets narrower the further they travel and has nice alpha if you land all 3. But honestly I don' think the UK CV line is that impressive. They look good but they are simply outshined by the US and IJN, both of which sport more powerful platforms and more useful plane loadouts.

[PISH]
Players
395 posts
3,629 battles

Having gotten the Audiacious I would share my thoughts. I am by no means any good carrier but the British CV forces you into a routine as pointed out here.

🤓
2 hours ago, Bunny_Lover_Kallen said:

Use rocket planes, try scout and if you find a DD kill it. If not, screw over some cruiser. Once the enemy stops trying to be aggressive, becsause DDs and aggressive cruisers are dead, take out the two types of bombers and try to stack DoT on BBs to actually get decent damage numbers. You'll never be as good as the IJN or USN, but against the average enemy you still can win a fair share of matches.

Target priority goes, DD - CL - CA - BB usually, ship gimmicks and such notwithstanding. If you have Cunnigham in one you might drop torps in between to get the speed talent triggered. Also, carpet-bombing DDs is hilariously effective while the rockets recharge. 

Also use the tankiness to spot longer for the team. 

Players
392 posts
3,934 battles
3 hours ago, Miragetank90 said:

The thing is, the UK CVs are very reliant on torps for damage. The other weapons are very ''meh'' especially the bombs - situational and low damage, heavily reliant on setting fires that stick for damage. They look fancy but they're weaksauce compared to other bombers. 

Carry potential is also relatively poor thanks to these bombers. 

True, but even then, brits got the worst torps out of all CV lines.....

Players
392 posts
3,934 battles
1 hour ago, Chaos_Umbra said:

What makes them good is that the cone narrows to a point so that if you drop well you can basically always land all torps, Audacious gets 3 per drop just so you know, while Haku only has 2 per drop.

That "converging" pattern is nothing but a lie. They always travel parallel.

They are easier to hit at tier 4 and 6 than US because the reticle closes faster and is narrower, but this changes from tier 8 and 10.

Players
8,456 posts
9,251 battles
32 minutes ago, Bratoev said:

Having gotten the Audiacious I would share my thoughts. I am by no means any good carrier but the British CV forces you into a routine as pointed out here.

Target priority goes, DD - CL - CA - BB usually, ship gimmicks and such notwithstanding. If you have Cunnigham in one you might drop torps in between to get the speed talent triggered. Also, carpet-bombing DDs is hilariously effective while the rockets recharge. 

Also use the tankiness to spot longer for the team. 

Honestly, carpet bombing DDs is often just wasted. It's almost better to try torp them, because even hitting 1-2 bombs, which by no means is guaranteed, is just chip damage for what takes a shitton of flight time. The only exception is Ark Royal, because it can consistently land bombs on small targets with its small reticle. I would argue that just by conserving your rocket planes for only anti-DD duty, you shouldn't ever need to rely on the other planes for that job though.

• Cool 1

Players
7,518 posts
245 battles

Weegee would probs make lusty, lumber and viccky weak as well (Illustrious, formidable and victorious). From what i've heard British CV's are the closest to balans out of all the carriers but no one plays them because of it.

They aren't impossible to win with but they lack the flexiblity of the USN line and the alpha strikes and concealment of the IJN line in general.

German CV's could probs be the worst CV line if they get released in their current state.

[PISH]
Players
395 posts
3,629 battles
14 minutes ago, CptBarney said:

From what i've heard British CV's are the closest to balans out of all the carriers but no one plays them because of it.

We needed a rework of the player base rather then the carriers.

Players
584 posts
3,808 battles

I've got the Furious and have Captain Conway as Commander since his skills heavily leaned towards CV's for whatever WG's reasons. This makes me interested in getting the Ark Royal(for ops) since by all accounts her failings would be the slow lower tier aircraft but with Cpt Conway it's easy to get a boost to cruising speed really quickly in a battle with just 2 flood dmg torps to active this skill for an additional 5% which btw, for those that are interested, stacks with the Improved Engine skill to make the cruising speed even faster. 

For example, on my Furious the standard cruising speed for torpedo bombers with no skills is 122 kts, with the IE skill it's 125 kts, with Cpt Conways LF skill it's 128 kts and with BOTH skills it's 131 kts. So that's 131 kts of cruising speed instead of 122kts as standard, pretty decent and certainly good news for an Ark Royal player I'd imagine though obviously the gains won't be and addition 9kts since it's % gain will be based on a slower base cruising speed but will still be a really nice gain and help prevent constantly wasting all the engine boost before getting to targets through sheer irritation of Ark Royals aircraft's slow cruising speeds. Cpt Conway also gives Aircraft Armor skill value of 11.5% so he's just really more beneficial to CV's than other classes.

Overall, while the Japanese Ryujo would be the undisputed king of my current T6 CV's, when it comes to the British and US alternatives I actually prefer the British CV so find myself playing the Furious a lot more than the U.S. Ranger. The reason for that is both the British and US torpedoes are the same speed only the British have a nice tight spread between their torpedoes while the US has a very wide spread which means, since both torps are really slow by comparison to the Jpn, the tight spread of the British compensates heavily for this and makes landing both torps on a target much more likely so long as you have the correct lead and harder for the target to avoid whereas with the large spread between the US torpedoes combined with that same slow torpedo speed means that landing both torps on anything other than a big slow BB is much harder, with cruisers and DD's generally being able to dodge at least one if not both torps as your release will be somewhat less than preferable too as you try and compensate for this large US torpedo spread and end up launching torps in a line really not ideal for either torpedo lol.

If I want a larger spread on the British torps vs a more agile ship that looks like he is just about to turn, I will simply just drop them midway through aiming at a spread angle that I see fit for the target and it's potential directional change but overall I would just really find the default tight spread of British torps much nicer than the US torps with their big gap between torps by default. The British aircraft also seem to turn and aim really fast too so they're really comfortable to play and so while British carriers are down a couple aircraft per squadron compared to the US, I find they more reliably land their torpedoes and with aircraft that are more comfortable and enjoyable to play. However, if both the British and US CV's are played to full potential, the US will still average more damage per battle, it's inevitable, the US simply flies more aircraft per squadron.

• Cool 1

[S-O-M]
Players
657 posts

Played Hermes, Furious and Ark Royal, lost the will to go any further in the line, the only real weapon is the carpet bomber, IGN definitely better.  All RN planes need a buff, want to play cvs ?, don’t go RN.

Players
3,042 posts

While I don't like them, I use the RN CVs as firestarters. Torps to finish stuff off after I let em burn for a while. Do a pass, fireboom let em repair, do another. It is not very efficient but it produces results but the other lines are far more enjoyable.

[LEEUW]
[LEEUW]
Players
493 posts
7,778 battles

When you begin playing CV's i would say US CV's are the best choice i guess. Then IJN and then RN.