Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Von_Friedeburg

the benefits of limited Ammo

12 comments in this topic

Beta Tester
20 posts
104 battles

I think when the Ammo is limited we will get way more interesting matches.

As first the matches will end up faster. Ships has to go closer combat. Carrier´s could stay on unlimited Ammo and will get a fair advantage again.

Battleships can use their secondary guns more and AP Ammo will get more attention because you can aim for something instead of just hoping for a hit on 20km range.

Destroyers have to think before they drop their torpedos.

Cruisers will get more attention of Players again because they can "survive" the Battleships Main Arnaments Ammo and then go close range to torp them.

And a lot more unfigured changes would happen. Lets discuss!

I say: It has to be enough Ammo for permanently firing of 4 minutes.

for example that means around 8 loadouts for Battleships for all guns.

I would drive the Battleship in another way then. Using mainly the front batteries and never over 10k Range. And i would try to give a smaller target for the enemy instead of opening my side just to use all guns i got.

And i would hope for destroyers and cruisers close to me to help against enemy destroyers trying to come for me :-)

And i think some Players like those who dont want to die ( ahhh how we call them again? xDD ) can still stay in back and hope for the luckshot when they all aim for the first spotted ship.

Maybe they kill it and the Enemy Team has an early loss. But the other Team lost a ton of Ammo and has to go close range only after a few more shots while Players with another playstyle are waiting for that situation and can hunt those empty ships on 5km range for example to stay out of secondary fire but close enough to make sure hard hits

Edited by Von_Friedeburg
  • Cool 2

[HF_30]
Beta Tester
193 posts
4,207 battles

Or we could keep the game fun and not add this.

• Cool 1

Beta Tester
20 posts
104 battles

Or we could keep the game fun and not add this.

Why you think its no more fun when the Ammo is limited? What type of Player are you? Would be nice when you explain a bit

btw i for myself love watching 2 Battleships getting close to 2km range. Explosions everywhere and everything starts burning. Thats awesome!

Edited by Von_Friedeburg

Beta Tester
1,151 posts

Why you think its no more fun when the Ammo is limited? What type of Player are you? Would be nice when you explain a bit

Because a CV skipper already has limited planes, and when those are shot down he can do nothing other than drive around like a gooseberry waiting to be plucked. The ships we use had hundreds/thousands of rounds in storage that would easily last the engagement time we have. Limited ammo for guns doesn't have a place in this game.

Weekend Tester
1,668 posts
32 battles

Would be absolutely pointless, A cruiser/battleship carried 150-200 rounds per gun a Destroyer carried 450

You could quite literally fire non-stop for 18-20 minutes until you deplete your ammo.

A Gearing could fire around 18 minutes straight and that ship has the fastest(prepatch) RoF with the lowest ammo supply....

Edited by Bl4ckh0g

[HF_30]
Beta Tester
193 posts
4,207 battles

btw i for myself love watching 2 Battleships getting close to 2km range. Explosions everywhere and everything starts burning. Thats awesome!

Simple every one would gather up and it would become a rolling death ball and given how BB can repair all you would do is have a few BB's go forward take some hits pull back repair and cycle out the BB's till you run the enemy out of ammo. There would still be players shelling at max range once all ammo is done avoid fighting for the rest of the game that sure sounds like loads of fun every one out of ammo giving each other mean looks in the hope it will sink them.

The game is not built around been careful and using the guns like sniper rifles ships are made to hurl loads of shells at each other and i mean loads i am talking more than any one would use in any 1 round.

If you want to end up making a bland dull game sure force a cap on ammo but when the player base has all of a sudden become as big as WOWP you will be like dam maybe this was a stupid thing to do.

Beta Tester
30 posts

If they add limited ammo, they would need to also add strategic withdrawl. Otherwise it becomes World of Kamikaze Ramming Warships That Have No Ammo Left, which would destroy the realism a lot more than unlimited ammo.

Allowing ships to withdraw brings a lot of its own problems to the table though.

[HF_30]
Beta Tester
193 posts
4,207 battles

But opens a lot more strategical options instead of just fire until you are dead

It remove's just as many as it might open up.

Beta Tester
18 posts
1,591 battles

dude i dont think matches are long enough in this game for ships to run out of ammo unless we get unhistorical loadouts

Players
299 posts
692 battles

Battleships could fire for like hours on end and not exhaust their ammo supply. Iowa's for example carried around 1000-1200 16" rounds with propellant iirc. 

Rough calculation at optimal firing rate of 2 rounds per minute, with 133 salvos worth of ammo on board (400 rounds per turret, 133 rounds per gun) = 66,5 minutes of nonstop firing. 

Edited by chaplainDMK

Sign in to follow this